• Published 25th May 2016
  • 1,378 Views, 21 Comments

The Color Before the Sun - Some Jerk



Life isn't always simple. It's usually messy and chaotic. Relationships more so than anything else.

  • ...
3
 21
 1,378

Island

Sunset lay on her bed, lounging as she scrolled through her recent messages again. So far the only one who hadn't responded to her saying they were busy this evening was Rainbow, but she usually took an absurdly long time to respond to messages.

“Work. Busy. God knows what the fuck. Absolutely getting high. And no response.” Sunset groused as she kept going through her recent history.

It was a warm early summer evening, shortly after graduation, and Sunset was bored out of her mind. A delicate breeze blew in from the open window, dancing across her skin. Suddenly, her phone went off.

<Car's out of the shop. We need to take it to River Road to see how she's doing>

Finally, something to do!

<Yeah, definitely! Come by and get me, I'm sitting here doing nothing>

<Good, come outside then. I'm already here>

<Ugh, let me put pants on first then...>

<I can’t decide if you’re serious or not.>

<I am. Five minutes>

Sunset stood from her bed, grabbed her nearest comfy pair of jeans and put them on. She stood in front of the mirror, debating how she looked before deciding to just toss a light jacket over her tank top. Before long she was headed downstairs, grabbing her keys and a cell phone charger off the counter in the kitchen and stuffed them into her bag. She quickly poked her head into the living room where her roommates were engaged in some over the top video game.

“Hey Roach, Bear. I’m heading out with Rainbow for a while. I’ll call if anything comes up.”

“Uh huh. Oh BULLSHIT HIDDEN MOVEMENT MY ASS”

“Yeah, yeah. We’ll see you later, don’t do anything we wouldn’t do.”

Sunset just looked at the two grown men now yelling at a television filled with tiny men and aliens. She shook her head and headed out the front door, where she was greeted by Rainbow Dash leaning against her still running Mustang. She was wearing a ribbed tank top and a pair of baggy camouflage shorts.

“Finally! Felicity has all new speakers and got bored out. Let’s see what she can do!”

“I’m almost excited, but really, just terrified. Let’s not burn anything this time, I think the other girls are busy and won’t be able to bail us out.”

“Yeah” Rainbow scratched the back of her head, “Flutters is hanging out with Tree Hugger tonight so…I’m pretty sure she’s going on a little trip”

Sunset briefly mulled the concept of a hallucinating Fluttershy and quickly concluded that was something she definitely did not want to deal with that evening. Fluttershy’s friendship with the local stoner contingent was a gift and a curse; while she was a tiny bit more outgoing, things did have a tendency to become interesting to say the least.

“So, the usual? River Road, see what it can do, loud music, let the night find us?”

“Pretty much, hopefully someone is doing something cool.”

No sooner had they gotten in the car did Rainbow peel out of the complex her little condo-townhome-apartment was in. Sunset knew the usual route they would take, wandered many nights with practiced ease. She fumbled with the connection between her phone and the new stereo system, flashing brightly in the dark cabin of the trundling beast. With only minor difficulty, she found her way to her music and the exact track she wanted.

“Seriously? Thirty-three again?”

“Oh just shut up, I like it. I’ll let you pick the song for River Road this time, fair?”

“Fine, but you can’t complain when it’s hardcore or something again”

“Okay, so it’ll be post-hardcore screamo shit while you keep trying to convince me you're too cool to have feelings, while probably secretly having all of the feelings. Got it.”

Rainbow just grumbled under her breath and kept driving. Before long, they were headed over the bridge towards their semi-private vehicular playground, passing the fishermen and crabbers setting out their traps off the bridge. The pathway up to the road was a steep climb, from the base of it one could see the massive cliffside mansions that dotted the twisting course of River Road. Though dark and lacking in many streetlights, the road was fairly lit from the opulent lanterns and portico lighting that adorned the gates to the lavish driveways. At the top of the hill, they rolled to a stop and Rainbow took control of the music once again.

“No, no, no… hm. Ooh, haven’t heard this in ages!”

The stereo blasted out a rapid drum intro, while Rainbow mashed the accelerator to the floor and her left foot into the clutch, swinging her right arm forward into first gear as the car’s wheels spun and smoked as the back end swerved a little before launch, right as the guitars on the track kicked in. With an immense lurch, the car was off and running. Right off the first uphill, Rainbow kicked her left foot down hard on the clutch and spun the wheel into the turn, sending the car sideways through the corner, coming out straight on the road when traction reasserted control. They barreled down the road as Sunset gripped the overhead handle in Rainbows car, which had affectionately been named the "oh-shit" handle, as they slid sideways around another turn on the winding cliffside road. The windows were down, and though normally the area would smell of fresh dew and grass clippings, all that you could smell was tiresmoke. They continued down the twisting road like that, radio blasting and tires squealing until the road more or less leveled out by the golf course.

"WHOOO HAHAHA! Oh shit, I thought you were gonna lose it on that turn! Okay but seriously dash, if you could have a real mutant superpower, what would it be?"

Sunset asked as she rolled the window up a little, in order to light a cigarette which she passed off to Dash, before lighting her own.

Rainbow Dash took a drag and thought for a moment before responding "Definitely weather control"


Sunset gaped at her best friend. "Really? Not something, I don't know, 'cooler'? Like magnetism or a metal skeleton, or literally anything else ?"

"No way, it'd be awesome! Throwing lightning bolts like some old god, make myself fly with a tornado, freezing shit. It's like a super power sampler!"

Sunset simply shook her head and took a drag. "Whatever. I was good with pyromancy back home so that'd be boring. I'd go with metal bones. Or a rapid healing ability. Probably both."

"Aw come on, that'd kinda suck for doin' it. Can't be on top, cause you weigh 800 pounds. I never really asked but I doubt you're a bottom."

"Yeah, that would suck. Crush a dudes pelvis or the breath out of some girl? Then probably telepathy, that'd be fun. Fun for all sorts of reasons." she finished wistfully as she ashed her cigarette out the car window.

"And on the topic of romance!" Sunset wheeled on her friend like a predatory animal "Rarity's infamously loose-yet-tight lips let it go that you are really into someone! So, why does she know yet I do not?"

"Not a big thing, you just don't know her. That's all." Rainbow responded, without taking her eyes from the road.

"Okay so it's definitely someone I know. Oh no, you're not going after Lyra or Bon-Bon are you? Those two basically JUST got together."

"What? No, not those two. She's way hotter"

"Mmhmm Mmhmm keep going. I could see you going for a really girly type. Maybe really into fashion, and herself."

Rainbow dash choked mid drag and sputtered "Rarity? Are you fucking kidding me?"

"What, it's perfectly legitimate! It makes sense to me at least."

"Yeah, well, hell would have to freeze over and we'd have to be facing the end of the world for that to happen."

"Ugh, fine. You're not being fun about this. So, next dumb question, T-Rex or zombie; which would you rather have to deal with?"

“No, really, why do you think I’d go for someone like her? She’s not my type at all.”

“Then what is your type, hotshot? I doubt it could be any more butch than you.”

Before Rainbow could begin to answer, Sunset's phone went off.
"Hello? What? Whoa slow down, what's going on? Okay, sparky, deep breath. What? Whoa, wait...you're? Okay? Just like that? Alright, Rainbow and I are coming to pick you up. Just sit tight and fill me in on some details... Hello?"

Rainbow looked over briefly before rounding the next corner on the road.

“That didn’t sound good. Like, no good at all. Who’s in trouble and who’s ass do I have to kick?”

“Ugh, no one yet. And it was Twilight. Or rather, this reality’s native version of Twilight.”

“Ah. Coulda just said Sci-Twi. Would have saved a lot of words I didn’t care about.”

“She is her own person, I don’t want her to suddenly live in the shadow of a version of herself that she shouldn’t even know about!” Sunset snapped back.

“Whoa, calm down there. Sorry, just kinda need shorthand to keep the two straight on my head. So she’s in trouble, where to?”

“It’s not far. 2015 Riverside Avenue, basically at the end of the road we cross over Thirty Five and it’s on the left. She said she’d be waiting by the curb…”

“I thought she lived on the other side of town. You know, the really nice one.”

“She does. That’s her girlfriend's house. Or, I guess ex now.”

“Oh, shit. This night is just gonna be full of surprises, isn’t it?”

Author's Note:

As always, I'd like to thank Cynewulf for his continued support and odd harassment.

As such he is excluded from the "Get all of the song references, win a 3D Printed Thing" contest!