• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 346 Views, 6 Comments

Feyspeak - WritingSpirit



A travelling magician meets a young, precocious filly in the middle of the night.

  • ...
 6
 346

Trochlea

"Sjaihm... naud sja Th'murgan... sprekihm... Th'murgan..."

"Feyspeak, filly."

His tone may be grave, but his frown divulged the volume of concern that came with it, and it came with good reason. She was already paling into a lighter shade of white, her shivers as fervent as her ragged breathing. Her eyes could barely prop themselves open, with cold, syringadenous rivers running around them and amassing into stains upon the raggedy sheets. Her pupils couldn't even find him until he stepped forward and carefully placed his hoof onto her lithe form, tensing at its gripping chill.

"Where... where..."

"A town," he said. Of sorts, he wanted to add. "We shall be here until the eve of your recovery."

"But I... I have to..."

"No more chasing myths," he sighed, clasping her hoof tighter. "Filly, you seek of something long lost. You seek what many had come to know as memory. I know I could never convince you out of it, but you have to realize that they are never coming back. You have to realize that we have been left to fend for ourselves. The sooner you realize it, filly, the better."

"But... they... my father..."

"Your father?" Gwendolyn piped in, much to his chagrin. "What of your father? What more does he know of—"

"She needs more rest, Gwendolyn," the zebra cut in, hoof outstretched to stop the gryphoness in her tracks. "We shouldn't strain her any further. The answers must come later. For now, she needs to recuperate, as do the both of you."

With defeated yet firm nods, both magician and gryphoness joined him in striding down the hallway and back to the living room. The shack was larger than it looked at first glance, with several doors leading into spacious rooms such as the one the filly was resting in, though it lacked the decorum to appeal to his senses, that is, unless if he would even begin to consider the dangling flasks above his head and the assortment of skulls on the walls glaring down at them as such. Seating themselves onto rattan chairs, the front door swung open as Avery stepped inside and took a seat for himself, giving a curt nod as he did so.

"Been a while since I have guests," the zebra remarked, heading into a confined depository which served as a kitchen. "I have to say, Gwendolyn, you do have to let me know in advance before you decide to have your little soiree, and with a sickly filly in your stead no less. You certainly do know how to make things er... lively, so to speak."

"I shall do my best to inform you prior to our next encounter," she teased.

"Now then, my fellow guests, I'm afraid I do not have any edibles to spare. This one cannot find the time to venture out the walls and forage these days, not with how aggressive the beasts outside the walls are becoming in recent days. Oh, but I do have my selection of teas! Honeysuckle or raspberry?"

"The former will do," the magician said.

"Avery and I would have the latter," the gryphoness added, with said pony nodding alongside her.

He was a quick brewer, as his kind often are. Gwendolyn would have his head for viewing in such a deprecatory manner, though he begged to differ. After all, there must be some truth to one's preconceived image, and he was rather certain such an image was harmless in contrast to the many other views spread about them. The zebras were famed for their many decoctions and their rather eccentric laws of theology, derived from an amalgamation of pagan ideals. The larger clans in particular were remembered as voracious conquerors, all of them borne of the rampant assimilation of the smaller tribes, and if it were not for their constant infighting over what land they had already shared, he was certain they'd attempt to conquer Equestria as well. Not that they would succeed, of course.

"So he's..."

"The only doctor here in Gloomshire," Avery answered. "Before Zaidi, we've had all kinds of fits. Ringworms, mud fevers, colics and boils— you name an illness, I can guarantee you'll find someone in town who's been through 'em. Ain't much help that all of the scum that came from every part of the world was bringin' a little more of it with them too. Lost count of how many funerals I had to attend for some filly that a week ago was happily prancin' down the street, and it didn't help knowing that any of her friends could be next. Have to admit, there was lotta rough talk when he came into town, but once he treated the Wranglers' colt free of his spell, everyone got around to him quickly. Even the bad apples in this town too— can't recall how many times I have to stand guard here just because some ruffian had a bad cut in his shins from some fight he had over a ladyfriend of his."

"Life itself has a general disposition for survival, I reckon."

"You could say that. To me, I just think Gloomshire wouldn't be Gloomshire without Zaidi here. Sure, it ain't the best soundin' thing I could've said 'bout him, but folks around town all owe him somethin', no matter who we are or where we came from, each and every one of us just needs to find some way of paying it all back."

"And I have said many times before, there is no need to do that, Avery," the zebra said, serving upon an oaken tray their respective beverages, to which the magician eyed with a fervent suspicion. "It is merely my duty to treat my patients accordingly, whomever they may be. There shall not be any need for gratitude, my friend. Now I do hope it is to each of your liking. I tried to cleanse the blight from the leaves as best as I could, though I fear it may not be enough. The toxins in the earth had not been kind to the verdure this past month."

"It is still better than anything the local tavern would ever dream to have," Gwendolyn assured before taking the first sip from the cup. "Mmm, some of us may enjoy a flagon or two there, but this... oh, one would not hesitate to delight themselves in some lighter pleasantries from time to time, especially when it concerns your brews, my friend."

"Can't argue with that one, bud," Avery added, eagerly downing his. "Deputy would say I'm one with expensive taste, but I'd rather die drinking one of your teas over whatever grog they're servin' at the tavern any day."

The room was filled with lukewarm laughter, save for the magician's. Rather, his gaze had trailed back to the welt and gash marks across the zebra's hide he had noticed before. They were marked by a serrated blade, deep enough to graze an artery or two, yet there was a finesse to it, for he was certain that whoever did that knew not to pierce into them, lest their victims bleed to death and consequently end their suffering early. There were a few groups from up north whom he knew possessed such techniques for torture, though what information they would require from a zebra eluded him— a notion that perturbed him greatly.

"As I said. Lively." the zebra chuckled, before turning towards him. "Well, how was it? I take it you find the brew to your liking, stranger?"

The magician stared down into his cup, where his pale shade of cynicism stared back underneath a veil of chartreuse. With a discernible hesitation, he slowly brought it to his lips and took a diminutive sip, his taste buds listlessly tossing them around between his jaws, all while staring vehemently into the zebra's eyes. Gwendolyn's darkening frown might be the first sign he was doing something right, though Zaidi remained unfazed, his grin only widening in lieu of disdain.

"I'm glad you found it befitting of your tastes, Th'murgan."

All the magician could do was tighten his smile. "As do I," he responded in turn, glancing past the zebra's shoulder to Gwendolyn. "You two seem to be well acquainted with each other."

"Ah, yes," Zaidi mused, settling down in the final empty chair. "It was during an encounter with some blackguards in the tavern, I believed. Back then, I did not have my abode, you see, so I frequented the tavern's guest rooms— not the best of amenities, but I preferred it over the streets. Anyway, they were rather adamant that I join their little band of theirs, surely to tend to their 'bruises' after they rough up a few of their 'associates'. Of course, they didn't take it too kindly when I refused their request—"

"And Gwendolyn just so happened upon your squabble."

"That she did. Until this day, I still believe it could've been settled without bloodshed, Gwendolyn," the zebra turned to face her now apathetic stare. "You didn't need to dispose them as you did. It was quite a mess to clean too, I'll have you know."

"I would spare them were it not for their provocations."

"Their threats were empty, you know that."

"Then they should know not to make such threats, much less flaunt them around."

"No matter how many times I try, it will never get to you, will it?" Zaidi sighed as he strode back into the kitchen. "Not that I am ungrateful for all that you have done for me, but there comes a time where you must rise above the precepts of violence and murder that dictate the very actions of miscreants, Gwendolyn. I can only hope that day arrives soon, for your sake."

"There must also come a time where said miscreants cease harassing you for their sake. Until that time comes, I shall do what I must."

"Now, now, let's not get into any petty arguments," Avery stepped in, before turning to the gryphoness. "Still, Gwen, I'm sure you might want a good rest and depart come the next sunrise, but you see, there are some things you need to spill the beans about, particularly with your 'illusionist' friend here and the filly."

"Avery, the illusionist and I shall only be here until the filly recovers—"

"If this town is to shelter you for even a night, I firmly believe it would be best to know whatever hullabaloo it is you are dealin' with, just in case. Right now, I only have your word for it, but from the stuff I've seen you do, I know that this ain't just another trip that just so happens to concern the Last Thaumaturge— him, of all ponies, and a filly."

"Particularly the filly, Gwendolyn," Zaidi agreed, his eyes narrowing at that prospect. "For one, you seem strangely fixated onto her, and I trust that, with your judgement, she is not just another filly, much like how your friend here is not another... illusionist, as you've boldly claimed."

"To be frank if I may, I too do not know of what this gryphoness needs of the filly," the magician spoke up even as Gwendolyn glared at him. "In addition, the filly and I merely met in coincidence— we are gathered together by chance, for the decision was made by fate and fate alone. I wish I can say the same of our encounter with Gwendolyn, though I am strongly suspecting otherwise."

"That makes three of us then. Now, my dear Gwendolyn, kindly tell us, if you will."

The hesitation was palpable. Were it him and him alone, the magician was certain she would refuse him the answers he craved. Perhaps she'd even resort to telling him falsehoods merely to cull his suspicions; knowing the gryphons and their aptitude for subterfuge, it would not be so much of a surprise. With no less of a defeated and disgruntled sigh, Gwendolyn slunk back into her chair and set her cup down, her distant gaze slowly rising up to meet theirs.

"I have reason to believe that the filly might be the key to bringing back the Awyrgorn."

Silence.

"You're kiddin'," Avery spoke first.

Gwendolyn sternly shook her head, even as Zaidi leaned in.

"And you know this how?"

"Honestly? It began as a collection of prognostications," came her answer. "There was an arrangement I had with a cavalcade as an escort to protect them in their journey through the Eastern Runs to the border. They are a rather eccentric group, but chief among them was this equine augur that hailed from one of the northwestern cities, maybe Saddlebow's Arch or Tantiville. She offered to tell me my fortune as a method of thanking me. Initially, I did not think much of it at first, until Zaidi and I took upon an assignment involving rebuilding homes for some caprine refugees. You remember that one, Zaidi?"

"The town of Loch Carragh. Would never forget that place, especially after seeing how hard it was hit by the plague." The zebra paused, ears perking. "Ah, if I recalled correctly, we did encounter him there, didn't we? Blind one, rather eccentric, hard of hearing at times. Quite the rambler too."

"The haruspex, yes. Do you remember what he said?"

"He was repeating the rumors that had been circulating around. Something about a paradise where the sun and moon was pure as they were in the days long past."

"Yes, but it was the way he said it that intrigued me," she pointed out. "He said 'southward, where the light shall arrive from this burning world; whence the search will finally be over and we shall all remain.' Do you all not see it?"

"I can't understand what you're gettin' at, Gwen," Avery said, scratching his head. "That rumor's been spread around so many times, we'd all be goners if it was a wildfire."

"He said the light shall arrive instead of saying that it shall return."

For the answer to come from the magician had surprised them, save for Gwendolyn, if her smirk was of any indication. With all eyes turned to him, he gave a brusque sigh at himself, before resuming his explanation.

"Rightfully, should one believe those rumors, the sunlight should be returning instead. For him to use the word 'arrive' would imply that the coming daylight was never here in the first place, which would be utterly erroneous. That is, unless he was not referring to the sunlight directly."

"Correct. That peculiarity comes not only from the haruspex— I had requested my connections to seek into them and many other diviners were saying the same thing. The minotaur harbingers, the zebra sangomas, the draconian seers, even a Diamond Dog soothsayer! In all these variations, they all mentioned the daylight arriving instead of returning, which makes me believe that this 'daylight' they were referring to is a metaphor for something else entirely."

"And you think that 'something else' might be this filly, Gwendolyn?"

"That is where the augur from earlier comes in," the gryphoness answered Zaidi. "She said that I would find somepony, and that I would aid this pony in their search. She said the search itself might be very important, particularly for everyone here that 'remained', but that it was my choice whether to join this search or not. Now, setting aside my involvement in this, that part tied in with the haruspex's words in the end. It leads me to thinking they were talking about the filly's search for the Awyrgorn."

"Now, why would a filly as young as her be doin' that?" Avery asked, his voice noticeably grimmer. "No one's seen an Awyrgorn ever since... well, everythin'!"

"I don't know, but from what my connections told me about her, I am inclined to believe she may have knowledge of where they might be."

"And about her actually bringing back them back?" Zaidi questioned. "How did that come about? How do we know that she was not searching for them for reasons otherwise?"

"That one came from some of my informant friends as I was looking into these prophecies." She lowered her voice. "Supposedly, insiders from the cults in the north were reporting that Jörmungandr's worshipers were becoming restless around the same time these prophecies were coming to light. The ranks in them have been shifting recklessly and their leaders are apparently looking to expand their reach. Some of the reports stated that it was because Jörmungandr had gave out some sort of divine injunction, though none of them know exactly what it is, word by word."

"And you believe that and the filly had to be related somehow?" The zebra's skepticism was palpable. "I do not wish to say this, but it may just be a coincidence, Gwendolyn. They might just be parallel events that coexist but never correlate."

"No, there might be a certain truth to that," the magician spoke up again despite his grimace. "I firmly believe that should Jörmungandr realize the same about the filly's search for the Awyrgorn, it would call upon its worshipers to track her down. Perhaps it will not be a stretch to presume that Jörmungandr itself would pursue her personally should it decide to."

It would not be a stretch at all, for he had witnessed it happen right before his very eyes. Such a sight had been deemed implausible, yet for it to pursue them as it did, with what Gwendolyn had disclosed in mind, it would be prudent to assume that Jörmungandr does actually have a reason to fear the filly — that her search for the Awyrgorn may very well be successful. It was a frivolous prospect, to be sure, though he could not overlook the growing sense of elation beneath his chest. He quickly trampled them, having known the treacherous temptations of hope.

No more shall they find a place in him, nor should they find a place in anyone else.

"So we have a filly who may or may not be able to bring back the Awyrgorn," Zaidi concluded, deep in thought. "And alongside her, you have the pony many had come to know as the Last Thaumaturge. That alone would be concerning, but we also have the idea of Jörmungandr and his worshipers possibly involved in this... well then..."

"I don't see this endin' well," Avery remarked grimly with hooves crossed. "Especially if it turned out that the filly won't bring them back after all."

"But what else is there?" Gwendolyn retorted. "What else would this world ever give to us, if it ever has anything else to give at all? What else could be any worse than the way we are living right now? Do you not remember how it was like then? Do you not remember what we had lost alongside the Awyrgorn?"

"There is no indication that the Awyrgorn would ever bring them back should they return."

"There is no indication that they would not do as such either, Zaidi!" she argued. "Look, I know... I know I may just be clutching at straws here, but this may be it. I really believe she may be the one who would bring our old lives back and I am willing to help, in any way I can, to see that she does find the Awyrgorn! At least I know that even if they would not heed our pleas, I can take heart in the fact that I had expended all my effort in doing so! I do not want to give this up! Not in the slightest!"

"Alright, alright!" the zebra chuckled amid his contemplation. "Seeing as you are really convinced at this notion, it would not be too profound to accompany you in your travels, that I can accede."

"What?" the magician snapped, earning a look of bewilderment from Zaidi. "What do you mean, to accompany us in our travels?"

"Well, it is, after all, your reason to be here now, is it not?"

"Stop, just stop!" he interposed, standing up with the lurch of his chair and spilling from his lips everything that was welling in his gut. "What do you all think this is?! What, you think this to be some adventure that calls for a merry band to just prance about and sing the most sickening of cheerful chorales along the way?! That we could just bring any gryphon or minotaur or zebra along if it so pleases you?! This is not some buffoonery about something as nonsensical as bringing back the Awyrgorn! This is to return the filly back to her father's stead!"

"Oh, all of the sudden, you care about the filly now?"

"I care about the fact that you are willing use a filly to indulge in the most heretical of fantasies!" he snarled, stomping up to Gwendolyn. "No filly should ever have to adhere to your babble and balderdash! Have you not listened to yourself?! The Awygorn, returning?! Pah! Do you know not the sheer puerility of that baseless allegation?! Are you willing to throw one filly's life away in search of hope?!"

"Then you tell me, Th'murgan, what else is there?!" Gwendolyn screeched, rising up to him with talons drawn. "What could a filly like her possibly be hoping for if not to see the Awyrgorn?! What could a filly ever gain from a world willing to toss the lives of many like her aside?! What could a filly ever dream from this damned world?! Tell me, what can she do?!"

"It is not your decision to make!"

"And you concluded that decision was to be yours?! You take her to her father, then what?! What would you do then, Th'murgan? What could you possibly hope to achieve from that?!"

"A filly shall return to her father, Gwendolyn!" he yelled, aghast. "There should be nothing more than to reunite the parent and his child! This is not about achieving something great! This is not about saving this world or bringing back the sun or any other outlandish scenario that little head of yours would fabricate!"

"And say you succeed. Then what? Jörmungandr and its deranged worshipers are in pursuit of her anyway, are they not? Should we bring her back there, they would perish before the week ends. Both of them. And they will perish because of you."

"No, they will not."

"You seek to protect them, is that it?"

Those words struck him, and they struck hard. His form quickly withered, his gaze rattled and downcast. The words that were fanned by his ire remained bubbling between his teeth, seeping out only in breathless nickers. A dull and distant rumble curdled beneath his ribs, floundering senselessly with the desperation of a beached fish. He knew it to be rage, harrowing and damaging, and with that knowledge he administered to it a dose of self-restraint, though it remained thrashing against its cage before the contemptible sneer of the gryphoness.

"You know not of saving a life, I know that much. I have seen the misdeeds you have committed, Th'murgan, and I will not let this filly fall prey to them as many did," she asserted, turning away. "If you truly want the best for her, you would relieve yourself of your guardianship over her. Now then, if you will excuse me, I shall head out to replenish our supplies. I hope you would wisely spend this time perusing your options, Th'murgan."

Gwendolyn strutted out the front door with nary a passing glance. It took a little longer before the magician settled back into his seat with a tut, disregarding the presentiments expressed from the other two in the room. With a quiet nod of his head and an uneasy grin, Avery soon took his leave, closing the door behind him as he did so. Silence swooped in upon his absence, and for a while it remained there, though it was soon inelegantly shattered when Zaidi cleared his throat.

"I should mention that I have prepared the guest bedchambers on the second floor to accommodate you along with Gwendolyn and the filly until she fully recovers," the zebra stated. "If there should be anything you may require, you need not hesitate to let me know."

"Rest assured, you shall not hear such requests from me."

"This one figures as much," his words echoed, alongside the following chuckle, disdain. "There really is no need to harbor enmities of any sort. We are all acquaintances here, Th'murgan. Gwendolyn may be a gryphoness and I may be a zebra, but we have only well intentions for the filly. We have that much in common, my friend."

"Do not consolidate me into this little bevy of yours, zebra," the magician growled. "I have no intentions of acquiescing with whatever arrangements you two have made without me, and should I recognize an attempt of persuasion amid these palavers, I will not rest here any longer and the filly shall be coming with me."

"Of course, of course. Speaking of which, the concerns you have for the filly made me concur to have you know this in advance: I shall be tending to her further in the small hours of the night. I will be seeing to it that she will suffer in her slumber no more."

"And I shall expect you to keep your word."

Zaidi's ensuing nod came with a confidence that only further soured his mood. With the zebra wandering off into one of the backrooms, the magician sighed and closed his eyes, the reprieve of silence that he had heralded never amounting to the burdening whirlpool of thoughts swirling endlessly in his head. The words of a gryphoness should never have discomposed him in the way it did, not with all that he had already been through, yet the blustering echoes still lingered. His eyes opened once more, gazing once again to the sky beyond the shanty roof as he searched for a calm, and it came quickly, for he retrieved from those fathomless depths a face that he knew would always bring a sense of consolation. And to it, he whispered those soothing words.

"Embrace me."
.
.
.
.
.


.
.
.
.
.

"Mother had sought for you again."

A shadow.

A different shadow.

Once more.

"Yes, she did. Her worries for you are immense."

"Then you may inform her in the future that her worries are horridly misplaced, as they always tend to be."

"I will, perhaps, though I believe it is best conveyed as only a child would to their parent. Perhaps you should personally assuage her. It remains to be seen how she would react, but I do think she would be very much content should you proceed to do as such."

"I have nothing to say to her."

"Woeful, this child."

"Need I not mention that I have attempted to do so before and her interrogations remained?"

"A mother's vexation is tenacious. You shan't fault her for that."

"I desire from her only trust."

"Then you'll be glad to know that she desires the same. Trust is a bridge, Th'murgan, and right now that bridge may very well be on the verge on the collapse. I could only hope you would see to it that it shall never be the case."

Those parting words were ominous, though he could not care any less for it. He knew only to look ahead, and look ahead he shall. The clouds ahead of him were darkening, and he knew it came not from the coming night. The horizon was nearing, that he knew; he just never realized how drastic of a change it would be. Even more so, he never realized how drastic of a change it would bring to him, and with it, the rest of the world.

What have you done, mother of mine?

Author's Note:

Welp, this took a while to come out, sorry about that! Long conversations are not exactly my forte, so I spent most of the time ruminating over them and constantly replaying the dialogue over and over and over and... yeah, hope this one turned out alright.