• Published 22nd Dec 2016
  • 432 Views, 3 Comments

The Flying Dutchpony - Skaltrox Defiance Knight



There have been many sightings of the terrifying Dutchpony Ghost ship and no pony dares faces it in battle. Until one day.

  • ...
 3
 432

The Phantom Ship (I like ships okay)

"And the ship and her crew was doomed to sail the seas forever."

Silver helm spoke aloud as he finished the book on the fabled Ghost ship 'The flying Dutchpony', closing the book Silver helm stares at the cover, the cover shows an image of the Phantom Ship rising over the raging waves, looking very menacing while doing so. Sighing he stores the book away on its shelf, after gathering his thoughts he rises from his desk and makes his way up on deck. Silver walks around the crew of his ship as they go about their specific job, he sees some adjusting the sails and others cleaning the deck and all were working very hard to control the ship. As Silver helm walks up on to the poop deck he marvels at the strength in the several ponies turning the helm so the ship would stay on course, they looked tired but still pushed on, then he stared at the ship itself, Silver helm's ship was his pride and joy the ENS Crystal soul was a 5th rate pegasus-class war frigate with 44 cannons, it had 28: 18 pounders on the upper deck, 10: 9 pounders on the quarterdeck, 2: 9 pounders and 4:18 pounder carronades on the forecastle and finally two swivel guns at the stern. She had a crew of around 280 and a hold depth of 4.17 metres, despite her armament she has only engaged in three battles, only one of which did she successfully disabled and eventually sunk, but Silver did not mine the lack of combat he preferred to sail the seas with minimal problems anyway.

#####

As Captain Silver helm continued to scout the approaching rock island, a lookout pony yelled out to him "Captain, burning ship about 5 knots on the port side!" he shouted.

Silver looked to his left and just off in the distance was a burning ship which only seemed to have one mast still standing. "Boys, hard to port, let's check out this ship!" Silver ordered to his men, they all began to scramble to move the ship to the left so they could sail towards the mysterious burning ship. Sailing closer towards the ship Captain Helm couldn't shake the feeling of dread, it felt very strange going up to the soon to be wrecked ship it almost felt spectral. "Slow her down to a stop" Silver commanded the crew, after the ship came to a halt Silver helm and the rest of the crew studied the burning ship. It looked like a frigate of their rate but it had only 32 cannons instead of the Crystal soul's heavy 44, bodies were very few most were probably in the drink or below deck, although the ones that could be seen did not show any damage, that couldn't be said for the ship itself though, the main and aft masts were gone, massive gashes tore across the hull were cannon fire landed, the railings of the ship was smashed to pieces and the helm as well as most of the rudder was in splinters. Silver helm could just manage to translate what was left of the name plaque on the stern 'Everfree'. 'The Everfree? How could that be, it was en route to the unis isles and was meant to make port there 2 two days ago' Sliver thought as he continued to look at the burning remains of the ENS Everfree.

'What could of done this?'

"Captain, up ahead another ship!" the lookout pony called down to Silver helm, Silver in turn of this call looks ahead to what the lookout pony could see...and what he saw was a Phantom ship sailing around to their starboard side, several knots out, the crew of the Crystal soul could not believe their eyes at the very sight of the ghostly ship. It's sails were tattered and ripped, the hull seemed hastily repaired from cannon fire, the bow had multiple wooden spikes that jutted out like a malefic maw and lastly the crew, spectral ponies that thanks to their captain were condemned to sail the seas for all eternity. The sight was horrifying yet amazing to see, but that was short lived when the Phantom ship's cannons appeared.

Silver reacted as quickly as the cannon's fired on them "Hit the deck!" he shouted as the many cannon's of the ghost ship fired upon them, smashing holes into the Crystal soul's hull, but not so it filled with water. As the cannon fire stopped Silver rose to his hooves and yelled out "Fire!", the cannon ponies didn't need to be asked twice to light and fire their cannons back, the roles were reversed as cannon fire landed on the Phantom ship smashing holes and breaking apart already broken railings.

Silver knew if this was indeed the Flying Dutchpony, he would be outmatched and out gunned. The damage the Soul took looked (from Silver helm's view) to be more severe than what was expected from one full salvo, they had to flee now.... or die. Silver ordered the crew to let the sail's fully loose and escape to the nearest friendly port. Surprisingly their attacker didn't follow, instead it turned around and sailed off into mist that previously wasn't there. Silver helm's first mate, Dart eye, made his way to the captain's side and began to question him, "Cap'n what the bloody hell was that?" Dart eye said in his gruff tone.

Silver didn't say anything at first, instead he gazed back at where the Phantom ship was wondering if it really was true. He eventually said something to Dart eye "I'm not entirely sure Dart, but if I'm correct, that may just of been the you know what" Silver said implying to Dart that he should know the tale.

Dart caught on quickly "Ahh the Flying Dutchpony, but that is a mere fable is it not?" Dart eye asked.

Silver replied "It is...well it was, but this is the real deal now and if it has intentions to destroy our ships....then it is no different to our common enemies and what do we do to our enemies?" Silver trailed off twirling his hoof for Dart to finish the sentence.

"We destroy them?" he replied trying to answer correctly.

Silver replied with a smile "Exactly!"

Author's Note:

I know it's short but the next chapter will be bigger...and also the last one. This story is only going to be two chapters unless i decided to flesh it out