• Published 29th Aug 2016
  • 247 Views, 1 Comments

Couch Potato's Journal - cottoncandycat12



A collection of short stories about Couch Potato's friends

  • ...
 1
 247

The Lazy Pony

"You are the laziest pony I have ever met!" A voice rang out in the afternoon air, coming from a small restaurant/house in Ponyville. The Mashed Potato was a restaurant owned by one Couch Potato. She had one worker named Ice Blossom who did basically everything besides make the food. That was Couch Potato's job, if she ever got up.

"Don't yell, Ice, I just woke up." The sleepy pony moaned, throwing the blankets back over her head. Ice Blossom huffed and tore the blankets off the bed.

"It's already 2! You haven't even started making the food for tonight!" She stomped her hooves on the ground for emphasis, but it didn't seem to bother Couch Potato. She got up slowly, her mane in a messy bun. She didn't bother brush it and slowly trudged down the stairs with Ice Blossom following close behind.

"Are the tables set?"

"Yes! I finished hours ago!"

"Hmm." Couch Potato stifled a yawn as she walked into the kitchen. All her dishes consisted of potatoes, so the most abundant ingredient that flowed from her cabinets were potatoes. Being an earth pony, she made each and every dish by hand. She dragged over her stool to a corner where most of the unpeeled potatoes and took a seat. Ice looked at her, expecting her to start peeling, but was shocked to see that she was softly snoring away.

"Boss!!" Her shout woke Couch Potato with a start and she almost fell off of the stool. She picked up the peeler and, with the slowest pace ever, began to peel the potatoes.

"Why don't you go take a walk, Ice. Maybe it would get the ants out of your pants." Ice hadn't realized it, but she had begun to pace back and forth as Couch Potato worked.

"You promise that you won't go back to sleep?" She prompted, not sure if she should leave her good-for-nothing boss to take a walk.

"I'll be fine. Go on." She waved her away. Ice Blossom took the employees exit and walked to the park. She took a deep breath, trying to relax. Sure, Couch Potato was very lazy, but somehow she always managed to make her delicious dishes in time for the restaurants night-time opening. Sitting down on a bench, Ice suddenly felt the tension melt into sleepiness. She had woken up quite early to do a little practicing with her ice magic before heading over to the place of her employment. She usually set up the dining room, making sure everything was clean and tidy before customers came in.

Her afternoon, after eating a meal Couch Potato would have cooked for her the night before, would consist of waking up said pony, who seemed to sleep for hours upon hours in her home above the restaurant.

Without realizing, Ice Blossom had fallen asleep on the bench. She was awoken by the sound of a group of children as the arrived at the park to play ball. She shot up, looking at the clock tower in the town and gasped. The restaurant had been open for a full hour! She raced back into town and flung open the door to the restaurant, startling the ponies already eating inside.

"Huh?" She walked in with her mouth open as Couch Potato walked out of the kitchen, tray of food in hoof. Her hair was neatly pulled back into a tight bun and her glasses were actually on her face.

"Oh, hey Ice. Did you have a good walk?" Ice Blossom couldn't get the words out. Somehow, Couch Potato had gotten the food ready and had been prepared to be the waitress.

"W-why didn't you come find me?" She finally stuttered out. Couch Potato delivered the food she was carrying and put a hoof on Ice Blossom's shoulder.

"You seemed like you were tired and needed a break, so I did what I could here without you." Ice Blossom felt her eyes water up as she took in her boss' consideration for her. She followed Couch Potato back to the kitchen and cleaned herself up to start her job for the night.

It was now midnight and the restaurant was closed. Ice Blossom had just finished up cleaning the dining room when she went back to the kitchen were Couch Potato was supposed to be doing the dishes. She smiled as she found the pony leaning against the counter, fast asleep. Using her magic, she put a spare table cloth over her shoulders and shut the light off.

"See you tomorrow, boss." She whispered before exiting the building.