• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 738 Views, 1 Comments

Circle of the Moon - GJT_Productions



Princess Celestia cancels the first Nightmare Night after Luna's return, forcing friend and foe alike to change plans...

  • ...
1
 1
 738

Plans Changing

"Oh! Sweetie Belle, will you be a dear and keep Opal busy for me? One of my neighbors just came in and I need to talk to him real quick."

"Why do I have to do it?"

"Because otherwise both she and you would get really distracting. Run along now and be a dear, please."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guard Upper Class Caramel chuckles at Sweetie Belle's sour glare in the direction of her older sister as the younger filly slowly retreats into a Carousel Boutique backroom. Rarity was up front manipulating thread and needle to fix a hem on a costume destined for reuse - the time just before Nightmare Night was particularly busy for an establishment like Carousel Boutique and Rarity couldn't afford to waste any idle time if the customers were to get their costumes on time.

"I wonder if Celestia ever felt that way about Luna sometimes..." Rarity comments, more to herself than to anypony else in particular.

"I really couldn't speculate, ma'am, but I imagine it would be the case." Caramel answers, continuing his chuckling after he speaks.

"Oh that's right, I forgot you don't work that night shift. How is the Guard life treating you?" Rarity asks, continuing her focus on her work as she speaks.

"It's alright, although there's been some tension considering the upcoming holiday."

"Does not surprise me, dahling. This is the first Nightmare Night that's come around since Luna - the REAL Luna - returned, and I can't imagine hearing of all those legends is going to be good for her."

"I completely agree. Maybe that's why Celestia did what she did this year. Don't know how much it'll help, but still..."

"Canceling the general festivities? I wasn't there for the announcement, but Rainbow Dash told me a little earlier when she stopped in with two gallons of vanilla ice cream for me."

"What in Equestria was Rainbow Dash giving you ice cream for?"

"I don't think you'd understand fully, because you're a stallion, but let's just say Dash thought I would need it to cope with the deluge of cancellations of orders. Hasn't happened, thank goodness, but I appreciate the gesture. At the very least, I know what to bring to Pinkie's next party now..."

"Yeah, I suppose..."

"Where's Lucky Clover? I thought he came back with you and Meadow Song..."

"Lucky volunteered to work extra shifts this week, so he's staying in Canterlot until next week. Rumor is he's on a short list for early promotion to Upper Class due to the ongoing shortages over at the castle, so he's trying to improve his odds of actually getting that bump up."

"Oh, well that's interesting. Good luck to him, if that rumor is actually true or not..."

"Yes, and speaking of the Guard, that's the main reason I'm here."

"Oh? What is it about?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, Rarity's focus on her work was broken by curiousity, and she looked up at Caramel for the first time since engaging in conversation with him. Caramel didn't begrudge the mare's split attention considering her busy state at the time, but was silently glad he had her full attention now.

"Got a message direct from Princess Celestia. She wants your talents to help with something. It's supposed to be a surprise for Luna, so it needs to be kept quiet." Caramel explains as he pulls out a sealed scroll from the saddlebag he's currently wearing. Rarity gives a curious eyebrow raise as she takes the scroll using her unicorn magic, the light blue aura holding it hovering in the air.

"Surely Celestia could've sent this to me by Spike or even just the direct post, why a middlestallion to carry it?" Rarity asks with confusion and some suspicion in her voice.

"The mail system is dangerously compromised. There are ponies out there that would gladly ruin the surprise, and not in an accidental way, if they got their hooves on this scroll. So the Captain in Canterlot had me bring it to you directly." Caramel explains.

Rarity continues her suspicious look as the seal is pulled off the scroll, causing it to unroll partly. Rarity begins reading and makes comments to Caramel as she reads, Caramel answering in turn: "So this is for Luna?"

"That's correct, ma'am."

"What's the deadline for this? I don't see any dates here..."

"The actual surprise won't be until after Nightmare Night, but before The Running of the Leaves. I'll get another message with a more specific date for you."

"OK... should Twilight and the others that got an Element of Harmony know about this?"

"Only as much as needed to complete the task. Celestia's orders."

"Fair enough... wait, the batponies are sponsoring this? This is a first..."

"There have been a lot of firsts with them. Considering they were kind of shunned until they correctly predicted Luna's return, that's hardly surprising."

"There's so much we don't know about them... hmm... I won't be able to focus on this until after the Nightmare Night rush, but I'll see what I can start now."

"Very good. Remember, secrecy is paramount. The enemy is even here, and could stop this project before it even starts."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rarity looks up from reading the scroll to see Caramel's face being a grim seriousness, as if he was dead serious about what he was saying.

"You look like I'm not taking this seriously, and I don't appreciate your lack of faith, Caramel." Rarity comments cynically.

"The enemy is here in Ponyville as well as Canterlot. And they are not the kind of enemy that will respond to the magic of friendship." Caramel answers in a grim tone. "All they seek is chaos, but failing that they will steal and kill and destroy without shame or mercy. Friendship will not sway them, so we must be prepared to deliver their just punishment and destruction, lest they destroy us first..."