• Published 31st May 2016
  • 462 Views, 0 Comments

Shadows of My Past - Calligraphy Legends



How does one become a force of darkness? How does another become orphaned without their knowledge? How do two know of the kingdom of the north? And why is this city of one an called an empire?

  • ...
 0
 462

~Part 5: A Royal Visit~

Starswirl helped Stella repair her kingdom, explaining to her where Ombra had been and how he had no clue he was practicing dark magic. Stella mourned the loss of her family, nopony - not even Starswirl - were sure what happened to her loving mother and innocent baby sister. All she knew was that she was alone. She took over as queen, but never even tried to seek out a companion. She couldn’t stand the idea of starting a family with the possibility of losing them.

Stella held the Empire together. Never expanding it, but never allowing it to shrink. The lands to the south soon began to flourish with ponies. A new kingdom rose up called Equestria, but they didn’t seem interested in trying to invade the Empire so Stella didn’t pay much attention to them. Starswirl, knowing that Stella was the only one left to rule, made sure that she would be able to rule over her kingdom. Thus, he created an age preservation spell and placed it on her. The spell used up so much magical energy, he knew it would be too dangerous to try it again or allow others to cast. Because of this, the spell was destroyed soon after.

Stella saw much rise and fall over her years as queen. The world began to change, in more ways than one. The crystal pony race still remained in the core city, but more and more of the other three races began to mingle with each other. Learning how to work together rather than just existing alongside each other.

Stella ruled her empire quietly, not really keeping touch with any neighboring kingdoms. She didn’t even know who came to rule Equestria until she received a letter asking to visit. Stella wasn’t sure why, but she accepted. And soon, the princesses arrived.

They were both, to Stella’s surprise, alicorns. The taller one, whom she assumed to be the older one, was as white as snow. Her mane and tail flowed down her, the petal pink bringing out her lilac eyes. She noted her cutie mark, a shining sun. The shorter one was an evening sky blue with a morning blue mane that framed her face, her tail curling like a cloud. Her cutie mark was of a navy blue cloud with a white crescent moon,. The sisters were so different. Neither adorned the jewels like herself, they only wore a crown each.

“Welcome to the Crystal Empire,” Stella greeted them. “I am Queen Stella Della Speranza.”

“It is an honor to meet you,” the white alicorn said, she had a gentle and sweet voice. “I am Princess Celestia, and this is Princess Luna.”

“We are honored to be welcomed into thy kingdom,” the blue alicorn said, her tone was much stronger but also had an underlying elegance.

“Why did you request an audience with me?” Stella asked.

“We are your neighbor to the south,” Celestia began.

“And we would appreciate the knowledge that thou will be a friendly neighbor,” Luna finished.

“Do not worry, stay out of my lands and I will stay out of yours,” Stella explained.

The three royals worked together to write up a peace treaty, and Stella actually found herself mildly enjoying their company. She couldn’t help but laugh at their occasional bantering, remembering what it was like when she was just a filly. She teared up a little at the memory of her wise father and loving mother, of her sweet little infant sister, and of a time when her twin still had love in his heart.

“Is something the matter?” Luna asked, perplexed at the pool of tears forming in the unicorn's eyes.

“I-I am sorry,” Stella apologized, brushing away the tears from her shining green eyes. “You just reminded me of when I was a filly.”

“How so?” Celestia asked; the queen noticed that her smaller sister seemed to have an older speech pattern.

“Well,” Stella thought for a moment, not sure how to word it, “I suppose you just remind me of a happier time. It’s been so long since I can remember what it was like to be a filly.”

“Doth thine have no family?” Luna tilted her head a little in wonder as Stella turned her back on the pair.

“Not anymore,” Stella whispered.

Luna followed the saddened unicorns gaze to a portrait on the wall. It was a family, a mother, a father, two young unicorns (one being Stella), and a pegasus foal. Celestia dropped her head in understanding, thinking on how to comfort the saddened unicorn. Luna, on the other hoof, moved to her side on instinct. She wrapped her wing around her back in a sign of kindness.

“We are sorry,” Luna said quietly to her. “We understand the pain of loss.”

“But you’re not alone,” Celestia reminded her, moving to her side. “If you ever need us, we’re just a letter away.”

After a few moments of somber silence, Stella decided it was time they finished up so she could get back to work. The three remained in touch, coming to consider one another friends because they all understood the demands of royal life. They wrote to each other often, and visited when they could. They rather enjoyed having tea together. And while they came to knew each other almost as closely as sisters, they never spoke of their pasts.

Author's Note:

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them.