• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 988 Views, 41 Comments

Building a New Family - Kix



The girls are continuing to adjust to their new situation and continue to struggle with the idea of forgivness. In the mean time, plans for the duo are being drawn out without their knowledge.

  • ...
1
 41
 988

Chapter Seven; Results- Luna

Author's Note:

Alright my faithful followers. I know you have been patient and looking forward to this, and I thank you for that. Enjoy this chapter and as usual, any positive feedback is welcome.

She’s my- I look over at my dau- Moonshade, wondering what must be going through her mind as the paper falls gently to the floor. Please don’t hate me too much, Moonshade.

“Are you alright, Moon?” The question coming from across the desk breaks us both out of our thoughts. Discreetly I glance over at the teen on my left. The fleeting look I spot on her face says she is still processing the news. “Luna, I know you both have something to think over, but I really think we need to schedule a meeting with Discord within the next two weeks.”

“O- okay, I’ll get back with you tomorrow on that. Do you- if Moonshade wants it, do you think Discord would grant me custody of her again?”

Posey looks at Moonshade for a minute, who is still lost in her own thoughts before answering. “I am not sure. I can offer my recommendation to allow it. I will look forward to that call and next week I am coming over for a visit to check up on how things are going, okay.” A soft smile graces her lips as she hands me a small pile of forms. “And you will need to fill these out, the both of you.”

“Thank you, Posey. Moonshade, are you hungry?” The papers are stuffed in a manilla envelope and handed to me before Posey and I stand up. My hand lightly resting on her shoulder causes my daughter to flinch and jump.

“Huh? Are we… are we done here?” Even though her head is lowered it is not lowered enough to keep me from seeing the internal fight in her eyes. I can also hear it in her words.

I was a complete screw up and now… she has to live with it for the rest of her life. Maybe… maybe it would be best if I don’t take custody of her. I want to giver her the life she deserves, but… can I? Knowing that seeing me every day will be a constant reminder of the hell she lived through? I can’t bring myself to look at her, though I do try to keep my expression happy, which only earns a sad shake of her head from Posey.”Yes, we are finished. Are you hungry?”

“Yea, I am actually. You know, I never had a steak before. Think we could… forget it, we ca---”

“It’s alright, Moonshade. We can definitely go get ourselves a steak, been a while since I had one myself.” After a quick hug we make our way back to the waiting area, where Lily is working on fixing some of her errors on her latest booklet while getting help from Sunset. Fire in the meantime is sitting off to the side, nose buried in a book.

“Ok kids, let’s get out of here. I’m hungry and so is Moonshade.” I can see the questions in their eyes as the teens pack up what they had out, but they decided against asking, for now. I guess that is a small blessing of sorts, for now.

Unlike the ride here, the backseat of my vehicle is occupied by both Lily and Sunset, who break into a conversation about Canterlot High. They go over all of what Sunset feels important for the younger girl to know, and even try to get Moonshade involved, with limited success. While Lily seems interested in the different extracurricular activities, Moonshade seems even barely in the offered classes, and no interest whatsoever in the afterschool programs or sports. The only thing that seems to perk her interest is the offered J.R.O.T.C. program.

I really need to talk this over with Tia and Chrys. I don’t want to make any more bad decisions when it comes to Moonshade. I guess the most important person to talk this over with is Moonshade, see what she thinks would be best for her. Despite the internal conflict and my darkened mood we make it to my favorite restaurant safely, Long Horn.

“Hey Fire, can you take both Lily and Sunset inside, please? Or at least wait by the door? I’d like to have a quick talk with Moonshade.” The two girls exchange a look that is part curiosity and part nervousness as they exit and stand next to the hulking security guard.

“Sure thing ma-- Luna. Come on Lily, Sunset, let’s give them some privacy.” Once the doors are closed I turn to face Moonshade, who hesitantly meets my gaze with a frown.

“Alright Luna, or should I start calling you mom? What did you want to talk about?”

“No, I don’t want you calling me mom unless you want to. As for what I want to talk about, mostly how are you feeling about this and how we can handle this situation.” A strand of her hair comes loose from her bangs, brushing against her nose. Before she can swipe or shake it away I’m already acting, brushing it back behind her left ear while smiling at how silly it looked.

Her smile, though fleeting, warms my heart a little, or it could be the slight movement of her pressing her head against my hand, or a mixture of both. “Thank you. As for… as for… this… us, I just… I don’t know.” Before she continues she turns her head, focusing on the floorboard. “On one hand I… I want this to work out. I truly want to make up for all the years we missed and be the family I always wanted. But on the other I… I want to hate you, so, so very much. I want to jump out of this vehicle and run as far as I can while cursing your name.” Tears start to stain her cheeks as leans in towards me, sobbing as her good arm wrapping around my neck. “I’m just… I’m so… I’m very confused right now.”

As I gently hold her against me, my left hand begins to lightly tap against her back. “I understand, Moonshade. I am having my own, confused thoughts about about this situation as well. I think… I think during your next visit with Dr. Sunshine we need to talk this over and get some ideas. I know I want to make the best decision possible, for both of us. And we can’t do that with our minds so messed up.”

“O- okay. I… I… sure.” The sounds of a complaining stomach breaks the momentary silence, bringing an embarrassed smile to her lips, which only causes me to let out a light chuckle, increasing her embarrassment.

“Sounds like someone wants some attention, come on, the others are waiting for us and you could use another five pounds at the most.” Getting her knee walker from the trunk an idea comes to mind, now freed from the dueling thoughts regarding Moonshade, at least for the time being. One of the reasons I love this place is how it was built. Instead of the brick and concrete most buildings nowadays are made from, this place is built to look like a very large wooden cabin. On the awning, right above the entrance is a dangling, wooden sign with red neon lights formed to spell the name in a stylized script. The paneling around the windows and wooden door is painted a dark green.

As we join Fire, the girls and I can tell something has alarmed him by the slight stiffness of his shoulders and how focused he is on something. Taking a quick glance in the same direction nothing looks out of the ordinary or suspicious. Moonshade also appears to pick up on the slight change, though she begins to look around nervously.

“Sunset, go get us a seat, please, and take both Lily and Sunset with you. I need to use the bathroom.” With a nod she heads inside, with the other two exchanging nervous glances before scanning the area as they follow her. “Okay Fire, what perked your interest?”

“I thought I saw someone taking a little bit more interest in the three of us, specifically Lily. I’m guessing it was someone who knows Lily’s parents, if I recall the pictures Chrys passed out. Here is a picture of her, I already sent it to the boss.” He brings up the photo, the detail is really good despite the distance. The woman looks to be mid to late thirties with purple skin and lighter purple hair styled as if she just stepped out of a salon. Her face is turned just enough to keep us from making out her features. “She ducked into that store over there. And has yet to come out.” He indicates the expensive looking wedding boutique across from our spot.

“Alright, thank you. We’ll keep an eye out, do you think we should tell Lily and Moonshade?”

“That is up to you, but if you want some advice, those two are stronger than you think. Plus, they need to be aware of possible threats.”

“Such a gentleman, thank you. And thank you for the advice.” As we step into the restaurant and settle into the pair of tables placed together, Fire grins at the sight of the glasses of pop in front of the teens.

The restaurant has a warm, welcoming feeling on the inside as the log cabin design is continued. The decor takes the form of various hanging pictures of past rodeos, celebrities or special guests that have come here to eat. A couple jerseys and other memorabilia of various sports also share the wall with the pictures and a couple fish and game trophies. A square bar is the center of the space over on the left side of the building and a couple t.v.s that are hung on the wall are tuned to some of the different sports games going on today. The noise of various conversations amongst the patrons around me assault my ears as my nose is attacked by the smell of freshly cooked and seasoned steak and baked potatoes.

“Shouldn’t you girls be drinking water or lemonade? I thought we said no pops, at least not that much?”

It’s actually Moonshade who retorts, with a bit of sass. “Oh come on, mom. Let us indulge ourselves for once. Besides, what is a better way to gain weight than this?” With a smirk she takes a big swig of her glass, downing nearly half of it.

“There are right ways and wrong ways to do that, little missy. And what you are doing, is the wrong way. Plus, add a second strike for your snarky attitude, one more strike and we’re going home, without the steaks.” A chorus of boos expectedly come from Sunset and Lily, though Fire’s booing is unexpected. Three on one, not fair at all. I expected some sort of support from him. “Fine, calm down you guys, sheesh.”

Lily orders a six ounce, ribeye steak cooked medium well with a butter, cheese and sour cream loaded baked potato with a refill of their drinks. Sunset orders the house salad, a baked potato with butter and green beans. Moonshade on the other hand, is unsure about the different cuts of steak and eventually settles on an eight ounce, medium-rare t- bone with a small side salad and baked potato loaded with sour cream and butter, with my help of coarse. Fire and myself order a filet mignon, his is a twelve ounce while mine is a six, with a house salad and green beans. Our drinks are the house special lemonades.

“So, what was the verdict of the DNA test?” The question from Lily startles Moonshade, who just looks at me, nervously.

“If you want to, go ahead and answer. Or we can wait to tell Celestia and Chrysalis at the same time.” As I answer Moonshade’s unasked question I try to keep my features neutral, which seems to work as both Sunset and Lily change the topic. Shortly our order arrives, much to the amused look on Moonshade's face at the sight of her own plate.

Lunch is really good, as it always is here. Judging by my daughter’s reaction to not just her steak, but a piece of my filet mignon as well, she enjoyed it as well. If the DNA test did not already prove it, this does. She’s hooked, I can tell. Like mother like daughter.

As we are about ready to get into the vehicles, Fire freezes again, staring at the bridal boutique. Right in the doorway is the woman he was concerned about. Again we can not get a good look at her face, but something about her seems… predatory.

As the two of continue to watch her, the trio try to look in the same direction as we are, but thankfully the security SUV is blocking their line of sight. I don’t know if she notices us or not, but she continues down to the other parking lot and out of sight.

The drive home is a bit nerve wracking, as I keep checking my rear view mirror, but the only thing I can see is the SUV driven by Fire. Despite the earlier alarm, the girls break down into again talking about what they might be interested in at the school. Moonshade bombards Sunset with questions about the J.R.O.T.C. program while Lily asks about drama and a couple of the sports. Maybe one of these days soon, we can get Moonshade and Lily to visit the school, meet their perspective teachers and classmates. Maybe even give them a taste of some of these programs we offer, but first, I gotta convince Tia, though that shouldn’t be too hard.

Nothing out of the ordinary happens as we pull into the driveway, much to my relief and probably Fire’s as well. Celestia and Chrysalis are waiting for us in the living room. “So, how did it go, Lulu?” As my sister asks from her spot, Chrysalis jumps up with a smile and wraps her arms around my neck.

“Don’t even think about it, not in front of the girls.” Out of the corner of my eye I can see Sunset slightly blushing, but smiling. Whereas both Lily and Moonshade are standing there, embarrassment mixed with a slight hint of anxiety etched on their faces and also in their stances.

“Sorry Lily, Moonshade. You know, you’ll both have to work through that problem you have with witnessing intimacy.” As Chrysalis goes to sit on the couch, she drags me with her while urging the two to sit next to us. “I hate to say this, but eventually you two may want to start dating, and showing affection in the form of hugs, kisses, holding hands or cuddling are part and parcel of dating. I know you both have suffered a lot when you shouldn’t have, but are you going to let your past fears run your life and keep you from enjoying the positive aspects of being in a relationship?” As much as I hate how she worded it, I have to agree with her. They do need to figure out how to work past this fear, if they are to have a positive relationship with someone.

“However, we promise that we will keep it as light as we can to help you two out. Now, Moonshade, do you want to tell them, or do you want me to?” Tenderly I place my hand on her shoulder and look at her, trying to catch her lowered eyes.

Taking a deep breath she just nods while standing up shakily, I can feel the tension in the room and almost hear the mental questions and comments running through everyone else’s mind. “According to the dna results we got today, Luna is in fact my biological mother.” She sounds both angry and sad at the same time, and I can only guess why.

Tia smiled widely as she wraps both of us in a gentle hug. Chrysalis and Sunset are wearing the same expression, one that is of shock mixed with joy and optimism. “I would say congratulations, but I think you both have a lot to work out. So we’ll hold off on any parties until then. Either way you both choose, welcome to the family, niece.” Tia looks at Moonshade as she speaks, holding the newest member in a careful hug as she makes it sound as if her words are directed towards me.

Looking over at Lily, I can tell she is upset, but trying to hide it, though before I can ask her about it, Moonshade starts to make her way to her room. As she hobbles down the hall, both Sunset and Lily follow her, offering to support her, which she silently accepts. Once the door closes, I slide off of Chrysalis’ lap and they both just look at me with my sister finding her voice first. “How do you feel about it, Lulu?”

“I’m… I’m confused right now. Part of me wants to make up for all the pain and suffering she went through, so badly. But then, I just....I feel as if I have no right to claim her or to be a part of her life. Afterall, it is… because of me that she… that she suffered the way she did.” As I draw my feet up onto the couch, both my girlfriend and my sister embrace me from either side of me. As I hug my knees I can feel the tickling of tears as they start to form.

“How did Moonshade react to the news? And did you tell her how you feel about it?” Chrys comfortingly begins to rub my back gently while letting her voice go soft.

With a couple of sniffles to fight back the growing need to cry, I can’t help but think of what the three girls are talking about right now. “She… she is also having her own conflict. She… she wants to hate me, for how easily I gave her up and for what she… suffered. But at the same time she wants a… new start, to try and have an... actual family again, like her first adopted family was.” Burying my head into my knees, I can feel the waterworks are about to start, and I can do nothing to stop it as I continue. “We… we promised that we… talk to Dr. Sunshine again, we will… we will see what he has to say.”

I must have cried myself into a nap, cause when I wake up, both Sunset and Lily are in front of the t.v. and playing a video game. My phone, which is nearly dead, reads six pm, just in time for dinner. For the rest of the evening Moonshade does not make an appearance, which worries me, along with Celestia and Chrysalis.

Chrysalis is waiting for me in my bed after myself and Tia go through the normal nightly ritual of getting both Sunset and Lily to bed. “So, been a topsy turvy kind of day, huh?” She’s laying there in her teal bra and panties with the lights turned down. “I figured you could use some stress relief after today.”

As I close the door, I am glad my primary room is on the opposite side of the house from Celestia’s, though I’m a bit worried about how any possible noise will travel through the floor. While having these two new teens have not done much to hamper my sexual intimacy with Chrys when we feel the urge, this is only the second time we have been this close in mine and Celestia’s house. “Thanks, Chrys. It has been a crazy day today.”

Without thinking I join her on the bed after stripping down to my bra and panties, laying on my stomach, stretched out. Immediately she leans over and works her magic on me as she kneads her fingers into my skin in an attempt to smooth out the tension that has built up. I can’t help but let out a low moan as she focuses on my shoulders and back, undoing the bra strap so she can have better access.

The message doesn’t seem to last that long as Chrys flops down next to me, grinning. As a passionate kiss is quickly shared I start working on her as best I can. Moans quickly escape her lips a her eyelids flutter close. Her hips give an enticing wiggle as I work on her buttocks and down her legs. As I work on her feet, she surprises me by turning over and wrapping me in a tight embrace.

The next morning I wake up, feeling fulfilled and happy, though naked and entangled in my lover’s limbs. Her eyes fly open as I try to extract myself from her grasp to try to get ready for work. Before I am successful she twists her naked body till she is pinning me with a naughty smile. Her kiss lands softly on my lips and I lose myself in the passion of the moment.

For a few moments we just lay like that, entwined in each other's arms, jumping as Celestia knocks on the door. “Come on you two, breakfast is almost ready and we can not postpone the start of school just so you can both finish each other off.”

As I get ready and meet the others downstairs, I can’t help the fierce blush that colors my cheeks, and Chrysalis seems to be having the same problem. Immediately the teens joining us pick up on our discomfort, and while Sunset has a couple snickers at our expense, both Lily and Moonshade just avert their gaze though they also let out a few giggles of their own.

As Tia and Chrysalis get ready for work, both Moonshade and myself get ready for a pair of appointments she has today. The first with Dr. Sunshine and the other is to get her started with physical therapy. Lily actually decides to accompany both Sunset and my sister to what will hopefully be her new school after a short discussion regarding my idea of allowing them to visit and get a tour of the place. The plan for after the appointments is to let Moonshade at least do the same thing, but only for half the day.

*****On the road*****

“Luna, about what Chrysalis said at breakfast. Do you… with what I’ve… with my… past do you really think there would be someone willing to still… be with me?” While I have been expecting a question from her for the first half of the drive, seeing as how she has been silent and fidgety since we left, that wasn’t the question I was expecting.

“If the person truly does care about you, then not only will they not be worried or disgusted by it, but they will also try and help you heal from it. And before you ask, yes, I know that somewhere out there is willing to be that person.” As we hit a red light, the last one before we get to the hospital, I give her a hug and quickly kiss her forehead. Surprisingly, she doesn’t try to back away from the kiss like she normally would.

Once we’ve pulled into the parking lot and get ourselves a close spot another thought comes to me. “You just need to be willing, open and when you become most comfortable with him, honest. How long that takes is up to you.”

The trip through the hospital is spent in silence, but this isn’t an uncomfortable silence, more like a contemplative one. The silence between us continues until we are called in to see him.

“Hello there, Luna, Moonshade. How have you both been? And congratulations on getting the cast and sling removed.” His smile is as bright and welcoming as I remember from our last visit.

“Hi doctor, thank you for that, and I’m doing… alright I guess.” He obviously does not buy her short answer as she avoids looking at him. Guess I’m going to be the one to bring this up.

“Hey doc, I am… confused right now I guess you can say.”

“Oh? And why is that? Does it have to do with some of what we talked about a few weeks ago?” His expression as he turns his full attention to us shows he is genuinely interested. He even pushes the keyboard under his desk and leans in closer with his chin resting atop folded hands.

“Yea, we… we got the results back yesterday. And we are in fact mother and daughter.” His nod and smile shock me a little. I figured he would be surprised at the news.

“Well, congratulations on the news. How do you feel about it, Moonshade?” I figured he would ask me, since I told him. But then again, maybe he is more worried about her mental state than mine.

My daughter's deep intake of air is all I need to know that she is still having conflicting thoughts on the matter. “I’m… I don’t know how I should feel, but what I am feeling is anger and hatred along with relief and some happiness.”

“Alright, and why are you feeling that way?” Despite his note taking, he never removes his eyes from Moonshade.

“I… I want to hate m- Luna because if it wasn’t for her, none of what I… what happened to me might not have happened. I… I wouldn't have… suffered the… horrors I did.” Her hand wipes across her eyes in an attempt to clear away the gathered tears. “But.. but also I… I see this as the… second chance I’ve been wanting. A chance to have a loving family, again.”

“Moonshade, what you are feeling, it’s perfectly natural for someone that has been in your position. What about you, Luna?”

“I want to be there for my- for Moonshade, give her the life she deserves, to love and be there for her. On the other hand, I… I gave her up without a fight and I feel as if… I do not deserve to be given that chance.”

He leans back as I finish with his hands cupping the back of his head. “I can see you both want something positive, but feel you do not deserve it due to different reasons, which are completely legitimate.” Exhaling a deep sigh he looks at the both of us for a moment. “And I am guessing you wanted to hear what I have to say, huh? Well, from what I have seen from you both the only thing I can suggest is try to embrace it. Once a day call each other mom and daughter, also sit down and talk with each other about both the negative and positive feelings you have. I honestly think you should give this new relationship a chance, but don’t force it.”

“Thank you doctor, we will give it a shot.” For the rest of the hour he mostly focuses on my daughter and going over some of the homework he has given her in regards to helping her cope with the trauma of her past, though he does take some time and talks to me about my past mistakes as well.

All too quickly our session is finished and he dissipates a few last words of advice and encouragement before we say our goodbyes.

As we make our way to Moonshade's physical therapy appointment, we discuss our thoughts on what doctor Sunshine said about our new predicament, even listing off the pros and cons of giving it a shot. He was right, seems we both have more pros than cons when it comes to trying to build our relationship.

Once we have made it to the physical therapy office, our conversation has turned to small talk, which the usually gloomy teen actually smiles through, even giggling a little at certain times. Come to think of it, after talking with him and getting the D.N.A. results, it feels like a weight has been lifted from me as well.

The hour long physical therapy is for the most part taking her range of motion measurements and general health questions before starting her off on some easy exercises for her shoulders and legs. As Moonshade gets to work, the therapist hands me a stack of papers detailing stretches and exercises she can do at home, along with some tools for some of them before returning his focus on what she is doing.

I can not help but frown as she seems to shrink back into herself as the therapist tries to engage her in small, to which she seems to force her replies until it is time for use to leave. After a couple last words of advice and support from her therapist we finally make our way to the car, with my phone reading ten thirty.

She might hate this idea, but the sooner we can get her acclimated to the school the better. “You getting hungry, Moonshade?” With the both of us strapped in I turn the car in the direction of the high school once we hit the main street.

“Yea, a little. Think we can hit that steakhouse again… m-mom?” The way her eyes light up at the possibility… it just hurts me to deny her the request, specially when she called me mom.

“Sorry daughter of mine, but for your own good, both myself and Tia think it’s best you eat lunch in the school cafeteria.”

Her look of… maybe horror, or just nervousness is priceless, to the point I can’t help but laugh the whole way to the school as she tries to argue against the decision. Even as I park in the faculty lot and we head inside, she is still trying to argue against my decision, which only makes me laugh more.

Hm, Sunset and Applejack should be on their free period right now, maybe I co- My thoughts are interrupted by one of our newer students. His grey skin is a couple shades darker than Moonshade’s and his long, black hair sticks out in multiple spikes. A pair of half framed, silver glasses hang on his nose as a dark blue vest covers his white shirt. “Hello there, Midnight. Can I help you with something?”

He expression while standing there is a stoic one as he looks in my general direction. "Yes ma'am." His tone is flat but even as he speaks, just like how it was when he first transferred here. "I'm searching for the science lab."

"The science lab is on the second floor in the left wing." I know he is new here, and doesn't know Moonshade, but maybe getting her to acquaint herself with one of the other students besides Sunset and her friends would do her some good. "Is there something special you need in the science lab? I thought this was your lunch hour? Oh, and Midnight Radiance, this is a new student who will be enrolling next semester, Moonshade." Hmm, that might not be a bad idea. I step aside, away from Moonshade and wait to see what she does.

"Hi." Just as I thought, her greeting not only sounds forced, but her body is now very stiff, as if tensing to defend herself.

The blankness of his gaze as his eyes bore into mine creeps me out a little before he replies. "It is, but I just want to know where the class is ahead of time, so I won't get lost when looking for the class. I refuse to be tardy." He stands firm in place, like a soldier before looking over at her.


"Hi." He responds back, calmly, showing no emotion on his face as he gives Moonshade the same tense greeting she gave him.

Looking over at Moonshade I seriously have doubts about this, as she is actively trying to avoid his gaze or even acknowledging him. Giving her a slight nudge earns me a glare and a sigh as she extends her hand grumpily while staying focused on something else. "Hi, I'm Moonshade."

Midnight turns to face her all the way before raising his hand and taking hers in his hand, his face is kept as a completely emotionless mask. “Nice to meet you, Moonshade.”


After the handshake he moves his hand back to his side. Even though he stands here emotionless, his mind is running a hundred miles per second.

He gives a small smile. "So, do know where I can find Ms...Harshwhinny? She's my science teacher.”

The boy's moment of freezing sort of worries me and I can't help but notice how stiff the handshake was. At his question I shake my head, clearing out some of the thoughts. "Yes, I do. She's--- know what, why don't I get you two a guide to show you around the school. I will get in touch with your afternoon teachers and let them know you are getting a better tour of our facilities."

As those words come out of my lips I do not know if it was fate, or plain ole stupid luck, but the sounds of three very familiar voices fast approaches, arguing over some kind of event or another. It can not be that bad, letting those three act as chaperones, will it? Please girls, do not mess this up.

Sure enough, the trio of mischief makers round the bed, greeting myself and Moonshade by name. Before they can introduce themselves to Midnight I interrupt. "Girls, I have a really important and very big favor to ask of you. Can you show Moonshade and Midnight around campus, please? Answer any questions they may have along with giving them a full tour.?"

With matching grins of... either pure evil or mischief they look at their older peers while answering simultaneously. "Yes Vice-principal Luna, we would love to. CUTIE MARK CRUSADER TOUR GUIDES, YAY!"

"Huh?" Midnight turns to face the girls as they yell loudly. As they yell, his hair is thrown back some in a comical fashion, from the exertion of just how loud they were yelling.

I can't help but try to hide my snickering at him as Moonshade just explodes with laughter, which is soon joined by the three troublemakers. Soon enough the younger trio grab both Moonshade and Midnight and drag them off, despite the size difference.

As the five teens round the first corner I finally head to the office so I can join Tia and Raven for lunch.

Throughout the rest of the day I find it hard to concentrate on my work due to my thoughts drifting back to Moonshade and how she must be doing while surrounded by her peers. What didn’t help is the fact that the crusaders have, yet again, blown up the chemistry lab. Thankfully, Celestia gives me the go ahead to leave early. Apparently Lily wants to experience the full Halloween treatment, to include wearing a costume, which means I get to take them shopping while Celestia works.

A smile plays on my lips as I notice Moonshade, Lily, Sunset and Rarity are standing around next to my car, engaged in some kind of conversation. Before I can get close enough to hear what they are talking about, Rarity looks up and spots me with a grin, which draws the attention of the others. Lily and Sunset are also wearing a grin that just screams mischief while Moonshade is obviously on the defensive.

“Darling, you simply must join us, I have a wonderful costume idea for you that I know you’ll love.” As the five of us get buckled in, Rarity, who is sitting in the middle in the back, tries to continue their earlier conversation. “Plus, I think I can get that boy, Midnight Radiance, to join us.”

“Why would I care about some stupid guy being there? He was a complete ass! On top of that, why do you think I want to wear some stupid costume, anyway?” The round of giggles from the back seat at Moonshade’s defensiveness, specially regarding her comments about Midnight, peeks my curiosity.

“What happened between you and Midnight, Moonshade?”

“Nothing, just… just let it go. Forget you ever heard that.”

“Oh darling, it most definitely was not nothing. Why, I saw it with my own eyes, he---”

“Rarity, if you tell that story again, the one where you're romantically charged brain saw things that were not there, I swear I will kill you right now.” I can hear the fluster in her voice, even over her rising anger.

“Calm down, Moonshade. Rarity, don’t tease her anymore about Midnight Radiance.” I hope this works. “Now, I know you don’t want to dress up or go out for Halloween, Moonshade, so I’m going to give you a choice. Either A, you can go out with the others and not wear a costume or B, you can stay home and help pass out candy, but you have to wear a costume.”

“Do I really have to? Why can’t I choose option C? Stay in my room and not come out.” As expected, Moonshade turns back to face forward in her chair while angrily folding her arms atop her chest.

“Nope, either A or B, those are your options.” With a smile you pull up into the Party City’s parking lot. “We only have a few before Halloween, so either you can choose, or I will choose for you, along with the costume, if I make you wear one.”

I can just imagine all the horrible thoughts going through her mind as Sunset and Lily try to stifle their laughter at Moonshade’s reaction. With a shake of my head and a barely held in chuckle we make our way to the entrance of the store, only to find it flanked by two older looking teens and three juveniles. A quick look around almost raises my suspicions enough to cancel this trip as I can’t seem to locate the body guard’s SUV.

“Surprise, were you looking for me, gorgeous?” All of a sudden my world goes completely black as a pair of breasts press into my back. As soon as the words are whispered in my ear a pair of soft, moist lips kiss the back of the appendage before nipping at my earlobe, earning a couple awws from Lily, Sunset and Rarity.

“No, I was not. I was looking for a respectful woman who is also beautiful and classy.” At my words she backs away with a fake humph of annoyance as the peanut gallery laughs at the banter. “But now that you are here, you can help me out. You see, Moonshade does not want to go trick-or-treating or even dress up. So right now I am debating on what I am going to have her do if she does not make her mind up by let’s say… we get to the finish line.”

“Sounds like fun, I’m in.” With a smile and a quick, sloppy kiss to Chrysalis’ cheek I entwine my arm in hers and head back to the store.

Before we can get any further the three pre-teens approach happily, beelining it for Lily while also catching Sunset and Rarity up in their conversation. Moonshade in the meantime moves backwards, closer to us in an attempt to not draw attention to herself.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice the two older kids watching the trio. The older pair could possibly be twins, despite the fact that their skin is the opposite shades of orange. As they continue talking amongst themselves the one with deep blue hair nudges his brother while looking in our direction. Please, do not let them be talking about what I think they are. There is only one reason for them to be looking at us and gesturing like that, my daughter, and seems she caught the eye of that shy, fiery red haired kid.