• Published 24th Sep 2016
  • 4,925 Views, 117 Comments

Springtime for a Drake - Yinglung



Spike had been a feared and respected legend in Westeros for centuries. Destiny, however, played trick on him once more, and returned him to Equestria.

  • ...
5
 117
 4,925

Spike II

Spike walked inside a hallowed hall. White velvet draped over the unhewn stone wall, building up to an open dome at the top.

Seven piercing pillars of gemstones sat in the middle, forming a vast half-circle. Within the circle, there were layers of cotton and fabrics, creating a gem-crusted lounge.

The small dragon was bemused. “Dragonpit…?”

He looked to the sky through the open dome, azure light showered on his face. He then walked near a wall and touched it with his small paw.

“What shame, such craft was no longer there for eyes to feast on.”

Walking around the hall, he muttered. “Dragonstone might be nice, but the renovated Dragonpit was a splendid work, pinnacle of men’s ingenuity… unlike the old caverns.”

Closing his eyes and letting out a sigh, he muttered to himself with a nostalgic smile. “Everything must go. Perhaps Aegon’s right, it was a bit unbecoming for me to-”

A blast of deafening roar drowned his own musing, almost sending him onto the floor with sheer tremble. He was not at all startled, however. He merely sighed with embarrassment apparent on his face. “I didn’t know I snored this loud.”

He turned to the center of the hall. A dragon, gargantuan in size, sat upon his throne. His purple scales were weathered, and the green plates on his back were sharp as blades. His eyes looked tired, and his face was filled with worry.

“… Or just sighing as usual. I should really cover my mouth sometimes.”

Despite the self-deprecating joke, Spike felt ill at ease, as he gazed upon his old self and became slightly overwhelmed with memories. He quietly turned again, this time towards a staircase downwards.

However, a small figure emerged from the stairs first. It was a little girl with yellowish-white hair and purple eyes.

Spike stopped and raised his brows. He muttered with slight disbelief. “This girl… Calla…?”

She did not seem to see or notice the small dragon. She brushed by Spike’s side, and leaped straightly towards the old dragon in the middle of the hall.

Spike looked back again. The girl seemed eager to cheer up the severe-looking old dragon. She tried to get his attention by jumping up a bit, to no avail. Then she closed her eyes and began to sing.

Hear, dragon of ages.
The young girl seeketh.
In thy gentle voice
Mayest thou show grace.
As I call on thee,
Thou my preserver.
I am thy pupil,
Thou art my mentor.

Spike, I call on thee;
For thee to hear me.
Bid me, prince of peace,
Thou my supreme need.
Ever I need thee,
Generous and great,
O’er all human woe,
City of thy heart.

Guard me, my savior.
Ever I need thee,
Through ev’ry moment
In this world so wide.
Comet-born, send me
Noble motives now.
Aid cometh from thee,
To my deepest heart.

Spike’s breath almost stopped, entirely engrossed in the hauntingly beautiful song.

After the girl stopped singing, the small dragon smiled longingly. “… Oh Calla, how I cherish you.”

Similarly, the dark clouds on the old Spike’s face had all cleared. He spoke with a gravelly voice. “Good morning, my good Calla. Your singing is ever so lovely. The sun is warm and the day is bright. Why do you not go out and play with your peers?

“Dromon, I want to hear more of your stories today!”

Slowly, the old dragon exhaled, emitting a gruffly sigh. “Calla, the tales of the old are but an old dragon’s mumbling. Your future lies not in here, but in your head, your hands and your toil.

“I beg to differ, Dromon! Those who do not study the past are doomed to repeat it.”

The old Spike paused a bit, and then lightly chortled. Due to his enormous size, even a humorous chuckle sounded like two giant boulders smashing against each other.

Calla, my sweet child. So what if you do study the past? Would you not be forced to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeat it?”

“Dromon.” The girl’s expression turned serious. “I know you are joking. However, having the mind to distinguish right from wrong is more important than having the means to exercise it. The world had suffered because our forefathers had chased power for power’s sake, and frowned upon people who sought power for what is moral, right and good as honorable fools.”

She sat at the base of the dragon, unconcerned that even a slight movement of the giant dragon could crush her in an instant.

“The past is like a mirror, helping us look at our faults and blemishes in order to correct them. But this mirror is cracked and twisted, because it had been constantly shaped and molded by men with their agenda and biases. The least I could do is to ask widely, to ask always, and to ask those who lived as it occurred. This means asking you, Dromon. This way, I may draw my own conclusion and craft my own mental compass.”

You are ever the orator, Calla. But I felt as if there is anything that the past teaches us, it is that we never have learned anything from history. Each period of time was distinctly special, the events contained within happened because of causes wrapping within other causes. In essence, every past event is as idiosyncratic as every individual person, that when we make consideration upon it, we are pretty much forced to consider its unique circumstances, and its own circumstances alone.

“Dromon, I do not agree. Even among men, there are twins, triplets, and so on. Siblings and relatives displayed consistently similar traits. Likewise, while past events never repeat letter-by-letter in the present, evocative themes and refrains do occur. And these are the true nuggets of human nature. Something that are common, universal and constant about us, and something to draw wisdom, but not to ruminate from.”

The old Spike gazed long and hard at the tiny girl. And then he let out a roaring laughter. Calla brightly beamed, and did not flinch for a bit.

I suppose you earn it, Calla. Where in the whole Westeros can I find a child who can engage in a discussion on this level? Now sit tight, for I am about to tell you the story of the arrival of the aeromancers from Asshai, at the height of the Second War of Northern Independence…

***

The scene suddenly rippled, and turned into a mere blur swiftly.

With a shallow gasp, Spike jumped up from where he stood - and landed in a small blanketed basket.

The dragon looked around. The calming sight of Golden Oak Library entered his green eyes.

“Calla… Why her?”

He eventually shook his head, dismissing the dream as some idle visions from the past. He leaped out from the basket and walked briskly towards the window.

The sun was slowly being raised from the horizon by the solar sovereign of the land. Fresh air blew into the tree house and onto Spike’s face. He spent a short while absorbing the idyllic grace of Ponyville, before reaching to his belongings and beginning to pack up.

On the bed at the other side of the room, the purple mare groggily climbed up. Spike bit back a feeling of unease and sadness, and said. “Good morning, Twilight. Up so early?”

Ever since he returned to Equestria, he felt so close and yet so distant with the one pony who hatched him and cared for him in his young. Suspicion and doubt often clouded her words, and most attempts to reconnect with her simply fell flat.

He did not know why fate played such a joke on him. Of course, he knew full well that ‘why’ was perhaps one of the inanest inquiries as to mundane happenings, for the world never quite ran on the logic of mortals. Though, he quite firmly believed that what brought him to Westeros was also what brought him back to Equestria.

In any case, he was pleasantly surprised when Twilight got out of her bed and greeted him with a small smile. “Good morning, Spike. Let me do the breakfast for today.”

Spike quietly gasped, though his heart was dearly warmed. “This cannot do, Twilight. Didn’t you say my cooking has improved so much that you want to eat at home every day? With such glowing praise, I’m not going to squander a chance to cook for my dear Twilight.”

Twilight blushed slightly at the intimate address, and then quickly said. “No, Spike. It’s exactly because you’ve become such a good chef, I can’t become overly addicted to your cooking. You have to leave for Canterlot today, and goodness know when you would come back. That’s why I must get my hooves to the stoves to warm up. If I’m still content to be a Spike-food junkie, then Celestia helps me.”

The dragon and the mare looked at each other, and bloomed into hearty laughs.

After the laugh died down, Twilight quietly asked. “Spike…”

“Yes?”

Twilight gulped, and then became reticent again. Spike looked at her strangely, and was about to inquire further, but Twilight herself shook her head and quickly said. “… Nothing, I just want to ask if you’ve prepared enough. The dragons from Fillydelphia might be more settled down than their cousins elsewhere, but some of them might still be overly irritable. Please try not to offend the representatives, okay?”

“I have read up on their unique customs beforehand, and I shall be careful. Thank you very much for your kind concern, Twilight.”

Twilight nodded, and Spike added with a smirk. “I’m merely interested in what motivated the largely nomadic dragons to live a sedentary life… like me. And I would know well not to cause an incident, diplomatic or otherwise. The reason that Princess Celestia turns to me is perhaps my role as a token close dragon relation of hers. This should show them that the Equestrian royal court is truly inclusive.”

The purple mare, for some reason, again shifted uncomfortably, as if words were stuck in her throat. But at the end, she merely gave out a thin smile and said. “… Take care, Spike.”

“I will, Twilight. Take care of yourself too. I cannot wait to be back with you again.”

Twilight lightly jabbed the purple dragon with a wistful smirk. “Quit it with your sugar-coated words, young drake. You should get to the train station earlier, just in case. Let me cook up something nice and fast for you.”

Spike strapped his small bag to his body and nodded with a grin. “Thank you then, my good Twilight.”

Author's Note:

Song lyrics were adapted from Heyr Himna Smiður (Hear, Heaven's Smith).