• Published 18th Jul 2016
  • 3,354 Views, 366 Comments

Truthseeker - RB_



Gifted with the power of Truth, Lyra is inducted into an underground network of monster hunters.

  • ...
4
 366
 3,354

PreviousChapters Next
Symphony of Howls Epilogue

The bell above the candy store’s door gave a little tinkle as Lyra walked into her home. She had stayed at Octavia and Vinyl’s house for several hours, and it was now well into the evening. As she walked past the counter and into the house proper, she could hear the other occupant, now alerted to her presence, coming down the stairs.

“Lyra? Is that you?”

“Yeah, it’s me, Bonnie!” Lyra called back.

Coming around the corner and into the living room, Bon Bon’s relieved smile quickly turned into a look of worried frustration. “Where were you!? You left so suddenly this morning, you didn’t even tell me where you were going, and then I don’t see you all day, and you didn’t come back for dinner, and you never miss dinner!” as she ranted, she approached the green mare, pressing her face into Lyra’s. The unicorn automatically took a step backwards; her marefriend took a step forward, giving no ground. “Well?”

“I was at Octavia and Vinyl’s!” Lyra blurted out without thinking. Crap. “We were… discussing music, yeah! Eheheheh…”

Bon Bon raised an eyebrow. “For nine hours?”

“Uh, yeah!” Lyra put on a grin she hoped passed for convincing. “We must have, um, lost track of time, you know how it is! Us musicians, am I right? Ha Ha!”

Bon Bon backed down with a sigh. “Lyra, you’re a terrible liar. Is this related to your Truth… thing? Is that why you won’t tell me?”

The look of genuine worry on her marefriend’s face hit Lyra like a buck to the gut. “I’m so sorry, Bonnie.”

“No, I under-“

“No, you don’t.” Lyra pulled her into a deep hug. “I want to tell you. I want to so bad, I hate keeping things from you; you know that. And if it was just about me, I would. In a heartbeat.” She pulled back just enough to look her in the eyes. “But it isn’t just about me. Other ponies are relying on me, trusting me to keep this secret. I’m sorry.”

“Just tell me one thing: Whatever this thing is… is it dangerous? Will you be safe?”

Lyra hesitated.

Is what I’m doing safe?

No, she decided, it is not.

“Yes,” she lied, ignoring the sensation of ants down her spine as her blessing activated. “Absolutely.”

Author's Note:

And with that, Truthseeker is now the longest thing I have ever written. Woo! It's amazing when you consider I can only write a few hundred words each day before my focus completely disappears. You know, it took me five days just to write the first chapter? Yeah.

-RB

PreviousChapters Next