• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,997 Views, 107 Comments

Statues - TypewriterError



When is being brave...being yourself?

  • ...
2
 107
 1,997

Part 7: Mercy

The soft bristled brush helped to smooth Majesty's mane as her mother hummed gently. Majesty stared at herself in the mirror. Would her parents go into the garden after she was frozen and see her? Would she be able to see them?

Her room was all packed up. All of the gifts that had been given to her she designated to be given to her cousins or, to those who were still alive, to have their presents returned with an honest but tactful explanation. Grandpa Bass had taken the instruments, books, and other gifts back with the most disappointment, but he seemed to finally understand.

The typewriter and paper from Grandpa Snap sat in the office downstairs. He had passed away a year ago so he was spared being disappointed. Aunt Peony had understood and was thankful to have the sewing machine and books back. Majesty never explained exactly why she would no longer need the presents given to her, having her parents explain it after the fact would give them a chance to talk about it, to heal.

Last night had been sleepless for Majesty. Her bed was the only thing left in the room. The last time she would sleep in her bed in her room...never again. Even if she did eventually become a pony again she wouldn’t have the same bed...her parents just down the hall...they’d be gone. The emptiness had filled the room with nonexistent echoes, sounds made by unfamiliarity and imagination.

“I love you, Mom.” Majesty said.

“I love you too, my li... Majesty.”

“You can call me ‘my little Majesty’... I don’t mind.”

“My little Majesty... I love you too.”

“Where’s Dad?”

“He’s...packing.”

“Are you moving?”

“Yes...we’ll find somewhere else. Perhaps close to Grandpa Bass.”

“...If you and Dad can stand to adopt someone in the future..." her tears overtook her, "I’m so sorry...”

“Majesty...” Her mother nuzzled the back of her head, allowing the mane she had been brushing to puff out again, “Majesty, no one can fill your spot in our lives and our hearts. But, we are proud of you and you have nothing to be sorry over.” Majesty sniffed and stopped shaking somehow. She needed to be brave...for Mom and Dad. Her mother left a kiss in her hair, so much like a lion’s.

Majesty could see through her mother’s bedroom window that the stars were beginning to come out. She would have to leave soon. They were all going to walk together, as one family, one last time. Celestia would tell her parents when she no longer wanted them there. Her dad poked his head in.

“So, are you going to put that on, Fuzzball?” he said, indicating the shield resting on the bed.

“Yup.” Majesty and her mom said in unison. Majesty could see his eyes were slightly red. He probably hadn’t just been packing.

“I love you, Dad.” Majesty said.

“May I help you put your shield on?” he asked, not looking at her.

“Yes, of course. Thank you.” she said. He didn’t need to help her, which was why she wanted him to. He picked up the shield magically and strapped it across his daughter’s shoulders. Majesty quickly placed her head beneath his chin. He tensed at first but then put his left foreleg around her neck and kissed her right cheek.

“I love you too.” he said, “So... how much more time?”

“I don’t know. I think once Celestia lands in the garden...usually after the moon rises.”

“It’s risen.” he stated.

The family of three stood in front of the dresser in the master bedroom. The three of them stared in the mirror at each other. It felt like everyone wanted to speak but no one wanted to say anything. But really...what more needed to be said? In all honesty...words didn't seem to be enough right now.

They should probably go...

One of them had to lead...

‘Well, let’s go then.” Majesty sniffed. Her mother stepped back and Majesty crossed in front of her towards the door. Her parents followed her as she descended the stairs...for the last time. How many times had she run up and down them? She could almost hear the voices of relatives fill the foyer that the staircase framed. Too many memories. Could her parents really recover? She opened the front door magically and stepped into the night, lit by a half moon. When she reached the bottom of her front stairs she turned to wait for her parents. They stopped at the top and looked at her curiously.

“Please...walk next to me.” she asked. Her mother gave a soft smile and approached her left. Her father approached her right. The muscles of his face were tense in the moonlight. The flagstone path was eroding beneath their hooves. She had never paid attention to it since her father had installed it when she was very young, before she got her cutie mark. The empty streets echoed the silence, heightening the stillness of night. The road seemed too short which led to the entrance of the garden. Her parents stopped at the entrance, expecting her to keep going.

“Please...come with me. I know it’s hard but I need both of you here with me.” Majesty said, not looking back at them.

“Of course...” her mother choked. Her parents stood next to her again. The garden...her home now. The place she...couldn’t ever leave. The shield on her back had never seemed so heavy. She wanted to turn back, to run back to spend the rest of her days with her parents until they grew old and died with many happy memories of the three of them together. She had not done enough for them. But, she had decided, so she kept putting her hooves forward and moving towards her goal. Turn left...

“I’m proud of you.” her father said, suddenly. He didn’t need to say more.

Princess Celestia stood in front of Discord’s statue again, staring at it, her body tense and shaking. Was this always hard for her? She stiffened and turned to look at the family of three approaching. She nodded, respectfully to Majesty’s parents before addressing them,

“I cannot imagine how hard this is for you. I have a gift for each of you to show my deep gratitude. I can never repay you for what you have given up, I can only try to comfort you somehow..."

“Princess Celestia, pardon me for interrupting, but, if you’re suggesting taking all memories of Majesty away...we...we’d rather not forget her. We’d rather miss her and be proud of her. Please...don’t make us forget her.” her mother stammered. Celestia smiled and nodded.

“Very well. But, with Majesty I am taking away 21 years of your life...”

“Every year has been worth it...” her father said and Majesty instantly looked at him in surprise, not because of what he had said, but because his voice sounded...younger. A pony her age returned her look. He was her dad...but...

“I can only give you your years of life back. To start your family again. To have a child that you can raise to hear of your first daughter.” Majesty looked in awe at her mother...her age...how different she looked! Her father magically removed the glasses from his eyes and blinked. Her mother and father stared at each other as if entranced.

“But...” her mother began, turning her face away from her husband to Princess Celestia.

“Mom...Dad...please...take what she has given you.” Majesty said. They could have another child...another family all over again. Both of her parents looked at each other shyly then back to Celestia.

“Thank you.” her dad said.

“You’re welcome...now...I have to ask you to leave. What happens next is between Majesty and me alone.”

Majesty turned to her parents and threw her forelegs around their necks, holding them close to herself.

“I love you both...take care of my little brother or sister...please.” she begged. They hugged her back, tightly...and she let go for the last time. They turned around and left the garden, only looking back when they turned right to head towards the exit. Majesty faced Celestia, her tears finally breaking through.

“Thank you...” she said. The princess's body shook as she kept her face stoic.

“You’re welcome. It’s all I could give them since they chose to not forget you.”

“Do you do that with everypony’s family, the ones who decides to become a statue?” Celestia stared at her for awhile in a way that Majesty could not read her emotions. Finally, with perceptible difficulty she spoke,

“Majesty...did I tell you why I forgave Discord?”

“Because he showed you it wasn’t his fault for your brother’s death?”

“Well, that alone would not have eventually changed me...but besides that there was something else.”

“What?”

“He showed me mercy.”

“I don’t understand...”

“Majesty...being turned to stone...it will be painful...He described the pain and the reports of other statues confirmed it...but he was the only one who did not torment me with what I’ve done...because he showed me mercy and didn’t torture me every night though I deserve to be tortured...”

"I still don't understand...if these other statues agreed—”

“Majesty...” the Princess said and looked her straight in the eye, “you are the first pony to agree to be in the garden.”