• Published 30th Sep 2016
  • 859 Views, 22 Comments

The Quickverse Chronicles - Quick Fix



Everypony has several stories to tell, of their own and with the wider world. These are just some of them.

  • ...
2
 22
 859

Shadows of the Mind (Sunset Shimmer)

Author's Note:

Perhaps put this in a bit late, but this does contain major spoilers for Unrelenting Conviction.

Part 2 of the Sunset arc. < Previous / Next >

Canterlot Castle
May 11th, Year 6 under the Four Princesses


Equestria lay bathed in the glow of the evening sun, another day beginning to draw to a close. For many ponies, the day had been the same as any other. No matter if they were a simple farmer from the grasslands or a noble within the heart of Canterlot, they had risen, played their parts in the way of the world and were preparing to rest again. In stark comparison, this time of day was when the castle that sat at the heart of the capital was at its peak of activity.


This was the time of day when Princess Celestia began her ritual process of lowering the sun to make way for her sister's light. As such, it was also normally the time that Princess Luna rose to assume her duties, both as Princess of the Night and Supreme Commander of the Equestria Defence Force. The castle was filled with guards, assistants, chefs, gardeners and other such ponies ready and willing to serve. Them, and the one guest the castle currently housed. A filly by the name of Sunset Shimmer, Princess Celestia's personal pupil.


She had held the position for a little under five years now, learning everything she could about the infinite mysteries of magic and applying it to her own abilities. Her days were filled with study and practice, her mind sharp and driven by a desire to be recognised for her talents. Her current appearance did mitigate the drive slightly, her body currently in the somewhat awkward stage between a short, stocky child and a tall, lanky teenager. It was something almost everypony went through around the age of ten, like she was now, but it still made it a little harder to be taken seriously. That merely drove her harder though, the princess had once said that she had the potential to be the Twilight Sparkle of her generation and she wanted to meet...No, to exceed that expectation.


Sunset's eyes narrowed as she kept reading through the book laid before her, settled at a table within the castle archives. It had been a chance discovery during her daily perusing of the archives, a book detailing projection magic. From what she could understand it was a base version of the spell Princess Luna used to aid ponies in their dreams. All her free time in the past month had been spent studying the book, slowly learning the spells contained with in and hoping for the moment she could display what she had gained to her teacher. Once the princess returned from lowering the sun for the day, she could try then. Then she would succeed in showing she could try higher level spells. All that was needed now was-


"Sunset Shimmer? It's time to head home."


Sunset jumped as the words came at the same time she felt a gentle hoof on her left shoulder. She shut the book quickly and looked round to see a light gray unicorn mare with a kind, weathered look, a black mane tied into a bun and orange eyes that had a gentle edge to them.


"Oh, already?" Sunset looked up at the clock above her in surprise, seeing it was already half past five. "Thank you. Let me just put this away, miss Singa."


With her surprise gone, her manners had returned and Sunset made sure to give her thanks to Singularity after taking the book back to its shelf. The elderly mare had been assigned as her caretaker for any times Celestia couldn't be with her and the two had formed a quick friendship due to her caring nature and ability to follow the filly's discussions about magic. She also walked Sunset between her home and the castle every day so the two had had plenty of time to learn from each other. As soon as her book was returned she fell into place beside Singularity and followed her out into the castle hallways. A number of Royal Guards were present outside, more than usual as they were transferring a sizeable crate from a nearby room with a reinforced door. Sunset knew the room as a vault that contained a number of treasures Celestia wished to keep safe but had never seen inside. Maybe if she squinted as she walked, she could...


"Well hi, Sunset." The voice of one of the guards standing watch at the archives drew her attention and derailed her thoughts. It was one of the white coated pegasus stallions that seemed to be everywhere within the guard. She bit back a sigh at being interrupted and turned to the guard with a slightly forced smile.


"Hello, sir." She replied, managing to make her smile look welcoming, sensing Singularity waiting with her.


"So what've you been learning today?" The guard asked, crouching down to be at eye level with her.


"Only how to be the most powerful unicorn of my age!" Sunset declared, a trained response to ponies asking what she wanted to be. She even puffed her chest out proudly as she said it. Sure it was a lot like most street performers she sometimes saw in the city, but she had the talent to back it up.


"I don't doubt it." The guard commented, surprisingly sounding like he wasn't patronising her as he stood up again.


Sunset tuned out slightly as she heard voices above her. If the guard and Singularity were talking then she could be waiting for a few minutes, when all she wanted right now was to have dinner with her mother, greet her father when he got home from the EDF headquarters and then study some more at home. At least she had the guards over by the vault to draw her attention while she waited. As soon as they had the crate moved out the way, she took a few steps forward to try and peek into the gap before they closed it. Most of it was obscured in some way but she did spot something. A glass vial, ovaloid in shape, about the size of her leg and with no clear means of opening it. What was inside it was...Fascinating.


At its base was a four point purple star, layered above a four point white star that lay at a diagonal angle. A pair of two toned aqua streams of magic rose from it. The whole thing was hovering and bathed in a faint glow that was the same aqua colour. Even with that momentary glimpse before the door was sealed shut, she recognised it for what it was: A cutie mark. She'd had her own for a few years so she understood the importance of them. The question now was, why was one there and not on a pony?


"Sunset?"


Singularity's voice shook her focus and she looked back at the unicorn.


"Why is there a cutie mark in there?" Sunset asked. It seemed a simple enough question, yet Singularity looked unsettled by it, perhaps even a little concerned.


"I, don't believe that is a question that I'm allowed to answer. Come." She replied rather quickly, stepping forward and ushering Sunset away. The filly gave a last look back before sticking close as they made their way through the castle, wondering just what that behaviour was about.


For once, Sunset Shimmer didn't do any studying that night. Her parents, Bright Carrier and Cipher, both noted that instead she was oddly distant, more thoughtful than usual. By the time the following morning came around and her father was walking her to the castle for today's lessons, her curiosity about the contained cutie mark was becoming unbearable. She could only hope that Princess Celestia would be willing to tell her something about it, even if it was just so she could put the matter to rest and focus on her studies again.


As the entered the castle grounds, Sunset slowed down slightly. Something felt off about this. Normally Singularity would meet her at the gates if she hadn't walked her here, the two of them then going on to Princess Celestia together. They were going right up to the castle doors this time. In addition, the general atmosphere lacked the usual energy the morning brought. It felt...Tense. Sure enough, the princess was waiting for her at the base of the steps to the castle. Compared to her usual happiness at the sight of her student, she looked stern and serious.


"I'm glad you're here so early," Celestia said as Sunset and Cipher bowed to her. "Sunset, Singularity informed me yesterday that you saw inside my vault and noted a...Unique item. Is this true, Sunset Shimmer?"


"I..." For all her confidence, Sunset found herself faltering under the focused gazes of both her father and a goddess. "Yes."


Celestia simply stared at her for several moments before nodding, her expression softening.


"I see. Then there is somewhere that we must go before today's studies. Thank you for coming with her, Cipher. I hope your day improves from this and rest assured, I will come by later to discuss this."


"Of course, your highness." Cipher nodded as he stood and left for the EDF headquarters nearby.


With that settled for now, Celestia lifted Sunset onto her back with her magic and entered the castle. Sunset generally liked riding on her alicorn mentor, but she knew they weren't heading up to the library or the archives this time. Instead they seemed to be heading downward, toward the areas she had been forbidden to enter. More specifically, toward the castle dungeons.


"There's somepony you need to see," Celestia started to explain as they passed through the empty dungeons, looking back to see Sunset listening intently. "The pony that originally had the cutie mark you saw."


"Why are they here?" Sunset asked, poking her head out from behind the alicorn's neck.


"Because of the danger she posed to Equestria. You see, I have said that you have the potential to be the next Twilight Sparkle. That means that I believe you have the ability to change the world, using your abilities for the good of all. Sometimes, that may require you to use that strength to stand up against dangerous beings, maybe even other ponies, to protect those who do not deserve the harm they would inflict."


"Wh-what did they do?" Sunset asked quietly, mind racing from this information as they passed into a higher security area.


"This pony, tried to destroy time as you know it. Only Princess Twilight experienced the full effects of what she tried to do, and it took a heavy toll on her. She spoke of seeing a world where our home had been fighting the Crystal Empire for many years, from what she told me that even now in this timeline, your talents would have been squandered and used only as a weapon, if you were still alive."


"I don't want that." The filly commented, though she wasn't sure if the waver in her voice was from concern was for how different the world would be, or the words 'squandered talents'.


"Neither do I. This is why I have brought you here, so you understand another way in which you may one day have to help Equestria. Though, I sincerely hope that day never comes." Celestia sighed slightly as she stopped in front of a cell and lifted Sunset down to the floor, looking into it.


Sunset did the same, staring slightly as she looked into the cell. It wasn't exactly bare by prison standards, containing all the basics needed for a pony. There was only one occupant, asleep on the bed with her back to the door. Pink coated, her mane and tail purple with a single aquamarine stripe running through both, dangling limply with no styling. Her eyes and cutie mark not visible from this angle. What was most striking though, was that her colours were dulled to an almost unnatural degree. Sunset slowly took the details in before looking back at Celestia, silently asking for context.


"This is Starlight Glimmer, the pony that cutie mark belonged to," Celestia said sadly. "One of the most powerful and dangerous unicorns alive. She tried to enact her plans four years ago, but was stopped and had to have her cutie mark removed to contain her power. We've been attempting to reason with her ever since, find a way to help her find herself again. However..."


Sunset found herself listening less as she took a step closer, taking in the sleeping Starlight. The mention of the unicorn's strength had piqued her curiosity. It wasn't like this Starlight Glimmer was more powerful then she would be when she reached that age, right? If only there was a way to find out. She raised her head slightly as she remembered what she'd been learning the day before, the projection magic. The spell hadn't been that complex to cast. Surely it wouldn't be too bad if she momentarily placed herself inside the resting mind and found out what she was thinking. Sunset's horn glowed cyan and she focused it at the sleeping pony before the world flashed around her.


As the light faded, she looked round herself for a second before pausing. She couldn't see anything, just darkness everywhere. There was a sense of magic in the air though, understandable if this really was within Starlight Glimmer's mind. It was unlike anything she had ever felt before though, a primal strength that seemed soak her to the core and filled every breath she took, permeated her very skin, resisted every movement she made. Was this what the strongest raw magical ability felt like? Was this what she would feel once she reached her true potential?


A faint cry behind her drew her attention and she turned to see the same Starlight sitting there, though her colours were much more natural and her cutie mark was firmly in place on her flanks. She had her back to Sunset, focused on something out of view. Sunset glanced down at herself, wondering why her entrance had gone unnoticed, and realised that she couldn't actually see herself. The effects of projecting herself into the unicorn's mind had been less than she'd hoped, only able to see in but unable to do anything more. It would have to suffice for now, at least she could see what all this power Starlight had could do. Just because it was restrained without her cutie mark didn't mean she couldn't remember the power she'd wielded.


That seemed to be the case, Starlight had a pony held down on the floor in her magic, a purple, bruised hoof the only thing Sunset could see of them. The crying seemed to come from them as well. Even as she focused on the sight, Starlight tensed and turned her head, a glowing white eye becoming visible before the world flashed white again. Sunset felt her world turn upside down and gravity kick in behind her, the sensation of having her body back disorientating her badly.


"Sunset!"


Celestia's voice rang in her ears slightly as she became aware of the feeling of feathers at her back. Her vision came back into focus and she realised she was on her back, on the floor of the dungeon. Celestia had put a wing beneath her, making her realise she must have collapsed from the effort to maintain the spell. She slowly turned her head to look at the princess and realised that she was wearing an expression that was equal parts irritation and concern.


"I-I'm sorry, it seemed like a good idea at the time and-"


"What did you do?" Celestia asked, keeping her voice level and free of emotion.


"I, wanted a closer look. So I used a projection spell to enter her mind and it was dark and powerful and..." Sunset buried her face in her hooves, waiting for judgement. Her voice had dropped to a whimper. "I just wanted to impress you."


"I see," Celestia sighed, lifting Sunset back up onto her back "I'm not angry at you, Sunset. A child is always curious. However, it appears I underestimated your determination. We will need to talk about the magic you study in your free time and the responsible use of it."


Sunset simply nodded as Celestia turned to take them back into the castle, casting a last look back toward the cell. Starlight Glimmer had woken up at some point and was looking back at her, her tired, angry blue eyes meeting the filly's own light blue ones. The look she gave chilled Sunset to the bone, no words needing to be spoken to get her point across. Starlight knew exactly what she had been doing. Sunset shrank between Celestia's wings slightly and looked away, a new motivation for her studies forming. Starlight was the most powerful unicorn she had ever seen, and one day would come the time that they would meet again. It was highly unlikely that Starlight would be very forgiving about what had transpired here.


She needed to become even stronger before then.