• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 372 Views, 40 Comments

Solstice - Scorpius



Maria, the first neophyte of Everfree, must learn to navigate the treacherous waters of student life and politics, where one wrong step could send her family plummeting into ruin.

  • ...
0
 40
 372

A Quiet Conversation

FIVE UNICORNS VANISH OVERNIGHT IN CANTERLOT
The Aeropagus have issued an emergency warning to citizens of Canterlot after five unicorns vanished from the city in the early hours of the morning.
“All citizens are urged to take extra care, not only when out late at night, but even within your own homes,” a spokesmare for the Aeropagus has said. “Keep your Wards up to date. Make sure your home is secured magically and mundanely.”
The Thaumata are scheduled to debate on the deployment of additional Guard patrols in the city. The motion is expected to be passed by lunchtime…


Maria lapped at the water she’d levitated over to their table. Oration had been tough on her throat—Professor Everfree had been demonstrating methods for gaining and maintaining attention even over the roar of a shouting crowd, and had given everyone a chance to apply the techniques while the rest of the class tried to shout over them. She was glad that Tim had managed to save them an alcove table again, or she’d have had to watch her manners a little more closely.

“So what’ve you got next?” Tim asked as she was lowering her glass. “I’ve got double Magical Theory and I want to cry.”

Maria chuckled at that. “Don’t be like that,” she said. “Dornsen’s nice! And besides, I’d rather have double Theory than Astro and Runes.”

Tim visibly winced. “You have both of them? In one afternoon?”

Professors Alice Andromeda Fenglade and Rayna Cyatheala Fenglade were regarded throughout the school as two of the strictest teachers—not even Emeritus Chingar was regarded with quite the same kind of wary respect. Maria did well enough in both classes, and kept her head down enough to avoid trouble, but after the start she’d had this year she was beginning to wonder if keeping her head down would be enough.

“And the fourth year Astro practical is tonight as well,” she added bitterly, reaching out for a cheese and onion sandwich from the nearest serving-table. “I swear Whitetail deliberately sets the timetable every year just to make his own deadlines clash with stargazing night.”

Tim snorted, and shook his head. “You’ve just had a run of bad luck, Maria,” he said, smiling at her scowl. “Astronomy hasn’t ever gotten in the way of my Illusion essays.”

“That’s because you always left your Illusion essays until the morning they were due anyway,” Maria replied. Tim had, at least, the decency to gasp in mock outrage, but couldn’t even keep a straight face when she smirked.

“Speaking of Fenglades…” Tim began, and Maria shot him a withering look. He smiled. “You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to. I was just going to ask what punishment she gave you.”

“A month’s detention,” Maria said sharply. “With Whitetail. Abigail got Chingar, of course.”

“Of course,” Tim repeated, bitterness weighing on his voice. Maria didn’t blame him for being bitter—she was pretty sure that every neophyte was—but she still glanced around to make sure nobody had heard his tone. House Sparkle might not have minded such a slight, but Tim was too often unaware of just how little some houses needed to be provoked. If last night hadn’t been a reminder of that, she wasn’t sure what would keep him in line.

“Look, I’m lucky enough not to be chucked out,” Maria replied. “I’m pretty sure Headmistress Fenglade is going to be up against a lot of pressure to come down harder on me than she already has.”

“Why weren’t you suspended?” Tim asked, before adding: “Not that I want you gone, of course. I’m really glad you’re still here. Just… surprised, is all. Even with your perfect record, I can’t see the Headmistress bending rules for a neophyte.”

“Politics,” Maria said, and Tim grimaced.

“Of course,” he said, shaking his head dramatically. “I should have known. You are, after all, a walking political scandal— hey! That hurt!”

Maria sat back, an innocent smile on her face as she levitated a cheese and onion sandwich up to her muzzle and watched Tim nurse the spot on his side where she’d hit him with a stinging jinx. This year might have been shaping up to be dangerous, but at least she and Tim were able to joke and mess around a little at lunchtime. The normality, the lack of pressure… it was nice to not feel as if every eye in the room was always on you, just for once, and to be able to act and talk without worrying about what everyone else would say if they heard.

Which was why it was quite so disturbing, when she looked up, to see such a large number of students' eyes focused on her. Or, rather, Tim, if the glares of the nearest table were anything to go by. Confused and wary, Maria glanced around the hall until her eyes came to rest on the staff table, where the Headmistress was standing up, eyeing her and Tim with a wry, patient smile.

I just can't catch a break around here, can I?


When asked if there was any hint as to the whereabouts of the missing citizens, officials at the Aeropagus declined to comment.