• Published 12th Aug 2017
  • 2,353 Views, 148 Comments

Failed Confessions to an Oblivious Friend - FerociousCreation



With her love for Sky Stinger overwhelming the mare, Vapor Trail attempts to confess her feelings to him. However, every time she tries to, something goes ary. Will she be able to tell Sky her emotions? Or with divine intervention prevent her?

  • ...
4
 148
 2,353

Tone and Action

It was such a quiet moment. Nopony dared to move after Vapor Trail delivered the message she has been wanting to give Sky Stinger. The stallion disrupted the quiet air, not quite shattering the atmosphere with a loud voice. “I… don’t know what to say…” Sky Stinger muttered. “Well, except for what I just said.” Giggles infected Vapor Trail’s sensitive heart and she pressed her cheek against the stallion’s chest. The big heart of his thumped rapidly, a sign Sky Stinger was heavily affected by the truth. “Might I ask why I am the pony you keep daydreaming about?”

“Of course,” the mare nodded. Vapor Trail noted the details in Sky Stinger’s face. His brows were at a curious and nervous bend. The blush on her friend’s cheeks still radiated, almost giving off a light at how red they were. But the tragic reality of Sky Stinger’s lips not smiling bothered the lovestruck mare. Still, Vapor Trail pressed forward, determined to finally tell the stallion the full truth. “Because… because…” Just let it all out. He now knows.

She looked into Sky Stinger’s eyes and began to count backward.

Three…

...two…

...one.

“You and I have been close friends for the longest time, Sky. Ever since you’ve wanted to fly with me, I’ve always felt welcomed while not being overwhelmed with affection like how my parents smothered me.”

“Funny how my situation was different from yours,” Sky Stinger said. “Yet, here we are.”

Vapor Trail nodded and continued, “And… over the years, I have grown very close to you. You’re brave, confident, and very protective of me. And I honestly find it very sweet at how much you want to keep me safe.”

“I just don’t like seeing my closest friend hurt,” Sky Stinger said and took the moment to wipe a tear from Vapor Trail’s cheek. “It isn’t wrong to do such a thing, now is it?”

“Nope.” Vapor Trail looked down at Sunbeam still and quiet, but was curious about everything happening around him. She didn’t look back at Soarin, but the mare wondered why he has not left yet. Whatever his reason may be for staying, Vapor Trail didn’t give the third wheel much attention.

Sky Stinger tapped Vapor Trail on the shoulder and brought her attention back to him. “You still have not told me why you daydream about me.”

“I did just tell you three things that I like about you; you’re brave, confident, and protective of me.”

“But why me?” Sky Stinger asked while removing his hold on Vapor Trail. “Why did you choose me?” The stallion gave a confused look as if he didn’t know what was going on. But Vapor Trail caught his tone; he was arguing with her.

“Because I love you, Sky!” Vapor Trail said in a worried fit. “You are my best friend and you’ve always been the only pony I want with me! Thanks to you, I’ve been able to be more confident in myself in both flying and other things.” She took a few steps forward to test Sky Stinger’s resistance. He didn’t move, which prompted Vapor Trail to place her forehead on his. “I also love making you happy,” she whispered. Sky Stinger took a deep breath after her words were delivered. Vapor Trail’s eyes were so close to her best friend in an attempt to charm Sky Stinger with a stare alone. But she needed to continue her endeavor with more tone and action. “As a friend who… loves you…” Vapor Trail squeaked as her voice cracked, “I like filling you with joy. Nothing satisfies me more than when I give you the strength to press forward.” She poked at the stallion’s ribs and made Sky Stinger flinch. “Like the time last week when you beat the obstacle course’s record.” Vapor Trail winked, “Because I was involved, I know it made you happy to overcome Rainbow Dash’s time.”

“Don’t forget about your hugs,” Sky Stinger smiled. “I really do…” He gave a strong clear of the throat. “...enjoy your… comfort.” In a subtle motion, Vapor Trail pressed her chest against her friend, curious about his heartbeat. It was still pounding hard, perhaps much more than before.

“Sky,” Vapor Trail started, “will you be… my special somepony?”

There it was. The question to either solidify or stagnate any further growth in a friendship. Vapor Trail waited patiently for a response, though the silence was killing her.

“Let me think about it,” Sky Stinger answered.

Author's Note:

Oh boy... I wonder how my readers will react for waiting a week, only to be treated with less than 1k worth of words...