• Published 13th Jul 2016
  • 7,885 Views, 436 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Becomes a Changeling Queen, Book 2: Twilight Sparkle Defends Her Hive - bahatumay



Twilight Sparkle is now a changeling queen. At least, she's supposed to be.

  • ...
29
 436
 7,885

Chapter 10

The griffon general Griffith read the report and nodded. Again, the changelings were making the hit and run attacks. Not even attacking; just as if teasing. Taunting.

It was a fatal mistake.

He pushed another pin in on his map. Oh, they may have tried to be sneaky, and vary their approach direction; but mapping out the incidents had showed that changelings had always come from one general area: the badlands.

But where exactly was their hive? The badlands were just that: bad lands. Not places you wanted to march an army, especially if you had no idea just how far down they’d flown. Among the reports of changelings, there were also many reports of sudden, blinding sandstorms in that area from their patrol groups, and an army with no morale was no better than no army at all. Already he’d heard reports of griffons deserting the army, and at least one of those a griffoness from one of the scouting parties. He scowled. This tent was getting pretty stuffy, anyway. He stepped out.

His path took him right outside, and right past the five prisoners. The orange pony shook her head free from the restraint. “It ain’t gonna work!” she called.

Griffith rolled his eyes. “Muzzle her,” he ordered. Again, he silently added. He spread his wings and flew upwards. These ponies were resilient… and irritating. If Grinda hadn’t insisted that this was the best way to draw out the changeling queen, he would never have gone for it. The rainbow-colored one was already wearing a metal muzzle and chains wrapped thrice around her wings, and she still required three griffons to maintain when she got all riled up. The pink one was wearing a hood, and even still he could hear her chattering, badly enough that it was starting to infest his dreams. These stupid ponies had been nothing but a pain in his-

His mental train of thought derailed. There by the borders of the camp were four changelings, one of whom was holding a white flag of truce. They were protected under a thick green magical shield.

And they were nearing the camp.

Griffith nodded, impressed against his will. It took guts to march all the way down here to the main griffon army. Maybe they’d leave alive. He whistled sharply to bring the attention of his army over, and then landed, drawing all attention over.

The four changelings didn’t flinch at all. While two remained upright, holding the shield, two leaned over, working together to set up four bug-like artifacts. When all were in place, the bugs’ wings opened, and green light shot out, connecting them all together. As the changelings backed away, they grew together and morphed until a green magic portal seemed to open; like a round picture with a smokey frame surrounding it.

A purple alicorn’s face appeared. Upon her head was a small black crown, with three balls atop the spikes. “General Griffith,” she began.

Griffith raised an eyebrow, moderately surprised that she called him by name. He knew hers, of course; her picture was plastered over all the posters. “Twilight Sparkle.”

If she felt any offense that he had neglected to use her royal title, she didn’t show it. “I know you have my friends, and so now you have my attention. What do you want?”

“Your head,” Griffith answered swiftly. “On my wall.”

The griffons laughed. Good.

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “I’m flattered; but without my friends’ freedom, I won’t even give you a swish of my tail.”

Griffith narrowed his eyes, knowing full well that his entire army was watching. “We don’t negotiate with changelings.”

“Leave my friends out of this,” Twilight insisted. “They’re not part of it. It’s me you want; let them go.”

Griffith just smirked, suddenly enjoying this power he had over her.

One side of Twilight’s mouth curled up. “It sounds difficult, carrying five valuable hostages around with you everywhere you go. If Equestria were to find out you have them, of course, that would spark a public outrage; and it would be quite difficult to face war on multiple fronts, from both the changelings, ponies, and whoever else decided to try and gain a larger slice of the pie; and it definitely would be quite difficult to paint us changelings as aggressors then. Furthermore, the badlands cover a large swath of Equestria; and what’s not sandy is rocky, there are dead trees wherever there are trees, there’s no shade and even less water. And I hear the sandstorms are terrible this time of year. You might not even be able to…” She waved a claw in front of her face, “see your own claw in front of you.”

Griffith tensed. He recognized that claw; or at the very least, the ring she wore. It was an exact copy of the one he wore. She was taunting him, again. Time to return the favor. “Bold words, from a coward who hides behind walls and disguises.”

That seemed to set her off slightly. “Changelings are apex predators,” she snarled, baring her very blunt, flat, pony, herbivore teeth. “The only reason you’re still alive right now is I want my friends back alive and unharmed. But if it’s a battle you want, it’s a battle you’ll have. Bring my friends and your armies to the plains twenty leagues east of Griffonstone in three days’ time. I’ll make certain they’re unharmed; and then, upon my word as queen of the changelings, we’ll have a battle the likes of which you’ll never hear of again.” Her eyes narrowed. “But if they’re harmed in any way, we will disappear, and the infiltrations will resume—only this time, upon all of your lands. In your cities. In your settlements. And you, and your children, and your children’s children will be hunting us for the rest of their lives.”

And here she goes and solves my problem for me. Griffith neared the portal, passing over his dagger in favor of drawing his battleaxe. “I accept your proposal. We shall indeed have our battle… and the changeling threat shall be wiped off the face of Equestria!” He brought down his weapon, crushing the bug pods. Magic sparked and crackled as they separated and crumbled, and he smashed them again and again until they were barely recognizable as magic artifacts.

The griffons cheered. Griffith turned to face them. “Prepare to march!” he ordered. “The time of our triumph approaches! And we shall be victorious!”

* * *

It was early morning. The fog still clung onto the ground. And all around the atmosphere was tense. Today was the day!

Assuming, of course, that Twilight Sparkle kept her word. Doubtful (being a lying changeling); but still possible.

It hadn’t taken three days to get here. It hadn’t even taken one. So, having arrived early, they had set up camp and prepared for the changelings to come. But the griffons had gotten restless. They weren’t so good at being shoved together in such a small-ish area, and the ominous threat of war had left everyone on edge. Griffith had briefly wondered, after being impelled to break up yet another fight, if Twilight had done this on purpose.

Perhaps more to keep busy than anything else, they’d built a little stand for the hostages. Grinda, who approved of this course of action, had even sent a giant iron cage for Twilight along with this week’s pay, and it hung from the stand, swaying ominously in the air, ready to hold the threat.

“Sir!”

Griffith looked up, and looked where the lookout was pointing. A purple alicorn had materialized from the fog, striding forward purposefully. To her left, another unicorn walked, wearing a tall pointed hat and cape.

“Trixie?” the orange earth pony asked, squinting.

Apparently it was; or maybe they all knew ponies among these changeling traitors. Either way, closely following them was a long row of changelings, marching in lockstep. Behind them, another row.

Griffith smirked. “Ha. Here they…”

Another row followed. And another. And another.

“...come?”

And another. And another. How many changelings were there? It seemed like they were trying to drown out the sand in that black chitin; row after row marched out of the fog and into view in perfect lockstep.

In perfect lockstep.

They neared, and the griffons tensed as they lined up in a counter-formation. Weapons bristled, claws gleamed, beaks flared. It was a powderkeg, waiting to explode.

Twilight stopped and held up her hoof, and the changelings stopped marching. When they’d stopped, she continued walking forward, nearing the stand. She walked under and out of sight of those on top; but not for long. With a burst of green light, she appeared right in front of her bound friends, making the griffon bodyguards jump.

“Are you girls ok?” she demanded, running a hoof over the nearest strap on Rainbow’s body. She reached over to the strap on Applejack. “Did they hurt you at all?”

Rainbow Dash shook the muzzle off enough to talk. “Twilight! It's a trap!” she warned.

Twilight smirked and held a hoof over her lips. “Shh! Don't give it away!” she hissed in a stage whisper, waggling her eyebrows.

Rainbow was stunned into silence.

With a quick burst of green energy, Twilight reappeared before Griffith. “I’m here,” she said, her tone formal once again. “Release them.”

Griffith nodded. He turned back around, as if to give the order…

Then spun back around and drove his knife into Twilight’s chest. Twilight coughed wetly and collapsed back on her haunches, hooves covering the handle.

Her friends gasped and cried out. “Twilight!”

“You monster!”

Even Trixie gasped in shock.

And then Twilight stopped. She straightened up, standing on all four hooves. She looked down at the dagger embedded in her chest, as if curious. She lit her horn.

And then she pulled the dagger out if her chest and held it up, examining it. There wasn’t even a trace of blood on it; it had come out completely clean.

“Fascinating,” Twilight whispered as she rolled the blade up with her green magic as easily as if it had been made of tin foil instead of hardened steel. She dropped it disinterestedly, and stepped on it with a forehoof. “And what are you going to do after you kill me, I wonder?”

Griffith took a slight step back, hyperventilating. Only his training kept him from shrieking. Impossible! That was impossible! How…?

“I know what I'm going to do,” Twilight continued pleasantly, her voice still in that low, calm tone. “Ithir, if you would, please?”

The nearest griffon bodyguard—how many of them had there been on the platform?—lunged at him. In midair, with a burst of green flames, the bodyguard was revealed as Ithir, and he buried his fangs in his throat. Griffith collapsed, his body twitching weakly.

This must have been the signal; Trixie slumped over, her facade broken, panting as if she'd just run a marathon. As she did, all the changelings save the first two rows disappeared.

“Magic!”

But there was yet more magic to be had.

Having been forced together in a small area against their nature, the griffons had tended to congregate in groups based on where they’d come from (because those were the few griffons they could actually tolerate). And the groups hadn't mixed very well.

And some of those groups of griffons weren’t actually griffons.

With further bursts of green fire, changelings revealed themselves as such; usually in large groups, but every once in a while a lone changeling appeared, having infiltrated other groups. Their attacks were simple; it was pure biting. And the bites were startlingly effective; it seemed to only take one bite to leave the griffons on the ground, twitching.

There was the sound of metal hitting wood, and Twilight’s friends looked around to see that they’d been freed. Twilight grinned. “If you want to help, you can; but I think we’ve got it handled.”

“No way!” Rainbow shouted. “I want in!” She looked over the edge, and her mouth curled up. “Sonic painboom!” she cried as she leapt off the edge.

Twilight shook her head, but could not keep the smile off her face. Especially as her other friends jumped off the platform as well.

Soon enough, the changelings’ (and now ponies’) influence spread; more griffons were hitting the ground hard, and only a few of the changelings had been injured. What made it more fascinating was the fact that the changelings could heal from almost any injury; Rarity gasped as a changeling was nearly split in half by an axe, only to burst into green fire and land, completely whole, snarling... and drawing the griffon's attention away from the other changeling behind him.

As the tide turned, some griffons began to flee; but before any could leave, another squadron of changelings burst from the hills, having been disguised as rocks. But they weren’t here to fight; instead, a green shield shimmered into existence, trapping them inside. Pound as the griffons might, there was simply no way for them to break the shield.

And with their attentions on the shield, they were left open to attacks from behind.

And just as the final skirmishes were winding down (and changelings were wandering around, hacking up colored gunk into the injured changelings’ mouths, nearly making Rarity throw up something herself), Fluttershy looked up and gasped. A new army approached, flying hard towards the fray. Grinda must have sent reinforcements!

Twilight gasped as well. “This wasn’t planned,” she murmured. Still, a queen must always be willing to step up to any threat. She narrowed her eyes, and took off, charging directly towards the approaching army, outstripping even Rainbow Dash in her rush to defend her changelings and friends from this new threat. With a shouted command in a language nopony understood, the shield was dropped, and she flew singlehandedly to face this new group.

Twilight!”

* * *

The griffons marched in a large group. They were jovial, if a bit injured. Many of them wore field dressings, bandages and slings.

In the center of the group marched a few that weren’t griffons. A mare with a yellow coat and a long pink mane sobbed silently, tears dampening the chain around her neck. A pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane and bound in plenty of chains, tossed her head irritably at the bit in her mouth. An orange earth pony mare scowled at the ground, chewing defiantly on the bit in hers. A pink earth pony walked slowly, her mane deflated. A white unicorn stood with her head held as high as she could, but it was clear that she was fighting back tears.

And bringing up the rear, and surrounded by the most uninjured of guards with weapons out and in claw, there was a purple alicorn, head bowed, bound by all four hooves with thick chains, trapped in a giant iron cage.