• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 1,189 Views, 88 Comments

The Great and Powerful Slayers: Next - Belligerent Bindlestiff



After acting on Lina Inverse's parting advice. Trixie finds herself at square one after nearly being corrupted by the Alicorn Amulet. Slayers Crossover.

  • ...
0
 88
 1,189

Stream of Time

Stream of Time

The next morning, Trixie awoke to Lina staring out of the inn’s window.


“Oh good, you’re awake. You can get started on the laundry.” Lina said. “There’s a washtub and board in the room, Gourry’s already left his stuff here so you just need to take everything else out and get started.


Trixie looked over Lina’s appearance. She wore only a basic yellow tunic and green pants. She looked at the clothes and saw the cloak Lina normally wore hanging on the rack. Oddly enough, the only thing she kept were her talismans around her neck and wrists.


“Are those talisman special to you Lina?” Trixie asked.


Lina broke her gaze from outside the window to examine her talisman. “Yeah, they sort of are.” She replied.


“Trixie remembers you not having them the last time.” She said.


“Yeah, I bought these from a really powerful monster a while back.” Lina said. “They’ve given me a huge boost in magic power.”


Trixie fumbled out of bed. Is she really that crazy? What if it takes over? She thought. Trixie got to her feet, “Trixie will get started on the laundry.” Leaving a very confused Lina in the room.


////


As it turned out, humans had a great deal of clothing to wash, which frustrated Trixie a bit more than it should have. She was used to keeping a few extra cloaks and hats clean. And she may have had a dress somewhere in the wagon, but that was only for special occasions.


Shirts socks, pants, and undergarments were among the many articles that were a part of her chore. There’s almost as much underwear as there is the other clothes! Trixie thought to herself.


She grabbed another article to wash against the board, a smaller, daintier piece. Normally, ponies only wear such pieces to be provocative for their special somepony. She stopped scrubbing momentarily. But if Lina and Gourry weren’t with each other, then why do they have so much underwear?

Trixie looked up towards the inn and wore a look of concern. Are they the sort to go on escapades when in town? She grasped tightly at the current article she was holding. Trixie looked at it and her cheeks heated.


“You mind telling me why your roughing up my delicate laundry?” Lina asked non chalantly.


Trixie screamed and dropped the pink piece of clothing into the water. “Oh, no reason!” she said, gathering her composure.


“Anyways.” Lina said. “We won’t be having to wait for them to dry, I’ve got a time saver for this type of chore.”


Lina stood next to Trixie and towards the pieces of clothing Trixie had hung to dry. One hand glowed orange while her other made a motion behind it. A gust of air blew past her orange hand and towards the clothes.


“A little black magic and shamanism.” Lina said, as warm air passed through the clothing. “See? Black magic isn’t all that bad, it’s pretty useful.” She proceeded to dry all of the clothing. “When you’re done here, we’ve got places to go and lots of treasure to find.” Lina’s stomach then growled in protest. “But let’s get something to eat first.”


////


The group had gathered at the inn’s dining area for breakfast.


“Oh happy day, there are eggs on the menu!” Trixie said. “Trixie was worried there wouldn’t be anything else on the menu with flavor.” And she happily dug into her meal, paying no mind to the gargantuan feast that Gourry and Lina were attacking.


Trixie is not going to ask what those tube looking foods are. Better to keep her appetite. There was also this world’s bacon that she was advised to not order. But all in all, she took solace in being able to enjoy a meal this much.


She looked at her glass of juice and began practicing her magic once more. Trixie put down her fork and began concentrating magic into her index finger. Just as it had before with the soup, it began to glow a soft blue. She then dimmed its power and touched the glass.


The vessel didn’t shatter; rather the glass began to have condensation appear on it. Trixie then grabbed it, noting its chilled stage, and enjoyed her handiwork.


“Well,” Lina said through a mouthful of food. “looks like you’re learning some control with your magic. You didn’t just turn the juice into a block of ice.”


The server nervously came up to the table with paper in his hands. “Excuse me, but you asked for something to write with, right?” he asked.


Lina swallowed her food. “Yeah, just put those things on the table.”


The waiter left the group before he could witness any more gorging.


“Alright.” Lina said, after scarfing down another helping of breakfast. “You should probably get used to writing Trixie. I can’t have you lobbing dangerous spells if you’re clumsy with your hands.” She had already begun stabbing multiple pieces of food with her fork. “So why don’t you try your hand at it?”


Trixie set her fork down, and grabbed a sheet of paper and a crayon. Trixie is no foal you know she thought as she picked up the crayon in her left hand and began writing the alphabet. It was a strange way to write for sure, but it still felt comfortable.


Writing all the letters still proved to be simple and as Trixie finished her line, she noticed she had smudged the letters on her hand as she wrote. She brought up her hand and examined that the crayon had gotten it.


“How annoying.” Trixie said. “Still her penmareship is on the spot.” She continued to doodle after the writing.


Lina and Gourry continued to eat through their second and third servings of breakfast until Lina noticed Trixie was still focused on her writing. At least she thought it was writing until she took another look at the paper.


It was a drawing, one of a red caricature of herself, a blue one of Gourry, and a blue pony with a purple hat just below the alphabet. “Trixie…” She tried to say something, but was just without much of an opinion for these antics.


“So where are we headed?” Trixie asked. “Are we leaving so soon?”


“Well, remember those soldiers we met on the way up here?” Lina asked.


“Oh, those guys you put in a block of ice?” Gourry asked.


“Wow, Gourry, I’m surprised you remember them.” Lina said with a snarky, yet encouraging tone.


“Hey, I’m trying.” Gourry replied.


“Anyways. Yes, that group.” Lina said. “I overheard the people of this town talking and apparently,, those soldiers’ leader, Nepanox is in control of this area.”


“Does that mean we should hurry up and leave?” Trixie asked.


“Nope, I want to find out what it is they’re up to here.” Lina said. “They seemed really intent on shaking down those bandits more for their loot than anything else.”


“What’s your plan?” Trixie asked.


“Well,” Lina said, sitting back in her chair. “I say we pay Nepanox a visit to get some information. Hopefully his goons won’t have gotten back to him by the time we’re done with our visit.”


“Won’t they be mad to see us if we’re talking to him?” Trixie asked.


“Well, this is his hometown, but I haven’t seen any sign of those soldiers.” Lina said. “I think it’s worth the risk to ask while his men are away. We can’t let an opportunity like this slip through our fingers.”


////


It wasn’t exactly something Trixie was entirely sure of, but since Lina was her only means of survival, she decided to go along with this plan. The three of them found themselves staring at a large manor at the center of town.


“Hey you!” Lina said to one of the guards posted by the entrance.


“We’re here to see Nepanox, so open up!” Lina said.


Taken aback by the demands, the guard was silent for a few moments before regaining his composure. “Who are you to be telling me to open the gates?”


“Lina Inverse, bandit killer!” the sorceress said. Trixie recoiled at the self-proclaimed title. “And I’ve heard your Duke needs some help with bandits!”


The guards shifted uncomfortably and then choked a response. “Oh yes, Lord Nepanox would definitely be interested in your services. Please pass through.” He nodded to the other guards at the entrance, to which they opened the gates.


As the party made their way to the manor, Trixie felt like she was going further and further down an inescapable path. Her rumination were cut short when they entered the manor and further escorted to see Nepanox.


A short, pompous man was seated in a plush chair in the main room. He had an undersized hat and a grey mutton chop beard.


“Well, it would seem I’ve been graced by a visit from none other than The Lina Inverse. I must say that you’re here at a most opportune time.” He said, getting out of his seat.


“Well, you know, I’m always around to deal with bandits.” Lina said. “I’d normally be excited at the prospect of having more.”


“Oh how fortunate.” Nepanox said. “As it so happens, I should be expecting captain Borthe to return from a little task I set him upon yesterday. Perhaps you two would work together quite well.”


“Is that so?” Lina asked coyly.


“You know, your reputation precedes you Ms. Inverse.” Nepanox said. “Why you’ve been known to brave dangerous areas for treasure.”


Lina quirked a brow.


“I might know of a place that houses a great deal of riches. It was a notoriously dangerous place you see, plagued by monsters, but holding unimaginable treasures.” Nepanox said. He ushered the group to move down the hall with him.


The hall was filled with all sorts of elaborate furnishings that caught the morning light only slightly through the windows, and yet there was a gnarled, warping to much of the design of the manor that set it apart from most other wealthy estates.


He’s got quite a nice place here. Trixie thought. Definitely could give the richer ponies back in Equestria a literal run for their money.


“But for some reason,” Nepanox continued.” The number of monsters has greatly diminished.” He sat himself at a desk and placed his hands upon it. “Now is the perfect time to find out what those monsters have left behind!”


“Sounds pretty ambitious.” Lina said.


“Yes, but I can’t take any chances.” Nepanox said. “There’s no telling what could be in that old palace, so I’ve seen to it my guard there to investigate. But, I can’t waste any time. At any moment, any other lord could be planning the same sort of thing.


Are humans always so competitive? Trixie asked herself. And Trixie thought she was a mare that had goals.


“Yeah, you wouldn’t want to miss out on the stuff that’s there I suppose.” Lina said.


“Of course, I’ll be sure to compensate your for your services.” Nepanox said.


“Well, I’ll consider it.” Lina said.


“Ms. Inverse, I implore you.” Nepanox said. “I’m giving you a great opportunity here. I would hate it if I’d be in competition with you.” He grabbed a small, horned stature and played around with it before setting it down on a map.


Trixie felt the tension between Lina and Nepanox. She could see the distrust in Lina’s eyes. Lina, Trixie really hopes you know what you’re doing. This does not look like the type of pony that takes no for an answer.

“Well, it does sound like you’ve put a great offer on the table.” Lina said. “And you definitely have an eye for experts.”


“The power of monsters.” Nepanox said, turning his attention towards the desk. “They must have something there, and who knows what it could do for humans?”


“Usually, its best not to mess with things you don’t entirely understand.” Lina said.


“I sense hesitation, Ms. Inverse.” Nepanox said. “Surely your reputation speaks more of your willing ness to partake in such quests, despite the danger.”


Lina put a hand to her hair. “All I’m saying is that you should probably think twice about trying to harness the power of the monsters.”


That warning didn’t even faze him. Trixie thought. That same look Nepanox wore was all too familiar. The way he coveted this “power of the monsters”, it was just how she lusted over the alicorn amulet.


“Very well,” Nepanox said. “I suppose I’ll have to make my way over there myself.” He got up to speak to Lina, face to face. “You are a wielder of magic. Doesn’t the allure of power strike you as much as myself if not more? Monsters have had a grip over humanity.”


Nepanox pointed to various works of art in his study, of humans running from monsters. “Wherever they are, we tend to say away. What if there was a way to become as strong as them?”


Lina met his glance, and despite her short stature, the duke wasn’t so tall himself. “Sorry, but I’ve already made up my mind. Using magic connected to their power is one thing, but I personally like to draw the line there.”


Trixie eyed the map on his desk as he was preoccupied with Lina and decided to use some slight of hoof.


“Well, there seems to be no convincing you then.” Nepanox said. “If you’d all come with me, I’ll show you out.


The party was escorted outside of the grounds. “Despite your harsh words Ms. Inverse, I am sorry to see you leave. You really don’t come across as many opportunities such as this one.” And with that, Nepanox left the party to return inside his manor.


As they made their way into town to prepare to leave, Trixie broke the silence. “Do you think it’s a good idea to leave Nepanox with that map?”


“Well, most people who go and get themselves involved with the monster race almost assuredly gets themselves killed.” Lina said. “And sometimes it ends worse when they cause some sort of catastrophe.”


“But he did mention treasure Lina.” Trixie said. “Trixie thought you were all about finding riches.”


“Well yeah, there’s all sorts of good stuff to find, but this guy seemed bent on gaining monster powers. I say, let him face those consequences.” Lina said.


Is that it Lina? Trixie thought and gave a surprised look to Lina.


“Hey, I gave you the same warning about dark magic Trixie.” Lina said. “And that didn’t turn out too well, now did it? But you got off lucky.”


“What if we get to the treasure before him?” Trixie asked.


“I’d love to beat this guy to all sorts of loot…and keep him from starting something with the monsters, but for that I’d need the map.” Lina said.


“Do you mean this one?” Trixie sad, bringing out the map from Nepanox’s desk.


“When did you get that?” Lina asked.


“A showmare has her ways.” Trixie said, pulling a bouquet of flowers from her sleeve.


“Why did you take the map anyways?” Lina asked.


“Well, Trixie really doesn’t want anypony to go through what she did.” She said. “He looked so crazed for it.”


“How noble of you.” Lina said flatly. “But did you even consider what I would think?” Lina asked.


“Well, maybe if there’s a chance that there’s treasure of the non-corrupting sort, we could claim that?” Trixie asked with a pleading smile.


“Uh, guys.” Gourry said. “Aren’t those the soldiers we met back in the woods?” He pointed to a dishelved group of men that looked like they’d seen hell. A frozen hell.


“Well, there’s no time like the present to go searching for treasure, is there?” Lina asked the group as she snatched the map from Trixie.


The group slunk away from the manor from building corner, to building corner. “So let’s see where Nepanox wanted to get his hands on some monstrous artifacts.” Lina said while examining the map. “Hmm, let’s see. There seems to be something like a palace on this map near the side of the mountains.”


Lina looked around. “And it looks like there’s only one really big mountain range in this area. I bet it’s got to be that one.” She pointed to a formation that jutted over the treetops.


“That looks really far away Lina.” Gourry said.


“And sooner or later Nepanox is going to realize we’ve got his map.” Trixie said.


“We’re going to need a ride out.” Lina said, scanning around. She spotted a stable and then left the party to speak with the owner.


“Excuse me sir.” Lina asked. “I’m looking for your best horses for a long trip.”


“We’re leaving right now?” Trixie asked Gourry as she watched Lina begin to haggle. “What is she doing?” she noticed Lina bringing two horses with her, leading them by the bridle.”


“Alright I could only get us two horses, but we need to get out of here before Nepanox sics his men on us!” Lina said. “You’re going to need to ride with one of us Trixie.”


The former showmare only stared at the horse that was next to her. What’s your deal? She thought at the horses. The horse only stared back at her.


“Shoot, they’ve already noticed the map is missing.” Lina said after a rumble of hoof falls was heard coming from the manor. She mounted one of the horses.


Trixie was plucked into the air by Gourry and seated behind him. “We’ve gotta get going now Trixie.” He said took off with Lina at the front.


The party shot out from the town and onto the path at a blazing speed. Trixie hadn’t realized just how much faster it was on hoof since she herself had gone into a full gallop. This is so strange to be riding a pony…or horse.


The horses had been directed to divert from the path at some point and leaped over some fallen trees and into the woods. “Whoa!” Trixie exclaimed.


“Hang on Trixie!” Gourry said.


There wasn’t really any place to hold onto except for Gourry, and almost instinctively, she wrapped her arms around his waist. Is it the armor, or is he built like a rock?


Sure, she was on the run and mixed up in affairs she only barely understood, but she took comfort that at least there were someponies to be close to after so much time she’d spent blundering things and ending up alone. There was no place she’d rather be.