• Published 11th Nov 2016
  • 2,329 Views, 29 Comments

A Visit By Sunset Shimmer - Heavyhauler75622



It's been a LONG semester. Sunset Shimmer wants a small vacation. But EQUESTRIA??

  • ...
6
 29
 2,329

Epilogue

A Moon later…


Luna quietly walked down a path in Canterlot, thinking.

How beautiful Her Night was tonight; the stars sparkled like colored diamonds on deep purple and black velvet, even darker than the usual incredibly deep dark blue she usually painted upon the sky. It had taken a bit of doing, keeping Celestia’s Sun from bleeding through to the sky, as well as focusing Her Moon, but the effect was breathtaking…

She loved Applejack’s apples, and her cider was astounding. Nightmare Night was definitely losing its sting; she was getting the entire Filly and Foal Hospital refurbished and modernized, with no impact on taxation. Pinkie had taken her Lapis pebble, and had a necklace made from it. She had tried to give it back to Luna, but Luna asked shyly for Pinkie to keep it, as a symbol of peace between them over Nightmare Night. The Six had been guessing when the two of them would stop blushing about the new friendship. The new gown Rarity made her for The Grand Galloping Gala. Fluttershy coming by to check on Tibbey, including baths and grooming. Tibbey’s claws could be painful.

Twilight has written to Celestia, and to her as well, how the Dazzlings were starting to rejoin life, according to Sunset Shimmer. The music. Amazing. Amazing how music tied it all together.

Even an incongruous thought about how Celestia missed Twilight’s salutation at the start of her scrolls.

Celestia. Her rock. Twilight, her best friend. Even those crazy moments when Discord just couldn’t take it anymore, and had to come see her.

Tonight was the night. It was time…


Luna quietly walked into the Specialized Incantation Isolation Room, shut the doors as silently as she could. It was around two in the morning, and Canterlot was slumbering peacefully. She left the lights off…it suited her mood of the dramatic tonight.

A slight pause, as she tugged the lever to the ‘on’ position. It was wise to take this last precaution, as her ears suddenly fogged up. She popped them against the increased pressure. Ah, that’s better…

Her eyes adjusted quickly to the light of her horn. She walked to the center…

What to use? she thought. Almost anything would do. It wasn’t the…

She smiled quietly. But of course. That one. The best place to start is always the beginning…

The Princess of Kind Dreams was a tremendous singer, though she didn’t do very much of it in public. Like so many things about her, she was actually quite shy and introverted about it. Too many eyes, too much judgment; in far too many ways, she felt like Fluttershy
.
She shook her head. Enough introspective navel-gazing, Luna. Bravery. Like Twilight. Be like Twilight…until you can once more be wholly you…

First, the F, then the higher A, another F, an E, and again the F…then a D, an E, another D, a lower C, and then a lower A

She kept singing, as the room flashed into brilliance…


As she sang, she floated upward, unnoticed. Her gaze was turned inward, as the Rainbow Magic worked its beautiful patterns on the outside.
There was much more occurring here than vanity…

A small dark part within Luna froze in the incredible light inside of her. It ran first this way, then that, looking for a place to hide from the love within her. Suddenly it stopped, waiting, in fear.

“Do not be afraid,” she said to the dark. “I am here.”

“You cannot be! This is my place! My domain! I rule the Night here, within you!"

“No longer, I think,” she said sadly to the dark. “Your time is now past. Jealousy and anger are no longer enough for Us. We desire…we need more than that. Don’t We?”

“No! Our Dark…it is what We are! The others will come for you again, separate Us from them when the Fear becomes too much! Remember?”

“I do. But look around you. The light…this light…is love. Love for them, and for Us. All of Us. This light…is for you as well.”

She alighted very softly in front of the dark. “It is time for you to be loved as well, Nightmare Moon.”

The purple smoke twisted into the Mare in the Moon. “What are you saying?” she said, panicked.

“There is no recrimination here, Nightmare. We both surrendered to the dark. When I was freed, I selfishly shut you away, hated you for what you made of me. I put you in a tiny box, and called myself clever for doing it. I hated you. And it was not right. You are a part of me. No pony can survive long hating themselves.”

She sighed. “We are one pony, Nightmare. As much a part of me as I am to you. I tell the others you disappeared in the light of The Elements; I lie to them, as I think of you in that box."

The Nightmare lowered her head, her armor barding gleamed and her horn sharp. “I have no need of you!”

“You stumble in the dark, lost. I stumble in the light, blinded. I want Us to walk without blinders anymore, Nightmare. I want us both to be free

The hateful visage of Nightmare Moon…cracked. Not a thing changed in Luna’s vision, but she knew…she felt, the sudden uncertainty in the black mare.

“There is nothing for me in the Light! Our Sister…”

“Is not the provider of this light, Nightmare. No spell or incantation, no bright Sun washing away shadow. This is me…for you…”

“Impossible.” The cracks grew as indecision took hold.

“Take my hoof, Nightmare. Let me show you there’s another way…”

“I…”

Luna held out a foreleg…


She woke up on the floor.

For a moment, she was disoriented…the dark…

Am I dead..?

“I feel…different,” she whispered. Her aura reached out to the lights…

“OW!” she cried as the light hit her eyes full force. Her hooves flew to her face.

“Damn it, Luna! You know how bright it can be in here! Watch it!”

She started to get up. “Unhhh...figures I’d fall on a tile floor,” she groaned. She held her left shoulder with a right hoof and rubbed the sore spot. She also carefully tested her left wing, extending it and giving a gentle flap.

“Fantastic…no broken bones. Just a painful shoulder…and becoming cold as hell from laying on bare tile…”

She stood. “Well, all that works, at least,” she groused as she walked around. “Just a tiny limp in the left rear. That should go away with a little activity and gentle stretching.”

She reached out with her aura again, flipped the lever open. Luna stretched her neck and yawned to get her ears to pop. She shook her head a bit afterwards.

“Okay…everything seems to be working. I can always ice this shoulder and my rump, get any swelling down early. Then a nice warm bath tomorrow; some moist heat to promote blood flow and get the bruising out,” she said as she walked to the doors.

“Now…the list. First, I want to go to one of those new mane and tail salons. I’m dying to try some of those shaved coat patterns. Some nice scrollwork on my legs. Even RD doesn’t have the nerve to try that! And then some Wonderbolt flight training. Get fancy, get fast. Garam Masala Pilaf. Phall with potatoes. I wanna try that, no matter the heartburn. And Sis…I’m NOT gonna play nursemaid to Equestria during The Gala this time. I got a new gown. A Rarity Original, and I’m gonna find a cute guy and dance my hooves off this year!”

“I wanna flirt, and get a little tipsy, and tell Celestia she needs to loosen up and get a boyfriend. Or girlfriend. Or both; scandalous! That hasn’t happened for fifteen hundred years!

She frowned slightly. “At least that I know about…”

The doors sighed open, interrupting her. She flipped off the lights as the open door filled with warm, inviting Night.

I feel…different, she thought to herself, as she walked outside. Dawn was still a little time away, though the sky was beginning to lighten to the east, just as she designed.

I feel…better. Not just existing. She smiled, a big, cheek stretching grin like one of Pinkies. One that warmed her chilled body.

I feel…whole again.

I feel…alive!!

Comments ( 20 )
MJP

what up with the crossover tag, you do realize sunset going back to equestria isn't exactly a crossover

7712270
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and its showrunners have expressedly stated that Equestria Girls is now a stand-alone. Even Sunset has pointed out, to poor Flash Sentry himself, that Princess Twilight Sparkle would hardly be there at all...and Flash needed to get over her...

I'm gonna take Big Jim's word on this...and that means crossover...

I'm afraid I've gotta agree with MJP - a crossover is when you include elements of another series within your story. An example would be, say, and making everyone have lightsabers (MLP and Star wars). The most extreme example is actually putting the characters in the Star Wars universe.

I think, if anything, you'd be looking for the AU tag to signify an Alternate Universe :twilightsmile: Hope that helps!

7712996
7712314 It isn't and is a crossover. EG would be considered more of a spin-off rather than a completely separate entity. It's different when two different shows share a universe (Flash and Arrow) than when one shows creates another. Though even in those cases, when the spin-off and original interact, it is considered a crossover between the two. Like Doctor Who/Torchwood/Sarah Jane Adventures.

7713497
Thank You...

I was just following the path of wiser heads than I, namely, the people that actually make this show. They say 'crossover', I say, "Yes, Sir!" and salute...

I'm just happy that of things that COULD be said about my story (or stories), discussion of the tags is wonderfully benign.


Crystalheart

7717796
Nor was it necessary in "Legend of Everfree" to talk about sapphires being rubies without chromium or the scientific name for blackberry brambles...

This is how Twily thinks. Sometimes, your output is derived from your input. And I wanted to do that name thing for awhile now...

Crystalheart

Great story, loved it :pinkiehappy: :heart:

7726531
That follows IF ponies used our nomenclature like we do...

Considering how widespread sentience seems to be on this planet, the tree would get pretty confusing trying to put everypony in the normal Earth genus/species ordering...so, I decided to add the "Sapient" label to get everypony into the proper frame of mind right at the beginning. This kinda follows the Klingon ordering of intelligence; the separation there being the use of language as the determinant factor...that which does/that which does not...

That's the fun thing about being a writer...you can make stuff up...

Crystalheart

7726393
You're very welcome. Your TIME is your most valuable thing on this Earth...I want to make sure you're not wasting it with me...:twilightsmile:

I liked the story. Thumb up.

7762273

I am apologizing in advance, and I do hope you realize that this is just to set the record straight.

I do appreciate your adding "A Visit By Sunset Shimmer" to your Favorites.

However:

From the opening narration of "Friendship is Magic, Part 1", it is established that Luna is AWAKE at night...

"But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night."

"Canterlot Wedding Part 1" Princess Luna: "Rest, my sister. As always, I will guard the night."

"Sleepless in Ponyville" Princess Luna: "I am the princess of the night. Thus it is my duty to come into your dreams."

"For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils" Sweetie Belle: "Princess Luna! It's really you! Or am I dreaming?"
Princess Luna: "What do you think?"
Sweetie Belle:" Let me see. You just rescued me from a maniacal laughing Rarity-cloud. Yeah, probably dreaming. (This is occuring at night. Luna is awake for it.)
Princess Luna: "I understand what you're going through, Sweetie Belle. I too have a sister who often shines more brightly than me, and with this, I have struggled." (Allegory of the Sun outshining the Moon.)

"Bloom & Gloom" Princess Luna: "It's been a busy night for us all, but I think it's time to bring it to a close."
[door opens]
Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle:" Princess Luna!"
Princess Luna: "I know you've all had a lot on your minds tonight, but I think Apple Bloom has something she'd like to share before you wake." (NOT 'We wake...', specifically says "...you wake.)

The real clincher, of course, is "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" In this story Luna is only asleep in her bed at the beginning of the episode, when the Tantibus escapes, and Luna's dream ends happily. When the Six become involved, Luna clearly states that while the Six slumber that night, she will move from dream to dream in pursuit of it. The video clearly shows her awake as she does the preparations and takes up the pursuit. Example:

Princess Luna: "I can see the Tantabus has already turned your slumbers into a nightmare!" (Again, 'Your', not 'Our'.)

And the clincher. Princess Luna: "Of course. I will do anything to end this, including accept your help. I cannot allow the Tantabus to escape into the real world. All of you must now go back to sleep and hope that I can create such a dream." (Once more, Luna specifically excludes herself as one of the sleepers. Emphasis added to the quote by me.)

At the end of this episode, The Six all wake as a rooster crows, signaling the end of the night. And now, on a bed of pillows, Luna sleeps peacefully.

Sorry, but the show supports my interpretation of events, not yours.

Crystalheart

7762226

This does not make any sort of sense at all.

Sunset's cowhide leather jacket was bought in the human world, probably to beef up her bad girl image. Not Equestria. To assign a race (griffons, in this case), a certain callous bloodthirstiness not evident in the series AT ALL requires a REAL GOOD REASON. A leather jacket does not qualify, especially if the previous owner of that skin was pleading for their life just moments before. As a writer, I would rule this completely out of bounds. Sunset could rationalize it at arms length because the world where she now lives has completely different rules, as well as creatures. Probably why in subsequent movies, Sunset is moved into a much more appropriate textile jacket. Her conscience bothered her.

Fish. No. Hard enough to contemplate ovo/lacto vegetarian ponies as it is.

And I'm not questioning Equestrian evolutionary patterns regarding sentience. They called it; I just write here.

Sincerely,

Crystalheart

7764355
You realize that was Twilight reading a book and from the look of it it was book for children and not a history book. It was a fairytale book and Twilight didn't know that those sisters in the story are Celestia and Luna, because no one knew Celestia had a sister when Celestia spoke to Luna for the first time. So no it wasn't history book.
And all those episodes you mentioned only says i am right. To walk into somepony dream you must be asleep.

7764377
I was reacting to what Rarity said and how strange it is that she doesn't know what leather is when they have predators as neighbours.
In the show there is practicaly nothing said about griffins. But we know they are hybrids of two predators. It would be naive to think they don't hunt animals, because we didn't see them do it during the few episodes we saw them in.
Sunset said "which didn’t come from dogs, thank goodness". That it can contain cows that we know can speak in Equestria didn't bother her at all?

7764576
Again, I'm sorry. This is what the writer of this story decided based on several episodes of information, scenes in the series, and established facts. I have posted the pertinent information where everyone could see it, and so far, they agree with me and MLP:FiM.

If you feel that this is pertinent enough, I hereby suggest you write a story reflecting your decisions.

I feel that you have not been able to understand why my characters are the way they are, or that you refuse to, and you are imposing your own concepts on my work.

Crystalheart

7998665

That is a very profound title for Sunny...with permission, may I use a variation of that?

Perhaps not 'Princess', but there has to be a reflection that is at least as amazing...

Crystalheart

7998677

It follows the central theme of 'redemption' for former enemies, which I enjoy immensely.

Chryssi being the noteable exception currently, but it does allow for another two-parter...

Thank You for your thoughtful commentary. I appreciate your input.

Crystalheart

Very interesting epilogue.

8155137

Thank You! That is one of the best compliments to get; "I wish this was part of the show."

Now, I did say that this was going to diverge, according to Big Jim...that EqG was going to be its own separate show, its own thing...

But, you know, if the rumours are true...

Guess we'll all get to find out together...

Crystalheart

8155252
I wanted to capture something...that Sunset Shimmer's Friendship Lessons are universal; that anypony could take them to heart, and learn from them...

That despite the events of the tantibus, Luna was still a fractured psyche, a duality living in one pony. She is my favorite Alicorn to write for; like Spock in Star Trek, there is a conflict inside her, with two strong personalities striving to dominate the Princess of the Moon.

But it isn't her intellect that will win over both and make them live together...

It's Friendship...and she applies it...to herself...

"Take my hand, Twilight. Let me show you there's another way..." Sunset said...

Despite the absurdity of Friendship Games, (seriously, teenagers and dirt bikes in a High School? The insurance executives probably passed out in panic over that), it was worth that one moment...

The moment Sunset saved Twilight...and it was powerful...

Luna's tone shifts after the confrontation inside her. It's less hesitant, less couched in her past; even her language usage becomes more modern. The shyness dispells somewhat, and she becomes more open to try new things. More...well...

Human...

We'll see this season if I'm right...

Crystalheart

Login or register to comment