• Published 8th Jan 2017
  • 4,014 Views, 317 Comments

Our Year - AJtheRaven



Applejack and Rainbow Dash are deeply in love - and deeply clueless. Follow them on their final year at Canterlot High as they try to admit their feelings - a year full of tears and laughter, fun and friendship, and eventually something more: love.

  • ...
6
 317
 4,014

Chapter Ten

~ One Day Later~


The next day, Rainbow Dash shot out of bed at precisely five thirty in the morning, not wanting to annoy her best friend by showing up to her farm late. Although AJ hadn't told Rainbow to arrive at a particular time, the athlete knew that turning up early would impress her, and Rainbow wasn't one to ever miss an opportunity to impress.

Just to confirm the time, Rainbow rubbed the sleep from her eyes and squinted hard at her battered alarm clock. Yep, it was actually 5:30, thank goodness; her sleep patterns hadn't been negatively affected by the enormous amounts of candy she'd consumed yesterday for Halloween. She sighed with relief, impressed at herself for actually hearing the alarm clock and jerking awake. It was incredibly easy to mistake an 8 for a 6 when you were half-asleep - that mistake had made her late to school many times before - so she didn't have much faith in her early morning time-reading abilities. At least she’d been able to scrounge up a couple dollars last night for a bus ticket - otherwise she'd have had to wake up a couple hours earlier so she could walk to Sweet Apple Acres on time.

Yawning attractively (well, of course, she was Rainbow Dash, it was physically impossible for her to do anything unattractively), she stretched her arms behind her head and flexed her legs to relax her muscles. Loose strands of polychromatic locks tangled together across her forehead as she raked a hand through her hair. Dash turned around, regarding her rumpled blankets with a look of flat annoyance. She really didn't feel like making her bed.

Shrugging, she carelessly tossed her sheets over her lumpy pillow and gently arranging the teddy bear she refused to admit to anyone that she owned on top of her mattress (his name was Apples. Absolutely not inspired by Applejack. Not at all). Then Rainbow cracked the window open, illuminating her dreary bedroom with its cracked and stained walls in pale grey light - the sun hadn't quite risen yet.

Rainbow’s bedroom was a small, hole-in-the-wall affair, with barely enough room for a bed and a desk. She had almost no room to maneuver in it and had had to stuff most of her few personal possessions in her cramped closet, and there was no ceiling fan. In summer, the oppressing heat was so unbearable that she often slept on the cold kitchen tiles in order to stay cool - and in winter, it was so cold that she often awoke to find her poorly insulated windows coated in a sheet of ice. Sadly, with her current circumstances, this pathetic bedroom and apartment was all she had.

The bedroom would have been quite Spartan in style if Rainbow hadn't plastered the walls and ceilings with posters of her favorite sports teams and pictures of her friends. Every day when she came home from school to this miserable hellhole, these pictures were all she had to remind her that she wasn't the only person who thought she was awesome. She had six amazing friends who cared about her and loved her, and she could be grateful for that if nothing else.

Brushing her jagged bangs out of her eyes, Rainbow left her room and slipped into the kitchen. It was hardly a long walk; this apartment was so small that you could get anywhere you needed to go in ten steps or less. Rainbow tapped the light switch and a dingy fluorescent bulb flickered on, humming loudly. It was second nature by now to ignore the obnoxious sound. Feeling a rumble in her stomach, the tall girl opened the fridge and stared hopefully at its dismal contents. Leftover chocolate cake from one of Pinkie’s recent sleepovers, a few bags of old spinach that were probably moldy by now, some lettuce leaves, a carton of orange juice, and several cups of yogurt. That was it. Her pantry wasn't any better: a box of Cheerios, a plastic bag full of dry-looking almonds, and an unopened container of tomato soup.

Dash’s lips curled in distaste at her choices. Ewww. I really have to go shopping soon. The chocolate cake was the most appetizing thing on the menu, but Rainbow’s stomach couldn't handle so much sugar first thing in the morning, and she'd rather die than be sick in front of AJ. With a reluctant groan, she grabbed a vanilla yogurt container and a handful of almonds and scarfed them both down in a few seconds. She wasn't too fond of either, but she knew they were healthy and helped contribute to a good runner’s diet, so she put up with them.

Dash chucked the empty container into the overflowing kitchen trash can. Her stomach mewled into protest, demanding more food, but Rainbow had nothing to give it. At least she didn't have to wash any dishes. Forcing her hunger aside, she stepped over to the kitchen sink to peer out of the grimy kitchen window at the dreary street scene below.

It was depressing, as usual.

Rainbow’s eyes dulled. Unable to bear the sight anymore, she went back to her bedroom, past her tiny armchair and twenty-year-old TV set, and scooped up some clothes before heading to the bathroom.

The bathroom was just as shabby as the rest of the apartment. Mold curled over the ceiling above the bathtub, and the mirror seemed permanently fogged with condensation. The tiles were chipped and broken, and the sink released no more than a thin trickle of water that was actually slightly red with rust for a few seconds after you turned it on. But Rainbow didn't have any money in her budget to fix these problems, so she did her best to ignore them. She slipped out of her pajamas, a faded white tank top and black running shorts with a white stripe, and stepped gingerly into the shower. As usual, the water was freezing. Oh joy. Rainbow showered as fast as she could, hopping from one foot to the next and cursing loudly as the cold sank into her very bones. Shivering, the athlete towered herself off and changed into a pair of jeans and a thin T-shirt. As an afterthought, she added a sweatshirt to the ensemble, realizing that the day would probably be crisp and chilly.

Finally, Rainbow stepped closer to the mirror, impatiently swiped it with her jacket sleeve to clear away the moisture, and ran her hands through her hair until it stood on end. She nodded smugly, flashing herself a cocky grin. Satisfied, she darted out… and then sheepishly trooped back in, remembering that she'd forgotten to brush her teeth. No way in hell was she letting this day be ruined by some potentially bad breath.

Now she was ready to leave. Rainbow swiped her tongue around her teeth in satisfaction, a heady, minty flavor coursing through her mouth, and left the bathroom. Tank, her tortoise, silently and slowly pawed the bars of his cage when he saw her emerge. Rainbow paused to slip a lettuce leaf into his cage and affectionately rub his head before slipping out the door of her tiny flat and locking it behind her.

The tall buildings of Canterlot loomed behind her as she left her apartment, dull and gray in the early-morning light. By now, wisps of red and pink were beginning to peep over the horizon. Rainbow exhaled slowly, turned away from the city, and began to march towards the sunrise - towards hope, and towards Applejack.

Her flat was right on the edge of Canterlot City, surrounded by a horde of similarly dreary apartment buildings. At least the streets were wide and well-organized, and sometimes the sunshine, when there was any, made the windows sparkle like diamonds. It was a rather crime-ridden area, however. Rainbow had had to learn how to take care of herself real well and real fast. At least school was only ten miles away - a pain in the ass to run that far, but she could do it in fifty minutes. It was too bad she didn't really have that ‘hot sports car’ she kept telling everyone about. Then again, living in the city meant that she only lived a few blocks away from everywhere she needed to go (except school), and there was a bus stop five minutes away if she really needed to travel a long distance and had enough money to actually do it.

Rainbow Dash headed in the direction of this bus stop now, shoving her hands in her pockets, tucking her hair into the hood of her sweatshirt, and arranging her face into a mask of cold confidence in an attempt to look cool and dangerous. There were usually some unsavory characters prowling the streets at this time of day - and at all times, really - and she'd learned that looking like somebody you didn't want to mess this was the first step to keeping these sorts of people away from her (It also scared away most ordinary, innocent people, apart from the people she personally knew, but Rainbow was beyond caring).

A tall man with blue-tinged skin smirked at her as she walked by, and she shivered beneath her sweatshirt. His name was Talzotl, and he was well-known around these parts of town for his willingness to do anything for the right price. Even Rainbow was a bit creeped out by the thought of approaching him. Drawing her shoulders together, she hurried on.

Miraculously, a bus was already waiting at the bus stop when Rainbow neared the curb. She wordlessly hopped aboard, nodded to the surly-looking driver, and fed her money into the meter, feeling a pang of sadness as the machine swallowed it. At least she had enough money left over for a return ticket.

The bus driver pulled the bus away from the curb before Dash could even sit down, the jerky movement causing her to stumble backwards and fall into a seat with a painful thud. “Jerk,” she muttered darkly, regaining her balance and crossing her arms moodily. At least she was the only person on the bus, so no one else had witnessed her embarrassing moment.

Forcing herself to put her annoyance aside, Rainbow drew in a deep breath, Applejack’s calming face swimming into her mind. Lost in thought, the athlete barely noticed as the dilapidated bus left the city behind and chugged hoarsely into the countryside, belching out clouds of black smoke.

The bus soon pulled up to the curb at Applejack’s atop, about fifteen minutes by foot from her house, and Rainbow shook herself out of her reverie and dismounted. As she strode down the road, her shoulders hunched, the crumbly gravel eventually gave way to pure dirt. Sweet Apple Acres soon came into view around the bend, its weathervane swinging slightly. Rainbow grinned in anticipation and picked up her pace, a bounce in her step. She stifled a tiny smirk as she caught sight of a strand of fake cobweb draped over the balcony; apparently, the Apples had gotten into the Halloween spirit yesterday and left a little something behind.

Applejack was perched on a stool at the edge of her driveway, wearing jeans and a flannel jacket and idly working her jaw. Her jade eyes brightened when Dash loped into view, and she stood up to pull her into a rough hug. “Nice t’ have ya, R.D. What took ya so long? Ah was waitin’ fer ages.”

“What?” Rainbow protested. “But I got here so early!”

AJ laughed. “Jus’ messin’ with ya. Ah'm impressed ya got here before sunup - nice job. Though we ain't startin’ th’ cider-makin’ fer a while yet.” She leaned back and scrutinized Rainbow with a frown. “How come ya look so thin?”

Heh, probably because I don't have anything to eat in my fridge except spinach. “Uh, you know, just trying to stay slim.”

Applejack snorted. “Well, yore a farmer t’day, gal. That means yore gonna eat jus’ as much as th’ rest of us. C’mon - let's getcha fed.” Her blonde braid, tucked beneath her trademark Stetson, swung around her flannel as she hooked her arm inside Rainbow’s and dragged her inside the house.

A warm fire crackled in the hearth, negating the effects of the chill breeze that has been prickling the hairs on the back of Rainbow Dash’s neck. She sighed with relief and stretched her fingers towards the cheerful flames, reveling in the coziness of her friend’s home, as Applejack headed into the kitchen. Rainbow could hear Big Mac’s deep baritone, Apple Bloom’s shrill soprano, and Granny’s warbling tones coming from upstairs, and smiled a little to herself. Trust Applejack to be the first one downstairs and ready to start the day.

The cowgirl soon returned bearing a glass of milk and a plate on which lay a steaming hot apple turnover and a piece of lightly buttered, slightly burnt toast - just the way Rainbow liked it, although she wasn't sure how Applejack could possibly have known that. “Baked th’ turnovers this mornin’,” AJ said casually. “So they should be pretty fresh.”

Rainbow’s jaw fell open. That meant she'd been up since at least four-thirty.

Applejack didn't seem to notice. “An’ here's some milk.”

Dash turned up her nose at the proffered glass and crossed her arms. “Milk’s for little kids.”

AJ gave her the evil eye. “It’s nutritious. Take it.”

She took it.

Clutching her plate and the glass of milk, Rainbow followed Applejack out onto the front porch and settled comfortably into a rocking chair with a wistful look back at the fireplace inside the house. She bit into the turnover, murmuring her approval as the soft tang of apples and cinnamon filled her mouth, and followed it up with a sip of fresh milk (which, she had to admit, tasted really good). The two girls watched in silence as gold and pink streamers shot across the sky like shooting stars, heralding the sun’s ascension over the horizon. Rainbow bit her lip to prevent a choked sob from coming out: sitting here, watching the sunrise with Applejack, was a miracle that she hadn't even dared to dream about for years - but here she was.

Without warning, Applejack reached over and took Dash’s hand in her own, still staring straight ahead at the sunrise. Maybe she'd somehow read Rainbow’s mind, or maybe she just felt like holding someone’s hand. Either way, Rainbow was grateful for the contact. She stared down at Applejack’s hand, taking on the freckles that dotted her wrists and the smooth granules of flour that lined the creases of her knuckles from her baking endeavors earlier that morning, and felt warmth rise to her face. Crap. Is this romantic or just friendly? Should I squeeze her hand back? Gah. What do I do?

Fortunately, the problem was solved for her as Applejack suddenly disentangled her hand and brought it up to her head to adjust her Stetson. Rainbow took the opportunity to snatch another quick bite of the turnover, getting sticky apples all over her fingers in the process. She grinned wickedly, seeing a way to lighten the mood, and held her hand up for AJ’s inspection. “Still wanna hold my hand, cowgirl?”

Applejack crinkled her nose. “Ew. Think Ah’ll pass this time, thanks.”

Dash shrugged and wiped her hand on her sweater, ignoring her best friend’s stare of disapproval. “Suit yourself. So what happens next? When do we get started with the cider making?”

She must have unobtrusively licked her lips or drooled or something at the mention of cider, because Applejack’s frown cleared and she laughed and shot Rainbow an easy smile. “Well, what happens next is we wait fer’ th’ farmhands and th’ other Apples t’ show up. Farm’s usually jus’ th’ right size fer me, Granny, Mac, and Bloom t’ handle, but not on cider makin’ day.” Still smiling, she leaned forwards and lightly touched her index finger to Rainbow’s nose. “Ah’m goin’ in t’ get some food. Y’all comin’?”

Rainbow felt a blush rise to her face. Play it cool, Dash. Play it cool. “Uh, s-sure.” She stood up and followed the farmgirl inside.

***

Half an hour later, AJ, Granny, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom had gathered in a clearing in the middle of the apple orchard, surrounded by a smattering of hired farmhands and other Apples who’d come from out of town to join in the fun (They usually came once in early November for the cider making and then again for an Apple family reunion sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas so they could taste the cider after it had been aged). Rainbow herself, feeling slightly uncomfortable, lurked in the back of the group beneath the shade of a large apple tree.

An expectant hush fell over the glade as Applejack cleared her throat and stepped up to a small hill that served as her podium, Winona prancing around her heels. Applejack was not only the eldest daughter in her immediate family but currently the oldest teenaged girl in the entire Apple clan; as such, the responsibility of giving a speech to open cider season fell on her shoulders, according to some weird Apple family tradition. Her freckled cheeks flushed red in the cold, early-morning air, and her hair seemed to glow with gold. “Uh, thanks fer comin’, everybody,” she began plainly, twisting her hat in her hands and looking rather uncomfortable. Rainbow couldn't resist an eye roll. Why do they make her do this every year? She's clearly horrible at it. She knew how much AJ hated being the center of attention.

The cowgirl squared her shoulders and made a brave effort to continue. “Uh, well, welcome t’ Cider Season. We, uh, had a real good crop this year, an’…” She paused, racking her brains. “…And, and, Ah think we’re gonna make some delicious cider t’day. Y’all know the drill. Hosin’, pressin’, lunch break, more pressin’, barrelin’.” Her voice slowly grew in strength as she grew accustomed to speaking. “So without further ado, let th’ cider season begin!”

The crowd erupted in cheers, and Winona barked frantically and jumped up on Applejack’s chest to give her an excited lick. Laughing, AJ gently pushed her down and then hopped down off the hill, jamming her Stetson back on her head. Her firm stride exuded confidence: Apple family tradition - that same oldest-daughter-in-the-family thing - dictated that she was in charge of the cider-making today, so despite her distaste for being the center of attention she still had to act the part of a leader. Rainbow, though, could tell that a AJ was a born leader, even if she didn't know it herself yet.

As the athlete watched, the farmhands and family members huddled around AJ to receive their instructions. Applejack sent several of the biggest, most strapping young men, including Big Mac, in the direction of the barn. Curious, Rainbow slunk closer and tapped her friend on the shoulder. “Hey, AJ. Where are they going?”

“Ah sent them t’ get the cider presses an’ th’ apples,” she whispered back.

An elderly lady who looked just a little bit younger than Granny Smith beamed in Rainbow’s friend. “Oh, Jackie, you didn't tell me you brought your friend Rainbow Smash along! Do you remember me?” The last part was directed to Rainbow.

Rainbow cringed a little at the horrific injustice done to her name but knew Applejack would pound her into the ground if she said anything rude to her family. “Um… yeah, of course I remember you, heh,” she lied. “Long time no see?”

The old lady cooed in adoration. “Oh, I should say so! Why, last time I saw you, you were just a little slip of a girl. You sneaked into our family reunion several years ago with Applejack's help and we caught you two diving naked into the pond when - ”

“Alright, that's enough, Great-Auntie,” Applejack cut in, just as red-faced as Rainbow. “No more. Please.”

Granny Smith cackled. “Still have a picture of you two skinny-dippin’ in th’ family album.”

“Oh my God,” Rainbow said. “Shoot me now.”

Fortunately, before the talk could degenerate even further, the boys returned from the barn. Most of them were lugging two wheelbarrows full to the brim with apples, and the rest were each carrying a cider press. They set down the items in front of Applejack and waited silently for her next instructions.

“AJ, can I? Can I?” Apple Bloom begged silently, offering her big sister a huge, gap-toothed smile.

A gleam came into AJ’s eyes. “Ah reckon now’s as good a time as any,” she conceded. “AB, go git th’ hose.”

Whooping with glee, Apple Bloom bounded off and returned a few seconds later dragging a huge green hose behind her. Grinning broadly, she hefted the hose as high as she could and beckoned to her cousin Babs, who had come all the way from Manhattan. “C’mon, Babs! Let's spray ‘em!”

Together, the two girls dragged the hose over to each wheelbarrow in turn as Applejack strode over to the barn and cranked the water on. The hose was old like the rest of the farm and sputtered a bit at first, but soon a strong jet of water shot from its tip and thoroughly doused all the apples. The girls shrieked with glee as a fine mist of water sprayed over them, but they continued onwards anyway to the laughter of the grown ups behind them. Winona pranced around beneath the water, her brown coat dampening to a sparkling black, then came and shook herself off all over Applejack, inciting even more laughter.

Rainbow grinned as Applejack frowned at Winona, her honey blonde hair dripping down her back. Raising an eyebrow, the cowgirl took off her hat and deliberately wrung it out so that droplets spattered Rainbow’s face. The tall athlete only grinned wider. Standing her amidst a horde of Applejack’s relatives, being teased by her best friend and watching Applejack and Babs play in the water, Rainbow felt like she was with the family she'd never had.

Soon enough, the apples were all clean, their skins glowing in brilliant hues of red and green. Apple Bloom hurried off to turn off and stow away the hose while Applejack issued instructions to the rest of her family. “Alraght. Let's git t’ pressin’.” Most of the people in the glade sat down at one of the cider presses, which were all neatly clustered in a circle so that everyone could talk to each other while they worked, each one next to a wheelbarrow full of apples. “Guess Ah don’ need t’ tell y’all how these work,” she conceded with a smile as everyone nodded assent and got to work. A rumble of chatter rose in the air as the Apple family took the opportunity to catch up with relatives both old and young.

Applejack turned to the remainder of the people who hadn't sat down at a cider press, most of them old women and a few young girls. “Granny, do you wanna take everybody here inside t’ get th’ lunch started?”

“Sure as sugar, Jackie,” she answered, fondly patting her granddaughter’s cheek. Granny raised her voice. “Last one in’s a rotten apple!” she hollered, gathering her skirts and sprinting inside with in an unexpected display of agility Rainbow had never expected, followed by a horde of similarly impossibly fast old women.

Dash’s jaw dropped. “Whoa.”

AJ chuckled. “Mah Granny was a big racer back in her day. Won all th’ Apple family competitions. Still ain't lost her fire.”

“No kidding,” Rainbow agreed, awestruck. “I should race her sometime. Who do you think’d win?”

Applejack snorted. “Ya kiddin’? Granny, o’ course.”

Rainbow laughed, but then her smile faltered. “Hang on, was that a joke?”

AJ shrugged mysteriously, turned around, and strode off, her boots thudding against the grass. Rainbow dashed after her. “Hold up, where are we going? How come we're not cider pressing?”

“‘Cause we’re gonna go fetch th’ barrels first,” she answered, without turning around.

“Ugh. When are we gonna get to the actual cider?”

“Hold yore horses,” AJ said amusedly. “Gotta do th’ hard work b’fore we can have some fun.”

Light dappled the floor of the barn as Applejack creaked the door open. The horses had been out to pasture, so the barn seemed eerily empty. The back wall was lined with thick wooden barrels. Rainbow Dash frowned. “We have to carry all of these out?”

AJ raised an eyebrow. “How else they gonna git out? ‘Course we’re gonna carry ‘em. Or ya can roll ‘em, if yore too scared t’ work yore muscles.”

Oh no she didn't. “Are you kidding me?” Rainbow challenged, crossing her arms. “My arms are way stronger than those puny little things you try to pass off as limbs. Let's do this.”

“Wow, ain't Ah lucky t’ be around someone so mature,” Applejack fired back sarcastically. To an outsider, it might have appeared as though the two of them were gearing up for an argument - but they both knew they were having the time of their lives. “Alraght then, show me whatcha got, R.D.”

She picked up a barrel and promptly dropped the damn thing on her toe.

With a supreme amount of willpower, she managed to avoid howling in pain and hopping around the barn while clutching her toe. Instead, she swore violently, taking some pleasure in the sight of Applejack’s rapidly reddening face. “What's the matter, cowgirl?” Dash wheezed. “Never heard some real swearing before?”

The concern in Applejack’s face quickly melted away, replaced by amusement. Rainbow must have been feeling better if she was able to insult her. “Ah did warn ya,” she chided her, her freckles seeming to twinkle boldly in the light flickering through the barn door. “Ain't mah fault ya got a mule’s mind under that eyesore ya call hair.”

Rainbow winced. “Jesus, AJ. Let up a little, I just smashed my toe!” In other words, she didn't have a good enough comeback for that.

Applejack sidled closer and plucked the barrel off Rainbow’s foot with ease, inspecting it closely. “Well, at least ya didn't dent mah barrel.”

“Are you kidding me? That's what you're worried about?”

Tipping her Stetson back over her forehead, Applejack shot her a winning smile. “Believe me, if’n you’d really got hurt, Ah’d’ve carried ya t’ th’ hospital mahself. But ya seem fine, so suck it up an’ come help me git these outside.”

Her words sounded a bit harsh, but Rainbow loved her to death for them. Out of all their friends, even though she never failed to show concern when Rainbow got hurt, Applejack seemed to trust more than anyone that Rainbow could take care of herself. She never tried to hold her back or restrain her limits, and Rainbow loved that when she was AJ, she was free to fly sky-high. So instead of firing back with a sharp retort, she snapped a quick salute and took her barrel back from Applejack, managing not to drop it this time - although she came very close to doing so out of distraction when Applejack scooped up not one but two barrels, one under each arm, her muscles straining very attractively.

It took the two girls several trips throughout the course of an hour to transport all the barrels outside. Near the end, Rainbow Dash was so exhausted that she had to resort to rolling the barrels after all, much to her chagrin. Applejack, kindly, never said a word, just continuing to carry two barrels at a time with her usual mild demeanor and friendly smile. Finally, when the last barrel had been brought to the clearing, Rainbow cracked her knuckles and stood to her full height, her muscles shivering. Her tanned body was gleaming with sweat. I must look disgusting.

“Ya look disgustin’,” AJ said, handing her a damp towel. “Here. Dry off.”

“Gee, thanks.” Glowering, Rainbow snatched the towel and swiped it over her face and hands. It came away even damper then before. Not even remotely grossed it - Rainbow handled sweaty towels all the time after track - she tossed it mischievously to AJ, who cringed as it stuck to her shoulder with a wet plop. “Dangit, I was aiming for your face.”

Without missing a beat, Applejack plucked the towel off her shirt and threw it at Rainbow’s face so forcefully that it almost knocked her over. “Bulls-eye,” she smirked.

“No more tomfoolery, you two,” Mac called out, his arms steadily working the cider press as he glanced over at her. “Git t’ work, now.”

“She started it!” they protested jointly. Applejack narrowed her eyes at Rainbow. “Liar.”

Dash blew her a very mature raspberry.

“Hmph.” Without sparing her a backwards glance, Applejack strode off towards the only cider press that remained unclaimed. Allowing herself a pat on the back for her victory, Rainbow jogged after her.

The clearing resounded with friendly greetings from the Apple clan as Applejack took her seat at the cider press. Rainbow crouched next to the press, her hand spread against an apple barrel for balance. “So how does this work?”

Arching an eyebrow, Applejack gestured to the rest of the cider presses currently being used. “How do ya think?”

She felt stupid instantly. “Oh, right. Turn the crank, the apples get crushed.”

“Bingo. It ain't rocket science.” She chuckled, her nose crinkling adorably, and Rainbow felt her heart lurch a little. To disguise the sudden blush that had crept over her cheeks, she reached into the apple barrel and fished around for a shiny red apple. “Uh, here. I can feed in the apples.”

“Fine by me.” Slipping off her flannel jacket and rolling up her sleeves to reveal her tanned, muscular forearms, AJ dropped Rainbow’s apples into the cider press and began cranking, whistling a cheery tune under her breath.

Even her whistling is gorgeous. I can't stand it. Dash pretended not to be listening and continued throwing apples in AJ’s direction, occasionally missing on purpose just to watch AJ’s flat stare of annoyance as an apple bounced off her elbow or shoulder and, one time, even her nose. They continued in the shame fashion until the sun was almost directly overhead, at which point Granny Smith stuck her head out of the farmhouse and yelled, “Applejaaaaaack! We need yore help with th’ lunch!”

The entire yard quieted as everyone turned to stare, and AJ’s face turned bright red. “Wow. Your granny is loud,” Rainbow commented, mainly just to break the silence.

Applejack exhaled, pushing air past her lips and wiping a droplet of sweat from her forehead. “Tell me about it. Well, guess Ah better git on inside. Ya comin’?”

“Nowhere else I'd rather be.” Slipping off her own jacket and letting it collapse onto Applejack’s stool, Rainbow followed her friend into the farmhouse.

Actually, it was more like a madhouse at the moment. The walls seemed to vibrate with activity as raised voices hollered from the kitchen, and various smells seemed to compete with each other for dominance. Rainbow caught a whiff of baking bread, apple pie, and sweet potato stew. Licking he lips instinctively, her stomach growling, she trailed after AJ in the kitchen.

“What can Ah do, Granny?” Applejack asked dutifully, squeezing past the ten other women who crowded the space as they worked finish making lunch, arguing about whether or not pie crust should be refrigerated before use and other such nonsense that Rainbow neither understood nor cared about.

“Salad,” Granny answered at once, her eyes clear and alert. She was always at her more attentive when she was in the kitchen. “Over there by the window. Needs tossin’. An’ a bit o’ that apple vinaigrette, Ah’m thinking.”

“‘Kay. C’mon, Dash. You can help me out.”

It turned out that ‘helping out’ involved picking through spinach leaves and sorting out the good ones from the bad ones. “This is incredibly undignified,” Rainbow whined. “How come you're stuck making salad, anyway? Can't you bake, like, the best pies ever and stuff?”

“Ah’m just doing what Ah was asked t’ do,” Applejack said reprovingly, her eyes streaked with gold in the sunlight streaming through the window. “This ain't mah fav’rite thing t’ do. But ya just gotta be happy with whatcha got, y’know?”

She held up her hands in defeat. “Whoa. Okay, Principal Celestia.” But secretly, Rainbow admired AJ for her outlook, for the intelligence that gleamed in her eyes, as wise and green and beautiful as an ancient forest.

Not that she'd ever admit it.

Finally, when they had finished the salad, a procession of old ladies streamed from the farmhouse out onto the lawn, proudly bearing the fruits of their labor, also with a very sour-looking Rainbow Dash. Neither she nor Applejack had wanted to carry the salad bowl outside with the rest of the food, so they had settled the decision with a brief tussle (which AJ had won, much to Dash’s annoyance. Now she had to watch Applejack smirking at her, arms crossed, from the sidelines).

The men had been busy as well. Several long trestle tables jostled for position in the clearing, at which everyone was already impatiently seated. As quickly as possible, Rainbow deposited the salad bowl and backed away. “Okay. What now?”

AJ slung a friendly arm around her back, and Rainbow was so caught up in the thrill of the moment that she forgot to feel flustered. “Ya eat. What else?”

***

The afternoon passed quickly after the meal, which, as expected, had been delicious. A chill breeze began to whip through the air, and Rainbow had to shrug on her jacket once more. She marveled at AJ’s endurance; she was like a walking sea of freckles bearing a hurricane as she strode forward, hollering orders, without her jacket.

All too soon, the cidermaking process was finished. Every last drop of cider had been barreled and infused with spices, and the entire family had helped roll them into the barn for storage. Soon, they all began to trickle away, promising to return in December for their annual family reunion, leaving the Apple siblings, Granny Smith, and Rainbow all alone on the lawn. Leaves whispered around their feet, stirred by the wind, and Rainbow felt her cheeks beginning to tingle from the cold, but she didn't want to leave just yet. If she was cold here, then her apartment would be even colder. Besides, she just didn't want this day to end. She knew she might not have another one like it for a long time.

Apparently, Applejack was of the same mind. “Rainbow, do ya wanna take a walk around th’ farm a little? There ain't much cleanup t’ do from t’day, an’ Ah finished mosta mah chores yesterday, so…”

“I’d love to,” she answered immediately. “Hey, race you to the woods!” Laughing mischievously, she dug her heels into the loam and then streaked off like a rocket, basking in the rush of cold wind streaking by her face. Behind her, she dimly heard Applejack swearing at her as she followed in pursuit, but Rainbow pretended to ignore her and increased her speed.

The farmgirl was hot on her heels when Rainbow Dash suddenly skidded to a stop, her chest heaving. “You guys have leaf piles?” She pointed to the left at the tall stack of leaves that had caught her attention. “I thought her hat was, like, only in books and stuff.”

Applejack scratched her head in bewilderment. “Uh, nope. Why wouldn't they be real?”

She shrugged. “Dunno. Just seems really old-fashioned.” Crouching, Rainbow curled her fist around two leaves and them shoved their stems up her nostrils. “Hey, look at me.” She crossed her eyes and gave Applejack a goofy grin.

The farmgirl pretended to be unamused, but her mouth was twitching in a smile. “Yore a riot, Dash.”

“Don'tcha know it, baby.” Rainbow glanced up just in time to see Applejack’s body shudder briefly. “Hey, are you cold?” She crossed over to AJ and gently swung her own jacket around her shoulders, finding it adorable that the sleeves were long enough to cover her hands, but knowing that if she said so aloud she risked getting a handprint embedded in her face.

Applejack tried to protest, but Rainbow was having none of it. “I'll be fine, AJ. I’m not cold at all.”

That was a lie, and they both knew it. But Applejack also knew that the only person who could match her own stubbornness was Rainbow herself. So rather than continue her protests, she merely cupped a hand to Rainbow’s cheek and said, “Thank ya, darlin’.”

Her hand was freezing, but somehow her touch filled Rainbow with warmth anyway. Not knowing how to respond, she jerked away. “Come on. I wanna jump in that huge-ass leaf pile.”

“No, wait.” AJ caught her by the arm. “Let's wrestle first. Ya know, like we did when we were kids.”

Rainbow grinned, recalling their childhood days when they would troop back into the farmhouse covered in dirt, leaves, fresh scratches - and broad, matching smiles. “Alright. You wanna go for a roll with me, cowgirl?” She stoped herself just shy of making a sly innuendo.

Without pausing to answer, Applejack kicked off her boots, threw herself at Rainbow, and tackled her to the ground.

Rainbow yelped in surprise as she was thrown backwards. She started laughing. “So you really wanna do this? Alright, let's do this!” She rolled out from underneath Applejack and gave her a playful shove that knocked her backwards.

They laughed heartily as they tussled, rolling back and forth surrounded by a cloud of dust. Applejack whipped her hair across Dash’s face to disorient her, and Rainbow retaliated by mischievously running her fingers down the length of Applejack’s sides, where she knew the farmgirl had ticklish spots. Applejack snorted with laughter and nearly lost her balance, but regained it just in time. She pinned Rainbow’s legs down beneath her own so that her toes brushed against Rainbow’s ankles, placed her hands on her shoulders and settled herself atop Rainbow’s torso.

Their laughter died down as they found themselves staring deep into each other’s eyes.

Applejack’s chest heaved as she tried to get her breath back, the tips of her flaxen ponytail swinging in the slight breeze and tickling Rainbow’s nose. Her cowboy hat had blown away in the tussle long ago.

Applejack suddenly threw herself on top of Dash so that her cheek pressed against the side of Rainbow’s head and wrapped her arms around her back, holding her close. “Ah wish it could be like this all th’ time,” she whispered, her lips moving against Rainbow’s ear. Without warning, she shifted her head, lowered her face down to Rainbow’s, and kissed her…

On the cheek.

Rainbow felt a momentary surge of disappointment that it hadn't been on the lips, followed by a wave of elation. Applejack had really kissed her! With her real, actual lips!

But Applejack seemed to be experiencing very different emotions. Looking horrified, she shoved Dash away and unsteadily rose to her feet, holding a hand over her mouth. “Ah - Ah’m sorry - Ah didn't mean t’ do that,” she stuttered, her voice trembling. “Ah - Ah gotta go.”

“No - Applejack, wait - ” Rainbow staggered to her feet, holding out her hand.

“Bye, Dash,” AJ choked out, turning away, a tear slipping down her cheek. She paused only to grab her boots before running away to the farmhouse at full speed, still wearing Rainbow’s jacket, its sleeves flapping forlornly in the breeze.

She didn't look back once.

Rainbow stared after her, horrified, feeling tears well up in her own eyes. Why had she looked so shocked; why hadn't she kissed Applejack back; why hadn't she told Applejack how much she loved her?

She let loose a guttural scream of rage and misery and collapsed to her knees. She’d probably just irreparably destroyed her friendship with the person she loved most in all the world - and all because she'd let Applejack think she hadn't enjoyed her affection. A phrase came to her lips unbidden; she murmured it once, then again, then again, until her throat was raw from saying it.

“I'm sorry.”

***

Applejack ran inside, pounded up the stairs to her room, slammed the door, and threw herself on her bed, feeling hollow and empty as she remembered the look of shock on Rainbow’s face when she'd kissed her. She has recklessly endangered her friendship with her best friend… what had she been thinking? Feeling too tired and sad to support her body weight anymore, she slowly collapsed into her pillow and began weeping again, harder than she had since her parents had died, and occasionally murmuring a single broken phrase into the depths of her pillow.

“Ah’m sorry.”

Author's Note:

So. Applejack was the first one to crack. How many of you predicted that?

Sorry for the cliffhanger... actually, not really, haha. But I will try to get the next chapter out sooner!! Four months between chapters, that's just ridiculous. Anyway, three things: 1) there's definitely something going on with the paragraph indentations here but I was too lazy to fix it, 2) you may have noticed the reference to Talzotl in the beginning of the story. He's a character in my friend TheZorotlThing's story - go read it! And 3) - thank you so much to my friend milla0126 for that BEAUTIFUL fanart!

Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year!