• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 1,494 Views, 55 Comments

Where the Sunflowers Grow - Bluespectre



Rush, the latest and rather unsteady addition to the newly constructed palace, is home. Trials and tribulations lie ahead for the new Royal Consort who has to contend, not only with a new world and a new body, but the suspicious ponies of Equestria.

  • ...
7
 55
 1,494

Chapter Eleven - The White Witch

CHAPTER ELEVEN

THE WHITE WITCH

The scene before her was beyond anything she had seen since the end of the war, but this time, instead of the broken bodies of soldiers, it was the land itself that had been torn apart and laid waste. The Princess closed her eyes and hung her head; she didn’t want to see any more, and yet, this was still her land, her home, and the people looked to her for guidance and reassurance. Fortunately few ponies lived around here, except those that made a living providing fish for the Griffin population - as distasteful as she found such practices. All around her ponies were busily engaged in clearing away the debris caused by the flooding, cutting up the uprooted trees for firewood or building materials. Nothing would be wasted, and if nothing else, clearing the area would unearth… She shook her head and snorted loudly; she wouldn’t think of that! She refused! Rush was alive…ALIVE!

“Your Majesty?” A tan coated stallion approached and bowed, “We’ve had the area scoured, both magically and with dogs; there’s no sign of any pony remains.” The muddy pony looked exhausted, “We’ve divided the river into sections, but there are still several miles left to cover.”

The Princess bobbed her head, “Thank you. Please, give my thanks to your ponies and let the palace know if you need anything. Hot food, drinks and shelter are being provided, yes?”

The stallion nodded, “Yes, Your Majesty, we’re being well looked after. I’m just sorry the work is taking so long, it’s-”

“-I know.” Celestia cut in with a smile, “It’s a lot of work and a very large area, but I promise you that everypony involved will be well compensated for their efforts and that they will be in my thoughts and prayers.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty!” The stallion bowed and backed away several steps before hurrying back to the others.

The white alicorn watched him go. He was a heavy set fellow, and good at his job too. He was working so hard for Equestria, and for her. Good Gods, she didn’t even know his name… Celestia turned to her officer, “Sea Mist, when we get back will you find out the name of that stallion for me?”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” The newly appointed pegasus commander bobbed his head, making the scar on his muzzle stand out against his magically altered white fur. His eyes blazed blue, reminding her of the other stallion: the one she needed to find, and the only one who could mend the gnawing ache in her heart. She nodded,

“Let’s go. We need to keep heading along the river.” Celestia lifted the small crystal in her hoof and stared at the white light glowing faintly within, “I’m coming Rush” she whispered, “Don’t worry my love, we’ll be together again soon.”

***********************

“…and twist the end, tucking it in like this, and there! Done” Rush tapped the chair and bobbed his head in embarrassment, his cheeks flushing at the spontaneous applause. Even Harn shook his head in amazement as he walked over to look more closely at the freshly woven covering,

“Is it strong?” the large stallion rumbled.

Rush nodded, “Try it and see.”

Harn glanced at Arith who waved a hoof encouragingly.

Sporting a rather worried expression, Harn gingerly manoeuvred his large framed into the chair. A tense moment passed, Arith watching intently and Fathom shaking her head slowly in wonderment,

“I can’t believe it,” she said, “you make it look so easy.”

Rush shrugged, “It is after a little practice. Proper materials help of course - the reeds we found aren’t the best, but they’re mostly up to the job.”

“Well, I know I for one can’t wait to have a go and try my hoof at weaving!” Fathom gave Rush a beaming grin, “Thank you Rush, you’ve done us a great service.”

Blushing, the brown stallion scrubbed his mane, “Fathom, please, I’ve just shown you how to weave reeds, that’s all. You and your family saved our lives; this is nothing compared to that.”

Fathom shook her head, “Nonsense. It’s everyponies duty to help those in need, and besides, we’ve enjoyed having you here, haven’t we everypony?”

There was a general round of nods and happy murmurings from Arith, Cinder and even, rather surprisingly, the quiet Harn who was still busy examining the chair. Little Cinder, riding on her mothers back, lifted a hoof,

“Do you have to leave, Uncle Rush?”

Rush sighed, closed his eyes, and nodded, “I’m sorry, Cinder, but we have families of our own back home who will be missing us.”

Queenie stepped forward and gave the foal a nuzzle, “Maybe we could come visit some day? You’ll be a big girl soon, and then you’ll be able to show us all the wonderful new magic you’ve learned!”

“I’m going to get bigger, and bigger, and one day I’ll be bigger than Uncle Harn!” Cinder squeaked, “I’m going to be a super amazing wizard too, just like Uncle Rush said!”

Everypony chuckled at the exaggerate antics of the foal until Fathom plucked her from her back and put her back down on the floor,

“We’ll miss you,” she said kindly, “but of course, you’re welcome back for a visit any time you like.”

Queenie gave Fathom a hug, “Thanks Fathom, I owe you so much.”

“The only thing you owe me is a smile, and you’ve already paid that in full.” The mare stuck her tongue out playfully, “Come on now, let’s get the rest of your supplies together. Tomorrow, we’ll be off at first light to get you two back home to Paddock.”

“Aw!” Cinder’s frown made Queenie burst out laughing and she scooped up the foal in her hooves,

“Up for a run?”

Fathom nodded her head, “Don’t go too far. The forest isn’t as safe it used to be, so stay near the house you two.”

“Oh, yeah!” The foal’s eyes went wide in delight, “Giddy up auntie Queenie!”

The white mare shot a glare at Rush and then smirked, leaning into him, “You’re in so much trouble for teaching her that.”

Rush cringed. During his story about life with the ‘pink hairless apes’, somehow he had found himself talking about them ‘riding horses’ into battle. Fathom and Arith had been unsettled by this part of the tale, but Cinder had hung off every word. Even Harn, the one stallion mountain, had nodded at certain points, commenting about the ‘tactical advantage’ of having somepony, or rather some ‘human’, able to watch your back. This hadn’t quite registered with Rush until later, but now, with his pony-centric mind, he could see Harn’s point. Still, the thought of somebody riding him was something that made his legs shiver. What was surprising too, was that his hosts had accepted the story readily, particularly Fathom who had dominated the questions with particular reference to customs and spirituality. Thankfully, the issue of Rush’s more ‘personal’ side of the story and his encounter with Celestia, Thorn, and Rend, had been avoided - ‘Very nicely too’, Rush thought to himself a little smugly.

Queenie reared, “Hold on tight!”

“Hmmf!” Cinder had a grip on the white mare’s mane, her delighted squeaks muffled by Queenie’s hair.

The two of them shot forward out of the door, heading away from the workshop and up the forest trail.

“Not too fast on that leg!” Fathom shouted after them.

She needn’t have worried. Queenie, for all her excitement and relief at getting out of the house and into the open air for the first time since she’d been carried in on the litter, was still wary about the recent magical operation on her and kept her speed down to a fast trot. To Cinder though, it was like they were galloping at full tilt and the small grey creature whooped and yelled with unrestrained joy at the experience.

Queenie ran. Her legs were stiff and sore from inactivity, but she was a naturally strong mare – in fact she had been ever since she’d been a foal, and soon the familiar sensation of strength, power, and energy began to sing through her body once again. The white mare laughed aloud, her merriment joining that of the foal on her back whilst the forest whipped past them in a lush green blur. The sun was high in the sky, her hooves thundering along the compacted ground and her small companion shrieking and giggling behind her…just like her own foal had done, all those years ago. Queenie smiled; if only for a short time, if only for the briefest of heartbeats…she was happy.

Cinder shouted into her ear, “Look! LOOK! It’s auntie Madra!”

Walking towards them, covered in a knee length travelling cloak and numerous packs, bags, and panniers, was a short pony. Queenie slowed down to a walk, and then a halt, her senses suddenly alert to danger at the approach of the curious creature. Whatever, or rather ‘whoever’ it was, made the hairs stand up along her back, but before she could react, Cinder had leaped from her back and was running towards the cloaked figure,

“Auntie Madra!”

Queenie lifted a hoof in alarm as the cloaked pony threw back her hood, revealing the stocky and bespectacled unicorn mare beneath. Whooping with joy, Cinder was plucked form the ground and hoisted into the air by the mare’s forehooves and the two span around, eliciting cries of happiness from the overexcited foal,

“You’re home! You’re home!” Cinder shouted happily, “Did you bring me anything?”

Queenie winced; foals had about as much tact as a flying brick and as much awareness of the object of their attention. Under the furry assault, the pale grey mare lifted Cinder up and deposited her onto her back,

“Stay there little one, and shush a minute, okay?”

Surprisingly, Cinder fell silent - more to catch her breath than out of obedience, but the effect was the same. Madra, her eyes focussing on Queenie, walked cautiously forward, stopping a few paces away. Queenie watched her warily; this unicorn mare wasn’t quite a carbon copy of the others: she was a lot lighter in colour than the three Queenie knew, and she was shorter, stockier, but still very much a unicorn and had those same piercing yellow eyes. Madra narrowed her eyes as she addressed her,

“May I ask who you are, and what you are doing with my granddaughter?”

Queenie bobbed her head and smiled politely,

“My name’s Queen’s Court. I’ve been staying with Fathom, Arith and Harn at their home for the last few days.”

The grey mare’s forehead wrinkled slightly as she took this information in. By her reaction, she wasn’t fully convinced despite the fact Queen’s Court had named the family,

“And why would they do that?” She asked, “I wasn’t aware we were expecting visitors.”

Cinder, having filled herself to the brim with water and food she’d poached from Madra’s packs, wiped her muzzle and joined the conversation,

“Uncle Rush was nearly eaten by a wolf!”

“Wolves?” Madra asked curiously.

Queen’s Court nodded, “It’s a bit of a story, but yes, we were caught by floodwaters. We were washed downriver; I ended up with a broken leg, and we were nearly lunch for some hungry timber wolves.” She shrugged, “And now, here we are.”

“Indeed.” Madra shook her head slowly, “Very fortuitous you stumbled across my family, wouldn’t you say?”

“I think it was more a case of them finding us” Queenie replied a little more tartly than she intended, “If they hadn’t, we wouldn’t be having this conversation now.” She felt a twitch in her hoof, her muscles readying themselves; there was something about this mare she didn’t like, and it wasn’t just her tone of voice that had her hackles going up either. What was with all these grey unicorns? Fathom, Arith, Harn, Cinder, and now this one…Madra, wasn’t it? Yes, the one whose room she’d been using – marvellous! If the unicorn wasn’t pleased they had guests now, just wait until she found out she’d been sleeping in her bed!

Madra glanced round to the little foal and gave her a nuzzle, but her eyes never left the white earth pony before her. Queenie’s eyes however, were drawn to the short sword hanging at Madra’s side, barely concealed by her cloak. Regardless of whether she’d noticed Queenie watching or not, however, Madra’s expression never changed,

“You go ahead,” she said politely to Queenie, motioning in the direction of the house, “We’ll be right behind you.”

Queenie smiled in reply, but her hackles were up and her hind legs twitching horribly. There was a part of her that wanted to run, to get away from this creature, while another part of her wanted to fight, and wipe that damned grin off her face and put the smug looking unicorn in her place. She was more than strong enough to do it too – she’d fought ponies before, ones that had fought on the side of the Legion, and some of them had been unicorns. What the hell they’d done that for was something she’d never understood. During the war, she never questioned her orders, nor gave much consideration to who or what she was fighting. She’d shut out most of her thoughts, and focussed on little more than doing her duty. When she’d lost her family, thoughts about the wider issues had ceased to matter. All there’d been left for her then had been living in the moment: the fight, the thrill of battle, and that adrenalin rush you got when you realised you’d survived one more day. It had always been like that back then: new recruits coming in day after day, the old hooves becoming fewer and fewer - either injured, or killed. All too often, they’d been injured and left to fend for themselves. They all knew what that meant: death. The Legion took prisoners of course…sometimes. But what happened to them after that? She didn’t really know for certain, but she’d heard the stories, and that was frightening enough. When the war was over she hadn’t known what to do - what was there for her now anyway? She’d lost everything, and everypony, she’d ever loved – well, except that one fellow…but what would he think of her now?

Green Shard had been a Corporal in the army, and had been the only one who’d ever shown her any sort of kindness or respect since she’d joined up. In fact, he’d been the only stallion who’d ever said…’no’. Of course, she’d had a few drinks while she’d had some leave and one thing had lead to another. The mare in the bar hadn’t liked her trying it on with some young stallion who had seemed like a good bed partner for the night, and she’d come at her all teeth and hooves…stupid creature. The Provost had come steaming in shortly afterwards, but a deep green coated stallion had pulled her free of the brawl and dragged her out before they caught her. ‘Green Shard’ his name was - a good pony, and a good stallion too. He took her back to his place, treated her black eye and bruises, and then…and then he sent her away…just like that. Queenie sighed, watching her hooves plodding along the trail back to the house; walking along…walking away…she should have stayed with him, shouldn’t she? But no, she’d cocked the whole thing up, hadn’t she? She’d thought he’d want her, that he’d be like every stallion she’d ever met and just want to have a quick tumble under the sheets to relieve a little of the stress of war, but no, not Green Shard – he’d just made sure she was alright and then, let her go…

“You’re back quick. Did you have a nice…” Arith froze, staring past Queenie at the figure walking along with the happy foal on her back, “Madra? Oh my Goddess, it’s Madra! Mother! MOTHER!”

“What is it?” The flustered Fathom bustled out of the house with a tea towel floating in her magic, “I was just doing the washing up and…oh!”

Queenie gave a sigh of relief and, her presence clearly not required, dodged into the house where Rush was finishing up the dishes,

“Have a good run?”

“Splendid.” Queenie said sarcastically, “At least it would have been until the latest in the grey unicorn collection appeared; miserable sod…”

“Another of the family?” Rush put the plate and paused, “They mentioned another one when we got here. I think you were using her room.”

“Apparently.” Queenie replied, “Her name’s Madra, and she’s got all the personality of that plate you’re washing.” She huffed, “Anyway, have a guess what colour she is?”

“Colour?” Rush frowned, thinking, “A grey unicorn?”

“There’s something funny going on here, Rush, and I know I may seem a bit paranoid, but…y’know…”

Rush kept his voice down, “I know, but they don’t mean us any harm. Look, we’re going tomorrow anyway, so let’s be polite, get our things together and be commensurate guests, eh?”

“The what?” Queenie asked.

“Be polite!” Rush whispered. He smiled, his wink making Queenie blink in surprise, “Come on, you can give me a hand with the dishes.”

“I don’t have hands.” Queenie said raising an eyebrow, “Will a hoof do?”

Rush laughed, “Of course, my lady!”

The rest of the afternoon consisted of a barrage of chatter from the next room, and no end of squeaky voiced delight from the now nearly hyperactive Cinder Wind. Queenie and Rush had been displaced to the stock room where they busied themselves pack up for the following morning’s trip back to Canterlot. Queenie yawned and groaned, stretching her back leg and flopped onto the rug.

“You alright?” Rush asked in concern.

“Mmhmm.” Queenie rubbed her leg, “Bit stiff more than anything, but…well, it’s nothing…”

“It’s obviously not nothing.” Rush reasoned, turning to face her, “Come on, what’s bothering you?”

The white mare snorted, “I don’t suppose it makes much difference, does it?” she paused, staring off into the corner of the room distantly, “I’m worried about what to do when I get back.”

“Back? You mean to Canterlot?” Rush asked in surprise, “We’ll get you home and…”

“I don’t have a home.” Queenie said rather more loudly than she meant, “At least, not now.” She barked out a laugh, “My home was the logging team. It was…” she hung her head, “I heard what Straw said…he wanted me gone…”

Rush snorted, “Rubbish…”

“I heard him, Rush!” Queenie snapped, “and you know what? It was my fault too…I…I shouldn’t have done what I did.” She sniffed back a tear, “You know what I did…”

“Yeah.” Rush replied, laying a hoof on the mare’s shoulder, “But Queenie, we’re friends. I’ll speak to straw when we get back. Hey, I could always have a word with Tia and see if she’ll give you a place at the palace.”

“Me?” Queenie smiled, wiping her muzzle, “Nah, I can’t see myself as a pampered palace pony…” she leaved forward and gave Rush’s a gentle prod, “I’ll end up with soft flanks, like you.”

“I do not have soft flanks!” Rush squeaked, “At least…” he gave himself a quick examination, “I don’t think so.”

Grinning expansively at her friends expression, the white mare giggled and leaned back into one of the boxes, pulling her pack beside her. Rush noticed she was using one of his reed panniers, despite the leather ones offered by the unicorn family. With no possessions of their own, the two had little more than food, water, and few interesting stones which Cinder had impressed upon them to take back. Queenie had spent ages washing them and had wrapped them carefully before putting them in the bottom of the packs. She seemed quite taken with the small grey pest.

There was a knock at the door.

“Queenie? Rush? Are you decent?”

Rush furrowed his brow, “Decent?” he whispered, “We don’t wear clothes, do we?”

Queenie shoved him playfully, “It’s called being polite!” she hissed. She turned to the door, “Of course, come in.”

The door opened, revealing Fathom, “I’m sorry about pushing you out of your room, Queenie, but poor Madra was dead on her hooves. I’ll see if we can get you back in there for tonight; I can always…”

“No.” Queenie raised a hoof, smiling, “I’ll be alright sleeping on the floor.”

“Are you buggery!” Rush snapped, “You can have my bed, and I’ll sleep on the floor and…”

“Good grief!” Fathom cut in, “I’ve got enough bedding for another pallet for tonight, so there’ll be no sleeping on the floor for anypony!” she rolled her eyes, “I was more concerned about where your bed making up.”

“Oh!” Queenie hung her head, a slight blush tinting her cheeks, “Er…would I be alright sleeping in here?”

Rush raised an eyebrow, “Why not? We’ve got an early start, and we don’t want to be under anyponies hooves.” He smiled and have Queenie a nod, “I don’t snore, don’t worry.”

“Hah!” Queenie huffed, “You don’t hear yourself when you’re asleep, buddy, you sound like an ursan with a chest infection.”

Rush’s eyes went wide, “A what?!”

Fathom came to the rescue, “A big bear.” She lifted a hoof, “Anyway, I really came to tell you that your meals are ready, so you’d better hurry up or it’ll go cold.” She paused, “Colder.”

“Bugger that!” Queenie was up on her hooves in a flash and nearly knocked Fathom flying as she dived past her to the dining room. Rush rolled his eyes and stood up,

“Sorry about that.”

Fathom just smiled.

The dining table was abuzz with chatter. The centre of it was the short, rather shaggy looking mare with the small round glasses that Queenie had nearly run right into earlier. Rush extended a hoof,

“Hello, my name’s Rush. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Madra.”

Madra reached out and bumped his hoof with hers, “Madra. Likewise” She nodded towards Queenie, “We’ve already met.”

The white mare smiled politely, although it came across as more of a grimace which Rush picked up on before quickly trying to change the subject,

“So, Madra, did you have a safe journey? Cinder told me you were an adventurer.”

Madra snorted loudly, “Hardly!” She caught the foal’s eye and shrugged, “Well, maybe a little one.” She chuckled and took a mouthful of her drink, “I’m what you may call an ‘explorer’.” Madra lifted a hoof scratched her ear, “And one who could do with a bath too.”

“I’ll run you one later, mother.” Fathom said happily.

“Mother?!” Rush squeaked in surprised, “But you look so…” He coughed, “I’m sorry, I…”

“I think I’ll take that as a compliment!” Madra barked out a laugh, “I like you!” She smiled and floated the bowl of silvery-red berries from the table in her magic, popping one of the glistening fruits into her mouth, “Now a stallion like you could go far! I bet you’re a hit with the girls, eh?”

Fathom clucked her tongue, “Mother!”

“Meh!” Madra snorted, “I’m not too old for a…” She paused, noticing Cinder hanging off every word, “…a run through the forest” she finished with a cough.

“Look what nana got me!” Cinder chirped.

The foal lifted up a magnificently carved figurine of something Rush had never seen before. He stared at it: it was made out of a delicate blue and white stone, rather like marble, and made to resemble what looked like waves, no…clouds…clouds and a horse of some kind, riding them. He stared at in awe…it was absolutely beautiful.

“Cinder!” Fathom hissed, “I said to leave your things in your room!”

“Aw…”

Rush reached out to the figure and hesitated. It was so lifelike, so delicate, and yet projected such power and grace he was lost for words,

“It’s beautiful” he breathed

Madra shrugged, “Isn’t it though?” She wolfed down another berry, “The artist really captured the spirit of the wild nature of the wendigo in this, I think. It has so much movement in it, despite being a static piece.”

“It’s a what?” Rush asked in surprise, “A wen…?”

“A wendigo” Queenie said quietly, “Also called windigo, but it depends who you speak to regarding the pronunciation.” She stared down at her plate, “They were…” she swallowed, “They fought for the Legion.”

Madra raised an eyebrow, “They fought for themselves.”

“And Nightmare Moon” Fathom added.

Madra snorted, “If you say so.”

“I’ve never heard of them” Rush said scratching his chin, “At least, I don’t think so. Are they a kind of thestral?”

“Thestral?!” Madra banged a hoof on the table, “Those bloody things?!”

“Mother!” Fathom leaned across the table, her eyes flashing, “Please! Rush hasn’t been in Equestria long, and doesn’t understand such things. Please, have some understanding.”

“Huh!” Madra turned to Cinder, “See how my daughter tells me off for being naughty, Cinders? You’re not the only one who can get a spanked bottom, you know.”

Cinder looked up with a beaming grin at her mother, “You’re going to get a smacked botty!”

“Good grief!” Fathom threw her forelegs up in the air in exasperation, eliciting a round a chuckles and giggles from the rest of the table.

Holding up her hoof for quiet, Madra leaned forward and poured Rush a drink, “Wendigo, my dear Rush, are warriors who fought with Nightmare Moon and the Legion.”

“They fought Celestia and her ponies?” Rush asked, intrigued, “What happened to them?”

Madra sighed, “The white witch happened.”

Fathom raised her hoof, “Mother, please, that’s not-”

“-You can’t hide from history, and you can’t hide from the truth either, no matter how horrible of unpalatable it may be, daughter” Madra said, her voice lowering. The temperature around the table seemed to drop suddenly, “You haven’t walked the halls of the fortress, the home of the Lord and Lady of the wendigo. You haven’t seen the blasted and shattered remains of what had once been a structure that was so magnificent to behold it inspired song and verse across the entire world! It is only when you have walked in their hoof steps, when you have walked through the pass of tears wading knee deep through the bones of your family and loved ones, that you can see, truly see, and come to understand, just what evil…true evil, really is.”

“I don’t understand.” Rush breathed, “What happened to them? Are they all…?”

“Dead?” Madra’s eyes flashed in the candlelight, “Perhaps. The white witch saw to that. She burned to then death; melting their bodies, incinerating them even as they ran, running to try and save the last of their kind. Stallions, mares, the young, the old, even foals…” She closed her eyes, “It didn’t matter to her; they were nothing, no more than the flickering of flames…to merely be…snuffed out.”

Suddenly all the lanterns and candles went out, plunging the room into near darkness save for the glow of the fire in the hearth reflected in Madra’s eyes.

Cinder screamed.

“MOTHER!” Fathom shrieked, banging the table with her hooves. Her horn glowed briefly and flames flickered in the darkened room, setting the candles alight once again and reflecting in the tear stained eyes of the terrified foal clinging to her mother. “What the hell is wrong with you?” Fathom snapped, “You’re scaring the life out of Cinder!”

Madra sniffed, “The truth can leave a bitter taste” she said quietly, “Come now, Cinders, come to nana. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have scared you like that.”

“You should have some common sense, mother.” Fathom huffed, “We do have guests, you know.”

“Guests” Madra shrugged, “You’re right.” She turned to Rush, “I’m sorry Rush, I shouldn’t have rambled on like that. Forgive an old mare.”

Rush shook his head, “No, I…I didn’t know any of that.” His mouth hung open in shock and amazement. These creatures, these, ‘wendigo’, had been annihilated by this monster, this…’white witch’? He’d heard tales of witches when he lived in the village, but usually they were no more than some elderly spinster or widow who had a thing for cats and shouting incoherently at noisy youngsters. Good Gods, that was probably him! Apart from the cats of course; mind you, he rather liked cats…

“What happened to the Legion? The thestrals?” he asked.

Madra tossed her mane, “They were wiped out” she said quietly, “There are no more thestrals.”

“That’s not true” Harn huffed, raising a hoof, “Many went north, along with the dragons and minotaurs, heading for the portal back to their world.”

Arith nodded, “I heard that too.”

Madra shrugged, “It doesn’t matter; Nopony cares anymore. Nopony is interested in history either - it’s all long dead and forgotten.” She reached over and tousled Cinder’s mane, “It’s a place where only sorrow resides now.”

“We have to think about today, and the future of our home.” Fathom added, “And the future of little ones like Cinder.”

“Do you have foals?” Madra asked Rush suddenly, “You look the marrying type.”

Rush shuddered, letting out a breath. He tried a smile, “I was married once. I had a…a daughter, too.” He closed his eyes and gave himself a shake, “I lost them both to bandits some years ago.”

“Oh.” Madra looked down at the table and poked at her bowl of cherries, “I’m sorry. Sometimes I don’t know when to keep my big mouth shut.”

“I’ve been telling you that for years.” Fathom muttered, earning a scathing glance from her mother.

Rush lifted a hoof, “You weren’t to know, Madra. Besides, it was a long time ago.”

“You seem like a fit young fellow, though” Madra replied observantly, “I’m sure there’s plenty of foal making material left in you yet, eh?”

“Mother! Good grief!” Fathom tapped Rush’s hoof, “I’m sorry Rush, she’s terrible when she gets like this.”

Madra snorted loudly, “I don’t know what you’re acting so prudish about, you’re always banging on about ‘breeding outside the clan’ all the bloody time. Goddess above, you want to practice what you preach, Fathom.” She gave Rush a prod, “Look here! Prime stallion flesh right in front of you, and you act like some old washer mare and…”

Queenie cleared her throat, “Pardon me, would you excuse me?”

Madra looked up as the white mare jumped down from her chair, “Huh?”

“I’ve finished and I have to get the last of my things ready for tomorrow. When we leave?” Queenie waggled her eyebrows meaningfully at Rush, “Right?”

“Er…sure” Rush cleared his throat, “I’ll just-”

“-Rush can stop and chat for a while, can’t you dear?” Madra’s hoof shot out and clamped onto the surprised brown stallion. She smiled wolfishly, “You can run along and pack your things, Queenie, while we have a natter. After all, poor Rush has barely had anything to eat yet!”

Queenie’s face darkened, but to her credit, she kept her demeanour calm and pleasant, “Of course, Madra.” She turned to Fathom, “Thank you for the meal, Fathom, it was excellent as always.” And without waiting for a response, she trotted from the room. Rush waited for the door to slam, but thank the Gods she kept her anger under control – so why did he find that more worrying than an outright display of anger? A thought suddenly occurred to him: at some point he was going to have to go into that room…
B6
“So, Rush…” Madra began.

“Huh?” Rush looked up, distracted by Queenie’s behaviour.

Madra smiled, her toothy grin made only worse by the small round spectacles perched on her muzzle, “Do you know how to dance?”

***********************

Rush pushed open the door and ducked back, half expecting something to come flying out at him, yet surprisingly no missiles, neither ceramic or otherwise, targeted the wary stallion. Peering inside, he quickly found that Queenie was indeed, as she’d said earlier, packing her bags – again. Rush walked over and sat beside her,

“Queenie? Are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine” came the reply.

Rush rubbed his muzzle and stared at the floor, “If only that were only true.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The white mare hissed angrily, “Don’t bloody well start!”

Rush snorted irritably, “I’m not arguing with you, Queenie. I don’t know what’s going on between you and Madra, but we’re leaving tomorrow and-”

“-Between Madra and me?!” Queenie rounded on Rush, “Have you seen the way she looks at me? The way she talks to me or just outright blanks me completely?” The white mare gritted her teeth, barely keeping her anger under control, “That little bitch is…” She shook her mane angrily, “Gah! Luna’s arse, Rush, can’t you see it?”

Rush furrowed his brow, “See what? You think I’m missing something?”

Apparently he was. Queenie roughly shoved her packs into the corner of the room before pushing into her friend until she was nearly muzzle to muzzle with him,

“I don’t think, I know” Queenie’s voice dropped to a low growl, “I’m a mare, Rush, and I can see the way she looks at you. I know what she wants, and you’re too bloody stupid to realise it.”

Rush groaned. What was it with these mares? Was it the shortage of males in Equestria? Or had they always been like this? He took a breath, wanting to put a stop to this madness, “Look Queenie, I’m not an object to be used and passed around like some bloody toy, you know.” He shook his mane and looked her square in the face, “I’m a living being with thoughts and feelings of my own. Just because some males’ brains shut down the moment they encounter any receptive female that passes by, it doesn’t mean we’re all like that! Gods protect me, you mares seem to be completely obsessed with stallions for some reason, and as much as I find it flattering, I wish you’d all just leave me the hell alone!”

Queenie blinked in surprise and narrowed her eyes, “As if you had any say in the matter.”

Rush stood up angrily, “What? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means, my dear Rush, that you have no say in the matter” Queenie said levelly, “Madra has her sights set on you. Whether for herself, or for Fathom, she will be coming for you, and there’s bugger all you can do about it.”

“I can say no” Rush said with a nod of his head.

“Ha! You can try!” Queenie snorted, “But I’ve seen mares like her before, Rush; she won’t give up.”

“Bollocks!” Rush snapped, “We’re going in the morning, and that’s that.”

Queenie just sighed and sat down, “We’ll see” She stared at the floor and smiled sadly, “Goddesses, I hope I’m wrong.”

An hour, maybe more passed by, leaving the two friends sitting in an awkward silence and watching the flame flickering in the lantern as the night gathered beyond the window. Rush stared out into the darkness, listening to the muted sounds of the forest beyond and…was that…was that music? He cocked his head, listening. He was sure he could… Yes!

There was a knock at the door.

“Rush? Queenie? It’s Fathom, may I come in?”

Queenie opened the door, “Fathom? Is everything alright?”

“Of course!” the grey mare smiled, “We’re having a celebration to give thanks to the Goddess for Madra’s safe return and to ask for her blessing for our two new friends.” She stepped back and waved a hoof towards the open front door, “Won’t you join us?”

Rush nodded, “We’d be happy to.”

For some reason Queenie seemed a little reluctant and shot Rush a look, but thankfully she kept it hidden from their host. “Of course, Fathom” she smiled, “You’re our friends and have done so much for us. Thank you.”

Fathom smiled broadly and trotted out the front of the house to where flames from a bonfire could be seen flickering in the darkness. Queenie’s hoof shot out and stopped Rush in his tracks,

“Rush, look, I know you may not believe me, but please, there’s something about this situation that’s really worrying me. She gave him a look that made his heart leap, “I’m…I’m frightened.”

“Oh, Queenie, come on…”

“No! Rush, listen,” Queenie tossed her mane, “I’m being serious. I heard…stories about ponies like these, and I’ve been wracking my brains trying to remember what they were, but I can tell you they weren’t good.” She squeezed her eyes shut a moment before fixing him once more with her orange gaze, “Just…please, be careful, alright?”

Rush smiled, “I will, don’t worry.”

He trotted out into the garden leaving Queenie shaking her head in dismay. It was hard to get through to Rush sometimes, and he had that blasted stubborn streak too that simply infuriated her! But regardless of her feelings, there was a certain undercurrent with this family - one she’d put down at first to the fact they were all unicorns living in the forest, and all looked the same. But then Madra comes along, the eldest of the grey unicorn family, and she’d immediately set her sights on Rush. She knew all too well how stallions behaved around a mare who gave them ‘that’ look! That said, Rush had been the only other stallion who had spurred Queenie’s advances, and he certainly had a level of confidence and self control about him that she was unused to. But still…Madra… Goddesses, she didn’t like her one bit! And just to make matters worse, they were all bloody Lunarian’s too! Sure, some ponies worshipped Celestia and some Luna, but there was something connecting the two: the whole grey pony and Luna thing, that…

“Queenie? You coming? Come on, the party’s starting!” Arith’s face appeared around the corner, a tray of mugs and bottles floating in the blue glow of her magic.

Smiling, Queenie reluctantly left the sanctuary of the room and headed into the unknown.

Outside, the family had gathered around a large iron basket that had been filled with wood and was now blazing away merrily, sending its light and heat out to the assembled ponies who smiled happily, watching the sparks floating away into the night sky. Rush and Queenie stood together while the other passed around drinks. Whatever it was, it tasted refreshingly fruity, tangy and was absolutely delicious. Rush smacked his lips happily and was soon reaching for another when Fathom clopped her hooves for attention,

“Fillies and Gentlecolts!”

Cinder, out well past her normal bedtime, giggled and leaped about next to her aunt while her mother spoke.

“Tonight, we give thanks to the Goddess of the Moon” the grey mare announced, “to our Princess, to the one who guides are hearts in the darkness and blesses our dreams with peace and prosperity, love and gentleness. We give thanks.”

The grey ponies all spoke as one, “We give thanks.”

Rush opened his mouth to speak, but ended up mumbling quietly before deciding that since he had no idea what was going on, he would be best advised to keep simply quiet and listen. He caught a glimpse of Queenie’s face – she didn’t look happy at all.

“To our lady of the night sky, to the one who stood by our side and was given to the astral plane - we give thanks.”

Surprising himself, Rush joined in this time, “We give thanks.”

Fathom bowed and then stood on her hind legs, raising her forehooves to the sky,

“Mother of the Moon, Princess of the Night, we thank you for your light, we thank you for bringing your daughter, Madra, safely home to her loving family. We give thanks.”

“We give thanks.”

“We ask of thee, dearest mother, to bless our friends, Rush and Queen’s Court, so nearly drowned in the flood waters, but delivered to us so that we may protect them with your grace. We give thanks.”

“We give thanks.”

“Oh Mother, for your blessing, for your love and for your gentle light, in the sure and certain knowledge that you shall return to our mortal realm to lead your children once more - we give thanks.”

“We give thanks.”

Fathom bowed her head, “Blessings be to Luna.”

Rush bowed and echoed the words, “Blessings be to Luna.”

Silence fell, and then, with a loud clopping of hooves, the music began. Rush turned to Queenie as the others leaped up and began dancing and jumping about the fire in time to the lively tune,

“This reminds me of home” he said happily, “It’s just like the festivals to welcome in the spring or to give thanks for a good harvest.” He sighed and finished the rest of his wine, “Home…” he sighed. Rush looked at Queenie who was glaring at the ground, “Queenie?”

She looked up at him and smiled, but her expression never reached her eyes, “Come on, we’d better join in or they’ll think we’re-”

“-RUSH!” Fathom leaped forward and grabbed his forelegs, “Come, dance with me! Come! Come!”

Whooping with delight, the grey mare whisked Rush off into the firelight, spinning and leaping with complete abandon. Laughing despite himself, Rush found himself caught up in the moment, whisked away by the happy, dancing ponies while the music played on.

Ensconced in the blue glow of his magic and the yellow of the firelight, Harn played with unimaginable passion. He was good, incredibly good in fact. The lute floating before him sang louder than any words and seemed to fill the world itself with its insistent refrain. Rush laughed aloud as Arith danced past him, her drum effortlessly held in her magic, passing it to her mother while she took Rush’s forehooves in hers and took the lead. It was the first time the chocolate brown pony, the earth pony from the other world, had truly thrown his usually conservative demeanour to the four winds and simply…lived.

The music played on, the drink flowed; even the food was like a gift from the Gods themselves. Rush grinned like a child receiving presents on their birthday, but he didn’t care; he’d been through so much, endured such horrors, and yet now, with these people, these ponies, he could simply let the world and all its worries disappear and just let himself be free.

Finally, exhausted, Rush flopped onto the ground and gulped back the last of his latest cup of wine.

“Enjoying yourself?” Queenie asked.

“Absolutely!” Rush grinned, “You aren’t?”

“We’ve got to be up early in the morning” she replied.

“Pfff!” Rush snorted, “Don’t be such a stuck-in-the-mud, come and have a dance!” He thought for a moment, “Hey! Stuck-in-the-mud! Get it?”

Queenie rolled her eyes, “Yes…yes, Rush, I get it.”

“Meh! Bloody misery…” Rush grabbed a cup of wine from the passing tray, “Have a drink, Queenie, it’s our last night here.”

“No.”

Rush threw up his forelegs in exasperation, “Oh, for the Gods’ sake.”

“I said no!” Queenie slammed her hoof down and glared at him.

“Rush!” It was Madra, “Come have a dance with me, my big earth stallion. Come and show me how they danced in your world!”

Queenie watched impassively as Rush, foolish, tipsy, and hopelessly naïve Rush, was whisked away into the swirling fire lit dance, while Harn and Arith laughed and played the fast tempo music – music that had her heart racing and her chest heaving. Right now, right here, this, not Rush’s, was like a different world – a world neither she, nor he, belonged.

***********************

The night was drawing in. Time felt strange to her now, as though it were like soap in the bath, slipping away each time she tried to catch it in her hooves. Twice now, twice she had lost Rush: once because of the portal, and now because of…because of her? No…because of him and his bloody mindedness! Wasn’t it? She reached up and rubbed her muzzle; none of this was making sense anymore, none of it! Headaches, dizziness, and now fainting fits? What in Equestria was happening to her? And the way ponies were staring at her lately too: as if she were losing her mind like some crazed lunatic likely to tear them to shreds at any moment! No, no this was all wrong. She had to find Rush, and then she would go back and speak to Starswirl and get this blasted nonsense sorted out once and for all. She nodded to herself and leaned back against the tree, holding the curious pendant in her magic. It was a fascinating thing, if a little bland to look at, but it was her only hope, her only chance of finding him. What was perplexing however, and stretching her nerves to near breaking point, was the way the infuriating thing was sending her first one way and then the other! Earlier they’d found hoof prints in the mud which disappeared near a stream, the next thing they knew they were heading downstream only to find the white light of the pendant sending them back upstream! So much for the ‘great wizard’! Celestia groaned and hung her head; it had been like this for hours, days maybe…she couldn’t tell. Rush had to be alright, he simply had to be, or else surely they would have found something, anything, by now. What was even more terrifying however was that their scouts had found signs of timber wolves in the forest near where the hoof prints in the mud bank had been. To think – timber wolves! Those vile freakish nightmares, the monsters created from corrupt magic, had multiplied during the war, feeding on the thaumaturgical fallout from the innumerable spells crafted for a singular purpose – to kill.

Gods, what a mess…

Celestia sighed, took a deep breath and slowly let it out while closing her eyes for a quick doze. Her soldiers were taking it in shifts to guard the perimeter of their campsite, but she’d already cast a spell to protect them all for the night. Soldiers – they never changed, and maybe it was better this way. These ponies, veterans all, had willingly come with her to find Rush. What they actually thought of him personally wouldn’t matter to these hardened ponies, only their duty. She sniffed back a sarcastic laugh; these rough, tough troops, out here, searching for their Princess’s lost coltfriend – who would have believed it? Luna, Mother, Father, they would all think she had lost her mind, and maybe…maybe she had. She certainly hadn’t been herself lately, she knew that all too well, even if she didn’t really want to admit it to herself – certainly not openly. Celestia sighed; good Gods, she was coming apart at the seams! All those years of stress, the years of pain from the wounds left by internecine warfare, and then what? That was it, was it? Just like somepony blowing out a candle, the war was over. But it was the invisible wounds, the unseen scars it left behind, not only on the land, but on those whom it had touched – they were the ones who had been left to live with their suffering until they passed over to the herd, and what they had seen, what they had experienced, would one day become little more than a faint memory. One day, somepony may discover a rusting sword in the forest, perhaps stumble upon a pile of bones and armour of some long forgotten soul, mouldering on a lonely hillside, but even then, it would be no more than an interesting find, a note to be made in a diary. And what of her? What of the Princess of the sun? She was expected to just ‘carry on as normal’, was she? She could see it in their eyes, it was in their demeanour and the way they all looked at her. They expected her to know exactly what to do, no matter what the situation was - they always did, and they always trusted her to make the right choices too. Celestia shook her head; she’d been born to this, as her sister had, but somehow…somehow nopony ever saw the mare beneath the crown: they never saw the mare, just the Princess, just...the alicorn. Still, once she had Rush back she would be able to refocus on rebuilding this land, making it stronger and more resilient. Now that was a goal that was worthy of remembrance – and remember they would. She would make sure they never forgot, nor repeated the mistakes of the past. But to do it alone? No…no, that had never been something she’d wanted.

Celestia yawned; Gods, she was so tired! She wasn’t used to sleep outdoors, and in her haste to join the search she’d not bothered to bring a tent and had resorted to using a bedding roll meant for ponies, not alicorns. Groaning, she rolled over, trying to make herself a little more comfortable and let the sounds of the night wash over her. The cries of foxes and owls had an eerie, yet magical quality that soothed the soul, together with the faint music that danced on the edge of her hearing – the guards must be playing something round the campfire. She smiled and opened a bleary eye; they were playing cards, chatting and…there were no instruments to be seen. She closed her eyes and concentrated; there, faint, and just on the edge of hearing was…music. It was a string instrument, a lute if she was any judge, and…a drum, and…she sniffed…wood smoke. Celestia glanced at their own fire: the smoke was blowing in the other direction, but this one was definitely coming through the trees towards them. With a huff, the Princess was up and on her hooves, cocking her head to listen more intently. Yes! Definitely music!

“Sergeant Felt Line?”

The scarred veteran trotted up and saluted smartly, “Aye, Your Majesty?”

“Can you hear that?” she asked.

Felt Line, one of her oldest royal guardsponies, narrowed his eyes, squinting into the darkness and swivelled his ears as he strained to listen. He shook his head and then motioned for one of the younger guards to join them,

“Hansom,” he called, “you’ve got good ears on you lad, can you hear anything out there?”

The younger stallion listened, cocking his head on one side. Celestia watched him intently, waiting for…

“Music” the guardstallion said with a nod of his head, “No doubt about it.”

Felt Line bobbed his head to his Princess, “Your order, Your Majesty?”

“You know your trade, Sergeant” she said quietly, “I don’t want any surprises: nopony gets hurt, and nopony gets lost out there. We don’t know what’s going on, so let’s keep things nice and civil, yes?”

Felt Line saluted, “Aye, Your Majesty, by your command.”

In moments it seemed, the camp had disassembled itself as if by magic. The fire was put out, not doused, but smothered, while the soldiers donned their cloaks to cover their armour and readied weapons. Celestia had found long ago that soldiers did what soldiers did best, and they performed at their best when left to ply their trade with a loose rein. She herself was no stranger to a fight of course, but these ponies had joined to protect Equestria, and her, and they would to their last breath if need be. Tonight however, was not a night for soldiers. This was no battle – this was music; a joyful, happy refrain that pulled strangely at her soul, calling to her to come and join, to dance and be merry with friends.

Still, it didn’t hurt to be…prepared.

Walking through the woods, Celestia headed towards the sound, the music steadily growing louder with every hoof step. But her eyes weren’t looking into the forest, they were on the glowing white pendant around her neck. It was…moving, lifting into the air as it shone, its light becoming so bright it was now almost blinding. Hastily, Celestia pulled her travel cloak around her chest, smothering the light and gave herself a shake; she was near, wasn’t she? At last, after all this searching! Gods, how her heart beat in her chest, her blood roaring in her ears – it felt like the time she’d brought him back to Equestria, back home, all over again! When she had him back this time, when she had him home, safe in the palace, she was never letting him go again…never!

Twigs and branches brushed past her, snagging on her cloak, but Celestia ignored them. She was so near now she could see the flames of the bonfire, hear the laughter of ponies, the drunken singing and…

She froze.

“Rush?” Celestia’s voice was a bare whisper. There, through the bushes of the untamed forest, she could see something, some movement. Moving closer, quietly, she could make out shapes, ponies, and… voices…

“Just a little more, hmm?”

“I really shouldn’t, I think I’ve had enough already.”

“Really? A stallion should have a big appetite, Rush. A strong fellow like you? A big, powerful earth stallion, could surely manage just a little drop? Just a little…taste…”

Rush chuckled, “Oh alright, just a whisker.” He reached over and took a pull on the jug, coughed, and then barked out a laugh, “Now that’s got a kick!”

“It bucks back, alright” the grey mare said taking a mouthful herself, “Now, how do you feel?”

Celestia held her breath as Rush sat on his haunches and stretched out his forelegs, “I feel…I feel good…great in fact! I feel…I feel…”

“Hmm?” the grey mare murmured quietly, moving closer to him, “How do you…feel?”

“I feel…good” he replied, a silly grin spreading across his face.

“Are you feeling…hungry?” the mare asked.

Rush nodded, “Uh-huh.”

The unicorn leaned forward and whispered in his ear, so quiet Celestia could barely hear, “I’m here, Rush. All you need to do is reach out…and have a taste. A taste so rare, so delicious, that you won’t want any other…ever again…”

Rush blinked, seemingly a little unsure, and although decidedly wobbly on his hooves, he still had strength in him to reach out and take the unresisting mare in his forelegs,

“Yes…” he mumbled.

Celestia’s forehooves dug painfully into her muzzle as she stared wide eyed at the scene unfolding before her. That was Rush, wasn’t it? She wasn’t wrong, it couldn’t be some other pony and…and…but she’d called him by name, hadn’t she? Rush…Rush was…with another mare. A pain unlike anything she’d ever known, unlike anything she’d ever experienced in her entire life, lanced through her chest nearly flooring her. Her Rush…her beloved-

Rush!

Celestia ducked back down. Another mare, a cream coated earth mare with a black mane had broken away from the dancers around the fire and found the two together. Despite the darkness, the fury in her face was all too clear,

“What the hell are you doing?” she gasped, “Don’t do this! What-”

“-Oh shut up!” The grey mare snapped, “You had your chance, now bugger off. Rush and I are having a little…together time.”

“You old sow!” The earth mare shrieked, “What the hell are you doing to him?”

“Giving him what he wants!” The mare growled, “Something you should have known how to do yourself, girl.” Her yellow eyes narrowed, “I won’t warn you again…”

“Damn it!” The newcomer took a step forward, knocking the jug of alcohol over, spilling the silvery red mixture out onto the grass where it sparkled eerily in the flickering light. Celestia’s eyes went wide in shock, her muscles twitching and her magic stirring within her. She looked from the liquid to the grey mare - the grey, unicorn mare with the yellow eyes and the snowflake cutie mark.

Suddenly she gasped in realisation; she knew what this pony was…SHE KNEW!

The two mares glowered at each other with their prize, the befuddled Rush, sitting up and giggling vacantly. The grey mare opened her mouth to speak and suddenly froze, her eyes swivelling to her left, staring right into the eyes of…

Madra breathed the words, “The white witch…”

A vision in purest white, her bright purple eyes blazing with the light of the magic of the Princess of the sun - Celestia, in all her regal power, stepped out from the darkness,

Wendigo” she growled.

Queenie looked round in shock and fright at the Princess standing before her. She’d seen Celestia before of course, in the distance at speeches and commemorations, but to be so close to her! Dear Goddesses, she could feel the magic pouring off her, making her skin feel like it was covered in fire ants. The white alicorn, her wings ruffling and her magnificent rainbow mane shining, filled her vision as Celestia threw off her cloak. Madra however, was staring at her with abject hatred,

“Come to finish us off at last, eh?” she hissed, “Come to finish the job?”

Celestia could feel her teeth grinding as she glared at this…this thing! “You evil monster!” she hissed, “I should have known your kind would be behind something like this!” Her teeth bared as she focussed her anger on the grey mare before her, “Your evil stench is all over this place, and here you are, poisoning an innocent pony into your world of sickening depravity.”

“What do you care?!” Madra snapped back, “You murdered our people! You slaughtered foals, mares, and stallions by the score, whether they were a threat to you or not. You destroyed our home and left us nothing, Celestia, NOTHING! Without the fortress, without our link to the world beyond, we are powerless - we are nothing to you!”

The Princess took a step forward, “Your kind will never change” she snarled, “You will find a way to bring your evil back into the world; you will taint, you will corrupt…like you’ve tried with him, with Rush.”

Madra stared at her, and then down at Rush. So, that was it was it? Rush was…hers. She closed her eyes and smiled sadly,

“So…this is how it ends, eh?”

“Mother?” Fathom trotted into the clearing, “What’s going on? I could hear shouting and…” Her eyes locked onto the Princess and she let out an ear piercing scream, “The white witch!”

Madra lifted her hoof, “Fathom, take Cinder and the others. Run, for the Goddess’s sake, get them out of here and don’t look back.”

Fathom turned to run, only to come face to face with a cloaked pony carrying a spear. He said nothing, he didn’t have to. Madra sighed and looked down sadly while before her, Celestia’s horn began to glow, her eyes narrowing dangerously,

“Get away from him” the Princess hissed.

Madra shook her head, “Let my family go, Celestia, that is all I ask.”

The Princess’s horn shimmered with barely restrained power,

“Let…him…go…”

“They have done nothing to you! We cannot harm you or anypony! Don’t you realise it? You won! The war is over, the wendigo are no more!” Madra released Rush and stood up on her hind legs, “Kill me then, kill me and take that as our offering to you, Celestia. Please, I beg you, Princess, let my family live.”

A small grey blur dodged past one of the soldiers and entered the clearing, quickly hiding behind her mother’s legs, “Mummy! Mummy, I’m scared, what’s happening?”

Silence fell, and a voice spoke, a single word…a name…

“Tia?”

The golden light of magic winked out. Celestia looked away from the grey mare and stared down at Rush who was looking up at her in a confused haze,

“You’ve…you’ve come.” He blinked and gave himself a shake, “Gods above, I’m either drunk or dreaming…”

Celestia hurried forward, taking up the brown stallion in her forelegs and buried her muzzle in his mane. She didn’t care about the others, not now, not any more… She finally had what she sought; she’d found him…he was hers again. The Princess breathed in Rush’s scent, taking in the familiar musky overtones of the stallion that she loved so dearly,

“Oh, Rush” she breathed, “Rush, Rush, Rush…”

“Tia…” Rush kissed her neck, sending a jolt through her, “I’ve missed you so much.”

“I know” Celestia said quietly, “I know…” She turned to the soldiers, “Sergeant, we’re leaving.”

“Your Majesty, what about the wendigo?” The old veteran huffed, “Should we…?”

Celestia shook her head, lifting her cloak up and draping it over Rush’s back, “There are no wendigo here, Sergeant” she said sadly, “They, like the war, no longer exist.” Carefully, she fastened the cloak under Rush’s neck and turned to Queenie, “Are you from the logging team?” Queenie nodded. “Then gather anything you have of yours and follow us” She smiled, “It’s time to go home.”