• Published 13th Oct 2016
  • 14,103 Views, 866 Comments

Saving Equestria - Damaged



A young changeling queen—keeping herself hidden while she studies in Canterlot—comes to a conclusion: Celestia is mishandling the defense of ponykind.

  • ...
61
 866
 14,103

A Wedding to Remember - Part 3

"Come on Shining, get it together. All the plans are out the window and Chryssi came up with something new." The stallion inhaled deeply, closed his eyes. Counting to ten in his head he opened his eyes again. "Nope, the place is still crazy."

"What was that dear?" Chrysalis stepped out, wearing Cadance's form as a disguise. "Oh look at you, all ready for when Twilight arrives?" She walked right up and leaned in against Shining, as she had seen Cadance do a thousand and one times.

But Shining had already guessed. "Chryssi, drop the disguise." He waited, and waited. "Well?"

"I am not going to drop it, it is part of the new plan." Chrysalis pouted and drew back from Shining. "Also, Cadance won our bet."

"What bet is that?" Shining was full of questions, but he wanted to know what the two mares had bet on first.

"She bet me that you would find me out almost immediately. How did you do that?" Chrysalis walked over to the bed and flopped on it.

"Cadance walks a little different when she is alone with me. She… she uh… shows off." Shining blushed a little and grabbed his helmet to pull on his head. "I take it the threats were you?"

"Of course, keep Princess Celestia and Princess Luna dancing around, looking outside the city." Chrysalis sprawled on the bed, spreading Cadance's wings out and squirming on her back. "How are you handling the shield spell? Keeping it up okay?"

"Yeah." Shining disliked being outside the "know" for Chrysalis' scheme, but it did make things more exciting. "There are a few other things you will need to know about Twilight, if you are going to fool her."

"No, no I don't want to fool her. Twilight needs to have something to focus on or she will find what I am really planning. Her brother in the hooves of an evil monster is perfect." Chrysalis bounced a little on the bed. "Wow, you really got a great mattress."

"She is going to catch you out so fast it isn't funny." Shining stepped up to the window and watched the plume of smoke slowly drawing into Canterlot train station.

"Nope, there is a secret little trick, and it didn't work with you because there was only you." Chrysalis flopped off the bed and onto the graceful pink legs of Cadance. "Now, let's greet your sister."

Shining looked at the changeling, stared at her. "You have her form down perfect. So how long will the charade last?" He walked past the fake fiancee, reaching for the door with a hoof to save his magic.

"Until Twilight is ready." Chrysalis shook herself off, then used a blast of green fire to restore her form back to pristine neatness. "She is the lynchpin in all this." The queen was suddenly confronted by a very focused Shining Armor.

"Don't hurt her feelings." Shining didn't see Cadance any longer, just the mare he had been friends with since they were both foals. "You know how much Twily means to me, I am betting Equestria on you not hurting her."

"It," Chrysalis paused a second, not wanting to lie to her friend, "may seem like I am hurting her, but I am going to help her see the side of Celestia that we see. She can't do that without a little hurt."

"Then this is all off, Chryssi." Shining turned around and started for the door, finding it closing in his face. "Chryssi!"

"Shining Armor, she needs to see that her teacher has been using her. The longer this goes on the more it will hurt her to see that Princess Celestia is just another pony, one that makes mistakes and can keep making them. While she thinks the Princess is pristine and perfect, she can't be freed." Chrysalis let go of her disguise and parked her plot on the floor. "I won't let her hurt long, I promise."

"You care for her?" Shining turned, hearing an edge in his friend's voice, an edge that spoke of Chrysalis not liking her own plan. She is willing to do anything she can to help Equestria, that includes Twilight. "Okay, but Chryssi?" He waited for her to look in his eyes. "After this is over, I am explaining how you manipulated her, right to her."

"I would love to be friends with Twilight Sparkle." Chrysalis gave a deep sigh. "But having her work with me will have to be enough." She was shocked when a pair of big white forelegs wrapped around her withers. Chrysalis was pulled into a hug with Shining.

"We'll do it together, then. You are too much like Twily not to be friends." Shining squeezed the queen changeling and let her go again. "Let me greet her first, take the brunt of things." He marched for the door. "You come in when you think the time is right."

"Got it." Chrysalis had to fight her tears, she wanted to hug the stallion more, but the plan needed her to act as Cadance would.

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

"Cadance!" Twilight started in on her dance. "Sunshine, sunshine. Ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!"

"What are you doing?" Chrysalis suddenly wished she had asked Shining Armor for help. Twilight and Cadance would have had to have a special greeting.

"Cadance! It's me, Twilight!" Watching the alicorn walk past her, Twilight barely registered the rest of the conversation. Something was really off about her former foalsitter.

Leading the disguised Chrysalis away, Shining got all the way back to his room before he started giggling. "She is going to catch you out so fast." He pointed a hoof at Chrysalis. "She already caught you on the very second thing she did!"

"I can't be too subtle, I want her to suspect me." Chrysalis grumbled and stalked over to the balcony. "There is just one 'wild-card' that I haven't been able to plan for, well not in the basic plans. I have no clue how Princess Luna will respond in all this." She gazed up at the tower that the Princess of the Night slept in.

"Couldn't get a feel for her?" Shining joined his not-fiancee at the doorway.

"Not at all. She seems to be mostly hiding, but I don't know from what." Chrysalis didn't play her role, Shining had seen through her and keeping her ploy up was more effort than she liked. "The main reason I am doing all this during the day is to avoid her. Once her sister is under control, a simple request for her presence should be all it takes."

"You sound nervous." Shining turned and looked at Chrysalis. "If you get that far you will have my backing." He held up a hoof to Chrysalis.

"I appreciate it." Chrysalis clopped his hoof in mid-air. "And I promised Cadance, and you now," Chrysalis grinned, "I will not marry you."

Shining lost his composure and started laughing. He lifted his helmet free and set it on the armor stand in his room. "Nothing personal Chryssi, but I don't want to marry you either…" His laughter drained into a sigh. "This is all so sudden, feels like just a few weeks ago I got promoted, then this."

"You think it's bad for you? I was planning to invade and she organizes this in the middle of it." Chrysalis gave her friend a sideways look. "Let's just do the best we can and if it comes to it I will drop my disguise before she gets those words from me."

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

"Could I speak to you for a moment, dear?" Chrysalis saw the accusations almost boiling out of Twilight, but she kept her eyes focused on Shining.

"I better see what she wants." Shining nudged his sister and tried to buoy her spirits with a smile. Following the changeling—still disguised as his fiancee—into the next room he closed the door; or thought he had.

"I hate every second of it. I had to be really mean to her friends. Shining, I don't know if I can do this." Chrysalis slumped, none of her plans had accounted for her not being able to perform her role, she had no clue how it would turn out if she just dropped her disguise now.

"You are strong." What the buck am I doing? Am I giving her emotional support to help her take over Equestria? Shining braced against his friend. "You can do this, you have all the plans, the army an-" A jolt of pain pulled Shining from the conversation, the strain of keeping the pointless force field taking its toll.

Chrysalis felt a bubble of curiosity coming from the main room. No, it is closer than that, the doorway? She looked from the corner of one eye and saw a crack, and a unicorn peeking through it. Panic rushed her, she wanted to help Shining but… Time to let more slip. Plan ZZ15s. "Oh dear," with a plan chosen, the panic subsided, "are you getting another one of your headaches?"

Shining had a fraction of a second, the pain still paralyzing him, to see Chrysalis' horn energize green. Sudden relaxation flooded him, the world seemed to tint to green as she sank her magic into his head. He let out a whimpering groan, the pain was gone.

"Feeling better?" Chrysalis helped her friend up with a hoof. She could see his eyes were stained green with her magic, and they were a little derpy.

Rubbing the side of his head with a hoof, Shining felt that magic pinging around in his head still. It was amazing stuff, it took away all the pain. "Mmm-hmm." He nodded, regretting the motion immediately. The sound of racing hooves caught his attention. Stepping to the door, Chrysalis at his side, Shining called out, "Twilight!?" Only the mare's tail was visible as she raced from the townhouse. Turning back to Chrysalis, Shining shook his clear head. "What did you do to me?"

"If I were an infiltrator, with barely any grasp on controlling my magic, you would be in a stupor and thinking only happy things." Chrysalis trotted forward to close the door. "But if I ease up on the stupor bit, it just leaves you feeling clear and happy. Great way to show off, too."

"You knew Twilight was watching? And you used your changeling magic?" Shining rubbed the side of his head again, feeling none of the agony of moments ago. "So you are stepping things up?"

"The rehearsal is in the morning, it will be the first time we are all together. It will be her watershed, if I judge Princess Celestia right." Chrysalis leaned sideways against Shining. "Thank you, for going further than you said."

"Hey, you are a friend, Chryssi, I am helping you, not your plan." Shining reached a leg over the mare's back and gave her a squeeze. "So tomorrow you be gentle." He wanted to do more, to tell Chrysalis that she didn't have to do this, that everything would be okay. But he couldn't.

Chrysalis leaned into the hug. "Thank you, Shining Armor. If this world had a lot more stallions like you, I wouldn't need to do this. When it is all handled, you can be the knight you want to be. I will give you an army."

"What would I do with an army?" Shining already knew, however. He had spent some time talking with Chrysalis' drones, getting to know them. "Scratch that, I know. The next Discord, the next Nightmare Moon… do we even know when it will happen?"

"Step one, build the defense. Step two, employ it preemptively to cut problems off." Chrysalis ducked out from under Shining's foreleg. "I'll take the couch again." She smiled to the stallion and made her way to her impromptu bed.

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

Evil. The word echoed around in Chrysalis' head. She wanted to drop her disguise there and then and admit everything. She wanted to tell the cleverest pony she ever knew what was going on and beg her for forgiveness. Tears came first, her cheeks staining with them. Celestia, Twilight's friends, Shining, and the guards looked on. The script came back to Chrysalis, reminding her what to say. "Why are you doing this to me?"

Chrysalis bolted, she ran from the room, leaving everypony behind. Evil! The horrible word echoed in the changeling's head, blocking out anything anypony said. There was something worse, though. She heard the tale-end of the conversation.

"And you can forget about being my best mare." Shining had to keep facing away from Twilight, he wouldn't be able to finish if he saw her ears tuck back, her terror. Chrysalis, you had better be there for her. "In fact, if I were you, I wouldn't show up to the wedding at all." Tears were in his eyes, more than enough to match Chrysalis'. He heard everypony following him, streaming from the room. The last to come was Celestia and her guards.

Chrysalis worked her magic, teleporting back into the room where the ceremony was to be held. Twilight was in tears, laying on the stairs leading up to the dais.

Twilight looked up, her tears staining her cheek and dripping down her snout. "I'm sorry…"

"No, never be sorry Twilight Sparkle." Chrysalis brushed the mare's mane with one hoof. "I know how it feels to be where you are." She lay down on the platform and gazed over Twilight's head. "I studied history, research. I found out about a great evil that would come back to Equestria on the longest night of the thous-"

"Thousandth year…" Twilight's thoughts were hijacked by the research she herself had done. "Nightmare Moon."

"Nightmare Moon. Celestia should have fought her, she could have sent her back to the moon. She wanted her sister back." Chrysalis had the full attention of the unicorn. "I have to admire a mare who would risk an entire world to get her sister back, but would I trust her to run a country?"

Twilight's jaw hung open. "Cadance?"

"And then with Discord. I warned Celestia nearly nine months before he got free. Did she hide his statue? Did she prepare you and your friends for him? She threw me out of the castle." Chrysalis shook her head and lay it on Cadance's beautiful pink forelegs. "I am tired, Twilight. I can't bear to see these things happening to Equestria, and each time you and your friends are thrust forward into the vanguard… not even the vanguard, she pushes you forward without any backup."

Twilight, despite her chewing out by Celestia, felt she had to defend her. "What do you mean? Princess Celestia always-"

"Princess Celestia is just a pony, she makes mistakes. She doesn't see as clearly as you or anypony else believes and worse of all, she thinks she knows what she is doing." Chrysalis took a deep breath and called her fire.

Time seemed to freeze. Twilight watched the mare that used to foalsit for her suddenly burn up, the pink and pony natures fading and leaving a black creature behind. "What… what are you?"

"I am just another pony. I love Equestria, I can't bear to see it be left open to abuse. I love all the ponies in it and, most of all Twilight Sparkle, I made myself a promise." Chrysalis was as nonthreatening as she could be.

"A promise?" Twilight feared what the answer might be. Her world had been shaken, she had so much to think about before the wedding later. "The wedding?"

"Another of Princess Celestia's mistakes. Shining Armor and Cadance love each other, they didn't need to be pushed." Chrysalis started to summon her magic, wrapping fire around Twilight. "My promise, Twilight Sparkle, is to protect Equestria better than anypony else can. Even Celestia."

The green rush of magic flowed over Twilight and she found herself, soon enough, in a crystal-lined cave. She had no idea what was going on, or what would be happening. "Cadance?" She looked at the pink alicorn.

Author's Note:

Note: So it skips around a little, trying to avoid rewriting the WHOLE episode, particularly for things that happen the same/aren't pertinent to the plot.

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

So I do this "Ask x" thing, x can be any pony within the story. You can ask them anything and I they will definitely hopefully reply. Keep the questions appropriate to the age-rating of the stories and of course, I They will answer the best question(s) in the author notes of the next chapter. The more votes a comment has the more likely I will get it to the right pony to answer, try and keep it to one answer per post! I They will pick one question per chapter.

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
Canary in the coal mine
Daremo
Mary Rowland
Boulder
A.P.O.N.I.

And special thanks to the following, for careful eyes and friendly words:
Daremo
Vutava
Boulder