• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 355 Views, 3 Comments

To Find an Alicorn - Shadowsnake89



A washout teams with a member of the royal guard to track down three criminals after a botched robbery in the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
 3
 355

In Dire Straights

“Three months,” Goldcap moaned as she sat on a pile of smashed rock. “Three lousy months and we still haven't gotten all of our magic back.” The whole while the golden coated unicorn mare complained, her companions were busy breaking up some of the larger stones in the area around them.

The blue coated, black maned stallion in the group whom they knew as Decepticolt, dropped the pick-axe he wielded and turned to her with an annoyed look. “As if we needed you to point that out to us yet again. You know, we could get a lot more done if you weren't constantly bellyaching about it.”

“Oh I'm sorry for actually caring about getting our abilities back so we won't be stuck working in this pit of perpetual misery for the rest of our lives.” she shouted sarcastically as she took notice of her puffy orange mane and brushed out some of the debris from earlier.

“Hey, I know you're both busy but I could really use some help breaking these boulders up,” the red coated, silver maned Zappityhoof shouted to get the two to cease the argument as she struggled to get the work done. “I don't want to get in trouble with the boss again.” Her body shivered as if some dark specter had burrowed through her.

“Hey!” the trio jumped to their feet as the hard as nails quarry foreman, one Limestone Pie stood high above them at the top of the large hole they were in. “You think I can't see you not working? I can see you not working. Don't make me come down there.” She pointed a hoof directly at the three unicorns who immediately jumped to their feet and frantically got back to the task at hand. Limestone glared at them for several seconds before disappearing from the ledge.

Goldcap took the second of privacy to take a shot at her male companion. “And once our full magic returns remind me to thank your dear mother for this wonderful place of employment.”

“Hey, cut him some slack. It's the least we could do to pay her back. I mean she is unknowingly harboring three big time offenders.” It had been three long months since the unicorns had been temporarily stripped of their magic by Princess Twilight for stealing Rainbow Dash's wings. Since then the three had tried to keep a low profile and await the return of their full power. Fortunately, depending on which one of the three you asked, Decepticolt's mother had allowed the three to take up residence in her home and to pay her back they'd taken jobs at a local rock farm.

“Besides, let's save our vengeful energies for Twilight Sparkle.” On that the three could agree. They just needed to bide their time a little while longer until what was done to them wore off completely and they could even the score. A short while after the day of work had concluded the three made the long trip home on the dirt road which led to the small village where they'd taken up residence. “Next time we're stealing Earth pony magic. This work is killing my back.”

“How much magic could they possibly have?” Decepticolt asked. “All they do is dig around in the dirt.”

Goldcap interrupted her accomplices as they approached the town. “They have magic ding dong. It's just less noticeable than Unicorn or Pegasus magic. It's not on the surface like the others. When Tirek escaped why do you think he went after them last?”

“Because it was harder to reach.” As the stallion came to the realization the three crossed paths with a lone unicorn wearing a black cloak that covered their face. The lone pony stopped and, without much warning, raced up behind them. The hood over the now confirmed brown stallion's head flew off due to the quick motion and revealed his glowing horn. In an instant and before any of the three could prevent it, the group vanished into thin air and completely disappeared from the road. Seconds later the three found themselves dropped in front of a desk in a spacious office where a well dressed gray Pegasus stallion sat waiting patiently.

“Well, well, well,” he said as he clapped his front hooves together on top of the desk. Goldcap was the first to attempt to back away only to find their exit point blocked by not only the pony who brought them their but also two large Diamond Dogs. Her gaze then turned back to the pony ahead of her, a long scar running down the right side of his face. “Look who decided to grace us with her presents.”

“Mr. Overcoat.” Both Decepticolt and Zappityhoof noticed that their friend had lost the confidence of which she usually carried herself as the scarred pony rose from his seat.

“Please, call me Cement. You know, I was nice enough to give you an audience with me. Now you know my time is very valuable.”

“Ye-Yes sir.”

“I went to the trouble of digging up those seemingly useless pieces of rock for you and what did you promise me? What?!” Her legs quivered as she kept her eyes trained to the ground. “My investment back times ten. That's what you said. Now, I could care less what you did with that tablet but I was promised bits and I don't see bits. You know what happens when I don't get what's mine? Ponies get hurt, or worse.”

Overcoat pressed a button under his desk that opened a large pit in the center of the floor. The trio quickly moved away only to bump into the three guards that prevented them from going further. Down in the pit was a large bird-like creature that stood on two feet. It sported burgundy feathers with a massive, razor sharp black beak as well as deadly looking talons on either foot. “I'd like to introduce you to Harvey. He's what you might remember in your school pony books as a terror bird.”

The three unicorns attempted to keep their distance as the bird took notice of them and attempted to leap at them. The effort of course was futile as the guards formed a makeshift wall to make them hold their position. “Thought they were all extinct huh? Well you'd be surprise what money can dig up if you're looking for a unique pet. Best thing about 'em is they're immune to pony magic.” He gestured to the guards as they moved to push the three in.

“Wait, wait! I'll get you what I owe, I swear!” Goldcap shouted out as she and her companions struggled to keep from being bird food. “In fact, I have it.” Overcoat motioned his hoof for the pony and two dogs to cease, for the moment at least. “Rare artifacts and gold, worth way more than that old tablet. I just need time to get them. Just one day is all I'm asking. That's it.”

The Pegasus hovered over the pit and stared into her frightened eyes for what seemed an eternity before he flew over to the desk and activated the switch to close the pit. The three Unicorns flopped to the floor in a nervous heap as he addressed them. “Alright, one day. If by this time tomorrow it is not in my possession, I'm going to have Harvey down there rip into you like a Hearth's Warming present and I highly doubt you're full of toys and candy. We clear?” After they gave terrified nods of confirmation the pony clapped his hooves together as the other Unicorn transported them back to the road.

“That's who you got the tablet for the wing removal spell from?” the bewildered red pony said as she shook herself off.

“Well where did you think I got it, the arts and crafts show?”

“This is just great. Not only do we not have our full magic back but now we have to find something to pay back a shady mobster pony. So what now fearless leader? Do you actually know where we're going to get these supposed relics or should I just put bird feed in my resume?”

Reasonably stressed by the ordeal, the orange maned pony simply walked on from where they stood to the small building they called home as the other two followed closely behind as they awaited a response. She opened the front door of the house and took her regular route to the basement that served as their base of operations/room. “Is that you honey?” a mares voice called out.

“Yeah, we're home ma.” Decepticolt called out as they walked through the house. The two new arrivals that still remained on the floor soon met up with the older pony who had a duller blue coat than her son. Zappityhoof with a bright smile hoped over and happily hugged her.

“How are you this evening ma'am?”

“Come now, Costa will do just fine. Where's Goldie?”

“Don't call me that!” a shout came from the basement.

“She's having one of those days.” he said, knowing this was probably the understatement of the year.

“We're all going to be having one soon.” Zappity whispered offhand.

“Oh dear. Did you two have one of your little lover's spats?” Costa's comment almost knocked her son off his feet.

“What? No mom. I told you it's not like that.”

“I don't see why not. You have two beautiful mares in this house that would make...”

“Well would you look at the time mom. You know we really got to get down stairs. Some very important stuff to take care of.” He forcibly moved Zappityhoof to the stairwell and forced her down and away from the awkward situation.

“How sweet.” she goaded as they entered the basement.

“Shut up. It's been like this ever since we moved in with her. She's got this weird idea that one of you two is my mare friend.”

“That is weird. I mean what girl would want to be with you? You still live with your mom.” she punched him playfully in the shoulder as they met up with Goldcap who had opened a trunk on the far side of the room. “So you wanna tell us how we're getting out of this?”

She turned back to them and held out a rolled up map before she headed over to the circular table in the center of the room. The two joined her as she unfurled the map which turned out to be a set of blueprints.

“Is that what I think it is?”

“Yep, I've had this in mind for a while but we've never been...”

“Desperate enough to try something so stupid?” Decepticolt interrupted as she looked up at him, clearly having no time for any of his nonsense.

“Yes, but what choice do we have now? We can get what we need out of there and we and that bloated gas bag will be squared.”

“And who knows what other juicy trinkets will find there?” the silver maned mare said as she stroked her chin.

“I can only imagine. Still, we're only going to get one shot at this so make sure you have what you need. This time tomorrow we'll either be paying off our debts or hightailing it out of Equestria.”