• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 385 Views, 4 Comments

How To Live Amongst Ponies - SomeRetroGeek



You wouldn't expect a Changeling to own a journal, let alone a guide on how to live amongst ponies.

  • ...
 4
 385

Introduction

Hello there,

You're reading this wondering 'A Changeling wrote a guide on how to blend in with ponies? That's so easy for us/them! We/they look at you/them, blink, and the next thing you/we know, the things/us either look like a normal pony, or look exactly like you/them! Why would we/a Changeling need a guide, and why bother writing one?'

Well, the simple fact is, it isn't easy blending in with society. It takes time. Changelings have to learn how to change themselves by training, precision with how they choose an appearance and some serious courage to live among other ponies without stealing their love and devouring it for food. And what's more, I like writing. I've just never known what to write about, and I haven't had the motivation or time to do it. I wanted to do something different. I wanted to write something unique, something creative. Something that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been done before. When I blended in and went inside of a library recently, the only books about Changelings were how to kill one or how to spot one. Hundreds and hundreds of those kinds of books by different authors with different covers and slightly altered words. Nothing creative, nothing original. Nothing from a Changeling's point of view, no advice they could give to their own kind.

And that's how this came about.

I went into a stationary store in a little town called...Ponyville, I think it was, and brought myself a journal to write in. Initially I intended to use it for my own personal experience, to grow as a writer, y'know. Note down ideas, write about my daily experiences, be creative with them and adapt them into something new. Then I remembered the library, how frustrated I was by the same old similar books with very little differences. What would a Changeling like me want to read, I thought. Would they appreciate the art of literature that ponies have like I do, or would they shun me for becoming interested and involved in their activities? I still don't know how my tribe will take to the whole book-writing thing, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I want to know. But I consider this a further educational lesson for you, weather you are a Changeling or not. This book should teach you the fundamental basics, as well as advanced possibilities, of how to live amongst ponies.

Author's Note:

This has been an idea on my mind for quite some time, and like the Changeling describing his experience and passing on his learning to you, I haven't had the motivation or time to write it. It felt unique and a creative concept, but I finally decided to give it a go. Hopefully you'll all enjoy it.