• Published 30th Jul 2016
  • 3,388 Views, 69 Comments

The Night Mare's Guard - Shadow Quill



The Changelings haven't been sitting idle the three years they haved been gone. Now they're back and better than ever, with their sights set squarely on the alicorns of Equestria. One dark mare, shrowded in mystery, sits right in the crosshairs.

  • ...
21
 69
 3,388

5 The New Shadow Sword

Training under Shining Armor wasn’t a picnic by any meaning of the word. I had to get up before dawn and push my body to the limit every day of the week. He made me fly until my wings felt like they were going to fall off and work my weather magic until I had nothing left. Lunch was barely passable as food, and the water he allowed me to drink tasted like it had been taken directly from the castle washroom. The only respite I got was when he let me go for the afternoon, by which time I was so sore and drained of magic that I could barely stand up. If it hadn’t been for Sunstreaker, whose attraction supplied me with much needed power and sustenance, I would have been too weak to do anything other than go straight to bed and wake up the next day to begin my torture anew.

Yet despite the grueling regime, my powers and skills were steadily growing, far outstripping what I had learned from mother in only a fraction of the time. My speed was nearly unmatched among the guard pegasi, although I was still uncertain if I could match the nearly legendary speed of Rainbow Dash. My weather magic also benefited from the constant stress, growing powerful enough that I could smash a brick wall with a single bolt of lightning. Add to that the combat tactics I was committing to memory and the strength my body was building, and I felt like I could nearly take on the princesses without the amulet.

Exactly two months after I began working under Shining Armor, he called me to the throne room of the castle just as the sun had begun to set. We had bypassed training for the day, so I had enough free time to hang out with Sunny above the clouds, flying for leisure on the thermals and simply enjoying each other’s company. While her feelings were undeniable, I had maintained a steady distance between us, knowing that any closer interactions with the sweet mare would result in her being drained of her energy, instead of simply absorbing it. I had no wish to expose myself by foolishly becoming greedy of a willing victim, so I stayed firmly friends with her, despite the numerous attempts at bridging the gap on her part.

I brought my mind back to the present as I stopped in front of the great doors that led to the throne room. A twinge of nostalgia flashed through my chest as I remembered the last time I had walked through these gilded monoliths. It seemed like years had passes since my arrival in Canterlot, and yet it had only been two short months. I smirked as the irony of the situation hit me. Here I was, a changeling infiltrator, about to overthrow the rulers of Equestria using the very combat techniques I had been taught by the captain of the royal guard. I chuckled at the idea before composing myself.

I was dressed in full Night Guard armor, my helm held under one wing as I knocked on the doors. Shining Armor had instructed me to be in full parade dress, which made me almost certain of what awaited me in the next room. Without a doubt I was going to be presented to the princesses, although the question of whether I was worthy of being a Shadow Sword remained a mystery.

The doors slung open as they glowed with a bright golden aura, indicating that Celestia was granting me entry herself. I stepped into the great chamber as the doors closed behind me, leaving me alone with the three occupants. Prince Shining Armor was stationed at the base of the dais steps, his body dressed in full armor just as I was, his gaze locked on me as I crossed the open area between us. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were seated on their respective thrones, their gazes also fixed upon me as I dropped into a bow.

Shining Armor stepped forward, his voice firm and level as he addressed me, “Trainee Silver Shield. You have completed your training under my supervision and have earned the rank of Sergeant within the Night Guard. Should you choose to accept this title, you will be stationed here in Canterlot and be put in charge of your own personal squad. It is an honor usually reserved for seasoned corps members, but your raw skill and tactical brilliance have proven you are worthy of this rank. Do you wish to receive this honor, or do you still desire to become a member of the Shadow Sword?”

I lifted my gaze and locked my eyes with his, “I wish to serve as Princess Luna’s personal escort. While I humbly thank you for the honor of such a rank, I believe my destiny lies beyond the scope of the rank and file.” I lifted my gaze to stare over his shoulder at Princess Luna, “You told me that if I trained hard and proved my worth, then you would consider bestowing the blessings of the night upon me. Have I acquired the skills you wish a member of your personal guard to possess, or am I still not worthy of the title?”

Her gaze never faltered as she stood up, her head held high as she stepped forward and down the steps. Shining Armor stepped aside as Luna stopped mere feet from me, forcing my gaze to climb in order to lock eyes with her. Her expression was as blank as a stone and revealed none of her intentions, although I could sense a tiny flicker of uncertainty that she nearly succeeded in covering up. Whatever it was she had in mind, it was big enough to rattle even her composure.

“Silver Shield,” she said in a clear and powerful voice, “you have shown great skill and progress since we last met. You are without a doubt one of the most capable ponies I have ever met. Yet skill and knowledge are not enough to become a Shadow Sword. You must have unwavering loyalty, and be willing to give your very life to protect me and my subjects. Are you willing to do so, knowing that once you become a Shadow Sword, there will be no turning back?”

I nodded, my eyes firm as I held her gaze, “I am Your Highness. It would be an honor to serve you, and to act as your right hoof stallion in any and all matters you endeavor to achieve, be they of great political importance, or personal project.”

Her horn lit up as the sun crossed beyond the horizon, the throne room falling into darkness as the first stars began to appear, “Then prepare yourself. The blessing of the night is a painless process, but will tax your body to the very brink of your endurance.”

I braced as my helm dropped to the floor with a clatter, my legs locked and my eyes firmly focused on her face as the moon began to rise. A beam of pure silver light, crafted from the glow of the rising orb, shot through the stained glass and hit me directly in the chest. I grunted under the impact, feeling a strange sensation spread over my body as my hooves were lifted off of the ground. I rose until I was hovering above Luna’s head, her eyes closed and her brow furrowed in concentration as the beam began to widen. I was forced to close my eyes as the light passed over the rest of my body, my lungs struggling to obtain air as powerful magic coursed through my veins.

It started at the very tips of my hooves, and it took me a moment to realize that the sensation moving up my legs wasn’t my imagination. I forced one eye open to try and see what was going on, and what met my sight was something I had never expected. Much like the ring of fire that surrounded a changeling when we transformed, an oval of moonlight was moving up my body, changing my disguise inch by inch as it passed over my fur. The lower halves of my legs were now completely black, instead of the dark grey I had been previously. Once the magic reached my armor, the dark purple metal was also changed to shiny obsidian, the crescent moon insignia on my chest being replaced by a slit pupil eye of bright blue coloration. I was forced to shut my eyes as the magic grew brighter, the blazing power flaring within me like a cold sun. My bones vibrated with the intensity as my wings changed, although with my gaze blocked I couldn’t tell what they had become.
Finally, after what seemed like ages, the spell completed its work, setting me down on the floor in front of Luna. I groaned as I opened my eyes, trying to get my legs to work as Shining Armor helped me up. I started with surprise when I stood at my full height and realized that I was now a few inches taller than the prince, and a quick examination of my body revealed that was the least of what Luna’s spell had done. My wings were no longer covered in feathers. Instead they were flesh and bone like a bat, equipped with a single clawed digit at the wrist joint and perfectly smooth to the touch. I glanced at Shining Armor, but was distracted by something reflecting off of his chest plate. I looked closer and nearly jerked back, not having expected to see slip pupils staring back at me. I almost checked to make sure my disguise hadn’t been shattered, but fought down the impulse when Luna cleared her throat.

“You have been given the blessings of my night, and as such have now become the first Shadow Sword in over a thousand years.” She stepped forward and pinned me in place with her cold eyes, “Remember the noble cause you now represent, and do everything in your power to honor those who came before you. While I am hesitant to add more ponies to the ranks, you still have the title and authority to command any of the Guard corps, as long as you do not abuse that privilege.” She turned to face Shining Armor, “Prince Shining Armor is now your equal in rank, although your position as my escort does not give you the right to overrule his command. Because of his title of prince, he can still countermand any orders you give to the Guard, but your personal orders will come from me and me alone.” She turned her gaze back to me as I picked up my fallen helm, “As such, you are being given the rank of captain, so that there will be no confusion if you require members of the Guard to assist you in any way.”

I bowed my head, slipping my helm over my ears as I straightened, “Thank you for this honor Princess, I won’t let you down.”

She nodded in reply, “See that you keep that oath. Now, before we begin your first night on the job, my sister would like to have a word with
you.”

I turned to face Celestia, feeling more confident now that I had a better measure of her moods. She stood up and walked down the steps to join us, her ethereal mane and tail flowing around her as she stopped at their base, “Know that the Shadow Sword are not well known to the regular populous. Your new appearance might cause concern or even outright fear because ponies will not know how to interact with you. Keep in mind that you are no longer just a regular pegasus, and as such must take care not to get into situations where your augmented abilities could injure somepony.”

I nodded, “I understand Your Highness. I will do my best to avoid conflict of any kind, unless my duty to your sister requires me to act.”

She nodded in turn, “See that you do.” She turned her gaze to Luna, “I will let you handle things from here sister. If you will excuse me, it has been a long day, and my bed calls to me.”

Shining Armor stifled a yawn as he bowed to Luna, “I will take my leave as well Princess. I have detail in the morning and I do not wish to oversleep for watch duty.” His lips twisted into a grin, “Besides, Cadence doesn’t like it when I leave her alone at night. She complains about it being too cold without me there with her, but I think she just likes it when I rub her wings after a long day.”

I found myself matching the smile that graced the dark alicorn’s face as she hid her mouth behind a hoof, “Well then you had best be on your way. Wouldn’t want to keep your wife waiting would we?”

He smiled in return and threw a crisp salute before walking out of the room, the doors closing behind him with a loud thud, leaving me alone with Luna.

Her face returned to its normal calm expression, her eyes taking on a strange light as she faced me, “You have done valiantly to have come this far Silver Shield. Now your true test begins. It will not be easy acting as my escort each and every night, and part of your duties involves guarding my personal chambers while I sleep. It will be hard and nearly thankless work, but you will be treated as the elite of the elite by all who know you. I would not be surprised if you were swarmed with suitors once the initial shock of your appearance has worn off. I will not hinder any relationships you foster while here in Canterlot, but you must understand that your first duty is to me. Any other activities beyond your tasks as my guard will be done during your free time, or there will be harsh repercussions. Am I making myself clear?”

I kept my voice level as I replied, “Crystal Your Highness. My loyalty is to you first and foremost, so you needn’t worry about my personal agendas.” I glanced toward the doors, my voice lowering a tad as a smirk crossed my face, “Just between us, I think your sister is a bit jealous of you.”

One eyebrow rose in a questioning manner, “What would make you think that?”

My smirk morphed into a full smile as I turned back to face her, “Because she couldn’t take her eyes off of us during the entire audience. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Celestia has never had a personal guard like the Shadow Sword. Do you think she might be thinking of changing that now that the Shadow Sword has been reinstated?”

Her own lips twitched as she suppressed a smile, “Your intuition seems to be more astute than I had first thought. I thought I was the only one who could see past my sister’s mask when she chooses to hide her emotions.” Her eyes lit up with respect as a flash of pride washed over me, “That instinct will serve you well in the future. Do not let your skills grow soft now that your training with Shining Armor has come to an end. I will expect you to continue your self-improvement when you have the time to train, but do not push yourself too hard. After all, if you drop unconscious because you stayed up all night working on your weather magic then you be of no use to me.”

For a moment I thought she was reprimanding me for speaking out of turn against her sister, that is until I sensed the undercurrent of amusement that was nearly hidden under her firm resolve.

I chuckled as I bowed, spreading my wings wide in a mocking manner as I looked up at her, “As you wish Princess. I shall keep that in mind for when I’m not busy guarding your royal plot.”

Her eyes widened in shock for a moment, before her lips parted into a full grin, her eyes igniting with joy as she strained to contain her laughter. “Oh you don’t know how long I’ve waited to see somepony crack a joke around me. You don’t know how refreshing it is not to have everypony groveling at my hooves the moment they believe I have taken offence to something they said.”

I straightened and dusted off one hoof against my chest armor, “I try my best Princess. Just don’t forget that I will serve you until the day I die. I just choose to live a bit more loose than the average guard.”

She nodded, her face lit up like the moon she stewarded as she directed me out of the throne room, “Come, we have much to do this night, and I would enjoy speaking with you while I go about my duties. It has been far too long since I’ve had somepony to who would talk to me like a normal pony.”

I fell in beside her, my back straight and my head held high as we made our way through the castle, “It would be a pleasure Princess, just warn me if I go too far. I wouldn’t like being flung through a wall for offending your pride.”

She giggled as we turned down another hallway, “Oh you will have no problem knowing if I am displeased. Your first offence will only result in a flowerpot being dropped on your head. It is the second offence when I throw you through a wall.”

I coughed to try and prevent my laughter from waking up the castle staff, “I think this is going to be a wonderful arrangement Your Highness.”
Her eyes turned towards me as a warm glow flared within them, the unexpected wave of attraction nearly making me stumble as a surge of raw power ran through my body. That one flash of emotion had nearly made my chest explode with power, and it had been mere attraction. I could only imagine what would happen when she finally fell in love with me.

Unaware of my reaction, she spoke in a soft and gentle tone, “It is Luna while we are alone. I would like to have you as a friend, as well as my personal guard. While Tia is loving in her own way, there are few ponies that I would consider my true friends, so I get rather lonely when I am not attending royal matters with my sister.”

My eyes widened in shock, but I found myself nodding none the less, “I would be honored to be your friend Pri –, I mean, Luna.”
She nodded, her cold mask forming once more like nothing had happened, “Then I will require you to accompany me outside of my normal duties, if you would be willing to set aside some of your own time to join me on occasion.”

We entered what looked like an observatory, the various equipment shined to a fine polish and the great pane windows taking up the entire far wall. Luna stepped up to the huge telescope that rested in the center of the room, but turned back to face me as her mane mixed with the night sky behind her, making it hard to tell where her body ended, and the true stars began.

“I will need some help calibrating the telescope for tonight’s work.” She said as she indicated a complex set of knobs and levers on the side of the machine, “If you would take your place at the controls, I would like to begin your training as a Shadow Sword.”

I stepped up to the brass levers and cranks, feeling oddly out of place next to all of these delicate instruments, “I’m not sure I understand Luna. What does calibrating a telescope have to do with being your personal guard?”

“It doesn’t,” she said as she looked through the eyepiece, “I just didn’t feel like working them myself tonight, given I have such willing help to do it for me.”

I rolled my eyes as I placed my hooves on the panel before me, “Why do I even bother to ask?”

“Because you like it when I mess with you.” She added without looking up, her lips curled as her horn levitated a clipboard and quill to her side, “Now hush and listen to what I’m going to tell you. These are exact movements that must be done with care.”

I smirked as I concentrated on the numerous controls before me, “Yes Princess.”

“I told you to call me Luna when we are alone.” She said as she glanced up from her work, her eyes narrowed as she locked them onto me, “Did you not hear me when I told you that?”

I kept my gaze locked on the controls as I rotated a wheel on my left, “I did, I just wanted to mess with you.” I glanced back at her with a grin, “You’re not the only one who likes to pull jokes.”

She shook her head in exasperation, “What am I going to do with you?”

“How about make me your court jester and dress me in a pink gown before I dance the Casanova Jig?” I offered.

She didn’t bother to grace my joke with a reply, but I didn’t miss the slight shaking of her shoulders as she went back to recording her observations. She liked it when I had fun around her and I basked in the growing attraction that was blooming within her like a rose. She didn’t know it yet, but she was already headed toward sealing Equestria’s doom, and it would come about because of her own emotions. I centered my focus on the controls once more, following her directions as she made notes on her clipboard. We stayed there for several hours, the moon slowly making its way across the sky before the bell tower chimed the midnight hour.

Luna stepped back from the telescope and set her notes on a desk beside me, her eyes red with fatigue but alert none the less, “That will be enough for tonight. There are other tasks that must be done this night, and I need to attend to them before I grow too absorbed in my private projects.”

She indicated for me to follow her, and she led me back through the castle until we came to a set of silver doors carved with the same crescent moon that marked her flank. The doors swung inward as she stepped through the opening, my steps faltering only for an instant as the interior met my eyes. The colors were all deep blues and silvers, unlike the brilliant coloration of the rest of the castle, along with a large bed made to look like the pony within was sleeping within the moon. Above us the ceiling was decorated with mechanical devices that resembled clouds and the sun, their movements creating a soft clicking sound as they moved about overhead. Along the walls were numerous bookshelves, all piled high with scrolls and tomes so old that the paper was turning yellow.

Luna climbed into her bed without a moment’s hesitation and set an alarm clock next to her, “I will be stepping into the dreams of ponies for the next several hours. Make sure I am not disturbed unless it is an emergency.”

I threw a crisp salute as she pulled the covers over her body with her magic, “I will make sure you are not disturbed unless absolutely necessary.”

She nodded, her gaze distracted as she settled into position, her horn lighting up as a light blue haze formed around her body. For a moment I waited to see if anything else would happen, but when nothing did I simply settled in next to the door, focusing my gaze ahead as I fell into the practiced post stance. It would keep the blood from pooling in my legs and making me pass out, but would also prevent muscle fatigue from having to remain standing for long periods of time. However, my eyes moved over to the seemingly sleeping pony across the room, and I couldn’t help the soft smile that graced my lips. She looked so much more peaceful like that, instead of the uncertain or controlled persona she put on around others. A part of me wished she would loosen up a bit more, if only so that I could seduce her faster without her insecurities in the way.

The moon made its way across the sky, just as the mechanical sun made its way across the room’s ceiling. And through it all I stayed perfectly still, not even glancing at Luna as I kept vigilant watch over her body while her mind entered the dreams of her citizens. The first light of dawn was just beginning to show on the horizon when the alarm next to her bed went off, the harsh ringing causing me to jump slightly before I could regain my composure.

Luna’s body lost its glow as she opened her eyes, a hoof moving to shut off the alarm as she sat up. Without even looking at me, her horn lit up with her magic, and I saw the moon setting as the first light of day passed through the windows. Her eyes fluttered closed as she closed the shutters with her magic, her head falling back onto her pillow as she passed out completely. I remained where I was until I heard soft snoring coming from the sleeping princess, letting me know she had fully fallen asleep.

I broke stance and walked up to her bed, standing over her sleeping body as a dark grin crossed my face, “Of how easy it would be to take you right now. Helpless as you are, I could overpower your mind in an instant.” I reached out and ran a hoof through her mane, her lips parting as she murmured in her sleep, “How easy it would be to put you under my spell and take over the castle from the inside.” I pulled my hoof back and turned away, my grin turning down into a frown, “But that would be too easy. There isn’t any fun if you can’t put up a fight. Besides,” I muttered as I resumed my post, “seeing you fall for your greatest enemy is almost too entertaining to stand. I wouldn’t dream of taking that thrill away until I’ve had my fun. Sleep well Luna, because sometime soon your greatest fears will become reality.”

Author's Note:

Ooh, things are getting good! Stay tuned for further chapters my faithful readers, and I'll see you on the next page.
See you next chapter,
Shadow Quill, Messenger of the Moon.