• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 443 Views, 8 Comments

The Fortune Cookie and Other Tales - -TheStoryteller-



A short collection of mysteries and thrillers

  • ...
 8
 443

The Fortune Cookie

Luna’s Moon shone brightly down upon the busy streets of Canterlot, where even at this late hour ponies, gyrphons, minotaurs and a host of Equestria’s other citizens were all out enjoying the evening.

In a small Chinponese restaurant lit by the soft glow of lanterns, Rarity sat eating with her friend and employee, Sassy Saddles. It had been an exceptional day of sales, so the tired but happy Rarity had offered to treat them both to dinner. Rarity delicately wiped her mouth with her napkin and covered a ladylike burp, then sat back in contentment.

“That was outstanding!” she said as she pushed her empty plate of sesame tofu and noodles away. “I couldn’t eat another bite!” Sassy smiled and did the same.

“Thank you, Rarity!” She looked around. “I don’t know when I’ve had a better meal in a nicer place.”

Rarity raised her glass of plum wine and said, “You deserve it after today. More wine?”

They chatted together for a few more minutes, then it was time to get the check, which Rarity of course insisted on paying. Along with the check came their fortune cookies. “These are always fun,” said Rarity as she opened hers and began reading. Sassy was in the process of reading her own when she noticed the atmosphere in the room had changed. She looked up at her boss, and found her frozen as she stared at her fortune.

“Is…is something wrong, Rarity? You look frightened.”

Rarity stared at her fortune a few more moments before saying, “Oh, no…it’s nothing.”

“Well, what does it say?”

Rarity forced a smile and said, “It’s just a silly saying. What did yours say?”

“Mine says, ‘You will have great success in business.’ Rather appropriate, I think.”

Rarity stared at her own again while absently adding, “Yes…very appropriate…”

Sassy started to reach across the table for Rarity’s when she saw her and frantically drew it back. “Don’t!” Rarity cried.

Sassy drew back her hoof and looked long and hard at her. Finally, she said, “Alright, now you’re scaring me. Whatever it is, it can’t be that bad?”

Instead of answering, Rarity looked around at the restaurant’s staff, searching their faces. All of a sudden she threw a bunch of bits on the table and got up. “Let’s be going, Sassy. I…I don’t feel like staying any longer.” She stuffed the paper fortune into her saddlebags, then turned and practically ran out the building. Sassy rushed to follow her. She then planted herself in front of her.

“We’re not moving until you tell me what’s bothering you.”

Rarity stared at her, the struggle visible on her face. Then, without speaking, she reached inside her saddlebags and handed her the fortune. Sassy took it and read the following: “Unicorn, your life is in danger. Say nothing to anyone. You must leave the city and never return. Repeat: tell no one.” Sassy read it a few more times, then turned it over and looked at the back. It was blank. She then looked at her friend.

“It’s got to be a joke. A sick joke, but a joke all the same.” Her face then grew dark. “I’m going to go tell that restaurant just what I think of their ‘sense of humor!’ ” She started back when Rarity stopped her.

“No! I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone! If they know you know, you could be in danger as well!”

Sassy stared at her and then said, “Surely, you’re not taking this seriously? Who would want to harm you?”

Rarity shook her head. “I have no idea, but I can’t take the chance on somepony else getting involved.”

Sassy took her by her shoulders and said, “Rarity. Think! It has to be a joke! That staff is probably laughing about it right now!”

Rarity looked down. “But, what if it isn’t? What if somepony wishes me…dead?”

Sassy let her go and said, “Alright. If that’s what you believe, then let’s go to the police.”

Rarity gave her a grim smile. “And tell them what? I’m scared because I got a menacing fortune cookie? They’d laugh me out of the building.”

Sassy threw up her hooves. “See? That’s what I’m saying: it’s just so silly!”

Rarity shook her head, then giggled softly to herself. “You know? You’re right: this is probably just an ill-conceived prank.” They turned and began trotting back to the boutique. “Needless to say, however,” said Rarity, “I shan’t be returning to that restaurant!”

They said their good nights at the boutique: Sassy going up to her room inside, while Rarity made her way to her hotel. She did her best to put the matter out of her mind, then slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next day she awoke refreshed and popped out of bed. There were a million things to get ready before they opened for the day and she couldn’t wait to begin.

As she let herself into the boutique, she called out, “Sassy! I’m here! Let’s get started!”

But she was met with silence. Rarity frowned. “Sassy?” It wasn’t like her to be late. “Maybe the poor dear is sleeping off the wine,” she said to herself as she trotted up the stairs. She paused at the bedroom door and knocked softly.

“Sassy, dear, it’s time to get up.” As she knocked, the door fell slightly open and that’s when she noticed the smell. “Sassy?” ventured Rarity as she slowly walked inside, then stopped cold. Her friend lay dead in a pool of her own blood, staring at the door. Rarity stifled a scream as she stood there, then turned and ran back down the stairs to the telephone. Just as she was about to dial, she noticed a single fortune cookie sitting near the phone. She hesitated, then fearfully took it in her magic and opened it.

She trembled as she read the following: You got the wrong fortune.