• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,511 Views, 199 Comments

Replay - Scootaloose



A musician has to start a life from scratch as a pony, but not everything can go the way you expect.

  • ...
16
 199
 3,511

Home

Home

I didn't get much sleep that night - with the thought of me possibly putting Twilight in the infamous "friend zone" and with Amy being around as another source for my worries (not that I don’t want her around or I think she can’t take care of herself), there lingered too much in my mind for a proper rest.

Though I suppose I did expect a feeling of responsibility to arise considering my own character, I still have mixed feelings about Amy - especially seeing as, as far as I can tell, I am the closest individual she can relate to. Not to mention she's my best friend's sister, and he promised her he'd do his best to help her. I felt it was my duty to take up Gary's promise and see it come true.

I woke up extremely tired that morning. The only thing that could plausibly get me out of that bed was if the room was on fire. Twilight could hurl pillows at me for hours and I still wouldn't move and inch.

"Johnny, we're going to miss the train if we don't leave for breakfast right now!" I heard Twilight's voice through the pillow that was over my head.

"I'll skip breakfast for more sleep..." I muttered through the pillow, "I feel like I drank a full reservoir of wine in one night..."

"What about Amy?" She asked. "Aren't you going to talk to her before leaving?" Oh, right... Amy...

"Alright..." I groaned, moving the pillow out of my face. The light coming from the window shone right over my eyes, and I tried my best not to cover up my face again. I slowly squinted my eyes open and saw Twilight on her side of the bed, organizing her bag.

"Not enough sleep?" She looked over to me. I simply nodded back at her, rubbed my eyes and sluggishly rolled out of bed to get up.

"I feel... I feel like I need to take care of Amy. This has been bugging me all night." I said, picking up the sunglasses next to my bed lamp. "I'm the closest one related to her brother."

"You want to take responsibility for her brother?" She asked me. We started walking out of the bedroom and back to the dining room.

"Well... not exactly be her brother..." I replied, "Nothing like that. I just feel like I have to take hold of Gary's promise to her."

"What was this promise?" She asked. "She never mentioned that last night."

"She said Gary wanted to do whatever he could to see his little sister live a full life." I said, "They expected Amy to wake up in a time where there'd be a cure for cancer, or something really close to it. But it seems even here you ponies still have that going on."

"But we do have a way of treating cancer for good." Twilight assured me, "Princess Celestia said it herself."

"Yes, but the problem is that the treatment is done on ponies." I said to her worryingly, "They never did this to human species as far as I'm aware... What if something goes wrong in the treatment? What if the very thing Amy is afraid of happening... happens?"

"Johnny..." Twilight said, walking in front of me and placing a hoof on my shoulder to stop me from walking, "There is no way you can know for sure this will happen. You're trying to punish yourself over something completely out of your control."

"You're right..." I sighed, "Maybe some food will help clear my head..." We continued walking to the dining room.

Shortly after we finished breakfast, Twilight and I walked to the medical bay to see Amy. We were almost at her door when we crossed paths with Daring Do, who was just leaving Amy's room.

"Daring, what a surprise!" I said. Twilight was already in her state of fan-girl shock and was staring at Daring, "What are you doing here?"

"I was giving Amy some encouragement, "Daring replied, "I was also asking a few questions about the lab she was in - mostly about those server boxes you mentioned."

"Did she know what they were for?" I asked.

"Apparently they're holding a lot of information about what happened during the time the lab was running." She replied, "Stuff like weather reports, world news, all sorts of things - And apparently we can recover them."

"Oh right! The hard drives!" I remembered, "Hopefully we can still get them intact, Because of that liquid nitrogen spill that happened there..."

"Luck will have to be on our side, I guess." Daring shrugged, "I'm heading there now with some specialists to help recover them. We're bringing proper lighting this time..."

"Good luck with that." I smiled, "Keep me posted on what happened and with what you find. I might be of help."

"Will do." She nodded and looked at Twilight who was still staring at her, "What's up with her?"

"Fan-girl shock..." I chuckled, "I've seen these happen a lot in my time."

"Right." Daring shrugged, "I'll talk to you soon." She walked away back to the waiting room me and Twilight came from - who finally snapped out of her trance once again.

"Hng..." she groaned, rubbing her forehead, "I need to learn how to stop doing this..."

"At least you weren't screaming and trying to kiss her." I chuckled, remembering some scenes that happened to many famous artists back in my days. Twilight raised a brow at my response.

"I'm not into mares..." She said, slightly annoyed.

"I know, just giving an example," I replied hurriedly, "Don't get worked up over this." We continued walking towards Amy's room, and when we entered we saw her eating breakfast - which consisted mostly of fruit, some lettuce and corn on the cob. Poor Amy... she's being forced into being a vegan like this.

"Oh, hey guys!" Amy cheered, "How's it going?"

"Just passing by before we head back to Ponyville." I said, looking at her plate. "You sure you're going to be okay? You don't seem like a vegan person..."

"Oh this?" She looked at her plate, "I'm not vegan, but I never ate too much meat anyways. It won't be a problem for me."

"But I am missing the bacon, though..." I said, Twilight looked at me in confusion, and Amy simply laughed but completely understanding how I felt. "And it's best you don't know what bacon is..." I said to Twilight, who shrugged in response, yet slightly nervous about it.

"You seem cheerful this morning." Twilight remarked, "Are the doctors treating you well?"

"Some doctors are kinda cranky, but the the nurses are so sweet and adorable!" Amy squealed, "I just want to hug them until my arms fall off!"

"Glad you're happy, then." I smiled. Seeing her without thinking about her problems for this little while gave me a small relief. "We'll see you back in Ponyville."

"And don't worry, we'll find you a place to stay." Said Twilight. Amy waved at us as we walked out of the room.


The trip back to Ponyville lasted all day. We didn't ride in an empty car like last time, and we just read a book in silence during the whole ride. When the announcer spoke on the intercom about Ponyville coming up next, the sun was about to set. We left the train station and headed towards the library in silence. When the library door was in sight, we spotted Spike locking the door and holding a pillow.

"Spike?" Twilight called out as we stopped right behind him, making him scream for his life.

"Gah! Don't do that!" He yelled as he turned around to face us. "Oh, it's you guys... Welcome back!"

"What are you doing with that pillow?" Twilight asked Spike.

"I was going to uh..." He trailed off, "...sleep at somepony's house for tonight." Why am I not surprised...

"Who is this somepony?" I asked him.

"Rarity..." he muttered silently.

"Heh, I knew it." I chuckled. Spike threw an angry glare at Twilight, which made me stop laughing almost instantly.

"You told him!?" He scowled at Twilight, who was a bit surprised herself, "I thought I told you to not to tell anypony!"

"And she didn't tell me about it." I interrupted him, "I picked up on that as soon as you mentioned Rarity on my first morning here."

"Oh..." Spike said, looking back at Twilight. “I'm sorry for yelling at you Twilight..." He hugged her leg, in which she wrapped him with her other leg in a small embrace. It was an adorable scene and I couldn't help but smile at them. The broke the hug and Spike turned to me. "Was I that obvious?"

"Very obvious." I said, throwing a quick glance at Twilight, making her a bit uneasy. "Now that we're back, you don't have to sleep over at Rarity's anymore, right?" Spike's mood went down slightly by the look on his face.

"Hey, bud." I spoke again. Spike looked up at me. "I'm not one to decide whether you can go or not. That's up to her." I motioned my head towards Twilight.

"You can sleep at Rarity's for tonight." She smiled at him, whose mood instantly went back up and had a big smile on his face, "Just make sure you come back before the library opens tomorrow, alright?"

"Yeah! Yeah!" He said while he ran out into the street. "See you two tomorrow!"

Twilight opened the door and we walked to the kitchen to grab a quick bite and a drink. We went upstairs towards our respective rooms to drop our stuff on whatever we lay our eyes upon when we enter the room. My first glance was at the bed that was neatly made - probably done by Spike while we were away. Since the only thing I had on was Twilight's sunglasses, I lobbed it onto the bed and walked towards the bookshelves in the room to check out what books Twilight had in there. That is, until she called me out from her room.

"Johnny! Come here for a second!". She called out. I left the room and took a turn towards her door - It was wide open and I saw Twilight sitting on her bed that was located on a platform near the window. Her study desk right under it and neatly tidied up. I climbed up the stairs and stopped by her bed.

"You like star-gazing, right?" She asked, looking out the open window and at the early evening sky - it was just beginning to turn dark and had a mystical shade of purple near the horizon, partially hidden behind other houses and the trees in the park.

"Yeah. How did you know that?" I asked, slightly surprised of how she knew about it.

"When we were heading out to Canterlot, after that incident in the cart..." She began. I nodded, signaling for her to continue, "After we went back to sleep, I saw your shadow across the corridor. You were sitting, just like I am right now."

"Yep. I like star-gazing once in a while." I said, smiling.

"Then come here and join me. It's going to be a new moon tonight." She smiled, and shifted over to the side. Oh, what the heck, Johnny. Can't hurt, right? I climbed her bed and sat next to her by the window.

"It's not completely dark, yet." I commented, "We still have a few more minutes until we can see a decent amount of stars."

"I guess so..." Twilight said, "but the sky is very beautiful at this hour, don't you think?"

"Yeah." I said, looking out the window, "The twilight sky is breathtaking." I looked to my side and saw that the other Twilight was blushing slightly. "You mean the sky, right?" I asked awkwardly.

"Whatever you wish it to be..." She said smiling, continuing to look out the window. Seriously Johnny? Are you seriously going to deny this? My mind was in conflict with itself. One side kept arguing against it, while the other kept arguing to go for it.

"Twilight..." I muttered after a minute of silence. She turned towards me. The few stars that were visible in the sky were reflecting onto Twilight's dark purple eyes. Once again... get this thing over with, dude! "I need to talk about something..."

"I know..." She replied calmly, "I can tell from the look in your eyes. What is it?"

"This... thing going on with us." I began, "One part of me keeps telling me 'yes', and the other says 'no', and I have no idea what to do..."

"Are you saying..." She said carefully, concerned. I didn't let her finish her sentence, though.

"I mean, I like you and all that..." I continued, "It's just that I'm torn between whether this is right or wrong, you know?" From the look on her face, Twilight still didn't understand what I was saying.

"I don't follow..." she tilted her head, puzzled.

"Let me try that again..." I cleared my throat, "One part of me tells me that I should just be friends with you, and that I shouldn't go farther than that..."

"And the other side says otherwise?" She completed my sentence. I nodded silently.

"I think it's because of the fact that I'm still human." I continued, "Not physically, but mentally. A human and a unicorn is just something that sounds really confusing to me... It feels weird."

"I see no problem with that." Twilight argued, "Look at Spike and Rarity for example; he likes Rarity, and the fact that he's a dragon doesn't stop him from caring about her." She's got a point...

"I guess it's that whole 'Love knows no bounds' kind of thing..." I shrugged, "That sounded so cliche."

"And cheesy..." Twilight giggled. I joined in almost instantly.

"So cheesy I could store it and never run out of it for a year..." I joked, but silence fell upon us, and I shrunk quietly in place while looking out the window.

"... Why store so much cheese like that?" Twilight asked out of the blue.

"It was a joke." I laughed. Her tendency to take things literally most of the time is what made me realize why I liked being around her in the first place - She does have that creepy habit of listening in to what others are saying to themselves, but it was alright.

"Oh... heh." she laughed awkwardly, "I get it now: too much cheese, so you have to-" I put a hoof on her mouth to stop her from speaking.

"You don't have to explain it." I chuckled, and looked back at the evening stars. After a few moments of silence I spoke up. "I think I know why I'm liking you now." I chuckled.

"And why is that?" She asked quietly.

"You're 'adorkable'." I said turning to her, looking into her dark purple eyes as they reflected the night sky.

"A what?" She asked, puzzled.

"What I mean is that you're cute..." I blushed, and quickly continued, "... and nerdy."

"...Nerdy?" she inquired. She wasn't offended by the look on her face, just mildly confused.

"Let's see..." I placed a hoof under my chin, "Dorky, bookworm, egghead, etcetera... Nerdy, get it now?"

"Oooh..." She blushed, "Bookworm, because I like to r-" She stopped talking again when I glanced at her. "Oops... I did it again..."

"Yes. And it's adorkable." I smiled at her. She smiled back and we both looked back out the window. Twilight rested her head against mine and we stared at the sky in peaceful silence for the rest of that evening.