• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 401 Views, 1 Comments

Compersion - Etolia



A lot of good things come in threes. And according to a few ponies out there, so do relationships. But even as a relationship of three can be a wonderful thing, it's by no means free of roadblocks.

  • ...
 1
 401

Epilogue. The USS Buffiolazura

Music. All around them was the sound of music. Viola kept her eyes closed, bowing her violin with her hoof while simultaneously plucking strings and fingering them with a deft wing. It was a complicated piece, yet one all the more fitting because of it; she needed to show her best work while her skills were being broadcast over national radio, after all.

Buffy stood to the side, and in a rare moment, she didn't make a sound. Occasionally, however, she touched Viola's non-bowing hoof lightly to indicate she was getting too close to the microphone. And once she did that, Viola would move back a little but continue playing uninterrupted.

Viola finished with a fortissimo double bowing and a flourish of her hoof. Not even a second after she finished, however, Buffy tacked her in a crushing hug. "Oh my gosh, Vi, that was so awesome and I can't believe I didn't hear the whole thing when I was—"

In an adjoining room, Azura had a view of what was happening in Buffy and Viola's, as well as an audio controller at her hooves. She flicked a cough switch connected to their booth to mute their shenanigans and replaced their sounds with her own voice-over.

"And that, my friends, was Viola of Canterlot performing her latest piece for your listening pleasure. I said she was a virtuoso of all string instruments, didn't I? I can't imagine any of you wouldn't be impressed by that display of skill and musicality! And if you aren't, feel free to submit a complaint to EquestriaLive Radio Productions and we'll be sure that management sees it. Of course, that management is me, and the dumpster out back is the only thing that'll see it, but that's beside the point!

"But it's to my great displeasure to say that we're out of time for today. I'd like to thank Poniverse Incorporated for sponsoring our show, as well as BB, our director, for making this happen. This is Azura Peavielle of EquestriaLive, Equestria's only multi-universal radio show heard 'round Equestria and beyond, telling you to stay friendly and be kind. Have a good night, everypony!"

Another flick of a switch, and the glowing red "NOW BROADCASTING" sign above both Azura's and Buffy and Viola's recording booths turned off. Azura exited her booth only to find Buffy and Viola still in theirs, arguing about something, violin against the wall. She walked in to catch them in the middle of their conversation

"—but you're never sorry about doing that, are you?"

"Of course I am, but you're so talented and squishy and cute that I just have to—"

"Snog her as she protests while another partner of yours wouldn't mind?" Azura interrupted, a wry smile on her face.

In a split second, Buffy turned and launched herself at Azura, capturing her in a hug instead. "Of course not, Azzy, but you weren't there!"

But almost as quickly, Buffy froze in place, with her hooves wrapped around Azura but her face locked in a pensive look. Slowly, she turned to Viola, still on the ground, supine, but not in a hug. "You don't mind, do you, Vi?" she asked.

As Viola got to her feet and brushed herself off, she was wearing a small but rare and unsolicited smile. Not of awkward embarrassment or infectious delight from Buffy's machinations, but of simple and humble gratitude. She shook her head in a subtle but clear motion. "But I'm next, Buffy."

"Oooh!" Buffy redoubled her hug with Azura and said, "More hugs for me and you and everypony!"

"So, I heard you two had an argument, huh?" Azura asked.

"Yeah, maybe a small one," Buffy replied while rolling the two of them over. "But we've worked it all out, right, Viola?"

"If that's what you call a 'small' argument, I don't want to be there when you have a large one," Viola said. "But yes. Mostly."

Mostly?" Azura raised an eyebrow. "Eh, I'll talk with you guys about it later," she said while pushing Buffy's hooves away and getting up. "I've got some sign-out sheets and other boring documentation to finish before we can leave, so you two don't break anything while you're in here, yeah? Stuff's expensive. I'll be in the mixing room if you need me; just knock." And with that, Azura strode out of the door and let it swing back closed.

Both ponies kept looking at the door for a few moments before either of them talked. "So you don't hate Azura anymore?" Buffy asked hopefully.

Viola's face twisted into a grimace for just a moment. "Hate is a bit of a strong word. I don't know yet, especially when we haven't even had a decent conversation as friends yet, let alone lovers." Viola rubbed at her breastbone. She stopped suddenly and looked down at her hoof, then back up. She put her hoof down, and her next words were more halting. "Ah, to tell you the truth, Buffy, I am a bit nervous about that part. I don't know if she and I would get along like you and I do."

Buffy's mouth morphed into a large "O." She closed her mouth and said, "Oh, that's okay, Vi. You don't need to love love each other. I just don't want my two bestest partners in the world to not like each other. Maybe the two of you should go on your own friendly date sometime, so you can get to know each other better." She stepped forward and gave Viola a gentle hug. "Thanks for telling me, Vi."

Buffy and Viola remained in their hug as the door opened again. "Aaaand, done!" Azura announced at the doorway. "We're free to go. I got the rest of the day off, so you want to do anything today?"

Buffy's voice was muffled by plenty of fur and wing. "Hug?" she suggested.

Azura chuckled and snaked her way into the hug, making it a three-way. "There are so many hours left in the day, Buffy. You seriously suggesting we waste the rest of the day away just hugging? There has to be more than that."

"Make out?" she suggested next.

Viola made a sound from her throat not unlike that of a pony throwing up. "B-Buffy! You cannot be serious!" she chastised in a hushed whisper. "That's not a meet thing to say in good company, let alone here! There are ponies still working here, and they might hear what we're doing. You would suggest that we—" She attempted to break the hug and stand up, but both Buffy and Azura kept her hooves tight.

"Hate to break it to you, Viola, but the booths are pretty well soundproofed," Azura said. "They lock from the inside, too."

"Oh, and there are fluffy blankets hanging on the wall over there! Is that what they're for?" Buffy said.

"Nah, that's for echo reduction. But I mean, they're pretty multipurpose. Probably wouldn't be the first time somepony's done that." Azura coughed. "I may have also accidentally booked these rooms for three hours instead of two."

Save the two ponies in the room with her, there was nopony else to hear what Viola said next.

"Azura‼"

Comments ( 1 )

Well now, this was certainly a splendidly put together fic, especially given the unusual subject matter. As a character piece it was phenomenal, though I did find myself wanting to learn a bit more about Azura in future pieces (she was just a BIT of a third wheel here and plot device, not too much, but a bit, though the fic would have been considerably longer I'm sure if there were more of her). But as a sequel to Viola's first fic, it was outstanding. I'll have more to say once contest results are released, but know that I loved every minute of this fic and you truly did a wonderful job!

Login or register to comment