• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 311 Views, 7 Comments

Random Ramblings - PioneeringAuthor



A collection of random slice-of-life stories debuting various fan-characters and how they interact in Karamverse (an AU owned by me and Imperator Aetheris).

  • ...
 7
 311

Turquoise Dreamer and Keen Gift

Turquoise Dreamer, a turquoise earth mare with a calligraphy pen and paintbrush as a cutie mark, lounged outside of her favorite cafe in Ponyville, drinking some root beer in-between drawing a sketch of the building. Her teal mane and tail were tied back as usual, and this time it was very hard to see the narrow, light blue stripe she had in them. Of course, the light breeze still played with her hair, and she figured some Pegasus was especially bored today or something, because the breeze didn't feel quite right. She took a break after finishing her drawing to straighten her newspony hat, and carefully eyed the piece.

"Tinsel Quill," She asked a tiny glass pony who was sitting on her table, "What do you think? Did I make the window too big?"

"I think it's about right," Tinsel Quill replied, her berry smoothie sloshing around inside her as she walked over to inspect the picture better.

As Turquoise Dreamer's Bubble Butt pony, it was her job to give advice to Dreamer, and cheer her up. Tinsel was happy to help, of course, and truly enjoyed being Dreamer's art critic and beta-reader.

"I dunno... it looks weird to me," Dreamer insisted, "How about you walk around the picture and tell me what you think again."

Today, Keen Gift was back at Ponyville. As the dark blue and white unicorn walked around he noticed a house. Smiling slightly he walked over, remembering that she had asked him to get something he decided to walk towards the Café and... there she was! He trotted over, carrying a small wooden crate in his magic.

"I am sure the windows are fine," Tinsel Quill reassured her companion as she sat down on the table, placing a tiny glass hoof on Dreamer's huge, furry one. "Seriously, you are overthinking this."

"All right, I guess I am," Dreamer decided with a sigh and a glad smile, "I am so glad I have you to help me out like this, Tinsel."

"I'm always glad to help, Dreamer!" Tinsel declared as she fluffed the whipped cream on top of her head casually.

Suddenly, Dreamer noticed something from the corner of her eye, and turning to look, she smiled and called out, "Hola! Como estas? Did you bring it?"

Tinsel Quill turned and beamed, adding, "Hi there, Keen Gift!"

Smiling at that, the Trotomian Unicorn nodded, carefully lifting the small crate with his blue magic "Si, here are the bocadillos you asked for," He sad before smiling at Tinsel "How have you two been lately?"

"Doing very well! Just working on some art for fun," Dreamer replied, "And barking dogs, I have been waiting for these!"

"Oh, open it open it open it! I wanna see inside, like, what are they like?" Tinsel Quill exclaimed as she hopped to her feet, the straw and liquid inside her swishing around as she moved excitedly.

Gift chuckled at that and removed the lid of the crate, revealing little square sweets wrapped up in what seemed to be dried leaves. Slowly he took one of those and peeled the leaves off, revealing a dark red square.
"I'm glad to hear that."

Turquoise Dreamer gasped and put both of her hooves to her face in excitement.

"Well, don't just stare at it! EAT IT!" Tinsel Quill demanded.

With a giggle, Dreamer declared, "Of course!"

She happily ate it, relishing all of it and moaning happily.

"Is it that good?" Tinsel Quill asked in a whisper.

"mm-hmmm!" Dreamer answered.

"Oh... wow..." Tinsel Quill breathed.

Gift laughed at that and looked at them "So, again, what have you two been up to?"

After finishing her treat, Dreamer answered, "Well, I've been working on stories, hanging out, all that... I haven't had a commission in a while, though... it's kinda worrying me, but I got plenty of bits saved up so I don't need money right away."

"Yeah, and if worse comes to worse, we already have some things we'd be willing to get rid of in a yard sale," Tinsel Quill added, adjusting the tiny piece of tinsel adorning her neck.

Keen nodded at that "Well, I might help you getting commisions."

"Awe... that's so nice of you," Dreamer said with a grateful smile, "But everypony in ponyville knows I'm an artist, so... if they don't need art then... they don't need art."

"Yeah, how would you help her get commissions?" Tinsel inquired, "It would be great if she had a commission--she's sold some art lately, but not a whole lot... we're not sure why, but ponies just don't feel like buying art lately."

He nodded "Well, some friends at my college might want to commission,"He said smiling.

Dreamer gasped again, "REALLY? Are... for real?"

"Woah! That would be amazing!" Tinsel Quill piped up, "I mean, some of them are gonna be great business ponies one day, and I'm sure they won't forget you, Dreamer! That is so kind of you, Keen!"

"Wait, do you think they would like my work there?" Dreamer cautioned, "I mean, I never had a serious amount of formal training--I'm pretty much self-taught... they wouldn't be prejudiced against that, would they?

"Well, some ponies might, but not my friends. There's this Trotomian Zarfaim guy who I'm sure will LOVE to get one of your paintings! And I'm fairly sure I can get one of your paintings to be known by the higher-ups."

"Did you say a Zarfaim?" Dreamer lilted, "Oh, I have some friends who are Zarfaim--I love them so much! And... do you really think one of my paintings could reach the Higher-ups?"

"No way!" Tinsel Quill gasped, "Keen, if you do that, you will officially be every artist's dream BFF."

Keen chuckled at that.
"Yeah, an old friend from Trotomia who happens to be in Canterlot for the time being, and yes, he is a Zarfaim... and he happens to be really well-connected. I'm fairly sure his father knows... um.. ough, I forgot the name... well, the thing is, he is well connected, I'm sure he'll love your art, and I'm sure that he will get others to see it and like it."

Dreamer instantly became excited, and then nervous as she rapidly questioned, "OH BARKING DOGS! You are amazing! Wait, is my art good enough? Every time I try to draw something super realistic it comes out awkward--and which painting should I show? The flower field? The Butterfly? The sleeping manticore? Does he have a thing against manticores? Oh... what to do what to do... "

"Dreamer, calm down! You have a nice style that's kinda cartoony and kinda realistic at parts--don't sweat it! I'm sure he'll love it," Tinsel reassured her companion gently by tapping her tiny glass hoof to Dreamer's fuzzy, turquoise face.

Keen looked at her, a bit startled at her energy before laughing, "Don't Worry! Your art is amazing, and I'm sure the Flower Field or the Butterfly would be perfect... actually I know how to show it, I will get him over here and then at some point we'll sneak the painting in so he can see it."

"Wait, sneak it into your college? I don't want anypony getting in trouble..." Turquoise Dreamer said cautiously as she rubbed her hooves together nervously and her ears drooped.

"Nah, I'll bring him over next week to Ponyville and we do that here," Replied Keen with a slightly surprised look in his brown eyes.

For a few moments, Dreamer adjusted her beige hat and smiled at her friend warmly, hardly blinking her dark brown eyes as she wondered what to say next.

"Keen... you really are a gift," Turquoise Dreamer said with a chuckle, "And thanks."

Author's Note:

This was the first one we did--written by me and Imperator Aetheris ( Keen Gift ).

I would like to know what you all think--again, this series is basically writing practice and an introduction to various characters, so feel free to offer suggestions to make it better! Soon we will be writing the official stories of our AU, so we do need some feedback to give us an idea of what to improve now.

Turquoise Dreamer's Ref

Keen Gift does not have a ref sheet yet. He belongs to Imperator Aetheris while Dreamer belongs to me.