• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 395 Views, 2 Comments

From Ashes to Apples - Eisen



Applejack must survive in an apocalyptic Ponyville, and eventually seek out the truth behind the terrible event.

  • ...
1
 2
 395

Entry 1: A Sign

Year Two, Entry #1

I haven't written in this journal for... land sakes, must have been months now, but in my defense I haven't had much of anything to write about up until now, because today, I saw my first real glimmer of hope since the Black Wave!

Before I get into that, I have some catching up to do, what with the lack of entries and all. Where to begin?

Well, every week I still run down to the town square and scavenge whatever I can. I mentioned towards the end of the old entries that I tried sweeping up the ash from the street as best I could, and at this time, most of the main street is clear! I... found a few more poor souls while I was sweeping up... I carried them over to the Graveyard with the rest. It's not much, especially considering that I can't identify who's who, so I can't make a proper marked grave... but at least it's something.

In lighter news, Carrot Top's garden did finally start putting out some small crops, so that's been supplimenting all the jar food I've been eating for so long. Even better, I added a boiling still right next to the town well, which saves me a lot of hassle in the long run. I Still haven't seen another living pony... And no trains either, and it ain't for lack of looking!


In building matters, I improved the shack over the cellar since I last wrote! I found some pretty solid boards still left intact in the old town hall, and managed to pry them up. Built myself a proper little two-room home I did! One room for sleeping, as before, and a new room that I've been using as a workshop. I even replaced the old hammock with a much sturdier one, using some curtains from the shattered palace. Speaking of that place, still haven't found any dragon bones, or alicorn bones for that matter, so... my hopes for those two live on.

But, I'm rambling. I didn't start writing in here to talk about all that stuff again, heck, the monotony of my writing is why I stopped it a while back. But, today, there's something worth writing about. Today, I saw something in the distance that gives me hope that, at the very least, someone else is out there! Because up in what's left of Canterlot, on the mountain, I saw a light! And not just a random fire either, this was a beautiful blue light! I've been so focused on just keeping myself alive, and restocking the cellar, that I haven't put much thought into... actually leaving. A year ago, the thought was unimaginable; leaving the one place that I had supplies and a good way to clean my mask filter? Never! But... with supplies running lower every day, the gardens putting out so little, and a mask washing technique I learned a few months back... maybe it's finally time that I leave Ponyville.

I just suppose it's hard to move on, but... me staying here and kicking the bucket like everyone else won't help Equestria in the slightest. So, maybe, just maybe, I can get together enough stuff for a proper journey.
I'll take this journal with me if I do, at least I'll have something more substantial to write about than just weekly scavenging! I imagine that entries after today will be a bit longer as well, given that this time was just a bit of a catch-up session.

I've had a lot of questions for a long time... if Granny, Big Mac and Apple Bloom made it... if any towns survived... what caused the storm... a good long journey may finally put my wonders to rest.