• Published 1st Nov 2016
  • 1,384 Views, 57 Comments

This is what we do - Foxgear



Life has changed for Big Mac, he's graduated High school, runs the Apple family farm, hunts monsters, and is soon to be married. He couldn't be happier with his day to day, but as the day to day danger grows. How will he keep his loved ones safe?

  • ...
10
 57
 1,384

Another bloody campsite

This is what we do ch 2

By Foxgear


Mac sat in the truck watching the scene in front of him play out while tapping his finger anxiously against the stirring wheel. From the passenger’s side Adagio looked on with worry at the array of flashing red and blue lights in front of them. The cops were at the park Sonata was investigating, a lot of cops, there must be law enforcement from three different counties here, which was not a good sign.

“Are Aria and Kira here yet,” Mac asks thinking about how to approach the situation. It was early in the morning and he was tired from the long drive to Cloudsdale and not sleeping in twenty-four hours. However even in his tired state of mind, Mac knew they couldn’t go in gun blazing like usual with all the cops here, but they had to look for Sonata and find her as soon as possible. Whatever she had been hunting sounded bad, if the roar had been anything to by. He asked Adagio if she recognized the sound. She said it sounded familiar, but she couldn’t name the species of monster, only that it sounded big.

The sound of gravel crunching announced the arrival of Aria and Kira, who stop beside them. Noticing the flashing lights. Aria rolls down her window so they could speak.

“What’s the plan boss? All this heat is gonna make it hard to get in there unnoticed.”

“I know. It will be impossible to bring the heavier weapons into the park with things like this. We’ll have to get by with handguns for now. Adagio, I know you don’t like it, but I’m gonna have to ask you to stay here.”

“Am I supposed to just sit here and wait for you then?” She retort hotly.

Mac held his hands up in defense, “It’s just too dangerous with you pregnant right now. That being said, maybe you can figure out what the cops are doing here or why there so many of them and give us a call with the details. Meanwhile, Aria, Kira and I will go around and try to pick up Sonata’s trail.”

Adagio crosses her arms clearly unhappy with being left out of the action, but ultimately agreed with Mac’s logic, “Alright be safe you two, Kira please keep them safe.”

“You have my word,” the white patroller vowed.

As Mac climbs out of the cab Adagio grabbed him by the shirt, “Bring my sisters back safe Mac and make sure you come back too.”

He rests his hand on hers and smiles, “I promise. Be careful while we’re gone.”

Adagio kissed him on the lips, “I will.”

The three set out into the woods cutting their way through the bushes and undergrowth as they walk a mile away from the police site crossing a shallow spot in the river to the other side. There they check their armament. Mac had with him a 1911 colt 45, his grandfather’s old service sidearm, Aria produced a 12 gauge shorty shotgun, and Kira had her swords.

“So… which way do we go,” Asks Aria as they all stare into the woods. Nobody certain which way to go. “I have a copy of the map Maddie made for Sonata, but she has several locations marked down, it’s gonna take forever to search them all.”

“I think we can narrow down the search by following the police. The chances are pretty high that their presence here is connected to what Sonata was investigating. I’m worried that whatever Sonata stumbled on was a lot bigger than the average monster,” said Mac walking into the brush. “Come on, the nearest campsite is this way.

The three carefully crept through the brush. Keeping a keen eye out for police and park rangers, who seem to be very nervous, like they were afraid something was gonna jump out and eat them. The tension in the air made it clear something happened and it was bad. Mac wonders what it could be, but he soon got his answer when he and the girls stumble upon the campsite under investigation or rather what’s left of it.

“This looks familiar,” Mutters Mac as they observe the ruined camp, reminding him of the campsite that he and Adagio found out in Hob’s valley, bloody, gory, and smelling of death. The family camper was ripped in two, red blood painting the walls with limbs thrown about and covered in bite marks.

Between the two halves of the camper ran a long blackened line of earth, like someone had taken a giant blow torch and ran it across the ground. Whatever had done this was defiantly not shadow ponies, but Mac found little comfort in that fact. What did this seem worse than shadow ponies. This monster was loud and reckless and didn’t appear to care if it was found or not, making it very dangerous.

The police left the scene. Mac step out of the brush approaching the scene. There was a large footprint in front of the destroyed camper, about two feet wide and three feet long, leading into the forest in the opposite direction of the police. The tracks disappear in the tall grass. A speck of purple caught Mac’s eyes. Reaching up he pulls a piece of purple fabric from a branch.

“I think we found our trail. Look at this, Aria.”

Aria took the cloth, a deep frown marring her face, “This is from Sonata’s shirt.”

A loud scream pierce through the forest, followed by gunfire.

“That has to be Sonata! Let’s go!” Aria screamed running to the brush.

They ran two miles through of thick brush, the thorny branches cutting them ruthlessly and with out mercy. The three came to a stop in a large clearing, finding the same scorch marks like at the campsite, only there were about a dozen or more black marks with a lot more footprints. What really caught their attention was the large pile of stones in the middle. Walking closer to the pile, Kira ran her fingers over a stone the surface of the giant rock looking like a disfigured face of something monstrous.

“It can’t be,” she whispers stepping away from the stones, her hand hovering over her sword hilts as her eyes dart to and fro. “Keep your wits about you, something very dangerous is nearby.”

Mac and Aria pull their weapons, standing back to back with the dragon pony.

“Mind sharing what that is,” whispers Aria as she looks around for any moment from the tree line.

“We’re dealing with…” A cry of ’Help!’ Interrupts Kira's explanation as Sonata comes barreling out of the trees in a mad dash. Heavy thunderous stomps following her.

“Sonata!” Aria exclaims running towards the blue siren, only to stop in her tracks as the thunderous stomps got louder and the source came barreling through the tree line, breaking tree trunks in half as it barrels after Sonata, barely hindered by the trees. The creature was big! Standing half as tall as the trees, with gray clay-like skin, a unicorn horn atop its head and one big eye that took up most of its face.

Aria screams, “Cyclops!” Unloading her shorty at the monster to get it off Sonata’s tail, the rounds create small poofs of dust, but no noticeable damage or even a drop of blood.

“Get out of there you two! That’s no ordinary Cyclops! That’s a stone Cyclops!” Kira yells charging at the monster. She couldn’t believe she’d be facing one of them again after so many years.

“Kira look out!” Mac yells as another Cyclops came barreling out of the forest. The second Cyclops grabbing Kira around the waist swinging her wildly about. She struggles in the monster’s grip unraveling her hair in the process and freeing one of the ornament chopsticks she used to tie her hair bun. Grabbing the metal stick between her teeth Kira stabs the chopstick in the monster's big eye, prompting it to release her. She fell and rolls across the ground, drawing her swords as she rose back to her feet.

“Be wary, they like to hunt in packs,” Kira warns, mentally kicking herself for not remembering that. Her old age must be worse than she thought.

The cyclops rose up recovering from her surprise attack, its eye glowing red and Kira knew what was coming.

“Dodge now!”

A beam of fire shot out of the cyclops eye, burning the earth and leaving a smoldering hot trail of fire in its wake. Mac and Aria split up, Aria dragging Sonata with her as Mac got the cyclops’s attention by shooting at it, his bullets leaving nothing but little chips in the Stone cyclops’s skin.

“Kira, info please,” Mac shouts as the cyclops chase after him, stone fists swinging wildly as the monster continuously fired its magic beam. “How do we stop these things?”

“You have to destroy the eye or smash it hard enough to turn it to dust, but… wait Mac don’t do that!” Kira screams as Mac ponied up and charges the cyclops, the horn on the monster’s head glows creating a dome of blue around its body, Mac entered the dome, his ears and ponytail disappearing when he did. Mac stood confused. Until the Cyclops starts to swing at him again. Forcing him to make a tactical retreat, while firing his gun over his shoulder.

“What happening? Why can’t I use my magic?”

“The horns on the cyclops’ head produce an anti-magic field! You have to have magic on par with the princesses to counter it!”

“That’s just perfect! What do we do now?”

Kira smirks as lightning dances along the edge of her blade, growing ears, a tail, and horns on top her head she let loose a blade of lightning from her sword that sliced one of the cyclopes in half.

“You leave this to me!” Kira charges in faster than anyone could follow, moving like lightning she cuts the legs off the remaining cyclops making it fall flat on its face. She then proceeds to cut off its horn and then its arms when it tried to grab her. Kneeling down, eyes like a raging storm, Kira grabs the Cyclops’s eyelid and held it shut so it couldn’t use its magic beam. The cyclops let loose a terrible roar of pain as it burned the inside of its own eye.

“I never thought I would see one you again,” she sneers tightening her grip on the monsters eye as it wallowed in pain. “You’re a not a natural monster, nor a well-known one in history. I wonder who made you then? If you weren’t so stupid I would be skewering your guts out with my sword for information, but we both know that would be a waste of time. I’ll finish this quick.”

Kira releases her grip and stabs the cyclops in the eye, the blade going down the cyclops brain into the throat before finally hilting when it pierced the heart. Kira rips the blade free with a savage tug, her hand, and weapon covered in gore.

Mac carefully approaches Kira never seeing her act so… savage… but that wasn’t what was bothering him so much as how calm she looked about the whole thing, looking as if she just opened a soda can.

“You ok Kira?” He asked keeping a good distance from her. Kira took a deep breath then exhaling, her shoulders slumping as her muscles relax. She pulls a white cloth from her kimono and cleans the blood off her blade in a rhythmic fashion that said this was a regular thing for her. Once her swords were clean. Kira sheath them and turns to the rest of the group, looking as grandmotherly as she ever did.

“Sorry if I frightened you all,” Kira said appearing embarrassed, an odd emotion given the situation thought Mac. “It’s been a long time since I have needed call upon such power, let alone against a Stone Cyclops. How I hate these creatures.”

“Understandable,” replies Mac.

With the matter of how terrifying Kira was behind them. Mac walks over to Aria who was helping Sonata. The blue siren was covered in cuts and bruises and looking like hell. Her clothes were barely rags and she had a bite mark that ran from shoulder to shoulder.

“What happened?” He asked gently, taking note of the coat on the ground next to her, it looked kind of familiar.

Shaking and with tears rolling down her face as relief flooded her body Sonata answered, “I was searching through the campgrounds last night when these… things attacked me! I ran and ran and I… I ran into a family camping. I-I-I got them killed. I tried to save them, but the monsters just torn through the camper and… and…” Sonata’s cries worsen and she began to hiccup as she talked. “They ate them. They tore the parents apart and then… they ate the kids… then they tried to eat me! I don’t know how, but I could feel the teeth sinking into my body and then… nothing! Everything just went black and I woke up with this coat on me and then more Cyclops showed up. I’m… I’m just so happy to see you guys!”

Sonata flung her arms around Aria, the pink siren looking very uncomfortable as she tried to calm her fellow siren down, though it seem to have little effect as Sonata dug her face into Aria’s shirt, staining it with her tears.

“There, there,” Aria awkwardly said, trying to reassure the crying siren. “You’re ok. You’re safe.”

Picking up the coat Mac waves Kira away from the two sirens, wanting to give them some space. They walk a few dozen feet away, laying the coat out on the ground so they could get a better look at it. The coat was indeed familiar to not just Mac, but also Kira, as it was a patroller’s jacket. Complete with the unicorn skull and wings emblem and number on the sleeve.

“0013, I assume that’s a friend of yours Kira,” asks Mac trying to read the patroller’s expression. He was expecting shock or maybe a confession that she wasn’t just here on vacation like she said, but not confusion. “Kira, what’s wrong?”

Kira looked pale as she held the jacket in her hands, staring hard at the number stitched on the jacket. They were indeed 0013.

“Yes,” she said sighing while looking exhausted. She was certainly feeling her age after that little rampage. “0013 is a friend, his name was Shadow Specter, and he was a brave and dependable pony.”

“Was… is he dead?”

Kira shook her head, “I don’t know. He has been declared MIA… a thousand years ago. We had believe he had been captured by the griffons, yet when the war was over he was nowhere to be found. Still, I cannot say for sure it is him based solely on this evidence.”

Mac looks at his own jacket, wondering if there was someone else like him running around, a child of a lost night patroller, “You think he gave his jacket to someone else before it ended up on Sonata?”

“Maybe, I can’t say for certain, but I fear our trouble with the Stone Cyclops may not be over,” Kira told Mac ushering him back towards Sonata and Aria, a grim expression marking her aged face.

“What’s the matter,” he asked keeping pace.

“I just remembered Stone Cyclops usually travel in groups of four or more.”

The sound of gunfire erupts through the forest, followed by screams. The sound was coming from the police barricade!

“Shit let’s move!” Mac yells charging head, phone in hand as he tries Adagio’s cell. The phone rang and rang, but she didn’t pick up. He cursed and sprints faster. He had to save his fiance!


The shit really the fan now, thought Adagio as she ducks into the bushes, her teeth grit in frustration as she watch the scene play out before her. Monsters, the likes of which she has never seen before on Earth or Equestria were rampaging through the police line. The officers were in complete disarray and panicking at the sight of the gray skinned Cyclops, four in total, the monsters advancing quickly upon them with no mercy. Snatching up any officer too afraid or too stupid to run and devouring them in a gory fashion.

Adagio about lost her lunch as the sight of it, but forced it back down. In her hands she held a pistol she took from a dead officer and her cellphone which was cracked and broken. Destroyed when she had gotten out of the truck to talk to the officers. In the panic that followed the cyclops arrival, an officer ran into her sending her phone flying against a nearby boulder, snapping the flip phone in half upon the impact.

“Form up!” One of the leading officers yells as the officers positioned their cars into a barricade like Adagio has seen on TV, with the officers taking up a defensive position behind their squad cars and pulling out the more heavy duty weapons, such as AR-15’s and shotguns.

The four Cyclops did not halt in their advancement, nor did the officers warn them to stop like they did with humans. The police open fire, unleashing a wall of hot lead into the air, sadly the bullets did little in terms of stopping the Cyclops as their grayish skin was revealed to be stone.

When the Cyclops eyes began to glow, Adagio knew something bad was going to happen and she was quickly proven right as the Cyclops began shooting beams of fire from their eyes, laying waste to the police defensives.

“Ma’am you gotta get out of here!” One officer yells stumbling on her hiding spot as he ran from the fireball that was his squad car. She rolls her eyes and grabs his face, planting a kiss on his cheek and taking what little magic he had. He collapse to the ground, unconscious but alive, sadly he did not have an enough magic to give her a full transformation. She had pony ears, but no wings.

Fists tight Adagio ran past the fleeing officers, who stopped running as she passed them by, some of them screaming for her stop and turn around, but she ignores them. This was her job. Gun still clutched in her right hand Adagio jumps off the hood of a squad car, leaping higher than any human could into the air and unloaded the entire clip into one of the cyclops' eye. The monster sways and staggers. Landing on the ground Adagio rolls to break her fall and ends up in the river.

The water was shallow only ankle deep, but the river was wide enough to give her plenty of water to work with. Raising her hands Adagio summons a wall of water. The cyclops hesitate. That didn’t last long as one of the cyclops reached out and touch the water, the barrier easily giving to its touch. The water did slow them down and also prevent them from firing their magic beams, but it would also stop any bullets fired at them.

“Get ready for when they come out! Aim for their eyes as they exit the water and don’t stop for anything!” She shouts at the police. One of the sergeants nods, ordering the remaining officers to set up for the attack. She was happy they were in too great a shock state to question her; hopefully, her hair hid her ears enough that they didn’t draw attention. She was already bending water to her will, having ears would not help her case once this was over.

The Stone Cyclops emerge from the water slowly, the rapid current of the wall up slowing them down. One emerge before the others and the police opened fire, blowing chunks of stone off its body as they let loose a concentrated barrage of lead. The cyclops flails and screams as it covers its face with its hands. The other three kept coming. The police divert their fire. In doing so allowed the fourth to recover and keep charging, it’s eye a mangled mess of gore.

(At least it can’t fire its magic like that) Adagio thought with some relief, but really what was one when there were still three to deal with?

Bending the water Adagio creates two tridents, one in each hand, and threw them at the approaching cyclops. One trident missing completely, while the other cut off a piece of a cyclops head. The cyclops roared and whined looking directly at her. She gulps and summons up more water as the horn atop the cyclops head began to glow, the water she had been gathering fell with a splash the ground. Her ears disappearing. She wasn’t even going she-demon despite the obvious danger.

“Anti-magic, shit,” she curses running back for the police line. Not that it was gonna help her, but they would make some good meat shields as cruel as it may sound. Her need to protect her unborn overruling the officers lives, and if she needs to use these brave souls to survive then so be it. They would do the same if pushed, it was just instinct.

“Adagio!”

She stops and turns around with a smile on her face as relief floods her system, “Mac!”

“Run!”

And the smile was gone, “I know that! What do you think I was doing?” She screams back as she resumes her mad sprint to safety. Weaving through the police lines and she heads for the truck. Guessing they would want to make a quick getaway after it was all said and done.

Mac, Aria, and Sonata ran parallel to one another, the two sirens quickly stealing bits of Mac’s magic via a kiss on the cheek, taking enough to get the full transformation, wings, ears, and ponytails in all. They took to the sky letting loose a duet ear piercing shrieks that shatters the cyclops with the ruined eye to dust. They gave each other high fives for the victory.

“Payback time you big meanies!” gleefully cries Sonata as she bends river water into two spiraling discs of water and threw them at another cyclops cutting off its arms.

“Stop fooling around and take them out before they can use their horns!” Aria yells creating a sword of boiling hot water with it, she cleaves off the armless cyclops' legs and like a tree it fell to the ground. With the big eye level to her, Aria ran her sword through the cyclops' filling its body with boiling water, the monster flounders on its belly as red water burst out from under its skin, giving a final drawn out groan before slumping to the ground.

Aria steps back and admires her handy work, “That’s two!”

“Roger that, keep the officers safe, we’ll deal with these two.” Mac nods to Kira, who nods back. Together they ran at the remaining cyclops with Mac firing his pistol to get their attention. They were instantly on him with fire dancing in their eyes as they prepare to fire their magic beams. Kira took the moment to transform and cut off their cut off their horns. The magical limbs hit the ground with a loud “Thump”.

“I’ll finish this,” Mac declares ponying up. He ran up to the cyclopes, who were clutching the top of their heads, crying out in pain over the loss of their horns. Tightening his fists Mac forms spheres of orange magic and jumps punching one cyclops in the head, reducing it to dust and gore. Jumping off the shoulder of the cyclops he just slain, Mac lands on the other and did the same, ending the battle.

Landing on the ground Mac took a calming breath and reverts to normal, as did the others, and they all stare dumbly at the line of police officers still aiming their guns at them. The four stood together wondering what was going to happen next. Mac saw Kira’s hand twitching for her swords and he moves in front of her to block the police’s view. He couldn’t have them thinking she was a threat. Ok, she was probably the most dangerous one here, but he knew if the police tried to threaten Kira, she would probably kill them.

Aria steps closer whispering, “What do we do Mac?”

He frowns and says, “I don’t know. Never really thought about what would happen if we got caught.”

That wasn’t true. He had thought about what could happen if they were caught in public like this and he didn’t like where it most likely ended. Canterlot High was bizarrely accepting of magic and the craziness that came with it. The rest of the world probably would never be ready.

“Do we run into the forest?” Sonata suggested. “Maybe we can get away and have Adagio pick us up? She did run for the truck right? She should be able to get out of here; it’s not the first time she’s had to out drive the cops.”

Yes, it was going to be wonderful explaining why his wife to be had fingerprints matching fingerprints recorded in the fricken 1920s! He had to calm down. The police weren’t reacting, but that wouldn’t last forever, maybe they should just run for the woods or maybe he should have faith in his fellow man and try to talk it out with them…

Mac made up his mind.

“We’re going for the woods. Someone got a cell phone to call Adagio with?” Aria nods patting her pants pocket. “Good, slowly back towards the woods. No sudden movements. Their already jumpy, we don’t need to give them a reason to shoot.”

“Um… Mac?”

“Yes Sonata?”

“The woods may not be an option after all.”

Mac turned around, “Why-oh fucking hell!” There were more Cyclopes at least sixteen of them!

“You all get over here!” A policeman yelled. “We’ll cover you!”

Mac grabs Aria and Sonata by the hand pulling them as he ran, the cyclops were too close to try and pony up without running the risk of getting hit and he had a feeling getting hit by one of those things was not pleasant.

Sonata cries, “What about Kira?”

“Isn’t she… Kira, what are you doing? Come on! You gotta get out of there!” Kira stood alone against the cyclops hoard, swords drawn and crackling with lightning. Mac quickly tosses Sonata and Aria to the officers and began to run back to Kira to back her up. Ponying up as he ran. However, before he could make it halfway back something strange happened. One of the cyclops stopped dead in its tracks, its body going rigged as its gray skin blackened with silver fire coming from its eye.

Kira smiles at the strange cyclops, “So, you are here.”

The black cyclops roars pivoting on it's heel, smashing its massive fist into the cyclops beside it. The others seems to be shocked by their comrade’s betrayal. The rouge cyclops attacking without mercy, crushing heads and breaking his brethren apart piece by piece till only he remained. The cyclops then did something even crazier. It crushed its own head.

“I was not ready for today,” an officer said as he walked up beside Mac. Mac looks him over, reading the officer badge, it read Red Alert.

“Neither was I,” Mac replies, sensing that the threat was finally over. “And I’m used to this kind of shit.” He and the officer exchange looks. Officer Red Alert looking conflicted. He looks at his fellow officers and then to the ones that didn’t make it.

“That could have just as well been me,” he said indicating one of the fallen officers. “If it wasn’t thanks to you guys; though I don’t know what I’m gonna tell the chief and their families.”

“Bear attack,” Mac told him. Red Alert chuckles humorlessly, nodding as he wipes away his tears.
.

“Doesn’t explain the cars, but I doubt they would believe the truth. Dash cams aren’t working either, almost like they got hit with an EMP or something.”

“Magic tends to do that. We go through a lot of cell phones.”

Red Alert laughs, though his knees were shaking, “Magic huh… I liked it more when it was just for show.”

“So did I,” Mac replies, his eyes wary of the officer. “What are planning to do with us?”

An awkward silence came between them as the four wait for the officer’s response. Red Alert looks back to his fellow officers, seeming speaking through some sort of mental link as an older looking officer nods.

“I think… I’m going to go check on my men. I’d suggest you all get out of here before the ambulance arrives.”

Mac took the hint and nods his thanks. Together he and Aria carry Sonata toward the direction of their vehicles. They need to get Sonata to Nurse Nyx. She was the only one who wouldn’t ask questions about Sonata’s injuries.

“No car chase then,” Asked Adagio sitting in the driver’s seat of the truck.

“Not yet,” he said helping Sonata into Aria’s car. After making sure she was safely strapped in he told Aria to bring her to Nyx, Aria gave him an “I know” look and drove off, leaving Adagio, Kira, and him coughing on dust as she sped away. With nothing else for them to do here, Mac got in the truck taking the wheel from Adagio. Kira took the passenger side window, Adagio’s usual seat, Adagio huffs and huddles closer to him and grabs his arm.

As Mac put the truck into drive he couldn’t help but wonder how they were going to tell Maddie that her car got blown up. On that note how was he going to replace all the weapons, ammo, and equipment? That stuff wasn’t cheap.

Taking a calming breath Mac reminded himself that it was only stuff, what was important was Sonata was alive, hurt, but alive. That being said they had a real mystery on their hands this time, what with the hail attacking Gilda yesterday and the portals spitting out more powerful monsters. Things are probably going to get busy again.

From the other side of the truck, Kira sighs looking directly at him. “Are you not going to ask?”

“Ask what?” Mac shot back.

“About the Stone Cyclops and Shadow Specter, I know you want to.”

Mac looks at Adagio and then to Kira, “I was thinking about it. You seem very familiar with them. You fought them before I assume?”

Kira nods, “Yes, many times, many, many years ago. I’m afraid of what their presence could mean.”

“Why is that? They’re just monsters right?”

“They’re not just any monster Mac,” Kira said with a hint of anger in her voice, not something Mac was used to hearing from the white patroller, or Adagio as she scooched further away from Kira. “Stone Cyclops are not born, they are made, and there were only two ponies that knew how to make them and both are dead. One of them you know very well.”

“Madhoof,” Mac said knowing it could be no one else, because why not, he never met him but the bastard sure seemed hell bent on screwing with his life from beyond the grave.

“Correct.”

Mac cursed. He really didn’t want to get involved with Madhoof again, despite keeping the man’s daughter on his farm as a… consultant… though prisoner might be a more accurate description.

“I’ll talk to Maddie and see what she knows about this. What are you going to do in the meantime? Are you coming back with us to the farm or do you want to go back to Equestria? I can drop you off at the school if you want.”

“I think I’ll stick around. With young Sonata injured you are down a comrade, thus I will fill her role. I was getting bored of vacationing anyway.”

“Fine by me,” Mac mutters gratefully, happy to have the extra help, seemed they were going to need it. “So what about that rogue Cyclops since we’re on the subject? Was that your friends doing?

Kira nodded, “Yes, it was.”

“Not a very talkative fellow. He didn’t even show himself.”

“Shadow Specter has always been very reserved,” Kira remarked resting her chin on her arm. “When he is ready to show himself he will. I wouldn’t worry about it, though I wonder why he is here.”

The rest of the trip was in silence with only Adagio’s soft snores and the radios tunes to fill the air as Mac drove them back to the Canterlot.


Mac carries Adagio to their bed and laid her down, her arms clinging to his neck refusing to let go. He chuckles and pries her hands-free laying them beside her and pulls the blankets over her. Quietly Mac exits the bedroom and went to the kitchen to have a glass of milk.

As he held the cold glass in his hand he took notice of the clock, which read eleven. They had stayed awhile at the hospital to check on Sonata, who was under the tender care of Nurse Nyx, who assured them the blue siren would be up in a few days, though still sore. Nyx seem to have a knack for some sort of healing magic it seemed. Whatever the cause Mac was just happy Sonata was in the best of care and Maddie couldn’t leave the farm to bother Nyx.

Mac slips at his milk deep in thought. A pair of arms snaking around his shoulders, surprising him, “Can’t sleep?” His wife whispers huskily in his ear. With the other two gone it was only a matter of time before Adagio would want to take advantage of that fact.

“Kira is sleeping upstairs you know,” he drawls, though he didn’t mind the advances, it’s been a long stressful day. Some stress relief would be nice.

Adagio smiles coyly as she laid a trail of kisses down the side of his neck, “I seem to recall a certain private pond out in the woods. Care to take me there instead?”

“Well, I can’t say it wouldn’t be nice to see you soaked and wet again,” Mac suggests, his face burning bright red. He was not good with romantic talk, so he decided to just go straight for the kill and kiss her, locking lips in a battle that was bound to end in the bed.

Mac picks Adagio up bridal style, carrying her towards the bedroom and gently laid her down, mindful of her stomach. She smiles greedily at him as he lay down beside her when…

“Is this really the only sleepwear you have?” Kira asks standing in the doorway in long tee-shirt and sweat pants, effectively killing the mood, both man, and wife to be burned red, one with embarrassment and the other anger as they roll into a cocoon of blankets.

“Should have gone to the pond,” Adagio mutters angrily with disappointment at the lost mood. She turns over on her side in a huff, leaving Mac to deal with their house guest.

“I… uh… don’t know,” Mac admits not knowing what female sleepwear they had around the house. He knew what Adagio liked to wear, but that was out of the question, especially since her sleepwear could get a little spicy. “Check Sonata and Aria’s closets, I’m sure they won’t mind.”

“I will make do, I am sorry for the intrusion, please carry on and don’t mind me. You would not believe how many times I have done this with my own kids.” She laughs walking away, leaving Mac with an unrecognizable feeling in his gut as he laid his head down to rest. This was why he didn’t want a girlfriend till he moved out of Granny Smiths; it was for this exact reason and it still happened.

“That officer was right; I was not ready for today.”

Mac rolls in the bed he wraps his arm around Adagio, holding her close. Whatever tomorrow may bring it he could get by with her by his side.

“Don’t forget Applebloom is coming tomorrow to stay with us while Granny’s on vacation and Applejack at camp,” Adagio yawns settling back into her pillow.

Mac sighed, he might not be ready for tomorrow after all.