• Published 10th Oct 2016
  • 3,308 Views, 1,000 Comments

A New Dragon in the Crystal Empire - Vedues



Ponies and dragons are living together in peace now. You know, other than the army of dragons trying to conquer the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
16
 1,000
 3,308

Chapter 40

Talon had spent all her life listening to stories of heroic battles. Over the years, she had noticed one thing, they always ended in death. Sometimes it was the hero, bravely sacrificing himself for others. Sometimes it was the villain, being overcome once and for all by the hero. What those stories never told, though, was what it was like to wake up exhausted, wounded, and half frozen, lying among the bodies of her allies.

The stories sometimes described daring adventures to reclaim the body of a fallen hero, but never a day-long slog of gathering frozen corpses out of the snow. They certainly never told her what it would be like to sit up all night, looking at her squadron and reflecting how much smaller it was than just the day before.

Most of all, the stories had never prepared Talon to lead funeral rites for those that had died under her command. It was something that Talon had grown terribly familiar with during her time as a squadron leader, but things were different today. An air of hopelessness had settled on the entire Alliance with Yol Toor’s capture. Without their most powerful champion, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before they were crushed beneath Equestria’s hoof.

Talon let her gaze sweep over each member of her squad, dragons who had trusted her with their lives time and time again. Then, she turned around to look at two still forms, laid out on the snow. “Junior Wing Mist Jumper, Junior Wing Mossy Fields, we release you from your service in Squad Four, and thank you for your sacrifice.” She motioned, and the Wind team and Tornado and Ember stepped forward.

The team of wind wyverns concentrated their power, lifting the bodies of their comrades on pillars of wind.

Taking the place of fire wyverns, Tornado and Ember breathed out large streams of fire. The heat of dragon fire quickly reduced both venom wyverns to ashes.

Talon took a deep breath to steady herself. This never got easier. She didn’t want it to; it would mean that she had grown numb to death. “We commend you to the Storm, honored Ancestors.”

Sky and the other winds brought the pillars of air together. Tiny flecks of carbon, all that remained of the two, mixed freely in the reverently controlled wind.

“May you always watch over those of us that live on,” Talon continued with some difficulty, “and may our lives be worthy of your guidance and strength, until we too rejoin the Storm.” She nodded to the wind wyverns and then watched the tornado of ashes rise into the sky until it became a tiny black dot.

Scattered across the sky were countless other tornadoes, bearing the remains of warriors in other clusters and squadrons. Many of them were already beginning to disperse, letting the high winds bear the ashes off to parts unknown.

“Goodbye,” Talon whispered. Though she had never been close to those two, they had been in Squad Four since the very beginning.

Tornado approached her timidly. His normally beautiful brown eyes were red and puffy. “I am so sorry that I failed to protect them.” His head sank, and fresh tears began to course down his cheeks.

Talon took a moment to get herself back under control. Since hearing about Yol Toor, Tornado had barely spoken, and he hadn’t eaten at all. “Tornado, I need you to listen to me.” She gently lifted his head with one wing and pressed her forehead against his. “Refraction, the greatest wyvern hero in our history, was killed in a minor skirmish by a stray bolt that wasn’t even aimed at him. He wasn’t perfect or all-powerful. In fact, he admitted that he was afraid to die. But that never stopped him from doing his best right up until the end.”

A shudder coursed through Tornado.

Both of Talon’s wings wrapped around his head and hers, closing them off to the outside world. She wanted to say that everything would be fine, or that Yol Toor would come back safely, or … something, but the words died on her lips. She just held him as he cried away one more bit of his child-like optimism.

Half of the Alliance was calling for a massive offensive to rescue Yol Toor, but the Council would never approve of it until they were sure where he was being held. The Crystal Empire was the most likely place, but Canterlot was possible as well, or one of the dozens of military bases across Equestria. There just wasn’t anything they could do until Chrysalis got back to them.

Eventually, a clawed hand gripped Talon’s shoulder. “We should go,” Heart said quietly. “There’s still another funeral to attend.”

Talon nodded and reluctantly let Tornado go.

They landed at the bottom of the canyon and Talon led the rest of Squad Four down a large tunnel that wound its way deep into the earth. Glowstones lit the rocky path at first, but soon glowing mushrooms began to appear, casting everything in an eerie blue light.

At the end of the tunnel was a cavern that was at least three drakes long in any direction. The ground changed from rock to dirt as soon as they entered, and Talon could make out rows of tiny green plants stretching the entire length of the floor. It was a farm that some of the wyrms had set up, but today it was serving a far more depressing function.

Lying there in the dirt of an unplanted section was Rune Field. The wyrm dragoness’s orange scales looked pale, thanks to the bluish light of the mushrooms that dotted the cavern, and even though her expression was peaceful, nothing could hide the damage to her neck and head, a grisly testament of the fall that killed her.

It was strange, but Talon hoped that the pegasus dive bomb had actually killed Rune when it knocked her off of Ember’s back. She didn’t want to imagine her kind and quirky friend being forced to stare at the upcoming ground with no way to save herself.

At least a dozen other wyrms, the newcomers from the Mystic Forest Coven, were already standing a short distance from the body.

There was no script to follow here. Each dragon was to speak from the heart, say whatever they felt was appropriate, and then stand by and wait for the others to do the same.

Talon approached first, and the rest of Squad Four formed a line behind her. She knelt next to the body and stared at it for a moment, trying to find the right words. “Rune, I …” she swallowed a lump in her throat. “I’m so sorry that this happened to you. You were a researcher, but you followed me into danger without question.” She blinked aside a tear. “Sorry. I don’t know why this is so hard. Maybe it’s because wyverns die all the time. It’s just … what we do.” A burning feeling coursed its way up her throat, erupting into something that was half laugh and half sob.

“Wyrms though,” she said quietly, “you’re weird, silly, amazing creatures, and it just doesn’t seem fair that you had to lose your life in this stupid war. I mean, you volunteered for it just to help us.”

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I’ll keep an eye on Genesis for you. The Hurricanes are making us an elite squad, which is going to help with that. They want us to stay next to them in battle from now on so that they can keep an eye on us.” Another sad laugh escaped her lips. “Would it really have killed them to do that one battle earlier?”

She wiped away more tears. “I hope your husband’s there, wherever you are. I hope … I hope I’ll get to see you again, when it’s my turn to go.” Talon leaned closer and whispered, “Until then, thank you, for everything.” Then she stood up and joined the other wyrms in their silent vigil.

One by one, the rest of the Squad paid their respects. The onlookers were far enough away that they couldn’t hear what was being said, letting them say their last goodbye in relative privacy.

Eventually they reached the final dragon in line, Genesis. The brown and green wyrm threw his arms around Rune’s still form, hugging it tightly as he sobbed.

Talon had to look away from the spectacle, tears flowing down her cheeks as she did so.

Warfare. Death. They were just facts of life to a wyvern.

What is wrong with us that we treat something like this as normal? Talon had been to countless funerals. She had the speech memorized long before she was expected to give it on behalf of her fallen underlings. Yet in all that time, she had never even thought about a life without war. Is that why the Hurricanes had accepted war against Equestria so easily? Would they not know what to do with their lives if there wasn’t an enemy to kill?

Talon shook her head. No, this can’t be the way things are anymore. She looked back at Rune’s body and solemnly promised herself that she’d contact Equestria somehow and beg them for peace under any terms that kept everydragon alive. The Hurricanes would kill her if they found out she was going behind their backs, but they’d kill the entire Alliance if something didn’t stop them first.

Eventually, Genesis calmed down enough to whisper a last farewell. He stood back up slowly, and motioned for the other wyrms to come forward. Even Heart joined them. They formed a circle around Rune’s body and closed their eyes.

There was a flicker, and suddenly Rune was gone, replaced by a wyrm-shaped pile of dirt. It was rich and brown, perfect for growing crops, but the thought of eating anything grown in it made Talon feel sick.

The wyrms seemed to have no such concerns. They retrieved some shovels that were leaning against the cavern wall and mixed the dirt into the ground. Once they were done, they started back toward the exit, pausing only long enough to return their shovels to the tool rack.

“I guess that’s everything,” Talon said quietly. Then, loudly enough for the rest of the Squad to hear, she said, “Thank you for coming, everydragon. You are dismissed until individual training after lunch.”

As the rest of the group dispersed, Talon made her way to where Genesis still stood, looking at the ground. Heart was already at his side, with one arm around his shoulders, and Clodhopper was reflecting the gesture on his other side. Talon wrapped her wings around all three of the smaller dragons. There didn’t seem to be anything left to say.

Crystal joined them moments later, followed by Ember. Even Tornado joined in, silently curling around them all.

From the center of the little cluster, Genesis said, “Rune helped me through Rain’s death,” his voice caught, “but … I didn’t think there would be anydragon around to help me though this … I’m glad I was wrong.” He leaned against Talon’s wing. “Thank you, everydragon. Thank you.”

Heart carefully untangled the arm that had been wrapped around his shoulders and then brought it up to his cheek. “Rest now. We’ll be here when you wake up.”

Genesis’s eyes closed, and he slumped forward.

“I’ve got him,” Heart said. The group hug broke off, and she hoisted the unconscious wyrm into her arms. “That sleeping spell will keep him from waking up for at least an hour, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he slept clear through until tomorrow morning.” She stared at Genesis for a moment. “Whoever Rain was, she meant a lot to him.”

“She was his wife,” Clodhopper said quietly.

Talon didn’t even know that Genesis had been married. She felt a little ashamed that she hadn’t known something so important about one of her squad-mates.

Heart, however, just nodded. “Would somedragon mind giving me a ride back to the nest?”

“I will,” Ember said.

“I’d better get back to IHQ,” Talon said. She had a letter to send.

Tornado pulled himself up and stood next to her.

Crystal nodded. “I’ll join you, but,” she turned to Clodhopper, “do you need a ride to the lab first?”

“I’ll be fine,” he assured her.

With everything settled, the group made their way back to the tunnel, and from there, out into the canyon once more.

They had barely emerged when a tremendously loud voice shook the area. “Members of the Dragon Alliance, you may choose to not to believe this, but I am sorry for your losses.”

Talon froze. She recognized that voice, but she couldn’t imagine what Celestia would be doing here. At least, she couldn’t imagine any scenario that didn’t include a surprise attack. “Back to the tunnel!”

“However,” Luna’s voice joined in, and her tone was far more menacing, “each time that we offer you mercy, thousands of the ponies who look to us for protection and guidance pay for it with their lives. No longer!”

Talon didn’t have to encourage them to run faster.

Something exploded behind them. Even though she was looking away, the light was so brilliant that it left spots in Talon’s vision. Two more explosions followed in quick succession.

“Consider this warning shot a gesture of gratitude for warning the citizens of the Crystal Empire before you attacked them,” Celestia’s voice boomed.

“Sometime in the next three days,” Luna continued, “we will return and destroy a part of this canyon, as well as any dragons who are caught in the blast. Then, sometime in the three days after that, we will do it again, and then again, and again until either the Alliance surrenders or there are none of you left to harm our subjects.” The conviction in her voice left no doubt that she was serious.

Talon pulled the group to a halt and waited.

There were no more explosions, and no more of that incredibly loud speech. In fact, things were almost eerily silent.

Crystal choked back a sob. “They’re going to kill us all, aren’t they?”

“I …” Talon shook her head. “I don’t know.”

-_-_-_-_-_-

Spirit wasn’t having a good day, or month, or year, for that matter. He paused and thought back. The peace talks were in late October, and it was early April … Wow, they’d had nearly six months of this insanity. Spirit shook off that thought and focused back on the matter at hoof. It was almost noon, and Autumn had been missing since before breakfast.

No one around the barracks had seen her, and she wasn’t at her mother’s house. Spirit didn’t want to be paranoid, but there was always the chance that an Alliance spy had grabbed her.

Now Spirit was out wandering around the nearest business district. Unfortunately, none of the shoppers or shop owners had seen her.

“Okay, thanks anyway,” Spirit told the owner of a small jewelry stand. The stand was at the edge of a large plaza, so he’d hoped that the mare running it had seen something. Maybe he should look into some kind of tracking spell, in case this ever happened again.

Spirit hated to admit it, but he hadn’t seen or talked to his marefriend since the battle. The immediate aftermath had left Autumn nearly dead from Yol Toor’s aura blast, and Spirit so drained that it took two of his suit’s batteries just to bring his magic field back up to normal levels.

He bit on the inside of his cheek as he remembered that he and Autumn had been lucky. Nine members of the Everfree Platoon lost their lives in that blast.

Even so, there had been thousands of Equestrian soldiers that needed healing. Spirit remembered doing the best he could but passing out from exhaustion sometime after sunrise.

When he woke up again, around sunset, there had still been soldiers in urgent need of healing, and Autumn hadn’t yet regained consciousness. This time, Spirit had actually been awake when they finished with the last of the critical cases, but gladly passed out as soon as he could.

That pretty much led him up until now. Autumn had been gone when he woke up, and Spirit had been trying to find her ever since.

A crystal guard saw Spirit from across the plaza and ran toward him. “Excuse me, Prince Spirit?” Nervousness reflected in his coat and his expression.

A guard running up to an authority figure, apparently to tell him something important. Yeah, no way this was good news. Spirit fought down a groan. “What is it?”

“I was told that you are looking for Lady Autumn Gem, is that correct?”

Spirit grabbed the pony by his shoulders. “Do you know where she is? Is she hurt or something?”

The guard pulled back but otherwise kept his composure. “She is safe, sir. I can escort you to her.”

“Sorry.” Grinning sheepishly, Spirit gestured for the guard to lead on.

He simply nodded and set off at a fast walking speed.

As soon as they were clear of the plaza, Spirit asked, “How did you know that I was looking for Autumn? For that matter, why do you know where she is?”

“Lieutenant Valiant mobilized a platoon of soldiers when he heard that a foreign dignitary had gone missing,” the guard replied. “We were also instructed to take you to her in the event that she was found unharmed.”

Spirit wasn’t exactly sure what to make of that. Valiant hadn’t been at Verre’s house when he stopped by there, so either she told her ex-husband about it afterwards or he had learned about it through some other means. Either way, he had taken steps to help. “I … guess I should thank Valiant the next time I see him.”

There was no reply from the crystal guard, and so they continued in silence.

After about ten minutes, they came to a place that Spirit had definitely not expected. It was a small building between two larger ones, with a sign that simply read, ‘Honey’s Bar.’

“Oh boy,” Spirit muttered. He should have expected this. Autumn only woke up this morning, which meant that she had just learned about Everfree’s casualties. Where else would she be after getting news like that? He turned to the guard. “Thanks for bringing me here. I’ll handle the rest on my own.”

The guard nodded. “I will remain here if you need me.”

Inside was a surprisingly nice bar. There were none of the stereotypical overturned stools, suspicious ponies hidden in dark corners, or spilled drinks. It wasn’t even dark. Instead, it looked like a friendly little restaurant that happened to include a bar and a pool table.

Sitting at the bar was Autumn, without the suit of Everfree Armor that had almost become a second skin to them all over the past few months. Her coat had reverted to a muted gray-blue color, and her mane and tail both hung low without the metal bands she usually wore. A half-finished mug of beer sat on the bar in front of her.

The middle-aged yellow mare behind the counter gave a cheerful smile when she saw Spirit. “What can I get for you?”

“Just a beer.” He pulled up a seat next to Autumn. “You had me worried when you left without talking to anyone.”

“I needed to be alone,” Autumn whispered back. She took a long drink from her mug, nearly emptying it. “I apologize for worrying you.”

“I’m just glad you’re safe.” Spirit grasped Autumn’s closest hoof with his hand. “I nearly lost you the other night. I guess that made me a little paranoid.”

Autumn let out a sigh and finished the last of her drink. “Honeysuckle, another beer, please.”

“Of course.” The yellow mare passed Spirit a full mug and began filling one for Autumn. After they had both been served, she gave them a knowing look and said, “I’ll be in the back. Call if you need me for anything.”

Spirit smiled gratefully. “Thanks.”

Once they were alone, Autumn lowered her head until it hit the bar, her fresh mug of beer still clutched in one hoof. “Spirit, nine of our friends are dead.”

“I know.” Spirit squeezed her other hoof. “There’s nothing we could have done.”

“We could have stayed hidden,” Autumn said. “I cast the deciding vote between you and Twilight. If I hadn’t tried to get us involved in a battle that was clearly out of our league …” She trailed off as tears started to appear in her eyes.

“I voted to attack too,” Spirit reminded her. “One of my mothers was out there fighting. I couldn’t sit by and do nothing.”

“So we made a mistake, and our friends died because of it.” Autumn sat up enough to take a long drink of her beer. “What are we going to tell their families, Spirit?” A sob rocked her. “How can we ever face them again?” Tears began to roll down her cheeks.

Spirit pulled her against his chest and let her cry.

Minutes ticked past, and Autumn’s sobs slowly quieted.

“I talked with Celestia while we were healing the wounded last night,” Spirit whispered. “Would you believe that she’s blaming herself for those deaths too?” He took a sip of his beer. It wasn’t the best he’d ever had, but it was far from terrible. “Apparently she keeps a running tally of every intelligent creature that has died in a war under her command. She’s up to eight hundred and thirty thousand, something or other.” Another sip. “After a thousand years of thinking about it, she came to the conclusion that all she can do is remember those sacrifices, and try to make them mean something.”

Autumn nodded against the chestplate of his armor. “Cliff is also blaming himself for what happened. I visited their graves this morning, and he was crying next to the one for Steel Claw. He said that if he had gotten away from Yol Toor more quickly, or if he had done a better job creating the Shadow-form enchantment, then his old friend would not have died.”

Spirit hugged Autumn more tightly. He hadn’t spent much time with Steel Claw, but he knew that the older wyrm came from the same coven where Cliff grew up, and that he had even been a sort of mentor to Cliff from time to time over the years. “What did you tell him?”

“I told him …” Autumn sighed. “I told him that he did his best, and not to blame himself for things beyond his control.” She sniffled a little. “What did you tell Celestia?”

“That she needed to stop beating herself up for not being perfect.” Spirit squeezed Autumn’s shoulders again. “Not even she can keep every last soldier safe.”

Autumn leaned into Spirit more heavily. Her coat slowly brightening from despairing to simply very tired. “Do you know why soldiers have been keeping an eye on this building? One of them led you here, right?”

“Yeah, they were out looking for you.” Spirit drained his mug down to about the halfway point. Honestly, he was a little worried about his alicorn mother. Their conversation the other day had inspired a look in her eyes that he wasn’t entirely comfortable with.

“You didn’t have to mobilize troops to find me.” Autumn chuckled weakly. “I would have returned as soon as I was finished drowning my sorrows.”

“It wasn’t me.” Spirit paused as he realized what her next question was going to be. Crap.

“Who was it?”

Crap! He took a long drink of his beer, emptying the mug completely as he tried to think about what to say.

“Spirit?” Autumn sat up enough to look him in the eyes. “What’s-” She cut off abruptly as anger overtook her features. “It was him, wasn’t it?”

Spirit sighed. “Yes.”

“I can’t believe that he’s still trying to act like my father after what he did!” Every time Valiant had come up in the past week, Autumn had launched into a tirade about how much she hated the stallion.

Before she could really get going, Spirit called, “Honeysuckle, could we get a refill on our drinks?” Maybe it was selfishness on Spirit’s part, but he didn’t enjoy having his marefriend yell at him for an hour or two, even if it was about somepony else.

This particular rant wasn’t quite as eloquent as normal, probably a side-effect of the beer, but she made up for quality with quantity. Honeysuckle refilled their drinks, then handled the lunch rush, then refilled their drinks again, then brought them a large plate of miniature sandwiches, then refilled their drinks again, and was getting ready for the dinner rush when Autumn finally ran out of steam and passed out.

“Sorry about this,” Spirit said as he gathered his sleeping marefriend in his arms. “I hope she didn’t disturb your other customers too much.”

Honeysuckle shook her head. “My husband and I used to be part of Autumn’s group of rebels. He died fighting Valiant’s soldiers on the night that Autumn and I were captured.” She gathered the mugs and the plate that had held their sandwiches. “I agree with everything Autumn said, and more.”

Spirit froze. “I … I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about.” The yellow mare gestured at Autumn. “Just get her home and let her rest.”

“I will,” Spirit promised. “How much does our bill come to?”

“It’s on the house.” Honeysuckle gave him a look that was equal parts sad and sympathetic. “I know it’s hard, but venting like this is helping her a lot.”

Spirit looked down at the mare in his arms, then back at Honeysuckle. “I hope so, and thanks.”

-_-_-_-_-_-

When Spirit got back to the barracks for Everfree, he was surprised to find Celestia standing in front of them, wearing her battle gear, and seemingly lost in thought.

“Is something wrong?” Spirit asked as he approached.

Celestia jumped a little. “Oh, Spirit. I’m sorry, I was just thinking.” Worry crossed her face. “Is Autumn injured?”

“No, she had a bit too much to drink.” Spirit had neutralized the alcohol in her system on the way back. “Anyway, what bring you here? I thought you’d be in Canterlot by now.”

“Luna and I had to deliver a message to the Alliance first,” Celestia said calmly. “Then Luna asked that I come along for emotional support while she asks a stallion out.”

Spirit’s jaw dropped. “What?”

“Luna is asking a stallion out.” Celestia gave him an amused grin. “You didn’t think she was interested in mares, did you?”

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it.” Spirit shifted Autumn’s weight a little. “You and Luna went to the Alliance?”

“We were careful,” Celestia assured him. “Shining Armor can give you the details.” She leaned closer and whispered, “However, your concern is touching.”

“Well, you are one of my mothers.”

Two white wings engulfed both Spirit and Autumn and pulled them into a hug with Celestia. “I’ll never get tired of hearing you call me that.” She nuzzled the top of his head.

Since his arms were occupied, Spirit had to content himself with leaning into the hug. “Just don’t do anything reckless without telling us, okay?”

There was the sound of a door opening, followed immediately by Luna shouting, “He agreed!”

“I’ll do whatever it takes to protect my subjects,” Celestia whispered before looking up and retracting her wings. “That’s wonderful to hear, Luna! Although perhaps you should leave your armor behind the next time you ask someone out.”

Now that Spirit was free, he saw that Luna was indeed wearing her armor, including her helmet.

Luna put a hoof to her chest. “I merely wanted to remind him that he should obey the orders of this army’s commanding officer.”

Celestia arched an eyebrow at that.

“So you ordered some pony into a date with you,” Spirit surmised.

“In a manner of speaking. I ordered him to accompany me while I dream walk tonight.” Luna grinned. “But he still said yes.” Her grin faded as she looked at Autumn. “Is your concubine ill?”

Spirit made a face. “She’s not my concubine!”

“Actually,” Celestia said gently, “she is. Concubine means the pony you live with and have sexual relations with, but aren’t married to.” Then to Luna she said, “Autumn is fine, but that term has taken on a more negative connotation over the years. It would probably be best if you avoided using it.”

Celestia knows that I’m having sex too, Spirit realized before abruptly moving to the door of the barracks. “Well, it was nice to see you both, but I’ve got some things to do. Take care!” Unfortunately, a golden aura covered the door before he could reach it.

“Spirit,” Celestia said, “you’re allowed to have different thoughts and opinions than I do. It doesn’t make me love you any less.” She released her hold on the door. “I hope you both have a good day.”

Spirit managed a sheepish smile. “Thanks, Mom. You too.”

The inside of the barracks was nearly full, not surprisingly. Most of the Platoon usually relaxed in here right before dinner. What Spirit wasn’t expecting, though, was that most of the platoon members weren’t even looking at the door when he entered. Instead, their gazes were drawn to a very shocked-looking Big Mac, who was sitting with the rest of his team, minus Cliff.

“Uh …” Fire Eyes finally broke the silence. “Did Luna really just say that, or am I hallucinating?”

“She said it alright,” Dash said, blushing slightly.

Blueblood shook his head. “I just doesn’t make sense.” He turned to Big Mac. “Why would Princess Luna order you to sleep with her?”

Spirit nearly dropped his marefriend.

Big Mac shrugged helplessly. “Dunno.”

“Actually-” Spirit started to say, before Blueblood cut him off.

“Whatever the case, we need to get you ready.” Blueblood grabbed onto the larger stallion with his magic and started dragging him toward the door. “I know an excellent spa that will make you presentable before royalty.”

On second thought, he’d let them figure it out on their own. Spirit wordlessly stepped aside and let them pass. It was all he could do to hide a smirk.

-_-_-_-_-_-

Big Mac had never been to a spa before in his life, and he would be just as happy if he never went to one again. By the time they finished scrubbing his coat and detangling his mane and tail, he felt like somepony had rubbed his entire body down with sandpaper.

At least the clothing store only required him to stand still for an hour or so. Of course, that gave him plenty of time to worry about how he would explain this to Granny.

It was past sundown by the time they finished, but Big Mac was grateful for that when he discovered that their next stop was an adult novelty store. He didn’t think that these even existed in Everfree or Ponyville. Also, Blueblood recognized most of the things in this store. That raised questions that Mac was fairly sure he didn’t want answered.

At least Blueblood had paid for everything, and provided several hours of slightly nauseating instructions so that Big Mac would be able to accommodate Luna’s ‘preferences,’ no matter how bizarre.

As the product of good old-fashioned Apple-family values, Big Mac had never heard of most of the things that Blueblood described, and he was starting to think that he’d rather get thrown in the dungeon than go through with half of them.

Eventually midnight came, and Big Mac made his way to Luna’s room in the lower floors of the Crystal Bunker. The halls were almost completely empty, and the echoing of his hoofsteps on the crystalline floor only reinforced the feeling of isolation.

Big Mac thought about stopping by Cliff’s lab. That dragon had barely left his lab since the battle. He couldn’t stop this war on his own, and he needed to stop trying before he burned himself out completely. It was like dealing with AJ all over again.

Unfortunately, Princess Luna had been very specific about when she expected to meet up with him, so Big Mac continued on his way.

He found a couple of bat pony guards in front of Luna’s room, but they didn’t stop him. They didn’t even blink an eye at the tuxedo-clad stallion, carrying a box of frankly terrifying objects, as he walked up to the door and knocked.

Luna appeared moments later, without any of the regalia that he was used to seeing her in, and yawning widely. “Whatever it is, speak quickly. I have a date to …” She trailed off as her eyes fell on him. “Big McIntosh Apple, what has brought you here, and why are you dressed so?”

Big Mac stared back at her. “… Sleep?” Maybe she forgot or changed her mind. He could live with either.

Understanding lit up Luna’s expression. “Ah, so you came to see me? How very thoughtful!” She leaned over to one of her guards and said, “Fetch a cot and a sleeping roll.” Then she returned her attention to Big Mac. “Come in. I had intended for everything to be done at the barracks, but it will be easier to instruct you here.”

She wanted to do it at the barracks? It was all Mac could do to follow her quietly rather than run screaming in the other direction.

The inside of Luna’s room was a lot more spartan than he had expected. The crystals that made up the walls and floor were the same light blue as the rest of the Crystal Bunker, and there were no windows or personal effects other than a trunk with her cutie mark on it. The only two hints that this wasn’t a normal pony’s room were the princess-size bed and a collection of glowing dots on the ceiling. Big Mac kept his focus on the dots, mostly so his gaze wouldn’t linger on the bed. They seemed to be organized in the same pattern as the stars in the night sky, with a large one for the moon. They also seemed to be the only lights in the room, casting everything in weak silvery light.

Luna fidgeted nervously next to Big Mac, which confused him to no end. “There was no need to dress up, nor to bring me a gift. In truth, this was my way of thanking you for protecting me during the recent battle.”

That only raised more questions. Why did Luna think that a stallion would want to be thanked with … never mind. Big Mac knew at least a dozen other stallions, and even some wyrms and mares, that would do anything to be in his horseshoes right now. Maybe he could get out of it if this was meant to be a reward of sorts. Sure, Luna was probably the most beautiful mare that he had ever seen, but Granny Smith had raised him better than that. He cleared his throat. “Don’t thank me.”

Unfortunately, his lengthy speech had the opposite effect from what he’d intended. The Princess smiled warmly before lying on the bed and rolling around to face him, resting on her stomach. “Selfless and humble, I like thee.”

Big Mac knew about bedroom eyes, but this was his first time seeing them in an actual bedroom. He mentally facehoofed.

“Now what gift has thou brought?” Grinning, Luna lifted the box off of his back with her magic. The light from her horn stood out strongly in the dimness of the room.

“From Blueblood,” Mac said quickly. Celestia only knew what night of horrors would await him if she thought that he wanted to use any of those things.

Luna’s smile faded a bit. “Truly? I have spent very little time with my nephew, but I was led to believe that he was quite the cad. Perhaps membership in the Everfree Platoon has changed him for the better.” She undid the ornate bow and opened the box. Her expression immediately changed to one of shock, followed by disgust. “Or perhaps not. I have seen more than enough erotic dreams to know what these were intended for.” She levitated out a bridle and a pair of hoofcuffs.

Big Mac looked away. It was a good thing that his coat was so red. It made it nearly impossible to see when he was blushing.

“I should speak with Blueblood about making indecent suggestions to a princess.” She made a gagging noise and tossed the box to the far side of the room. “What did he believe that we would be doing tonight?”

Big Mac shrugged. He risked a glance back at Luna. Surprisingly, she was blushing a little as well.

Luna shook her head, making her mane flow back and forth behind her. “Now then, what is thy most cherished dream?”

That was easy. “Mah family.”

“A most respectable dream,” Luna said approvingly. “Dost,” she cleared her throat, “do you wish to speak with them again?”

He looked up at the pseudo night sky. It was the beginning of April. Sweet Apple Acres specialized in apples, but they grew plenty of other crops as well. AJ and AB had already planted the broccoli and cauliflower. Soon they would be getting started on the carrots and cabbage. By the end of the month, corn and pumpkins would be added to their workload too, and the odds were good that he wouldn’t be there for any of it. Some villagers were lending a helping hoof or claw, but the simple fact was that his family was struggling without him.

The stallion lowered his gaze to Luna and shook his head. Talking was good, but that’s what letters were for. “Ah wanna help with their farm work.”

Luna paused, and then tapped a hoof to her chin. “Thy- Your desire is admirable. I had planned on taking you dream walking to see your family, but …” A smile graced her features.

Relief flooded through Big Mac. Her order had been to go dream walking with her, and not … something that would lead to Granny Smith tanning his backside.

The trunk against the wall opened, and a piece of parchment and a quill floated out.

Luna pulled them both to her and began to write. “Officially, I should not leave the Empire. This enchantment will allow my guards to contact me in the event of an emergency, but it would still be best if no one were to see us.”

Mac nodded his agreement to her terms.

With a wave of her horn, Luna opened the door and called, “Guards, you may forego the cot. We are not to be disturbed unless absolutely necessary.” Then she set the paper down on the bed and stood up to join Big Mac, smiling mischievously. “Now then, shall we perform an anonymous act of service to a certain apple farm?” She held out her hoof to him.

He took the offered hoof, and for the first time since he arrived at this room, Big Mac smiled. He even had to fight down a few tears. “Eeyup.”