• Published 22nd Sep 2016
  • 516 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Re-Unity - Middle Ground



Diane has finally revealed her identity to her family. What will she do next?

  • ...
 0
 516

Chapter 4 - Negative

Princess Luna told me everything about the Mirror Pool, what happened in Ponyville, and how Diane came to be. Honestly, I am baffled by this. Even Boulder was amazed by such a magic. I don't have too much interest in magic, but this is something I did not expect to happen. Pinkie Pie was always something special to us, her family. But Diane is...something else.

"I have told you all that I know about how Diane came to be. I believe you should return the favor and tell me what you, Maud Pie, know of her." I finished my cup of tea and cleared my throat to answer her question. I had to get my thoughts straight since it has been a very long time.

"I'm not sure if I can answer all of your questions. To be honest, I don't really know Diane all that much myself. Or even who she is exactly. But I will tell you how I know her." Princess Luna nodded, and she was ready to listen.

"It happened when I was very little. For a long time, my sisters and I spent most of our younger years working at the rock farm with our parents. Our parents were hard workers and they strongly kept to their traditions. While we were always busy, we still had our fun days like Hearths Warming Day, Hearts and Hooves Day, and we were very happy. Limestone, who is the same age as Pinkie Pie, is a very hard worker. She's also rough around the edges, but she is protective when she needs to be and can be a great leader. Marble, the youngest one, is very quiet. She's very shy, but she has a way with words at times. I am the oldest one of the four. As I work at the rock farm, I further my knowledge on the many kinds of stones. We were all happy despite most of our days being dark. Well, except for Pinkie Pie. She was very different from us, since she had a pink coat. But despite that, we all loved her very much. We all knew she was something special. But no matter how much we loved her, she never smiled. She always had a sad look on her face and there was always a dark cloud over her head. Ironically, our home was always under dark clouds.... But one day, while we were all working at the rock farm, something happened. A great explosion went off in the sky and a rainbow blew away the dark clouds. We were all really scared of what we saw and thought it was witch craft. But what happened after that was a miracle. Pinkie Pie had changed into something that brought joy and smiles to our family. Her mane and tail was all poofy and her sad face changed into the goofiest smile I have ever seen. She could make any boring day into a party and we would hear cheerful laughter every day. We're not sure what happened, but we were grateful it happened." Princess Luna had then poured me another cup of tea and I took a sip. I was only halfway through my story.

"So Pinkie Pie wasn't always the happy pony Twilight Sparkle befriended. And this explosion in the sky and the rainbow that followed...it must have been the Sonic Rainboom. Only certain Pegasi could actually accomplish such a feat should they fly at great speeds. It must have had an affect on your sister somehow. I'm not sure how though...." So it was a Pegasus who brought the change upon my sister. I'm not sure who it was, but I will always be thankful to that Pegasus.

"You told me that you knew who Diane was. What did you mean exactly...? Did you meet her somehow?" I tried recalling the meeting I had with Diane. But it was a very long time since then and it was very brief. But I could still remember it clearly.

"A year went by after the 'Sonic Rainboom' happened, and nothing else really changed. But one night while we were sleeping, I woke up needing a glass of water. I was very thirsty when I woke up. After I got a glass of water, I then saw Pinkie Pie walking outside and to the nearby river. We use the river grow crops like radishes and other vegetable. I followed her and saw her looking at the river. She was...different at the time. Her mane and tail weren't poofy and her coat was dark. When I approached her, she noticed me and I stopped in my tracks at her stare. I felt so...empty. I felt so...broken. So...negative. I've never felt like that in my life. I remember that feeling too well. I knew she was a completely different pony and I asked who she was. She just told me this...."

"My name...is Diane. But does it matter, sister? I'm not the one you want anyway...." Princess Luna was shocked to hear such words. Even Boulder was uneasy.

"After she spoke those words, she passed out. I gathered her up and took her back inside the house. She slept the entire night and she went back to her happy self in the morning. I'm not sure what happened, but I knew I would meet her again....someday. That is all I can tell you." I was finished with my story. It became silent between the three of us. Princess Luna had a thoughtful expression on her face. Perhaps she is trying to figure out what happened.

"Maud Pie, I might have a theory of how you met Diane when you were younger. The Sonic Rainboom is an explosion of energy that is created by a Pegasus breaking the sound barrier. When a Pegasus does this, an explosion occurs and a rainbow is usually formed. In doing so, this explosion builds up the magic and spreads it for miles. I am not sure of it's effects, but I believe it was the Sonic Rainboom that gave Diane her sentience. The Mirror Pool merely released her from Pinkie Pie when she first stepped into it. If I am to be honest, Diane is most likely the very negative feeling your sister had before the Sonic Rainboom occurred. That should explain the feeling you had when you met her for the first time." This...does explain a few things. Magic is something I am not interested in, but I knew it could do some amazing things. This is truly an amazing thing.

"Since you have met with her again, what do you feel now? Because this negative feeling you speak of is not what I have felt."

"You're right, Princess. That feeling I have felt did not happen at all. It was almost like she was a different pony entirely." I am not surprised that she would understand 'feelings' like I do.

"Maud Pie, I believe there is something we must do regarding Pinkie Pie and Diane Pie. They are the same yet different at the same time. Two sides of the same bit. Positive and Negative. You know of what I speak of, do you?" Boulder and I both agreed, but we were very uneasy.

"Yes, I do. You want them to meet face to face. But why?" I needed to know what could happen should they meet. And I knew Princess Luna had the answer. She remained silent for a moment; this wasn't good.

"I'm afraid....they must return to being whole....once again." When she spoke those words, Boulder and I knew that both Pinkie and Diane's days were numbered.