• Published 10th Jun 2016
  • 1,585 Views, 31 Comments

Night Mares Book 2: Children of the Night - Stormbringer



This picks up where Night Mares 1 left off. Married bliss is here for the two new married princesses. But will the past destroy their happiness as soon as it has started?

  • ...
0
 31
 1,585

CHAPTER TWO: Angel Of Darkness

The three princesses were seated in Celestia’s private quarters. Celestia had arranged to have some good wine delivered and now they sat in one of the most private parts of the castle.

“My beloved Star,” said Luna, reaching out and taking Twilight’s hoof. “You need to know what very few know. And that’s the whole history of this chapter in Equestria’s past. It’s something that caused great strife between my sister and me.

I know the history books record that the division that resulted in Nightmare Moon began with my resenting ponies sleeping through my beautiful night and missing all it has to offer.

Through my stubbornness and immaturity, yes I was thousands of years old and not mature yet, I rebelled and let the darker part of myself out. The rest you know, you had a part in that history being you freed me from my darker self. The only positive side is that it led to the greatest thing to happen to me ever. That is you My Love.

But that is actually only the last part of the story. It goes back further to when two immortal princesses arrived in this land. We met with the factions that ruled the lands, they had just agreed to put differences aside and live under one banner. We were made the rulers because the three races could agree that Alicorns wouldn’t favor any one of the races.

We built our original castle and all appeared to be going well. We studied everything we could about the new lands of Equestria. That is when we learned of the legend of the Tree of Harmony. But before we could seek it out, word came that a land to the north was under the tyranny of Sombra, a self-professed king. So at the advisement of Star Swirl the Bearded, we went north and was able to defeat the despot. We thought we’d won, but he was able to make the Crystal Empire disappear. Nopony knew how long it would last.

So even our victory was hollow and we went back home feeling that we’d lost.

You could imagine our horror to find that in our absence Star Swirl had fought off an attack of sirens. But he was no match for the next attack. Discord had come without anypony noticing and was intent on turning all of Equestria into a land of chaos.

Celestia and I started searching for the only thing we had read that could possibly defeat him. The Tree of Harmony which contained the Elements of Harmony.

After we found that we’d built our castle almost on top of the cave of the tree, we went to face the menace. It wasn’t as easy as just walking up to him and saying; ‘Hey Discord! Look what we have,’ zap!

Discord isn’t a murderous fiend like Sombra, but he’s never been concerned if what he does causes harm to anypony or even death.

I won’t go through what Celestia and I had to face and what his chaos did to innocent ponies. His jokes can be horrible given time for him to do his worst. I know you faced some of that, but he was only getting warmed up.

After we defeated Discord, we took stock of the kingdom. And what we found wasn’t good. Crops destroyed, lands changed, deserts where once lush fields were. The whole of the ecosystem was on the verge of collapse. There were displaced families and orphans everywhere.

This is where the friction between my sister and me started.”

Luna took a moment to collect her thoughts. This was hard on her to remember the problems that she went through and even caused.

Twilight, sensing her mate’s distress, gave Luna a hug which Luna gladly received.

“Thank you My Star. But to continue;

Celestia and I had differing opinions on how to best handle the crises. I proposed that I take ponies that were displaced or orphaned and removed from family and set up a colony elsewhere. That way there would be less stress on the already depleted resources. We had passed through a land of mostly shadow and darkness on our way to here. I knew if done correctly, it would be a perfect place for a new population to take root.

But Celestia disagreed, she said that there was enough stress on the population. That to lessen it, even a little could cause a total collapse of what we had. Instead of chaos, anarchy would reign.

But night after night, I’d see the homeless and dispossessed wandering the streets and country, scavenging and stealing what was needed to survive.

So I decided that I would disguise myself and bring to these ponies what I could liberate from the castle kitchens. If you’d have seen me then, you’d have thought it was Nightmare Moon. My coat was darker, I made myself taller and because I was making myself more adjusted to the night than I was, my pupils became like a cat’s eye. I also put on dark battle armor with a moon on it.

The ponies started to call me The Angel of Darkness. And I did what I could, but it wasn’t enough. I went back to Celestia and begged her to reconsider he stance on the new colony, but she refused.

That night, as I thought about it, I decided that I’d do it without my sister’s permission. So I found a spell that would levitate ponies to follow me. I made sure that the spell was for the orphan and dispossessed, and only ones that would be willing to go.

I flew through the night calling out to the ponies below with the spell. After I got to the edge of Equestria, I had hundreds following me.

When we made it to the shadow land, I gathered the ponies around me. I explained that this would be their new home. I put the older ponies in charge and promised that I would visit, but they were free to live their own lives.

I went back from time to time and was pleased to see that they were thriving. But nothing can be hidden forever.

Celestia asked to meet with me and behind closed doors, she asked me why I went against her wishes.

I told her that I disagreed with her line of reasoning and I did what I thought was best. It was the first time I ever saw my sister that angry. After a good hour of screaming back and forth, I stormed out and from that point until my return from being Nightmare Moon, we were never on as good of terms as before.

Unfortunately, I’ve not been back since my return from the moon. And I’m ashamed that it has taken something bad to happen for me to return.”

Luna looked at her sister;

“Oh Tia!” said Luna, tears were streaming down her cheeks.

“Luna,” said Celestia, “you were forgiven ages ago. I suffered probably as much as you did when you were in the moon. You with your forced isolation and me with the isolation I forced on myself.”

The two sisters embraced and cried for several minutes. Twilight looked on with tears as well. Twilight was feeling the pain of her wife and sister-in-law. She joined the hug and cried with both sisters who embraced their new family member.

After the three got control of themselves, they sat back, had a drink of the wine and Luna continued.

“The rest you know, I was justifiably exiled to the moon. You saw the signs and knew of my returning. My sister did as well and knew your potential. Your studies gave you the knowledge and power to defeat me. But you didn’t have the abilities yet because the Elements of Harmony are also the Elements of Friendship. Once you let true friendship into your heart, you were able to overcome the darkness that had gripped me. Freeing me to become loved by the pony that liberated me.

That is the history.

But now a pony from the Land of Shadows, as they’ve named it, has come to ask help as per my pledge.”

Luna looked at her sister.

“Luna,” said Celestia, “what was done in the past was done. Now there is a land of free ponies who, whether they know it or not, are a part of Equestria and as such, all treaties and promises will be fulfilled.”

“Thank you, my sister,” said Luna. Then looking at her new wife, “I’m sorry that I’m going to have to call on you, your guard and your friends. I fear that the Elements of Harmony will be needed. And because the entity threatened to come back with an army, I fear your new solders will be put to the test.”

“I’m sure my friends will come,” said Twilight, “and knowing Rainbow Dash, she’ll probably get a rush knowing that there may be a fight. I only hope that she realizes that this is serious.”

“Then tonight we’ll meet with Andromeda and find out the particulars,” said Luna to her sister finally smiling. “Until then, I think my wife and I have some unfinished business to take care of.”

“I just bet,” said Celestia smiling.

Later in Luna and Twilight rooms…

“Before we get back to what needs done,” said Luna with a wink, “let me retrieve a spell that you’ll need.”

It only took moments and Luna was back making love with Twilight like there was no tomorrow, which she secretly feared.

The two lover princesses were catching their breath and enjoying the afterglow when Twilight turned over held Luna as she lay on her back.

“Moon,” said Twilight, “I know I’ve not been doing this for very long. But this time felt different. I could feel your passion and love, but there was something more. Am I just imagining or do you need to tell me something?”

Luna thought about it for a second. In the past she would’ve kept deep things to herself, even from Celestia. But now she realized that with her now being wed to Twilight and pledging herself body, mind and soul, she needed to reveal all. Luna pulled Twilight close and kissed her with all her soul.

“Star, my only love.” Said Luna, “I’m afraid.”

“Of what?”

“Remember when I spoke of past mortal lovers, how grieved I was with the passing of each? How I had sworn to never take another mortal lover? My fondest dreams have been answered with you at my side. A love for the ages.

Now, just as our wedded lives just starts, there comes a situation that could threaten that.”

“How so?”

“We might have to go into battle. We are immortal, but as I had said, we are susceptible to violence and accidents. I have been in battle many times, I have seen comrades fall. Immortal ones who perished like any other pony.

Now I fear because if I were to lose you, I couldn’t live. Of all I have done in my centuries, you are the crowning glory. I want for us to be together when we tire of ruling and hand the kingdom to a younger generation. Then you and I would find our own paradise and enjoy the ‘Eternal Now’ of our existence.”

“Moon,” said Twilight, “although I haven’t lived as long as you, you’re the crowning achievement of my life as well. You’ve taught me what life and living are all about.

I may not have been in such world shaping battles as you have. But the minions of Queen Chrysalis weren’t just playing tag. And I also faced that terrible demon of darkness who was trying to cover the world in eternal darkness.

Who was that again?”

Twilight giggled and kissed Luna. Luna smiled at her wife.

“You said ‘the world could throw itself at us and we would stand without fear’.

We now may have to face that possibility. And oddly enough, thinking of such a threat, I’m not afraid knowing that I’ll have you at my side. If I fall, then it’s with the knowledge that there could’ve been nothing else in life that could have been better than to have had your love and to have been your wife, however short the time.”

“Oh Star!” Said Luna, tears flowing, “never has anypony spoke such words of love to me before. I was right in choosing you. And you give me both strength and hope.”

The two held each other close, laughing and crying and just feeling the love of the other until they were forced to have to go do the duties of the moon and stars.