• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 590 Views, 5 Comments

Arrival in Ponyville - MrSuffix



Theoden and his son arrive in Ponyville, meet a familiar mare, and settle in for the night. A series of short stories set in the Gentlemenverse.

  • ...
0
 5
 590

New Beginnings, Old Wounds

The traincar swayed slightly, jostling its riders as it rounded a bend. This caused my son to mumble softly, adjusting in his seat, head falling against my side. I gently brushed his thick blonde hair out of his eyes, letting my hand come to rest on the back of his head. Were he awake, he probably would have protested this gesture of affection. I felt a smile creep onto my face. I glanced up to see a white unicorn in the seat opposite us watching with big blue eyes, a copy of the Canterlot Gazzette held loosely in her hooves. An elegant cascade of violet ran down the side of her face, and she tossed her head slightly as she met my gaze, matching my smile.

“How old is he?” She asked softly, folding the newspaper neatly on her lap.

“He’s 9.” I responded, a bit louder than she. “He was pretty tired when we left Manehatten this morning, so I don't think you'll wake him.” As if to protest my remark, the little boy slid his feet out to the side and curled up on the seat beside me, resting his cheek on my leg. I grabbed my coat from the hanger next to the aisle and draped it over him. He mumbled something that sounded like ‘thank you’. The pony across from us made an appreciative noise.

“He is simply adorable.” She glanced up at me, “What is his name?”

“Marik.”

“Lovely.” The unicorn extended a hoof, which I grasped, noting the slight suction its underside exerted on my palm. “I am Rarity.” Her smile made her eyes sparkle. I inclined my head.

“It’s good to meet you, Rarity. My name is Theo, Theo Frost.” I released her hoof, gently placing my hand on Marik’s shoulder.

Rarity leaned back, stretching slightly. “So, what brings you to Equestria, Mr. Frost?”

“I’m moving here, actually. Marik and I are headed to our new home in Ponyville. We sent most of our luggage ahead already, so we could travel light.”

Rarity raised her eyebrows as I spoke. “What an interesting coincidence. I am a resident of Ponyville myself.” Her brow creased. “You must be moving into Smooth Sailing’s old house on the edge of town.”

“Yes, I believe that was the name. As I understand it, she was moving to Appleloosa to be nearer to her grandchildren.”

Rarity sighed, nodding. “Yes, she had a rather nasty spill outside Town Hall about a year ago. She hasn’t been the same since, poor dear. But let’s not dwell on such things. So, what do you do, Mr. Frost?”

“Well, I was training to be a biology teacher back on Earth. I’m not a certified educator yet. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what it will entail, but I’m coming on as a teaching assistant at the Ponyville schoolhouse.”

“So you’ll be working with Cheerilee!” Rarity’s voice filled with warmth. “She is a wonderful mare. Nothing matters more to her than her students. I’m sure you’ll get along well.”

“I’m looking forward to it.”

____

With a clatter and screech of steel, the train came to a stop, the conductor calling all Ponyville passengers to disembark. I shook Marik lightly as Rarity got up.

“Hey, kiddo, time to get up.” Marik grumbled and opened his eyes a crack. “We’re almost there. Just a little further.”

“Carry me?” Marik yawned before closing his eyes and snuggling back into my lap. Sighing, I shared a look with Rarity, who seemed to be suppressing a chuckle, and scooped the boy up, one arm under his shoulder, the other supporting his knees. He laid his head on my chest, and in a moment he was snoring lightly again.

“You, my friend, are wrapped around that child’s finger.” Rarity fell into step beside me as we exited. The train depot was small, and a few other ponies were greeting friends and family or grabbing luggage from the pile near the engine.

I looked down fondly at my only son. “You’re probably right, but at moments like this, I can’t bring myself to care.”

As we made our way out to the street, I realized that the directions to Smooth Sailing’s old house had been sitting on the seat beside Marik, and I had forgotten to stick it back in my pocket before leaving the train. I turned as the whistle blew and the train pulled away from the station. I bit back a curse, trying hard not to lose my temper in front of my future neighbor. Rarity picked up on my expression almost immediately. “Is everything alright, Mr. Frost?”

For a moment, I considered lying and saying I was fine, but the calm, pragmatic part of my brain soundly clubbed that thought and tied it up behind my hypothalamus. Struggling to keep my voice even, I said, “I forgot the directions.”

Rarity smiled graciously. “I’ll show you the way.”

I nodded, already feeling embarrassment creep into my chest. Despite struggling for 34 years, I still hadn’t gotten a handle on my anger. “Thank you,” I croaked, feeling heat rise in my cheeks. “I’ll make it up to you.”

“Don’t be silly,” Rarity admonished, leading me down the darkened avenue, “what sort of friend would I be if I left you here on your own, especially with a child?”

Recovering as best I could, I smiled weakly. The unicorn turned to look back at me. “If you want to do something to repay me, tell me a little more about yourself.”

“What would you like to know?” As we walked I made note of the street layout. The space between houses was much greater than I was used to, and the roads weren’t paved. It was like stepping back in time and dousing everything in vibrant colors. Rarity walked close beside me, occasionally nudging me around loose rocks I could trip on.

“Tell me something interesting - something not work-related. What do you enjoy doing in your leisure time?”

I cleared my throat, adjusting Marik, whose head was starting to slip backward. “I’ve always been fond of reading on my own - nonfiction, fantasy, science fiction. When Marik is around we go to parks, ride bikes together, swordfight in the back yard. Spending time with him is important to me since,” I swallowed, awkwardly changing direction, “coming to Tellus.”

Rarity led me across a moonlit bridge over a merrily bubbling stream. Her hooves clicked softly on the stone. “Will Marik be attending school with the fillies?”

“Yes, he’ll be starting in a few days.”

We turned down another street. Across the stream I could see Ponyville Town Hall, lights aglow despite the late hour. “He’ll be with my little sister, Sweetie Belle, then.”

“How are the children here? Are they accepting of new students?” I must have let some worry creep into my voice, because Rarity stopped, carefully examining my face. “I just… He’s always had a little trouble making friends, and I don’t want him to be unhappy here.”

Rarity smiled again, and I found myself relaxing even before she spoke. “He’ll be fine, Mr. Frost, have no fear.” She placed a hoof on my arm, gently steering me forward. “Come on.”

As we rounded another bend, the white unicorn spoke again. “Did you leave any family back on Earth?”

“Just my mother. My young brother and sister already live on Tellus. Believe it or not, my brother works for the US embassy in Canterlot, and my sister is a veterinarian in Hoofington.”

“Have you been to see them since you arrived?”

I shook my head. “No. They’re both quite busy, and we came by way of Manehattan.” Rarity nodded and we continued in silence for a few moments before she gestured towards a house on our left.

“Here we are, Mr. Frost.”

The house was modest-sized, with a painted green door, built of yellow stone and thatched with with some sort of soft-looking plant material that only vaguely resembled straw. The windows were pony height, framed in green, with little empty flower boxes beneath them. A tiny garden behind a low picket fence stood ready for planting. I felt my heart in my throat as tears prickled the corners of my eyes.

“We’re home, baby.”

Rarity touched my elbow, and I looked down, startled. For a moment I had forgotten she was there. I turned my head away quickly in an effort to hide my tears. With a fake cough, I approached the door. “Would you mind getting the door for me, Miss Rarity?”

The unicorn trotted up beside me, her horn glowing as the doorknob turned of its own accord. She stood in the door as I stepped into the living room, surveying our new home. Most of our belongings were still in boxes, but the sofa was pushed up against the far wall. Two doors in that back wall led to Marik’s and my bedrooms, and I could see the kitchen and bathroom set in the right wall. The left wall had a row of windows looking out over the little stream and the rolling hills beyond. I carried Marik into his room, the one further from the front door, noting that there was a short hallway connect our rooms as well. His bed had already been set up and made, and his favorite stuffed triceratops, Naomi, was perched next to his pillow. I silently thanked the movers as I gently placed him on the bed, pulling the sheets up to his chin. As I did this, his eyes fluttered open.

“I was on the beach with mom.” I bent over and kissed him on the forehead, trying to hide my tears.

“Were you having fun?” I asked huskily, unable to swallow the lump in my throat.

“Yeah.” He blinked sleepily. “Is it okay if I go back there for a little while?”

My heart thudded hard, and I had to compose myself for a moment. “Yeah, go ahead, sweetheart. I’ll see you in the morning.” Marik nodded and snuggled down into his sheets. I stood up, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand.

“I love you, dad.”

I turned at the door. “I love you, too, son. Sleep tight.”

Rarity was waiting on the threshold at the front door. I approached her, donning my best smile, hoping she would miss my tearstained cheeks. Her eyes searched my face, sympathetic and concerned. “How long?” She asked, without preamble. I knew what she was asking.

“Six months.” I sniffed, liquid leaking down my face again. “It’s been hard. That’s why I moved here… Everything reminded me of her.” I shook my head, tiny droplets falling away from my face. “But even here, it still hurts.” I covered my eyes, embarrassed by my weakness.

Two soft forelegs wrapped around my shoulders, drawing me into a warm embrace. I pressed my face into the white fur of her neck, stifling my sobs. She held me there for several minutes, gently stroking my hair and humming softly, until I recovered enough to take a shaky breath.

“Thank you.” My voice was thick, and I had no doubt my eyes were red and swollen.

“Think nothing of it, my dear.” Rarity wiped a hoof across my cheek. “If there’s anything I can do, please don’t hesitate to ask.” She dropped down from the reared position she'd taken to embrace me as she turned to leave. I caught her hoof in my hand, embarrassment welling in me again. She waited patiently for me to find my voice, which was in a sorry state when I located it.

“Could you stay?” I asked quietly. “Just for a little while? I don't want to be alone right now.”

Rarity nodded and allowed me to lead her into the living room.

We talked for a long while, what seemed like hours, and I mostly maintained my composure. We discussed Ponyville, primarily the mares closest to Rarity. I showed her photographs from my son’s birthday and my anniversary. We didn't touch on painful subjects until I happened across a picture of my wife standing beside a wizened old tree on a rocky hillside. She wore an easy smile, her flaming red hair cascading down her shoulders. Her left hand rested against the millennia old trunk, while her right was on the back of her neck, fingers in her mane. I had caught her in an organic moment, free of any self-consciousness or worry. This was my favorite picture of her, and I looked down on the burnished wood frame, a hollow ache in my heart.

“What was she like?”

I sighed, awash in grief once more. “Pure. Every moment with her was an expression of truth. There was no subterfuge between us, we just… were.” I drew a shaky breath. “Even when she was angry, I never had to guess why. Even when I was at my worst, she still loved me. I could have searched for a hundred years and never met another woman like her.”

I allowed Rarity to put a foreleg around my shoulders and draw me to her chest. I let my cheek rest against her neck, feeling the corded muscles flex beneath her soft fur. I murmured something, but it didn't quite come out coherently, and by the time I uttered it I had forgotten its original intent. Rarity’s voice lulled me into exhausted, dreamless sleep.

“She seems nice.” My wife's voice breathed close to my ear. I reached out and touched her cheek, running my hand along her familiar jaw. Sweet lips pressed against mine, soft but firm. “I never thought it would be a mare I found you snuggled up against.”

“It's not like that-” I began before her lips interrupted me again.

“I know, baby. I appreciate her being here for you, since… you know.”

I did know. “I'm sorry, dovelet.” I felt her eyes on me. “I came here sort of hoping to forget you. Missing you hurts so much, and part of me wishes it would just stop, even if that meant not remembering the good times.”

“You won't forget me.” She kissed my forehead. “I know you. You're not the type to forget. Just be sure you really know before you move on. I don't want this lovely girl to just be your rebound mare.” I opened my mouth to protest. “I won't forgive you if you just jump into bed with anyone, mister. Now, sleep while you can.”

And I did.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, dear reader. I don't know if I'll continue this particular foray into fan fiction, but I'm curious as to where this might go. Technical and creative feedback are welcome.