• Published 25th Aug 2016
  • 1,921 Views, 14 Comments

Cat and Mouse - Zephyr Spark



Garble and his cohorts kidnapped Rarity. Their only demands: Spike tells no one, and gives Garble the Dragon Lord Staff. Spike must engage the trio in a deadly game of cat and mouse, with the lives of his friends and Equestria's peace at stake.

  • ...
4
 14
 1,921

Chapter 3 The Exchange

Spike moved through the catacombs, carrying a stick wrapped in white cloth. He could sense Garble’s lackeys watching him from somewhere as Luna’s moon descended. There was no escaping their eyes. Tiptoeing to Ember’s chambers, Spike clutched the stick so hard his knuckles turned white. The shadows covered his approach from her guards, who were already drowsy and unsuspecting. After all, few creatures would want to enter a dragon’s lair. He hated every second of this. Betraying his friends. But what choice did he have? After a day of anguishing over his inevitable actions, Spike could no longer bare the thought of Rarity being Garble’s prisoner.

He’d seen Ember’s chambers on a visit some time ago. It wasn’t fancy like a pony’s room, but it still had an undeniable air of home. Ember showed him many of her secrets and entrusted him with knowledge no other dragon was privy to. He tried to push his guilt out of his mind as he reached the doorless cavern. Spike peaked through the entryway and saw the blue dragoness resting in her bed as she clutched a rod covered with a snowy cloth. She rested on her left side, leaving her face and staff exposed to intruders.

Careful not to make a sound, he slunk to her bedside. No reaction. His claws trembled as he reached for the staff and touched the cloth. Ember started in her sleep. Spike suppressed his flinch, his claws still resting on the staff. When her breathing returned to normal, Spike slipped the fake into her fingers and snuck out her staff. With a heavy heart, he withdrew to the shadows.


Spike entered the volcano and made his way to the familiar cavern. The three dragons didn’t notice him until he reached the edge of the plateau near the pool of magma.

“You got the staff?” Garble snickered. He already knew the answer but found such glee from taunting the little dragon that he had to ask. Spike dropped his knapsack onto the floor and unbuttoned the top pouch. He pulled out the staff, covered in a white cloth. In one movement, he shoved his bag aside and held the stick over the pool of magma. Garble and his cohorts lost their grins as Spike glared.

“Let her go,” the little dragon ordered. Boiler and Matchstick exchanged nervous glances before looking to Garble. The red dragon chuckled, prompting them to join in. Garble pulled the lever dropping Rarity a foot from the magma. She clung to the corners of the cage, desperate to avoid the popping bubbles. Eager to witness Spike’s panic, Garble turned to face him, only to find him gritting his teeth and clenching the cloth.

Garble scowled before reaching out his hand, “Give me my staff and I’ll let her go.” His body trembled but Spike didn’t move from his place.

“No,” his voice shook but remained firm. “You let her go and then I’ll give it.”

“Or what? You’ll drop it into the magma?” Garble snorted, “Stop wasting my time. I know your weakness. You’ll do anything for these ponies, even if it means giving me the kingdom. You’re too soft.”

Spike opened his hand and let the staff fall. Time seemed to slow to a crawl as the snowy cloth descended to the liquid cauldron. Garble screamed, “No!” but the staff continued falling. He reached for it, in some dull, naïve notion he could save it but he was powerless. Suddenly, the staff stopped inches above the pool, suspended in purple claws. Slowly, the staff rose a few inches farther. Garble stared at the staff and found his eyes drifting to Spike who once again held the staff above the magma.

“Still think I’m too soft?” He growled. Garble’s silence confessed everything. “Now, we’re going to make a new deal. You’re going to swear that you’ll never harm a single pony or citizen of Equestria so long as you live. Then, you’re going to send her,” he nodded at Rarity, “over here, give me a minute to make sure she’s unharmed and then I’ll give you the staff.”

Realizing Matchstick and Boiler noticed his hesitation, Garble snapped, “I’m the one deciding who gets what! You have no say—” His words stopped short as Spike brought the rod inches above the magma. The white cloth sparked, releasing puffs of smoke. “No, wait,” Garble yelped, “put out the fire or I’ll—“

“Let. Her. Go. Now!” Spike’s command held no room for compromise. With the staff burning, Garble’s mind became fogged. This wasn’t how it was supposed to go. He thought Spike was a wimp yet here he was controlling the dragon who kidnapped his friend. Garble grabbed the lever ready to dunk Rarity but Spike feinted dropping the staff again halting him.

“You know why you’re going to do what I say?” Spike asked. His trembling voice and quivering body stood firm. “Because I’m willing to do what you’re not to get what I want.” Garble looked at Rarity, realizing Spike meant he couldn’t drop her into the magma and risk harming her, not when he needed her as a bargaining chip. He couldn’t put her life in danger to force Spike into a hasty decision when his ambitions, the Dragon Lord Staff, were melting before his eyes. Garble motioned Matchstick to Rarity’s cage and spoke.

“Alright, Spike. You have a deal. I swear to never harm a single pony so long as I’m Dragon Lord.” As Matchstick opened the cage and retrieved the white unicorn, Spike patted out the sparks on the white cloth while keeping the staff close to the magma. Garble leaned close to Matchstick’s ear and muttered. The dragon flashed a toothy grin as he undid Rarity’s bonds and sent her to Spike.

She wrapped her hooves around him as she blubbered her thanks through tears. Spike held her and looked her over, inspecting any injuries. Matchstick came closer to the pair. Spike could tell he was on the verge of laughing. No doubt Garble told him to attack once he had the staff. Before he came a step closer, Spike whispered into Rarity’s ear. She whispered in turn, fresh tears welling in her eyes. A loud stomp from Matchstick’s foot snapped them from their exchange. He pointed to the staff still in Spike’s hand and extended his hand. Spike took a few steps forward, holding out the scepter. But as Matchstick lunged, Spike threw the rod away. It flew directly into the magma. This time, he did not catch it.

“No!” Garble howled, “Matchstick, get it!” As Matchstick jumped into the magma and Boiler ran to help him, Spike grabbed his knapsack on the floor and raced deeper into the tunnels. The pouch of the pack was still opened, and a rod bundled in white caught Garble’s eyes. Then it hit him. Spike could afford to hold the cloth covered staff over magma because it was never real. He duped them with a fake staff while hiding the real one in his bag.

“Forget that!” Garble barked at the bumbling dragons as he took flight. “Spike has the real staff in his bag. After him!” They had long forgotten that white pony. Nothing else mattered to the three dragons as they soared after the drake. The patter of his distant footsteps betrayed him. Soon, he would pay for his mockery.