• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,081 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,081

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XV: Pancakes

"Augh... what is that aching feeling on my side?" Sapphire groaned, opening her eyes slowly as she let out a yawn. She pushed her side off the bed as she stretched her legs before she felt something new pressing against her bed as well as knocking the covers off herself. Opening her eyes wide at that, she jerked her head to see her right wing pushing against the bed, to which she groaned as she said, "Great, I forgot I have wings and that its a bad idea to sleep on your side..." Looking at the window, Sapphire squinted her eyes as she noted that the sun was just starting to rise.

Getting out of the bed, Sapphire approached the door, hoping to find somepony to direct her to the dining room. Instead, she jumped back in shock when she saw a yellow coated pegasus mare with a blue mane and pink eyes, dressed in a maid outfit who said, "Good morning Princess Sapphire. My name is Joyful Clouds, and Princess Celestia assigned me to be your castle guide for the day," as she smiled at the shocked Sapphire.

Shaking her head clear of the surprise, Sapphire said, "Umm... okay... how about you guide me to the dining room then?" Sapphire asked.

Nodding, Joyful turned around and started down the hallway as she hummed a merry tune to herself, Sapphire following with a raised eyebrow. It didn't take long before the pair reached the dining room, where Cadance and Celestia were sitting at their seats. They were waiting until Sapphire stepped inside, where they both turned their heads towards her, with Cadance speaking first as she said, "Ah, Equestria's newest princess has finally awakened."

Frowning at that comment, Sapphire sighed as she took the seat opposite of Cadance, muttering, "If I actually had a choice, then there wouldn't be a new princess today."

Picking up on Sapphire's muttering, Celestia gave Sapphire a sad smile as she said, "I know you have grievances about this pivotal point in your life, but you really need to look at the bright side of things. For instance, the recovery of your memories could become a royal matter of great importance instead of Luna's side project. We can freely devote resources to finding more clues to your past now since you're now a princess, something we couldn't do if you weren't one otherwise. And there's this," as she teleported out of the room, confusing Sapphire for the moment until the dining room doors on the opposite side from where she came in opened. Wheeling in a cart that had four plates covered with pancakes, with one of them having three stacks instead of one that were four times taller than the other three. The tower was then levitated and placed in front of a wide-eyed Sapphire. Chuckling, Celestia stated, "And you get to have a rather large stack of pancakes made by yours truly."

Sapphire stared at the massive pile of pancakes before her, before grabbing her fork with her magic as she started to stuff whole pancakes into her mouth, to which Cadance sighed as she said, "Well, at least since I now know where all that food is going, I'm only somewhat disturbed by her eating habits. Though I do hope that ponies don't decide to take after that, otherwise we'll have a famine at some point."

"Indeed, though there is something I would like your assistance in, my niece," Celestia asked as she took a bite of her pancakes.

Turning her attention to Celestia, Cadance asked, "What is it Auntie?"

"I would like you to give a basic rundown of the ceremonial duties that Sapphire should expect to do at some poi—" Celestia started to say as Sapphire stuffed another pancake into her mouth, only to be startled by what she heard, causing her food to go down the wrong pipe as she started to choke. Looking in shock at that, Celestia was about to say something when Joyful rushed forward, wrapping her hooves around Sapphire as she gave her the Heimlich maneuver. Sapphire soon coughed out a rather large chunk of chewed pancake gunk that ended up crashing into Cadance's face, causing her to shriek in terror before falling out of her chair. "...Maybe it was a bad idea to bring that up during breakfast..."


"So, you're an alicorn... did you kn—"

"If I knew, I wouldn't have stayed here for the night then," Sapphire stated with a flat look, causing Cadance to flatten her ears against her head. It was shortly after breakfast, which Cadance spent most of going back to her quarters for a shower before returning, to receive the rest of Celestia's request. This led to the pair being in a private study inside the castle, with Joyful happily waiting outside, which Sapphire found to be a bit creepy.

Sighing, Cadance stated, "You don't have to be so negative about this. You should be overjoyed since many ponies would love to become a princess or a prince."

Waving a hoof around, Sapphire said, "Woo... I'm a princess now, and Princess Celestia has plans to lump me with some princessy duties. Where I would probably screw up and then have an angry mob that wants my head on a platter," as she lowered her head onto her hooves, Cadance looking a bit disgusted at that.

"That is rather morbid of you to think of..." Cadance replied. "And Auntie wouldn't drop that on you when you're not ready, that's just not in her nature."

"Well, I don't know her as well as you do, but I still can't help but expect that," Sapphire responded before sighing as she pulled her hooves down over her face. "It's practically like Veritas said, my life is going to be miserable."

"Who's Veritas?" Cadance asked as she tilted her head in confusion.

"Some kind of entity that lives in my head or something, I don't know for certain. But still, first I have amnesia, then I learn that a filly has more of an education than I ever have, then I become a fashion model to get some bits so I can finally support myself but I have to deal with all the fame that comes with it, and now I'm an alicorn princess who's probably going to be the center of attention for all of Equestria! What’s next, some kind of giant monster is going to be out for my blood?!" Sapphire complained before falling onto her backside, though her wings had opened up while she was on her rant, causing her to land on them as a result. Frowning, Sapphire added, "Just peachy... I can't even lie down properly with these wings in my way."

Rolling her eyes, Cadance said, "Sapphire, you really need to follow Auntie's advice. You need to look at the bright side of things, like the fact that you can fly now. Just imagine, soaring among the clouds li—"

"I'm absolutely terrified of clouds and don't ask why, I don't know why," Sapphire interjected, causing Cadance to blink in surprise before giving her a skeptical look.

"...Really?" Cadance asked, to which Sapphire simply nodded. Placing a hoof on her forehead, Cadance said, "Well, this complicates matters, since you can't go to cloud cities like Cloudsdale and the like. If only... wait a minute!" as she brightened up at an idea the came into her mind.

"...Okay... I'm starting to wonder if I should worry," Sapphire said, before rearing her head back as Cadance got up close to her.

"Oh, you shouldn't! For I'm the alicorn of love, and a mare your age should have met somepony at some point that you had a crush on!" Cadance exclaimed, until Sapphire put a hoof on her chest and pushed her away.

"I'm somewhat doubtful of that... and are you suggesting that I'm old?" Sapphire asked with her eyes narrowed at Cadance.

Leaning away, Cadance waved her forehooves in front of herself as she said, "Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that... though... since you were born an alicorn... it might be possible that you're older than you look..." as she tapped her chin in thought while Sapphire cocked an eyebrow in turn.

"Hey, what do you mean that I could be older than I look," Sapphire said in a disgruntled tone, finding herself to be a bit annoyed at Cadance's vagueness.

"Oh, is that if Auntie Celestia and Luna are over a thousand years old yet don't even have a wrinkle on their faces, then maybe you could be older as well but still appear as young as a mare in her mid-twenties," Cadance responded before looking at a wall. "Though... unless you're the kind of alicorn like me and not them... just earning your wings at an extremely early age..."

"...Okay, you're just confusing me now," Sapphire grunted out in annoyance, which prompted Cadance to let out a mild giggle as she took on a sheepish look.

"Oh, sorry about that, but back to the matter on hoof. Did you ever had a loving feeling, like your heart was fluttering at some point, or perhaps a longing of some sort that you can't understand?" Cadance asked, looking at Sapphire with expectation clear on her face.

Frowning, Sapphire looked up at the ceiling for a moment, before looking down at Cadance as she shrugged, answering, "Nope, never recall having any of those feelings in any of my memories, new or old."

Groaning, Cadance said, "Well, there goes that idea then..." before glancing at Sapphire's Cutie Mark. "Hey... so what is your special talent anyway?"

"Umm... I can't say for certain yet... but it appears to be water manipulation," Sapphire answered as she rubbed the back of her head with a hoof.

"Oh? Really? Can you give me a demonstration?" Cadance asked.

"Well, if I had some water nearby... maybe Joyful can get us some," Sapphire answered as she went to the door, opening it to see Joyful waiting with muted joy. "Hey... Joyful, can you get me a pitcher of water?"

"Yes, your majesty!" Joyful stated with a salute before dashing off.

Returning her attention to Cadance, Sapphire said, "Okay... she's a we—" before pulling her head back at the sudden appearance of a glass pitcher full of water before her.

"Here's your water as requested, your majesty!" Joyful declared before placing the pitcher on a nearby table.

As Joyful left the room, closing the door behind her, Sapphire just stared at the door for a bit before looking at the pitcher, saying, "Okay... moving onto my magic before I get too weirded out... according to the studies that Twilight conducted, I used a lot less magic to control water," as she levitated the water out of the jar, forming it into a sphere that she floated over to be between her and Cadance. "I could also control large amounts of water at one time, while manipulating them to do multiple things like taking shapes and turning into ice."

"Interesting... though it does seem like it can become cumbersome when you had to control a lot of water all at one time. It would be a pain for you to lug it around and make certain that you didn't lose any as you move it around," Cadance pointed out, causing Sapphire to look at the large sphere before them.

"You do have a point... if only there was a way to shrink it..." Sapphire said, rubbing her chin as she stared at the sphere. "Maybe if I pushed it down..."

"Well, there is a shrinking spell, but then you would need an enlargening spe—whoa!" Cadance started to say until the sphere of water suddenly reduced in size, becoming the size of a marble to the two alicorn's mutual surprise.

"Okay... that's new," Sapphire stated in amazement as she floated the water marble onto her hoof, with Cadance watching with surprise still.

"Yeah... and you didn't use a shrinking spell, right?" Cadance asked, to which Sapphire simply shook her head in response to. "But... but how then?"

"I don't know... though if Twilight was here, maybe she would be able to explain it," Sapphire said as she idly threw the sphere at the wall to see what it do, only for it to suddenly burst apart with a great force, spraying water all over the two as an indent the size of a rubber toy ball appeared on the wall. This caused the alicorns to stare at it before looking at each other in silence. That is, till Sapphire finally broke it as she said, "Umm... I didn't mean to do that..." as she gave Cadance an awkward smile.

PreviousChapters Next