• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 21,361 Views, 477 Comments

We will catch you if we can - proto-alpha



When put against a whole new race, a human must keep on running for the sake of his freedom

  • ...
98
 477
 21,361

Evil stares

Fernando's POV

I was close to the stairs. Thanks to that tour I had some days ago, and my days at the castle, I knew half of this place as well as the inside of the Deku Tree. I walked slowly, careful as to not make any sound, but with a creature that is the embodiment of the chaos following me, I'm pretty sure it won't work for too long.

The stairs came into my sight, but I heard some voices below. Peeking a little over the corner, I didn't saw anyone, but the voices were still there. I tried to hear what they were saying, but I didn't understand what they were saying, but at least I did know that there were at least two of them there.

"Princess!" and that was Twilight, arriving with five of her friends.

"Why do they always show up when I want to escape from somewhere? I thought with annoyance. The princess, that I now knew was Luna, and two guards came out from their hiding spot. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, but knowing that at least one of them was gonna come to search for me, I go for a place to hide.

Third Person POV

Everypony, except for Twilight, was staring at the princess second horn when they arrived. Luna gave them a puzzled look but decided that it could wait.

"Good, now that you are here, we'll send some of you to lure the human to our trap" said Luna.

"Okay, princess," responded Twilight "Rainbow Dash, Applejack and me will go" the mention of their names broke the trance of the ponies, who had now determined looks on their faces. "Now, princess, I need you and the others that are going to ambush it to make everything possible to stop it. After that, I'll need you Fluttershy" she pointed to the yellow pegasus "to use the 'stare' on it. If it works, he shouldn't be a problem anymore". Everypony nodded at the plan.

"What do we do when we see it?" asked Rainbow Dash while flying up the stairs.

"You'll fly over it and block his path. Applejack will be behind it in case he tries to change his path, and if I can, I'll stop it with levitation" responded Twilight.

"What if he manages to escape?" asked Applejack

"We just need to take it to our ambush. It's just an animal so we shouldn't have any problems" answered the unicorn

"I don't know, Twilight, I know for experience that a cornered animal can do anything to get away" said Applejack unsure

"Come on! You and me surely are stronger than it, and Twilight has magic, so we got nothing to fear" said Rainbow Dash, confident as ever.

When they reached the second floor, Twilight started to use her see-through spell. Fernando could see them from his hiding spot, and he recognized the magic trick that Twilight was using

"Damn, I forgot that I can't hide from the unicorns" Fernando thought. He ran to a random corridor, wanting to be as away as possible from the unicorn. From the ceiling, Discord read Fernando thoughts.

"Let's do this a little more... interesting" he said to himself, pausing for dramatic effect, before disappearing.

Fernando entered what appeared to be a hall with...

"Jigsaw puzzles?". A whole room dedicated solely to all of the jigsaw puzzles that the princess had completed in their lives. You could see some puzzles from a thousand pieces to ten thousand. They had all kinds of images in them. There were some puzzles with the big cities of Equestria, others had the princesses in them. There was even one with Discord in it.

"Wait, Discord?" Fernando did a double take, and surely, there was a puzzle of Discord. He approached it, and when he was examining it closely, the head moved and said

"Boo!"

Fernando 'yelled', and then glared at the image. Discord came out from the puzzle, curiously he looked as if he was made of tiny pieces, and started to talk

"Did you miss me?" he said with sarcasm.

"Ha ha ha. What do you want now?" Fernando responded while still trying to develop laser-eyes.

"I came to make you an offer"

"What do you mean with offer?" Fernando wouldn't trust Discord with a paper sheet, and that wasn't the exception.

"I mean that I'll give you a chance to stand against the see-through spell" Discord responded. This caught some of Fernando's attention

"What's the catch?" he still feared giving him trust and getting a paper plane in return.

"The unicorns won't be able to see you with the see-through spell, but every kind of pony will know if you are near". With the clock ticking, Fernando didn't had much time to think.

"They'll know if I'm close, but still won't know exactly were am I?" he said finally. Discord nodded. "I'll regret this later, but I accept" Discord grinned maliciously and snapped his fingers. Fernando braced himself for any kind of trick, but he didn't felt anything

"Done!" said Discord smiling. Fernando looked confused, and thought

"Was that all?"

"Well, excuuuse me if this spell doesn't have any flamboyant effects" Discord said, faking annoyance. Fernando gave him a deadpan look before going to find anywhere were he could hide. He hid behind a, what appeared to be, ten thousand pieces puzzle, and Discord exited the room by a window. Not to long after, Twilight was passing with her see-through spell, but thanks to Discord, she wasn't able to see Fernando. When she and the other two ponies were passing by the door, the three stopped at the same time.

"Hey girls, did you sense that too?" asked Twilight

"Yeah, it's like I knew that that animal is somewhere close" Rainbow Dash answered

"Don't low your guard, remember that it could be another one of Discord's tricks" said Applejack.

"Yeah, I think that too. Anyway, we already saw inside with my spell. There's nothing wrong in that room" Twilight commented.

"I still think that we should check it" said Rainbow while crossing her hoofs.

"Instead of just checking a room that we already know is a potential trap, we should continue to search for that human"
Twilight said, not trusting the sudden feeling. They continued walking, but Rainbow Dash kept on looking to the door.

When Fernando heard the hoofsteps going away, he came out from his hiding spot.

"Well, it worked" he thought

"Did you even have any doubt?" said Discord as he reentered the room.

"Do you really want to know?" he responded sarcastically.
He exited the room, but for some reason he felt observed. He looked around but didn't spot anything.

"Hey, up here!" he heard someone say from above. He looked up and there, hovering with her hoofs crossed and a smirk, was Rainbow Dash.

"She's my eternal punishment, right?" Fernando thought before darting away. Before going to catch him, she was stopped by Twilight

"Hey, Rainbow, what are you waiting for?" she said poking her head from the corner of the corridor after she noticed that Rainbow wasn't following them.

"I told you that we should've checked that room!" the pegasus responded before flying at top speed. Twilight had a confused look first, but then she understood what she meant.

"What's holding up you two?" said Applejack, her head appearing above Twilight's.

"Rainbow Dash found the human!" said Twilight, but then she looked at Applejack annoyed "why are you standing on my back?" Applejack grinned sheepishly and returned to the ground.

"I guess I've spent too much time with Pinkie" she said. Twilight decided to take one problem at a time and just told her

"Let's just catch up with Rainbow Dash".

Fernando was running from Rainbow Dash, but no matter where he turned, Rainbow was able to block his path by flying above him.

"I can't get away if I can't trick her" he thought when she blocked his path for the third time. Quickly looking around, he saw some doors in the alley. "This should give me some time" he thought when he thought of a plan. He went for a random door. As expected, Rainbow flew over him to block his path, but when she was passing over him, he closed the door, giving a full force hit to the pegasus' head. While she was still shaking the dizziness off, he went for another door, successfully losing Dash.

When she returned to normal, she noticed that she didn't knew where Fernando was anymore.

"Buck!" she said in frustration. Just then Twilight and Applejack caught up with Rainbow Dash

"Hey, where is the human?" asked Twilight

"It got away" said Rainbow Dash, not telling all the story.

"Do you know where did he go?" asked Twilight

"No, but for some reason I still have the feeling from before. I think it tells us if that animal is close" said Rainbow Dash.

"If what you are saying is true, we should separate. When you don't have that feeling it is supposed that we're not close anymore" said Twilight. They nodded and went to inspect the doors.

"I lost the feeling" said Applejack after just some steps.

"That leaves out those doors" responded Twilight while pointing almost all the doors of the corridor, leaving two possible choices.

"I'll take this one!" said Rainbow as she went for the door to the left.

"Okay, I'll go through this one!" said Applejack, going to the other door.

"If you find it, bring it here. I'll stop him with my magic" Twilight told to the other two before they left.

Fernando was in the middle of the dinning room, which seemed unnecessarily enormous.

"If I remember correctly, the kitchen has an emergency exit that leads to the gardens" he thought as he ran to the only other door in the room. There was the sound of hoofs hitting the ground at the other end of the room. He looked behind him and saw Applejack running while searching for something in her hat. He turned to look ahead and he saw that the door was still too far away. Turning his gaze to his back again, he saw how Applejack had already thrown a lasso to him. He sidestepped it while still running. He still had some distance to cover before entering the door, but Applejack had enough time to fling the rope to him again.

This time, instead of a sidestep, he caught the rope with his hands. When Applejack pulled from it, Fernando didn't let her retrieve it, but he was easily dragged along. He tried to pull harder, but this time, when he saw that Applejack was about to pull with all of her might, he let go of the lasso. With other ponies, they would only fall over, but whit the force that Applejack used, she went flying some meters. Fernando mentally chuckled a little at this

"Mind over muscle" he thought to himself. He saw the other two ponies just entering the room, so he quickly ran for the door, but there was a flash of light and Twilight was already in front of him "Magic over mind?" he thought before being levitated and completely immobilized.

Applejack stood up and saw that Twilight had already restrained Fernando. Rainbow Dash landed next to her and Applejack asked

"How did you know that the creature was here?"

"The other door took me to the servant dormitories. I just did a quick check in the rooms and then came back" responded the pegasus.

"Okay girls, let's take it to Fluttershy. Nopony deserves to suffer 'the stare', but it will make things easier if Discord tries to free it again" Twilight said as she walked past the other two, the human floating above them, wondering what was this 'stare' Twilight was talking about.

The three ponies returned to the stairs. The ponies that were supposed to ambush Fernando came out from their hiding spot and Luna said

"Great, you got the creature. I'll go and tell my sister that the crisis has ended" she proceeded to teleport to Celestia. Meanwhile, Twilight was taking Fernando with Fluttershy.

"I don't know, Twilight. It might only be scared and wanted to flee and doesn't deserve the 'stare'" said Fluttershy, feeling pity for the human. Twilight sighed

"We can't take any chances if Discord is involved" she said.

"O-okay" Fluttershy almost whispered. She took of time to get inspiration, and then 'the stare' took effect. Fernando at that moment felt very terrified. He felt as if she was staring into his very soul, making a hole through it. In his mental state, he could only think continuously

"Creepy". Fluttershy then started to scold him for how he had acted.

"Just what were you thinking when going along with Discord?" she asked

"I-I just..." he thought. If he could talk at that moment, he would be just as silent as now. Twilight had turned away, losing her grip on Fernando, but at this point, it wasn't necessary.

"Wasn't him the one that took you from your home?" she continued

"N-n-not exactly" he thought in vain. From a corner, invisible to the naked eye, Discord turned away from the scene

"Not even I, the chaos itself, can stand this" he said quietly before exiting the room. Nopony wanted to be there, and truth to be told, everyone was looking away. No one liked 'the stare'.

"Then there you go, making a ruckus, waking up everypony and making everything more difficult"

"Hey, that second thing was Celestia's doing" he though, with less fear now

"Do you even have a reason? We just want to help and be your friends! It doesn't help that we know little about you" she continued to say with that cursed gaze

"I do have a reason. I want to go my home with my voice" he emphasized in his mind 'with', "and I do know that you want to help me and be my friends, but right now you don't know anything about me!" slowly, he was regaining his mental strength.

"Now, I want you to think over what you have done tonight and tell me how you feel now" she ordered. Fernando started to stand up slowly, his head hung down gloomily, not saying anything, even if he could talk, he wouldn't say anything. "That's what I thought" finished Fluttershy. Twilight dared to take a peek at the scene and saw that it was already over.

"Wow, Fluttershy, you really know how to deal with things" Twilight praised, but deep down, she was still creeped out by the action that took place just some seconds ago.

"I think I might have overdone it a little" responded Fluttershy, looking down

"It was necessary, Fluttershy. From now on, we won't have to worry about it!" Twilight said. The rest of the ponies weren't averting their gaze anymore, and they started to return to their rooms.

Fernando was observing carefully everything around him. He wasn't moving at all, waiting for his chance to dart out of the room. He knew that he wouldn't be sleeping well this night, nor the next month, but he had a mission, and that was to get his voice back to normal. Not to long after, Celestia and Luna reappeared at the room. He saw that everypony was looking at them, and they didn't pay him too much attention, considering how they thought your state was. When they too looked away, he immediately ran for the gates.

"By this moment they think that they got me, so the gates should be open again". He didn't notice that Discord had entered the room again, and he was really surprised that he survived 'the stare'. He shook his head to mess up his mind to it's usual chaotic form, and followed him out.

When Fernando was at the gates, he saw that even if they had guards, the illumination could hide him well, considering that he was dull in comparison to the usual cheery colors of the ponies. When he exited, he stuck a victory pose with his fist pumped in the sky, and then he returned to the very first city that he had visited in this strange world.

"How is the report, Twilight?" Celestia asked to her pupil

"Everything is good, princess. The human shouldn't be a problem now that Fluttershy used 'the stare' with it" Celestia smiled and looked at Fluttershy, but she didn't look as happy as the others. Sensing what was wrong, the princess went up to her and said

"Fluttershy, I know that you think that it didn't deserve it, but think of it this way. Now you can befriend him more easily" Celestia said the last part turning to where Fernando once was, but she froze in place when she saw the absence of overgrown monkey.

"Yeah, you're right" Fluttershy looked too to where Fernando once was. She too was turned to rock right then. All of the other noticed that something was wrong, and curiously followed their gaze. Everypony in that room had their mouths hanging open. The guards where trying to find a logical reason, like that he was taken to a cell or something, but nopony was prepared to something that resisted the deadliest of the phenomenons of Equestria. Fluttershy was specially affected, especially because she was reminded of the Grand Galloping Gala.

"How is it possible? I thought nothing could resist 'the stare'!" exclaimed Rarity.

"Quick, we need to close down the castle again!" said Celestia, but they all stopped when they heard muttering. It was coming from Fluttershy.

"It resisted my stare, refused my friendship, ignored the love I tried to give it" she was saying this with a blank stare, "but I'm not mad. It had a reason. I only have to find it and take care of it until it knows how to recognize when somepony cares, and then it will be mine... forever. No animal can refuse me. Nothing can refuse me" the ponies where getting scared by Fluttershy's reaction to Fernando's escape. It didn't help that slowly she was giving a small smile, but instead of an usual shy smile, it was one that made all of them give a step back.

In Fluttershy's cottage, back in Ponyville, every animal felt a chill go up their spine, and then proceeded to hide in their homes. They knew this feeling very well, and they didn't want to be close to Fluttershy for the next week if necessary.

"Well, it's getting late, so I think I'll return to my bed" said Rainbow Dash, forgetting about the human runaway for now. Everypony agreed with the idea and returned to their bed as fast as they could, not wanting to be close to Fluttershy. The yellow pegasus stood there, with her gaze still lost in space. After some time of relatively evil ploting, she returned too to her bed, but laughing evilly all the way.