• Published 2nd Dec 2011
  • 3,413 Views, 69 Comments

Dungeons, Dragons, and a Little Friendship - Lawrence Gander



After vanquishing a cruel tyrant a group of adventurers find themselves in Equestria.

  • ...
6
 69
 3,413

Chapter 4

Dungeons, Dragons, and a Little Friendship
Chapter 4

Rainbow Dash gently flew alongside Fluttershy. “Thanks again Rainbow Dash, I don't think I would have been able to escort all those poor baby animals back to their homes alone.”

“Yeah well, doing supply runs for the town was tiring me out. I kind of needed a break. Besides that baby turtle was kind of cute.” Rainbow Dash said with a blush.

“Too bad we couldn't find all of their homes,” Fluttershy frowned as a baby blue jay chirped around in the basket over her back.

“It's OK Fluttershy, you're great with animals, and I’m sure you'll raise that bird right and let it free back into Whitetail wood in no time.”

At that time a sudden gust of wind caused Fluttershy to tip and roll, the basket tied to her back flipped over spilling out the baby Blue jay. Fluttershy gasped at what just occurred, “Oh no, he doesn’t know how to fly yet.”

“I can get him Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash dived after the falling bird. She could barely see the little blue dot, but she knew she could catch up to it. Beating her wings fiercely in defiance of the wind which tried to slow her advance, the small blue dot began to appear as a ball. Faster still she mustered strength to continue pushing the limits of her speed. The baby bird was only a few feet of free fall from her now, but the forest below was fast approaching. “Got you!” as the bird was safely tucked against her chest, Rainbow Dash quickly attempted to pull up. Narrowly skimming across the ground, her speed causing the grass to sway from her passing. She aimed to continue flying through a pair of trees, when all of a sudden a grey streak darted in front of her.

[/][/][1][/][/]

Something slammed into the side of Ted's face, his helmet took the brunt of the impact but the wallop still sent him reeling through the air. As he tumbled he remembered an old memory very vividly, of his young adulthood, when he was cornered. No, not again. Ted righted himself in the air, tumbled when he hit the ground. Leaping slightly when his feet met the ground, so he could land upright flicking out a hoof, he revealed a hidden blade under a compartment of his gauntlet which sat above his hoof like an armored bracelet. He stared in the direction of his would be attacker, a small rainbow mane Pegasus lay unconscious on the ground. A small bird tweeting in her limbs. Ted didn't know what to do, his memory slip caused him to relive that moment of his life so vividly it set him off. Now that he saw the defenseless thing, he was shaken up a little at what he thought he was about to do.

Out of the blue another one landed, this one was conscious. The crème Pegasus mare was frantic at the site of the blue one, “Dash?” the mare said, nudging her nose against the comatose pony. The pink mane Pegasus looked to Ted, still standing ready for anything that might happen. “What did you do!?” The mare took a protective stance over the blue one; her eyes open wide in an angry glare.

Ted met the glare, only to find himself being drawn into her eyes. It was like his mind was being pierced, he saw all the wrongs he had done in his life. Every life he had ended, all the people who counted on him that he let down. I must repent, it was the only thought that ran through his mind. He felt his arm lowering, the blade returned to its compartment. He was hanging onto any word that she would speak, ready to do as she asked.

The one on the ground stirred a little, “Fluttershy?” the one with the pink mane one snapped out of the stare down with Ted and looked back to Dash.

Once the gaze was broken, Ted felt his self control return. He gasped at the sudden return to his senses; he didn't know what just happened. But he was prepared to avoid that ever happening again, Ted galloped over to the dented helmet he had worn which was on the ground, and quickly mouthed it into his bag of holding.

“Dash are you OK?” Concern evident in her voice.

“Caught the birdie, heheh.” Dash let the bird out from her grip, which happily hoped on top of Fluttershy's head. Then Dash fell unconscious again.

Fluttershy got worried, oh no, it can't be anything good if she won't wake up. She looked over to the strange Zebra in the full body green cloak. He was scratching at the ground with a stray hoof, his back to her. “Sir, please could you help me.” The zebra's ears twitched back and forth, seemingly unable to make up its mind. Then he turned around, Grey eyes not making contact with Fluttershy's. “We are going to have to do a two-pony piggyback to get her to the clinic, just get her front half over the top of you and on your back. Can you do that?” Ted stood next to Fluttershy, still not making eye contact. Even if he won't say anything, I can tell he means well. At least now he does, before he was so scary.

After some Maneuvering, the two managed to get Rainbow Dash onto their backs as they carefully trotted into town.

[/][/][2][/][/]

Within the clinic, Fluttershy looked over to the strange Zebra. He had his strange green cloak hiding all of his body from view. In the middle of the clinic's lobby, he was sticking out like something that didn't belong. Why did he stay? Fluttershy asked herself.

Nurse Redheart walked out into the lobby. “Hello Miss Fluttershy, we have Miss Dash stable. She should be fine, but we want to keep her over for observation, she still isn't that aware of her surroundings.”

“Oh, well, as long as she will be alright. Is it OK if we go see her?”

Ted's attention was caught, We? Why we?

“That should be fine, it might do her some good to see a familiar face.”

Fluttershy walked up to the zebra, “Sir, umm, would you like to go say hi too, I didn't mean to impose. I just think it would be good... that is if you don't have anything else planned... to maybe-”

Ted got up from the floor. I've done enough running in this world, for once I want to make something right. “That will be fine.” The shy little Pegasus gave him a weak but cute smile, so down the hall they went.

They were told to go to room 127A; many of the nurses were busy treating other injured ponies from the disaster three days ago. So they were allowed to go about unescorted, as they approached room 127A Ted noticed a small cart just inside the room. There was a clipboard tied to it, which read Patient Rainbow Dash has a bad concussion and headaches associated, we are very low on medications still from the disaster. All we can manage is to make her comfortable, giving her herbal supplements until we can get our hooves on some better medication. Without proper care she might not make it through the night. Ted felt a pang of guilt, it had all been chance what had happened, but still he felt like he could do something.

He noticed a small bottle filled with liquid of a rather red hue, Ted looked at Fluttershy to see her just looking at Rainbow Dash in the gurney. There was no one out in the hallway; he quickly swept the bottle into his bag. He then stuck his head in and grabbed for a health potion, he always kept extras. Then put it on the cart, before walking over to Fluttershy's side. He noticed the considerable welt on Rainbow Dash's forehead.

Fluttershy was the first to speak up, “Hey Dash, are you alright?”

The blue Pegasus lazily lifted her eyes open. “Oh, hey Fluttershy.” She looked over to the Zebra, “Who’s your friend?”

“He isn't my friend... well that's not to say he isn’t nice... But he did help me get you here.”

Ted spoke up, “It was really no trouble miss, Dash was it? I simply wanted to make up for what I may have done, whether or not it was an accident.”

“Accident? Oh you mean you were that thing I ran into? What the hay were you doing jumping around through – ow.” Dash flinched from the pain of her brow furrowing.

“I guess I could ask the same thing of a Pegasus flying so low to the ground.”

“Look, I had a good reason!”

“So did I, you're just going to need to learn about chance. That's all this was. Now like I said, I just want to make up for what I’ve done. So I think I'm going to help you get better.”

A nurse walked into the room, “Is everything OK in here?”

Dash looked angrily towards the Zebra, “Yeah, I guess. Do you guys have anything for pain? My forehead's kind of getting touchy again.”

“Oh I’m sorry dear, we are really short of that kind of stuff. Saving it in case of an emergency, but we do have some old herbal remedies still laying around. It won't be as good, but I’m sure it'll make you feel a little better.” The nurse pushed over the cart and poured out the bottles contents, into a cup, of what she believed was herbal tea.

Dash drank the liquid quickly, “Blegh, doesn't taste any better then medicine.”

Fluttershy and the nurse stared blankly in amazement at Dash, Ted simply smiled.

Dash looked startled, “What? Did I have an allergic reaction or something?”

“Umm, Dash... do you feel OK?” Fluttershy said.

Dash thought for a minute, “Hey my ears stopped ringing!” she stopped for a second, patting a hoof against her head gingerly.

Looks like my work here is done. Ted walked towards the hallway.

The nurse double checked the bottle on the cart, “Wait a minute this wasn't the same bottle that was here a moment ago.” Ted felt as though eyes in the room were drawn to him.

For once can't one of my plans go correctly? Ted thought to himself. He shut the door to the hallway, “Can I count on you three to listen to me?” They all still stared at him bluntly.

Dash was the first to ask a question, “What did you just give me?”

“Nothing more than a restorative drought, I said I wished to make amends and there you go.”

“Excuse me, but do you have any more of this stuff. We could make good use of it here.” The nurse chimed in.

“I'm sorry, but to create that takes a long time. I'm fresh out of ingredients and I don't feel safe in my line of work without one or two on me at any given time. In fact, I don't even know if you can make them with stuff from around here.”

Ted waited around, expecting a few more questions but receiving none, “Well with that concluded, please keep this to yourselves. If anyone asks, Miss Dash was just misdiagnosed. I don't need to get mobbed being asked for this stuff now.” Ted walked out the door, and out of the clinic.

Now where to? Ted remembered his dented helmet, Do they even have blacksmith's in this world? Before he could enact anything else he heard the flap of wings behind him. Turning he saw Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy landing behind him, “Can't you two tell when someone enjoys flying solo?”

“Look Zebra guy, that stuff you gave me could really help out Ponyville. How do you even know we don't have the ingredients, you're not even from here.”

“I've been traveling through the woods for the last three days, if you had the ingredients around here I am sure I would've found them by now.”

“Wait, you were out in the woods?” Dash asked

“Yes and I must say the swampy atmosphere didn't do much for me, I prefer the lovely maples and pines you have over there instead.”

“How are you still alive?”

“Well there was a rather close call with some big nasty plant, but other than that it wasn't too hard.”

“No, no, no. my friend Twilight told me the shock wave that hit Ponyville probably originated out in the Everfree forest. The 'swampy' one, how are you not dead?”

Oh great a logic trap, Ted got an idea. “Don't know.”

“What? How do you not know something like that?”

Ted looked them in the eyes, “Simple, Amnesia!”

Fluttershy gasped, “Oh you poor dear, I'm so sorry I yelled at you earlier today.”

Dash rolled her eyes, “Come on Fluttershy, you can't believe that.”

“Well how else would you explain it, because I honestly don't know how I survived. I woke up in a cave and after a few days of traveling, here I am.” That's at least half true, Ted thought to himself.

Dash simply groaned and put a hoof to her face, “Fine whatever, but you still helped me out. You can't do something like that and run off.”

Fluttershy spoke up, “Don't you have any place to stay?”

Ted responded, “Nope. Are you offering?”

Dash pulled Fluttershy aside and talked quietly to her, “Are you nuts Fluttershy, we don't know anything about this Zebra. I was thinking of just buying him some food and calling it even.”

“Well, he did help you out, twice in fact. He could've just left you with me out in that field, but he helped me carry you all the way to the clinic. Then he gave you that drink that made you all better, he can't be all bad.” Fluttershy scratched at the ground.

“If you're set on this, I am not leaving you alone with him. He still seems kind of shifty to me.” Dash looked back to the zebra, who was just waiting patiently in his green body cloak. “I guess she is offering.”

“Splendid, don't worry I pack light.”

“Wait!” Dash interrupted, “I don't care whether you have Amnesia or not, but I am not going to be calling you, well, you and Zebra all day.”

Ted thought for a moment, he had heard names of ponies all day, usually some kind of noun-verb hybrid. But one time he heard somepony ask “Is that zebra Zecora's brother?”, Maybe I can get away with my real name. “Just call me Te'denithas Zavyard,” he added, “Amnesiac Zebra Extraordinaire!” with a triumphant gesture with his hoof.

Dash just furrowed her brow at the overly complex name, “Whatever, I'm just calling you Ted.”

Ted then scoffed a little, “Oh come now, can't you just call me by my full name?” Why is it no one ever does? it can't be that hard to roll off the tongue!

Dash just looked at Ted, scrunched up her nose and imitated his voice, “Nope.”

“Fine, but can one of you answer a question for me? I need to know if you have anything around here for ponies in need of some good horseshoes.”

Fluttershy spoke up, “There's the Boe Family Blacksmith workshop not far from my cottage.”

Rainbow Dash looked at Fluttershy, “How do you know about a blacksmith?”

“Oh, they helped me repair my cottage after the disaster. They were really nice.”

Ted was happy just to hear they had a smith nearby. He pinched his messenger book off his belt, awkwardly opened it and recorded a message. I may have found myself some lodging, at least for the day. Going to go see exactly how advanced these ponies are in the ways of metallurgy, and maybe I'll even learn how to fly. As Ted closed the book he noticed Rainbow Dash over his shoulder.

“What was that?” She asked

“Why it is my private journal, and I would thank you not to read it!” Ted knew she was probably talking about the words on the page, as he had taken the precaution of recording it in Elven beforehand.

Rainbow Dash just rolled her eyes at the sarcastic answer.

And so, off the group went, out of town towards Fluttershy's cottage.

[/][/][3][/][/]

The trio had just walked over the bridge leading west out of Ponyville, the road through the hilly countryside rose and fell with the land around it. Accenting the natural beauty of the fields. As they walked through a part of the road which dipped behind a hill, Ted heard a familiar noise. He stopped and tried to listen for it again.

“What’s wrong Ted?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Ted shushed her, I know I have heard that before. He concentrated on picking apart the sounds around him, something stood out, against the background noise. It was whisking through the air, cutting a path. It’s getting closer, but these hills are bouncing the background noise everywhere. “Do you two hear anything?”

Fluttershy and Dash got quiet and looked around, turning ears this way and that. They both shook their heads no.

Well it seems my Elven perceptions are still with me fully, but that still leaves a question unanswered. The sound was becoming clearer; its direction was starting to become known, above me? Ted looked up but couldn't make anything out; the sun was too high in the sky and was blinding him. It was getting so close, his body shouted at him of danger, but he couldn't make out from where. He readied himself to move, the sound was right above him, almo-.

But his concentration was broken by Rainbow Dash, “Look we don't got all day t-” THWACK, “Oh my gosh!” the pegasus exclaimed.

Ted looked over his shoulder to Rainbow Dash, to see an arrow cleanly sticking out of the cloak on his back. I knew I heard that noise before!

“Are you OK Ted?” Fluttershy asked in a worried meek tone.

“Oh how rude! What imbecile sets up an archery range facing a road!?”

Both of the pegasi were stunned to watch Ted trot off in a huff around the hill, ignoring the projectile lodged in his spine.

Oh they'll get a piece of my mind, As Ted rounded the hill he could make out the same sound he heard earlier, TWANG, I always did hate the noise of a poorly made bow. Ted could make out the sound of voices as well, after the arrow missed its mark and thwacked against the hill.

“Oh come on you silly colt, you want to join the Thunderheads! You got to hit a target, while you’re flying.” a gruff voice said with disapproval.

Ted finally rounded the hill, to see a small colt pegasus fluttering with some difficulty holding a bow and quiver as three other pegasi were laying around heckling and yelling at the poor thing. Well what kind of hazing do we have going on here? Ted decided to break up the little insult contest, “HEY! Which one of you wise guys decided to set up a range facing the road!”

The three Pegasi looked over towards Ted eyes growing wide, the colt looked rather afraid, as they noticed a displeased Zebra marching towards them. One of the Pegasi got a grin on his face, “Oh look Archie, you managed to actually hit something after all!” pointing a hoof towards the arrow sticking out of Ted's back and laughing with the others.

The colt Pegasus, who Ted assumed was 'Archie', fluttered to the ground. Leaving his bow behind and raced over to Ted, “I’m so sorry, I didn't mean to, I’m just tryi-”

Ted cut the colt off, “Did I ask who accidentally shot me? Even the best is bound to miss sometimes. What I asked is what, stupid, inconsiderate, adult went around telling this colt it was OK to shoot at something that could've had ponies behind it.” As he rounded Archie, putting himself between the colt and the pegasi.

The three pegasi got up off the ground, “Oh you calling out the Thunderheads you silly zebra.” a brown one with a gruff voice proclaimed.

“Oh please tell me that you are thinking of starting something. I've been all wound up since I got here, and I really need to test out some ideas that have been floating around in my head.” Ted excitedly trotted in place, warming himself up for a fight.

“Hey look pal, you don't mess with a Thunderhead you hear? We got protection rackets from Manehatten to Trottingham, you mess with one of us and you're gonna’ mess with all of us.”

Ted only seemed to get more excited, “A bunch of loudmouth, sick, degenerate scum TOO! This can't get any more perfect, and I have a totally legitimate reason to fight you as well, oh happy day!”

“Umm Boulderdash, I don't think-” but the blue pegasus was cut off by Ted.

“-we really want to mess with a zebra who is acting all silly with an arrow sticking out of his back. I mean who knows what kind of crazy chemical stimulants he could be on.” Ted said imitating the blue one's voice.

The brown leader, who Ted guessed was Boulderdash, fumed, “Alright Mr. Comedian, you want to mess with us, let’s get him boys.”

The brown, blue, and black pegasi jumped at Ted, who simply stood still for a moment.

As the blue closed, he ducked to the side, allowing it to fly over him. Before it could react, he kicked with a back leg, slamming it into the blue one's chin. Which then careened off course and crashed into the dirt, unconscious. “NEXT!” Ted taunted.

The brown one answered the call, having seen what happened to the last one, he grounded and charged on foot towards him. Ted also began charging at the brown, as the distance closed, Ted broke into a sideways slide. This knocked the brown off his feet and sent him into a front-flip; Ted answered by sweeping his front leg out low, which solidly cracked against the side of the brown's head. Boulderdash rolled and tumbled across the ground, clutching at his face in pain.

The only one left was the black, Ted looked over to see the black gone from view. He heard flapping in the sky above him, he quickly dodged to the side. But the black seemed to have anticipated that, for as he landed his back legs were reared for a buck. Ted saw this, and planted himself firmly as the legs made contact with his body. A loud CLANG rang out over the range, the black one groaned in pain, and hobbled off away from Ted. “You actually hit me, remind me to give you a gold star!”

The brown had finished nursing his face, “Alright, enough-”

“-horsing around?” Ted interjected with a wide smile on his face.

The brown just groaned, “Bruisa, get down here and squash this bug already!” the brown shouted up towards a floating cloud.

Ted could make out a small brown silhouette peak off the side of it. Before it came barreling downwards and landed with a sufficient thud against the ground. A large pegasus about the size of a draft pony stood in front of him.

Ted simply checked his hooves for some dirt. “Well I will admit saving your best for last is rather nice of you, but I think I've sweat more from the heat of smelting furnaces.”

The large Pegasus reared at Ted, apparently readying for a stomp. “Bad move.” was all Ted had to say, before he bolted under the large one and rolled past its back feet. Causing the unsteady large Pegasus to fall forward from his own weight, slamming headfirst into the dirt. Just to add insult to injury, Ted hopped over the top of Bruisa and landed on the back of his head, gently sinking it deeper into the earth. Ted then heard the sound of arrows knocked against the shafts of bows. “Oh really? You want to play serious now do you?”

Ted saw two of the three Pegasi with bows ready, standing with their wings out for balance. The brown was waiting to give the order to shoot. “Alright Zebra, you're going to stand down now. Or I tell my boys here to let loose on you.”

“Let me just appeal to the better nature of your com-padres for a minute here.” Each pegasi raised an eyebrow. “You’re leader there is about to order you to shoot at me, when I very well can dodge you from this distance. Bruisa here on the other hand is an awfully big target, and I know compassion and understanding might not take sanctuary in your minds all the time. But what kind of leader tells his soldiers to shoot on his own? Now I can tell you are all not a bunch of fanatics fighting for a purpose, we are all just a little hot headed here over a disagreement on proper archery range safety. I wonder if he would do the same for you, or if he happened to be in Bruisa's spot, order you to do the same?”

Ted saw the resolve of the two archers weaken, “If you still want to go through with it however,” Ted flicked a hidden blade out from one his gauntlets, “I've been going easy on you, because in all fairness, you had no idea what you were getting yourselves into.” Ted crouched down low and closed his eyes for a moment to concentrate and let the magic of the fey flow through him. Opening to show them his eyes of solid grey, “But if you still want to get serious. I'd be happy to fulfill your death wish.” he said with all the playfulness gone from his voice.

“We aren't afraid of some Zebra who can talk fancy and make some funny eye effects. Show him what the Thunderheads are made of!”

The black and blue just looked to each other than to the angry face of the brown. “You know what Boulderdash, take your stupid gang and stuff it.” They threw down their bows and angrily stared at the brown.

Boulderdash looked surprised to hear this, but only became angrier, “You better watch your flank zebra, I play for keeps and this isn't over yet!” The angry brown Pegasus took off into the sky and out above a patch of clouds.

“No doubt to go whine to somepony higher up on the food chain, I'm sure.” Ted walked over to the other Pegasi, “You know you might want to dig up your friend over there, I’m not sure if he can breathe beneath all that dirt.”

The blue and black grew some concern on their face and rushed over to Bruisa and started digging around his face. Once they had him out of the ground they grabbed their things and went on their way towards town.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy then showed themselves from behind the hill, the small Pegasus colt Archie also revealed himself from his hiding spot. And landed next to Ted, “Wow that was awesome Ted!” Dash said, “I was going to help you out, but after you took out that first one, I was kinda left amazed that ya knew how to fight. Being a black belt myself and all, but you got some moves all your own.”

Fluttershy was just smiling, “Well I'm glad you're OK and that you didn't have to seriously hurt anypony. But, umm, are you sure that arrow doesn't hurt?”

Ted realized he still had the arrow stuck in his back, most of the shaft was broken off from when he rolled. “Oh don't worry about the arrow, it didn't even pierce the top layer of armor.” the group of pegasi looked confused at what they heard. “In short, I'll be fine. As for you good sir Archie, I hope you learned a lesson today. But what possessed you to try a stunt as silly as joining a bunch of hooligans.”

“I was just outside my dad's shop, and they came by telling me that they were going to hurt my family, unless I went with them. Then they asked if I could shoot a bow and arrow, and they started picking on me.”

“It's very noble of you to try and help your family, but what do you think would've happened after they had taken you to where they were going. Surely nothing good would've come of it. You've got a spark of good in you Archie, don't smother it by hanging out with a bunch of ruffians like that.” Archie smiled at Ted's little speech. “Now get on home, I'm sure your father is very worried”

Archie seemed to jump a little “I was supposed to be home ten minutes ago, I’m so grounded.” He took off down the road, occasionally breaking into little glides with his underage wings.

“Now would one of you mind getting this arrow out of my back, it’s starting to get annoying.”

Dash went over and gingerly pulled at the arrow.

“Look, it didn't break the skin, it’s probably just stuck on something. So give it a little more oomph.”

Dash tugged harder, the arrow didn't budge. She tried again, this time putting her wings into it, lifting Ted a few inches off the ground.

“Too much oomph, too much oomph!”

Dash set him back on the ground

“Alright well I guess it did get stuck in under the armor layer.” Ted attempted to slide the cloak off, but found it stuck to him thanks to the arrow. Great and I still haven’t figured out how to do that one hoof thing Andur mentioned. Ted just started fumbling with the buttons at his neckline, “Excuse me but could one of you lovely mares, give me a helping hoof.”

Fluttershy walked over, “Sure, I sometimes get stuck with buttons myself.” She looked at the hole the arrow had made n the cloak, “make sure to not get that machine stitched or else it’s just going to ruin the continuity of the surrounding fabric.” Everyone looked at Fluttershy for a moment, “Well... you know... if you wanted my advice.”

After Fluttershy unbuttoned the cloak, she carefully lifted it over Ted's head and the arrow so she didn't damage the cloak further. Ted's silvery scale armor glinted in the sunlight, “Now try not to be too amaz-” Ted realized he forgot to mention he had wings, let alone figure out if zebras could have any. He looked over to see two rather stupefied pegasi. Just play it off, “What? Have you never seen a Zebragus before?”

“No, not really.” Dash tried to stop herself from looking at Ted's out of place wings.

“We are rather rare, I guess.” Ted breathed a sigh of relief, saved it. “We only descend from pegasus and zebra couples.”

“Say Ted, where did you learn how to fight?” Dash asked while trying to act as nonchalant as possible.

“Don't know, amnesia remember?” Ted smiled her way.

“Sheesh has there been a time when your sudden spouts of 'amnesia' hasn't prevented you from forgetting things that need explaining.”

“If you want to be so rude as to insist I am lying, I can surely tell you that not all of my amnesia is great for explaining away everything. I can't even get myself to pick stuff up anymore, paralysis of some kind I'm sure.” Ted turned his head about and managed to get the arrow out from under the set of scales it was stuck in. He spat it out upon the ground, “There we go, not even any blood, I told you it never hurt me.”

“You're paralyzed TOO! Oh my, you poor poor Zebragus.” Fluttershy smiled when she got an idea, “I deal with injured animals all the time, I can probably help you learn to use your hooves again.”

“Well aren’t you the sweetest pony in... umm... this country in which we currently reside.”

“Equestria, amnesia brains.” Dash interjected.

“Just relax and let me see what I can do.” Fluttershy motioned for Ted to lie down on the ground next to her. She picked up one of his hooves, and removed the small gauntlet like object on it. Then started pressing on it at certain points. “Feel anything?”

“No not really.”

“What about this.” Fluttershy then began pressing at certain places on his wrist, on one point in particular Ted felt a shock of lightning move up his arm. It was painful but not horribly so, it kind of felt like all the muscles in his arm twitched.

“Something that time.”

Fluttershy poked in a few more places, Ted could feel the lightning time and again. But it was less intense each time as she worked her way from the wrist towards his hoof again. He could feel something at his hoof but wasn't sure what. “Now can you remember where I sent those feelings?”

“Yes I believe I can.”

“OK just try to move along that path I took down your arm.”

Ted concentrated and attempted to feel his way down that path she drew in his thoughts. His mind finding its way through the muscles as it attempted to call out to the hoof to just grab at the grass. But nothing was happening. He sighed.

“Don't give up, come on just one more time.” As Fluttershy tried poking him again to redraw the map, Ted got an idea.

Maybe if I can just pretend for a minute that it’s my old hand, Ted closed his eyes. Imagining his arm was not that of a zebra but once again his own. As Fluttershy sent the messages through his nerves, he could make out his wrist. The lines of lightning running up and down his arm, but this time when she went to his hoof. He felt the lines draw along something else, something familiar. It was like his hand was atrophied, and it was responding to the stimulation. Twitching, he could feel it in his mind.

“Now just try again.”

Ted remembered the pathway the feeling had taken. He could feel a force around his hand making it move, relaxing itself open. The stress bleeding away. As though an old limb had reappeared, Ted could once again cause his hand to open and shut. He opened his eyes, took his arm from Fluttershy. Then placed his hoof over to the gauntlet that was set aside, and closed his ghostlike appendages around it. Slowly lifting it from the ground. A smile ran across his face.

“Way to go.” Fluttershy exclaimed in what was little more than a whisper.

Ted looked about the archery range, “I think I am going to practice for a moment, excuse me.” Ted got up and moved the target that was set up and placed it so that it was not facing the roadway, just to be safe. He took his bag of holding and removed from it, his bow, one he had made himself with all the skill that he had acquired over his long life. Gems socketed into it hummed to his touch, its soft wooden frame was accented by the powerful metal supports which were filled with the runic language of his people.

Ted had known of the other ancient artifacts that Andur and Cartanis had found in their travels. But Ted sought something more. He wished to recreate the powerful magic used to create such weaponry; it had taken him well over the hundred and forty years of his life to discover the secrets. But what he had in his hand would surpass any other bow in existence, for one very good reason. He had built it as a very extension of himself, A little Elven grace, with some Eladrin magic for might.

He stood on two back hooves the way he saw the pegasi do earlier. Balancing himself by outstretching his grey and black feathered wings. With one hoof his arm was put out to full reach, the bow grasped firmly with his new fingers. With his other, he drew the string. As he pulled it back, he felt his weapon pull at the Eladrin fey magic that was within him. It had been so long since the connection was made so fully it sang for release; he felt his eyes glaze over to solid grey. A bolt of pure energy formed in the bow, gaining in measure as the string was pulled back. Its power arcing and loosing itself around him as it longed for a target. He let loose the howling fury of it towards the bull’s-eye. When it made contact, the energy was released upon the target. Thundering against the surrounding area. When the dust settled, two charred legs of the target remained.

Ted harnessed the weapon on his back, hoping to never be forced to put away his masterpiece in some stuffy bag again. He walked past the two stunned pegasi, “blah blah Amnesia. Now let’s get to that blacksmith.” Ted wondered if he should message the others, he quickly took out his messenger book. It would be hard to explain the how, but I did manage to get a villager to somehow give a type of acupuncture. I believe it stimulated my senses and allowed me to figure out their strange hoof grabbing technique. So all I can attest to is that it should be possible for us to all learn, somehow. As he closed his book he heard one of the Pegasi approach him, he turned to see Rainbow Dash.

“Look I know you won't tell us a lot, but you also helped out that colt. So I think Fluttershy and I know you’re a good Zebragus and all Ted. You just do so many things that we haven’t seen before, so can't you just tell us something?”

Ted put a hoof to his chin, “I am no threat to you, so long as you don't try to hurt me that is. If you can believe that, we will get along fine.” Ted picked up his cloak off the ground and quickly put it back on. The two pegasi seemed to accept the answer, and off they went to the Boe Family Blacksmith.

[/][/][4][/][/]

In the middle a large open field stood a house, next to this house was a workshop. Smoke stacks gently letting out the heat of furnaces into the air. The trio knocked upon the door of the workshop.

A voice answered the call, “Sorry, but the Boe Family is full up on jobs from around Ponyville for repairs. We can't take any more orders for today.”

Ted spoke up, “What if one of us didn't want to place an order but offer his services.”

The sound of tools being laid to rest was echoed by the sounds of heavy horseshoes as the door opened, “I might be willing to hire you, given you got the chops.” a large earth pony with soot and ash covering his face answered.

“I got the chops, if you got the furnaces!” Ted retorted

The large earth pony allowed them inside, where the group saw various benches, furnaces, smelters, and anvils. A surprising number of them were unmanned. “We need a few more hooves around here, if you think you're up to the task zebra.”

“Just call me Ted.”

“Fine Ted, just call me Cross Boe, owner and proprietor of this fine establishment. Now take station five, get your orders from over here at the desk and just keep working. We got a lot of orders to fill.”

“Oh yes silly me,” Ted removed his cloak, much to the curious eye of Cross. “I forgot to mention I'm a zebragus and before I start working for you I need to do a little work of my own.” Ted undid the various fasteners and belts of his armor to drop them into his bag, and then he took his dented helmet out said bag.

Cross seemed to be about to ask something, but Dash just got his attention and said, “Don't bother asking about the bag, all he'll say is something about Amnesia.”

Cross simply stopped and thought for a second, “Where did you get armor like that Ted?” Cross asked.

“Oh all custom done by yours truly, won't find it anywhere else I'm afraid. Now station five you said?” Ted approached his station and removed various tools and safety equipment from his bag, he laughed a little at how it all took the appropriate shape for his new form.

He then set to work, heating the metal of the helmet in order to soften it so he could reshape it to once again fit his head. He heard Rainbow Dash behind him once again, “Hey Ted you think you could do a favor for me?”

“What favor is that Miss Dash?”

“Do you think you could fix something of mine that got broken a few days ago?”

“Do you have it on you perchance, or did I miss the pockets you have on the clothes you don't wear?”

“Look I just need to zip over to my house and get it, then I'll be right back.”

“Well I will probably be here most of the day anyway, you might as well.”

“Thanks Ted, you're awesome, but I don't think I'll be able to pay you that much.”

Ted smirked to himself, “You know, I hear talk you're the best flier in all of Equestria. Teach me to fly and consider the debt repaid.”

Rainbow Dash smiled, “You got yourself a deal, now I’ll be right back.” Out the door she went, off to her house on the other side of Ponyville.

Ted looked back to Fluttershy who was waiting patiently by the door, “You must have more important things to do than wait for little old me, you can come back later if you want.”

“Oh I'll be fine, besides Misses Boe might need help taking care of some things.” Fluttershy went out the door and towards the quaint house next to the workshop, leaving Ted to his work. She went over to the door and knocked, a pony answered the door. “Hello Ms. Boe, I just stopped by to wonder if you needed anything.”

The mare only gently smiled, “No I don't need help with much, that medicine for our dog is working fine.”

“Who's at the door mom?” a familiar voice said.

Fluttershy saw the same little Pegasus, Archie, from earlier hover into view. She looked a little surprised at him and then to Misses Boe.

“Oh you didn't meet our son before, Archie this is Fluttershy.”

“Hey she was with that zebra I told you about mom.” Archie said excitedly.

“Oh come now, not your little story again. Now go wash up for dinner, it'll be ready soon.”

“OK...” Archie fluttered off down a hallway.

“Sorry if the fact he's a Pegasus startled you Miss Fluttershy, we at the Boe Family like to adopt.”

“It wasn't that, I pretty much thought you adopted him. It's just that he was the same Pegasus my friend Ted saved from a bunch of thugs earlier.”

“You mean Archie wasn't just making up stories?”

“No, my zebragus friend Ted, he’s working in your shop right now. Helped the poor little colt out of some trouble, a bunch of thugs were apparently going to kidnap him.”

“Well the least I can do is have you and your friend over for dinner then.” Miss Boe smiled cheerfully at Fluttershy. Letting her in the house to help set up for dinner.

[/][/][5][/][/]

Ted had just returned to work after the lovely dinner he had with the Boe Family, he was rather surprised to see Archie was one of their family members, the little tike grew on him a little. As he was slowly working his way through the second set of Cart axles that needed repair he heard something land at the workshop door, Must be Rainbow Dash, took her long enough. He went to the workshop door to see the brown pegasus from earlier standing there with an evil smirk on his face. “Did someone get a promotion for worst fighter ever?” Ted smirked back.

The brown one just got angry, “Look I am not here to mess around, I followed you and saw that bow thing you got. And you're going to bring it out to the Everfree, alone. NO friends, NO armor, and if you try anything funny at the place,” The brown gave Ted a rolled up map, “Your friend is going to get it ya hear.” The brown then took off into the sky towards the Everfree forest.

Ted hurriedly opened the map, a blue feather tied with a lock of rainbow hair fell out. A note written on the map had a place circled and simply said, sunset, here. Ted made a mental note of the landmarks he was supposed to use to find his way to the place. Ted looked to the sky, it was almost sunset already. I can't bother getting the guys together for this one, He ran back into the shop and grabbed his bag of holding from his station, and made sure all his stuff was in it. He took his messengers book and latched it around his waist. Then Ted took his bow off the wall where he had it laying and slung it over his back, and out the door he took off towards the Everfree.

[/][/][6][/][/]

Ted had been running through the forest for a while, passing the landmarks as he went. But he was finally upon the clearing with the strange stone pillar. He paused for a moment, and scanned the area. He couldn't make out much in the tree line, but above there were plenty of clouds, and he remembered that pegasi could potentially be up there. He made a note of a few good possible escape routes in each direction, and then he broke cover. Once he found himself standing out in the middle near the ancient landmark, a silvery unicorn wandered out around a corner. “My, my, so Balderdash wasn't lying after all. Seems there really is some form of pegasus zebra hybrid”

“Where is Rainbow Dash?” Ted said flatly.

“Oh excuse me, I forgot my manners.” The silver unicorn signaled and from the blackness of the tree line two pegasi appeared, flanking Rainbow Dash who was gagged and tied with rope around her mid section. Her eyes darted angrily between her captures.

Ted quickly looked about, he could make out silhouettes of ponies and a few Pegasi around the edges of the clearing, most of the escape routes were cut off. But the one directly behind Rainbow Dash was wide open. “Don't worry Dash, I'm not letting them keep you.” I hope I can still do this.

“Now would you be so kind, my good Zebragus to just hand ove-” The silver unicorn stopped when he saw Ted's eyes turn into orbs of grey.

Ted let the power of the fey embrace every part of his body, it encompassed him and the area around him ever so slightly. He could feel the barriers of the world around him weakening, his form going over to another place. The world's color dimmed and grayed, he felt his physical form melt into the ether of this new place. Time was slowed, but he didn't have much to begin with. Quickly he moved himself through this ethereal world.

“Boss, what just happened?”

The silver unicorn looked about, he could still feel that blasted things presence, but it was all over the place. Then he heard a noise behind him.

Ted reappeared behind the larger of the two pegasi, solidly slamming his hoof into a nerve joint under its shoulder. It collapsed from the pain, Rainbow Dash took the initiative and slammed her weight into the other that flanked her, knocking him over as he was unprepared. “Quick this way!” Ted shouted to her.

They broke into a gallop back into the forest where Rainbow Dash was escorted from. Ted could hear the sound of a small stampede and a flock of wings behind them. As they ran through the forest dodging branches and underbrush, Ted heard a small flurry of bows let loose their cargo. “Take cover!” Ted shouted. Rainbow Dash shot for a bush underneath a tree, Ted followed but was just a tad too far away. He felt himself get peppered by arrows, the pain streaking through him. As he skidded across the ground into the bush.

“You stupid FOALS!” Ted heard the silver unicorn shout, “I want that zebragus ALIVE!”

Ted looked over himself, he was hit four times, twice in one of his haunches, once on his back right behind one of his wings, and another was stuck into his messenger book. He looked over to Dash and un-gagged her, “Oh my gosh, Ted are you alright?”

“I’ll be fine I’ve suffered worse in my time. Now let’s get you out of that harness shall we.” Ted took his gauntlet out of his bag, clicked out the hidden blade and cut the ropes off of Dash. When the ropes fell off, Dash winced in pain as one of her wings lazily hung off her side. Ted looked up to her surprised.

“I'll be fine Ted, they broke it when they jumped me. Do you have any of those potion things you used on me?”

“Yes I believe I do.” Ted quickly rummaged through the bag; he could hear the search parties getting closer. He pulled out one, and searched for another, but to no avail. He knew what had to be done. “Here take this one, I got another.”

Rainbow Dash quickly drank down the potion and winced at the pain of the bones in her wing mending. “OK now you.”

“There is no me.”

“What, but you said-.” Dash realized what he was doing, “No, you're not going to do this you hear. We can make it.”

“Look at me Dash!” Ted said in a serious tone, “I got one ruined leg, a wing that’s unusable even if I knew how to fly. If I used that potion on me and we ran for it they have too many earth ponies, chances are we are already surrounded. The only way out is to fly.”

“What am I supposed to do just leave you behind? Maybe I can carry you out.” Dash said with a stomp of her hoof and concern in her voice.

“Dash, I’m hopeless. There is no way I am getting out of here without getting caught, they want me alive anyway you heard that leader of theirs. But I do have one chance.” Ted took off his bag and stuffed his gauntlet back inside, and placed it over Dash's neck. “You need to find my friend, the last time I heard from him he said he was at a library in town. He'll know what to do, he's a blue unicorn, kind of messed up face and he'll answer to Cartanis.” Ted went to open his messenger book, but his hope of telling them what had happened was dashed when he saw the pages covered in ink, the arrow apparently piercing enough to do some catastrophic damage to it. He stuffed it quickly within the bag as well.

“How will I know where to find you?”

“That's the part I’m not sure about, maybe if you bring my friends here they can track me. We just got to focus on getting you out of here or I might as well be dead meat.” Ted looked around above them, a few Pegasi were scanning the area below. “Now I need you to fly as fast as you can, I’ll try to cover you but you need to make it out of here.”

“You saved my life twice today Ted.” Dash was pointed a hoof at him, “If I don't find you alive wherever it is you're going to be, I’m going to beat the snot out of you for making me do this.”

“Oh I won't die, you still owe me a flying lesson, and I wouldn't want to miss out on that.” Ted checked one more time, an opening appeared in the skies above them, “Now FLY!”

As Rainbow Dash took off into the sky, Ted leaned himself against a tree. Using it to steady himself, for as soon as Dash broke the tree line the Pegasi began attempting to chase. He quickly began firing bolts of energy at them, ignoring the pain in his back each time he drew the bow string. Knocking them out of the sky in clusters with each boom of his arrows hitting their marks. The sky was a thunderous applause of marksmanship as hails of arrows erupted from the canopy below. Ted had managed to scatter, or at least halt, enough of them that Dash broke through their aerial blockade, he saw at least one Pegasus still chasing her. She'll have to deal with him on her own.

Ted felt woozy, his mind was slipping, the use of so much power in such a short time mixed with the blood loss was getting to him. He saw a few rather angry ponies starting to close around him. “You're finest accommodations, no exceptions!” Was the last thing Ted said before he fell forward and blacked out against the ground.

[/][/][7][/][/]

Rainbow Dash flew as fast as she could; the brown Pegasus was keeping up but was having trouble matching her speed. Rainbow Dash got an idea, He's a Thunderhead isn't he? He'll know where Ted is taken! A smile ran across her face, So, How about I see just how good of a flier you are! Dash then dropped her altitude, and disappeared below the tree line. Whisking her way around trees, the brown behind her was keeping good pace, but only just. Dash then broke away from the trees down a forest clearing.

Boulderdash closed on the fleeing mare, almost got you! He stretched out his hooves as far as he could; her tail was almost within reach. I'll show them Boulderdash isn't some laughing stock! Then with great agility, Rainbow Dash made an impossibly steep climb back into the sky. But Boulderdash was not so agile, and soon found himself smashing face first into a boulder which jutted out of the ground. Causing him to blackout.

Got him! Dash thought to herself, gracefully landing besides the unconscious brown Pegasus.

“Rainbow Dash? What’s going on?” Fluttershy landed next to Dash.

“Fluttershy?” Dash then noticed that she could see Fluttershy's cottage from where they were standing. “Look we don't have a lot of time, Ted is in trouble and this Pegasus knows where he is. I've got to get to Twilight's place.” Dash picked the Pegasus up onto her back, she had always been a strong flier. Even if this Pegasus slowed her down she wasn't going to give up on Ted. She took off into the sky, in the direction of Ponyville.

Fluttershy was close behind her, “I'm coming too, I might be able to help.”

[/][/][8][/][/]

Dash landed in front of the library, knocking on the door until it was answered by Spike. “Yeah, what’s up Dash?”

“Where's Twilight? I need to find somepony.”

“She left a little while ago with Professor, you probably just missed her. They went over to Sugarcube corner to try and get some sweets before it closed.”

“Was this Professor a blue unicorn?”

“Umm yeah, how did you know?” Spike noticed the unconscious Pegasus on dash's back, “Uhh-”

“No time to explain Spike, thanks.” Dash took back off into the air. Fluttershy still close behind. Night had fallen over Ponyville, and Dash was trying to get her bearings so she could find Sugarcube corner. All of a sudden fireworks exploded in the air over the town square. “Huh?” Dash looked at a stage that was sitting in the middle of the town square. She heard the sound of applause from the crowd gathered around it, standing in the middle of the stage was a blue unicorn in strange robes. “That has got to be Cartanis!”

Dash flew to the ground, and spoke with Twilight who was also there. Upon learning of Ted, Cartanis contacted Andur through his messenger book, and they went off to the town hall to rendezvous with him.

[/][/][9][/][/]

Ted woke to find himself on the cold floor of some kind of basement. He sat up to notice a collar around his neck, with a chain leading to a large heavy iron ball. What little light that was in the room showed him what his accommodations were like, Surrounded on three sides by old looking brick and mortar the fourth was iron bars like those of a prison. Ted checked his wounds, to find himself bandaged around the mid section and over his haunches. Guess they want something from me.

Ted heard the sound of a door open and shut, hooves clopping against the floor as a figure appeared in front of his cell, it was the silver unicorn from earlier. “My, my, don't you heal quickly. I thought you would be out all night.”

“Well maybe I would have been if my request for the best room would have been obliged.” Ted retorted back.

“Sadly all of our presidential suites are taken, although I hear from other satisfied customers that yours is the best in the cell block. But, I must say, that bow you have is really quite interesting, I was toying with it and I couldn't get it to do what you did to my ponies. But I can feel the power flowing through it, I would be so enthused if you could show me how it works.”

“I'm not sure it would respond well to misuse by some nameless hooligan.”

“Oh yes silly me, where are my manners tonight. You may simply call me Reginald, anything else is unimportant, well besides the fact that if you try to teleport again that collar will fry your brain. As for the bow not working for me, well, that would just be so sad if all your little fans didn't get to see the great Ted perform his feats of marksmanship for them wouldn't it?”

Ted wasn't sure what Reginald was getting at and shot him a curious look.

“Oh well didn't you know, we got your biggest fan right here!” Reginald then opened the cell door and threw in a small crying pegasus colt, it was Archie. “He must love to see your shows, he followed you all the way into the Everfree. Quite the dedicated fan if you ask me, I think I’ll leave him with you for the night. Maybe he can convince you to go out and perform tomorrow.” There was a hint of malice in Reginald's last words to Ted as he disappeared back the way he came.

Archie was crying on the floor, “Hey now, just calm down.” Ted gently patted the colt on the head, “They didn't hurt you did they?”

Archie stopped sobbing for a moment, “N-no but they said they were if you didn't show them how the bow works by tomorrow.”

“Oh I don't think we'll have to worry about that.”

“What? But they're going to hurt me Ted.” Worry was apparent on his face.

“No they're not, I promise you that. You see Archie I have friends, friends who are as powerful and clever as me. We never left each other behind before, and I know they won't start now. Why I bet they're on their way here right now.”

“Really?” Archie said with a slightly cheerier tone.

“Yes, really. We went on all sorts of amazing adventures together, me and all my friends. In fact we were so good, that we helped hundreds of thousands of peo- I mean ponies. They might not know of us here Archie but one day the evil in this land will quake in fear for its deeds when it hears our name.”

“What was your name?” Archie said with a curious look on his face.

Ted smiled at the colt's curiosity, “The Dungeon Masters.”

End of Chapter 4