• Published 7th May 2016
  • 602 Views, 6 Comments

The Lunar Millennium - Sasha Nein



Luna has returned from her banishment, but what did she do for that entire year before finally appearing on Nightmare Night?

  • ...
1
 6
 602

Arc 1 - Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Papers. Papers and dust. They were Luna’s world for the next week, along with the infrequent unmentionable that was quickly removed. By the end of the second day she was wearing a damp kerchief over her muzzle as she shuffled mouse eaten ledgers outside. There were documents stuffed away in corners of that office that probably hadn’t seen light in generations.

Now, Luna surveyed the cramped office with satisfaction. She had been able to roust the large earth pony who had hired her, Rocky, out of the small building for most of the week giving her a chance to clean everything. She had found that the large desk was actually two, smashed together with layers of greasy stone dust. Most of the work space had been turned into a station for herself, allowing only a small lobby in front of the door with the other desk for her ‘boss.’ What meager useful documents they had were now re-cataloged and filed away in the drawers she had uncovered.

It was now that her real work began. The mine’s inventory was nonexistent, documentation of employees was sparse and Luna was sure there would be plenty of bits to dig out of the cobweb called their finances. She had already assigned Rocky paperwork on the inventory, having him relist everything so that she could figure out what they actually had.

The stallion had complained, but Luna couldn’t help but notice he looked more relieved than anything. She couldn’t be sure if it was her doing or not, but Rocky had readily taken to the work and seemed eager to move her plan forward when she laid it out to him.

First would be taking stock of everything the mine possessed currently and evaluating their work force. Once she had enough data, they were going to dive right into cleaning up their expenditures and reworking the books. Luna wasn’t sure how this business was even still functioning in this state, but by golly it would be singing once she was finished with it.

“That should about do it,” Rocky rumbled, standing from the creaky chair he was sitting in. “These are all the items essential to the mining operation and should be in the storehouses.”

The stallion stumped over to Luna and deposited a few pages on her desk. “If there’s anything else in there let me know, I might have missed a couple of things. I’ll get started on the large machinery and take a peek in the mine.”

Luna looked up from the papers she was sorting. “I can take care of cataloging the equipment if you—”

“The mine is no place for a unicorn,” the stallion interjected. “Take care of the storehouses,” he finished, stumping out of the office with paper and pencil.

Luna frowned, but picked up the pages the stallion had left and stepped out into the cool air after the stallion. She watched him amble towards the mountain for a minute before turning to the large buildings nearby, the storehouses. Looking at the pages floating in her magic, she sighed at the large amount of question marks alongside how much gear they actually had, or even needed, for the number of ponies they had working in the mine.

Grumbling, she began marching. It was only the first week, eventually she would get some solid numbers. Once she figured out what they actually had it would be easy to determine what they needed. At least, that was what she was hoping for.

Giving one final sigh, she headed towards the storehouses. It was time to replace all of those question marks with actual numbers. The mud clung to her hooves, but she ignored it. If these ponies could live in the dirt, so could she. Besides, with her magic, Ginger had been much more inclined to bathing everypony.

When she entered the first of the storerooms, she paused at the door. Several earth ponies were in the room, raiding the supplies. They were packing lights, pickaxes, and wearing a harness she suspected was used in the mines.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she apologized. She wasn’t sure how to handle this. While her work at the mine had been accepted, after Rocky had shouted at several miners, that didn’t mean they had accepted her.

Of the four ponies in the room, three of them shoved past her. The most she got was grunt from them. The last, a large earth pony, looked at her. “It’s quite alright,” he said. “You trying to figure out what all we have?”

She nodded her head. “Yes. I finally managed to get all of the paperwork in order. Now I need to know what all we have, and how much of it.”

The earth pony chuckled. “Well then, you’re in the right place.” He held out a hoof. “The name’s Tank.”

Luna took the hoof, shaking it. Other than Copper and Rocky, she’d never had an interaction like this with somepony in town. “Clover.”

“Well, Clover, I wish you luck in organizing this place. It really needs it.” With that, Tank brushed past her and outside. Unlike the other times, this didn’t feel like a dismissal, but more like Tank was simply getting on with his job. For once, she didn’t feel snubbed.

With a bemused smile, she turned to observe the storeroom. It was a mess. She frowned, it seemed like everypony just came in, dumped off their tools into a few arranged piles and then left them there until they were needed again. Even ignoring the organization, everything in here was poorly cared for. If they at least spent a little time taking care of their things, they might last longer.

‘Right, first thing’s first. Dedicated spots for everything.’ She reached into her saddlebag, pulling out the most important thing, according to Twilight: a small piece of parchment, and some tacks. It was too bad technology hadn’t advanced enough to where they had sticky notes. But she could approximate that, by labeling each stack and drawer. At least until they could get proper signs.

She looked around the storage building, sighing. There was a long road ahead of her. She could see gas masks mingling with safety vests, mixed with mining equipment. And from what she had seen, the same was spread amongst the other buildings. Even a simple conglomeration of putting the mining equipment in the same building was beyond this place. Pickaxes were spread amongst three different buildings alone! It would take her days to even get the supplies cataloged, much less organized.

Giving another sigh, she once more looked around the room. This was going to be her hardest challenge yet. At least most of the papers over the last week were contained in the same trailer. This would take her months to sort through at that speed.

With one last sigh, she started opening cabinets and drawers, writing down what was in there. Free standing cabinets held mining equipment like pickaxes, while built in cupboards held the gasmasks and lights they used underground. For every similar cupboard she found, there were three containing different things all over. There was no rhyme or reason to anything.

The longer the day went on, the more her teeth ground together over the general state of the mine. By the end, she had inspected three trailers and had found multiples of everything. How had this mining business even lasted as long as it had?

Standing outside of the third trailer, Luna stared at it, knowing full well what was inside. This was ridiculous! There was absolutely no reason for the stores to be in this state. She knew that she had to enter the building, but she didn’t want to. It was terrible! This lack of system demanded some drastic overhaul!

Grumbling to herself, Luna debated on what to do. If she were to try and fix this the mundane way, she would be at it for months. She was patient, but she was nowhere near patient enough to wait, or work, on this task for that long.

Pawing at the dirt outside of the trailers, she listened as the bell rang, signaling the end of the work day. Soon, the miners would be coming up from the depths. They would deposit their equipment wherever they wanted to, and whatever organization system she was trying to implement would be ruined.

Luna frowned. She wasn’t a janitor, and she had no plans to become one! No, the only option was to do something drastic. That way, once the miners came up, she would have everything organized and ready for them. Stamping her hoof in the dirt, she looked at the trailers. Getting fed up and organizing Rocky’s office in one fell swoop got her a job, maybe it could earn her a modicum of respect from the rest of the town, as well!

Glancing around at the storage trailers, she concentrated. Her horn lit up with a soft glow, quickly becoming brighter and brighter. Soon, objects began floating out of the doors of the trailers.

Luna only briefly glanced at each object. Her eyes glowed the same color as her horn. To outside observers, it looked like she was sitting in the mud, a multitude of objects floating around her, and everything encased in her shimmering aura. Various piles started to take shape.

She ignored the mud, she ignored the piles of equipment building, she even ignored the gathering ponies. The only thing that mattered to her was her job, and getting this place organized.

The doors to the trailers were wide open, a steady march of glowing objects coming out. Luna briefly glanced at each one, They were separated into various piles, based upon what they were. There were four trailers of equipment, so she made four piles.

The ponies of the town were coming up from the mines. As soon as they saw what she was doing, they stopped and stared. Luna ignored them.

After over fifteen minutes, she could feel the alarms going off in the back of her mind. Thanks to the blocks she had placed on herself, she knew that a normal unicorn wouldn’t be able to do what she was currently doing. But she ignored the ringing. This was a town of earth ponies. While she may look like a strong unicorn, they wouldn’t know if she was going over the limit of a regular unicorn... She hoped.

After half an hour, she had four large piles sitting in the dirt and mud in front of her. Finally, she let her horn power down, her eyes losing their glowing color. Panting slightly, she looked around. Numerous ponies were gathered around, staring at her.

Wondering if this smug feeling was how Twilight felt most of the time, Luna pointed to the different piles. “Please, carry each pile into a different trailer. I promise that if you do so, not only will your jobs be much easier, but you’ll have to work less, as well.” Hopefully if she appealed to their work ethic, they would do what she wanted them to do.

The gathered miners continued to stare at her. A few turned and whispered to the pony next to them. Slowly, they got up and started gathering up the piles, going into the trailers.

“Put your current equipment in the proper piles, please!” she said. Letting out a long breath, she muttered to herself. “Stallions! Next time I see my secretary I’m taking her to dinner.”

The whispering and occasional stares continued, though she didn’t pay them any mind. Already she was thinking over how she was going to organize each trailer tomorrow. She could do so now, of course, but there was no point in pushing her luck. Best to just act like she was more tired than she actually was.

With the miners working, it didn’t take long before the piles were all inside once more. In small groups, the miners headed back towards town, talking amongst themselves. Luna took a moment to close each trailer, before turning back. Copper was still there, waiting for her.

“That was quite the display,” he said.

“Yes, well. It was certainly faster than doing it by hoof.” She then realized what she had said. “Not that doing it by hoof isn’t possible,” she backpedaled. “It’s very possible and I would commend anypony who did it that way. I just didn’t want to be organizing that place for weeks on end. Not that it would take you that long.”

Luna stopped babbling and slapped a hoof to her face when she realized that Copper was laughing. “It’s fine, Clover. I know you didn’t mean anything.”

“Apologies, Copper.” She’d have to be careful how she phrased things. No point in sounding like just what the locals expect her to sound like: a unicorn who thinks herself above the rest of them.

“It’s fine,” he repeated. “And I think it’s good you’re doing something like that. Gets everypony else used to you.”

“Speaking of that. Do you know a stallion named Tank?”

Copper thought for a moment. “Yeah, kinda. We used to work together back before I left for Canterlot. What of him?”

“He spoke to me, today. And it was... pleasant.”

“Oh?” he said, turning to look at her. “Does Clover have a crush on him?” His face morphed into a grin.

Luna bumped him with her shoulder, not that it fazed the larger pony. “It’s nothing like that,” she grumbled over his laughter. “I mean that he didn’t... It was... Normal. We exchanged pleasantries, some small talk, and then he left to get working. It’s the first time outside of you and your family that I actually was made to feel like I’m fitting in here.”

“I’m glad that some ponies around here are warming up to you. Just keep working hard and eventually everypony will come to accept you. Hard work is valued around here.” He continued to smile at her. “You sure you don’t have a crush on him?”

She groaned. “Yes, I’m certain. It was one conversation, and not really even that. An interaction, more like.”

“Hey, I believe in love at first sight. Happened to me and Ginger, after all.”

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Luna chose to not humor Copper and just kept walking. He continued to tease her about Tank the entire way home. When they got to the house, they walked around to the back, washing their hooves in the basin there, before heading into the kitchen.

“We’re home!” Copper called.

The only pony in the kitchen was Granite. The filly was sitting at the table, a book and several papers, as well as a quill and inkwell, were scattered around her. At the door opening and the announcement, there was a clatter and rush as Granite ran for the door. “Daddy!” she cried, throwing herself at Copper.

The stallion laughed, catching his daughter and hugging her. “Hey there, Granite. How was your day?”

“Boring. Ms. Lesson has us learning about multi- multipl- timesing. I don’t like math,” she replied, sticking out her tongue.

Luna snickered at the name, but quickly covered it with a cough when she saw Granite glaring. Copper just rubbed a hoof on the filly’s head. “Multiplying, dear. And I was never a fan of math, either. Your momma’s got the brains between the two of us.” He looked around the kitchen. “Speaking of your mom, where is she?”

“She’s not home yet. She picked me up from school and dropped me here, then went back.”

Copper frowned. Luna knew that he wasn’t a fan of Ginger still working at her job. At first, it had confused her. Ginger was just being a self-sufficient mare and helping to contribute to the household. It wasn’t until she reminded herself that she was a thousand years in the past that she remembered the earth pony’s work ethic was much more stallion focused back then. The mares were generally housewives, or ran the less labor intensive businesses like bakeries and tailors.

Luna remembered it well, the idea was almost laughable in the current day Equestria. An earth pony mare easily stood up with the strongest stallions of other races, there was no reason to force them into work where their prowess was unappreciated. Just look at Applejack, for example. The Element of Honesty was hardworking, business savvy, and could run her farm prosperously.

The stallion looked towards the front of the house. “I’ll bet she hasn’t had a chance to get water, either.” Gently, he set his daughter back on the floor. “Go on back to your homework, dear. I’ll just head to the well and get some water.”

Luna stepped forward. “I can help if you’d like.”

He shook his head. “No, you just take it easy.” She was about to argue, when he held up a hoof. “I saw you after work today. You were panting and tired. Just sit and take a break. No need to overexert yourself.”

“But, that was magic—” Luna tried to explain.

“No buts. Stay here,” Copper insisted, firmly pushing Luna into a kitchen chair. He kept his gaze on her until she sighed.

“Fine.”

His muzzle curled upwards into a smile. “Good! I’m going to head out, though I should be back before too long.” With that, he headed towards the front of the house, where the water buckets were stored.

Luna heard some commotion in the front, and at one point there was a crashing sound. However, before she could go investigate, Copper’s voice floated down the hall. “Don’t get up, Clover.” Pouting slightly, she sat back down.

Eventually, the stallion left, the front door closing behind him. Granite had returned to her spot at the table, staring down at the papers in front of her. The filly didn’t say anything, didn’t even seem to acknowledge Luna’s presence at the table. Instead, she would occasionally scratch at one paper with her quill, before crossing it out. Her eyes darted from the paper, to the book, to a different paper, and back again.

Normally, the only sound in a room being the scratching of a quill would be soothing to Luna. This time, it just felt awkward to her. It almost seemed like Granite was actively trying to ignore her presence.

After several minutes, Luna heard a frustrated grunt from the filly as she scratched out yet another answer to her homework. Unable to take the silence any longer, Luna spoke up. “It seems like you’re having some difficulty.” Granite gave no response, so she continued on. “I have some knowledge of math. If you’d like, I could help you with it.”

At that, Granite glared up at Luna. “No,” she said.

“Are you sure?” Luna prompted further.

“Yes.”

“Well, why not? I’m sure that between the two of us, we can get it done in no time.”

“Because I don’t need help from a horn- From you.”

“Granite, please! I’m just trying to be helpful, if you’d only let me!” Luna pleaded.

“You can help,” Granite snarled, “by going back to Canterlot!”

Luna frowned. She had caught the near insult, and it was upsetting that the filly was so hostile, but it made no sense. “What is it I’ve done to you?” she asked. “We can work through this.”

Neither Copper nor Ginger had ever referred to her using such a derogatory word, so Luna was sure that Granite had learned it from her peers outside the house. Perhaps they were responsible for the filly’s behaviour?

Granite shot her a look of contempt. “You show up, and ruin everything. I wish Dad had never brought you here.”

Luna wasn’t sure how to respond to that. There was no way this filly would so adamantly hate Clover when her parents had been so kind. Something was happening that was affecting Granite, though she had no idea what it was. Yet it was coloring the filly’s opinion of her.

It wasn’t that Granite had nearly called her that word, though that was still upsetting, but that the filly still was not warming up to her presence. Each time she and the filly interacted, Luna tried her best to be warm and welcoming. Yet still she was met with frostiness at best. She just didn’t know what to do to earn Granite’s trust. Obviously, helping her with her homework wasn’t doing anything.

When Luna didn’t say anything else, Granite went back to her homework. A moment later, the back door opened. Ginger stepped in, a saddle bag in the process of being taken off and set aside. Granite gave her mother a similar greeting she had given her father, to much the same response.

When the mare was done greeting her daughter, she caught sight of Luna, still sitting at the table. “Hello, Clover.”

“Ginger,” Luna replied with a nod. “How was work?”

“Long. I hear that you had a productive day at the mines.” The mare used a hoof to push her hastily discarded saddlebag to the side, closing the door.

Luna wasn’t sure what she was referring to, until she realized that it had to be about her little demonstration of magic in organizing the sheds. “Ah. You heard about that?”

Ginger nodded. “A couple of stallions from the mine came into the shop on their way home. They were talking about it.”

The disguised alicorn wanted to know just what language they were using to refer to her, but decided that such a question wouldn’t be wise to ask around Granite. Instead, she got up from the table as Ginger went over to the stove. “Is there anything I can do to help you with dinner?” In truth, she just didn’t want to sit at the table with Granite any longer. It was too awkward.

The mare opened the basket where the wood was stored, before tsking and setting the lid aside. “In fact, yes you can. Want to help me retrieve some wood?”

“Of course.” If Copper wouldn’t let her work, at least Ginger would. She never liked sitting around idle while other ponies worked.

Ginger led her back out the back door. A short ways away from the house was a stand that held chopped logs. “We keep it back here so that the bugs drawn to the stack aren’t too close to the house,” she explained.

Sure enough, when the mare picked up a log on the top, something that Luna didn’t quite catch went skittering away. Ginger tapped the log a few times against the pile. “Try and discourage bugs from getting a free ride into the house.”

With a nod, Luna used her magic to lift a log, giving it a few taps before having it hover near her, magic reaching out to take a second log. While she worked, she heard Ginger speak up again.

“Clover, I was listening to your conversation with my daughter. May I ask you something?”

There was a moment of silence, Luna turned her head to see that the other mare had a look of concentration on her face. “Of course.”

“It’s about Granite, obviously. Her attitude is inappropriate, yet you seem so calm about it?”

“She—” Luna was about to answer, before closing her mouth. She really wasn’t sure what to say. While she did have several complaints about how Granite was treating her, she didn’t feel like punishing the filly was the best course of action. Getting her in trouble was not the way to get Granite to like Clover.

Ginger noticed her hesitance. “It’s okay, tell me the truth. I can’t help but notice the tension between the two of you.”

Luna sighed, taking the time to gather her thoughts and figure out how she was going to word this. “She’s... cold? No, that’s not the right word. She’ll talk to me if spoken to, but it’s... frosty, I suppose.”

“I heard as much,” Ginger replied.

“Just today, I offered to help her with her homework, and she rejected me.”

“Because you’re a unicorn?” Ginger asked. Luna nodded, unable to lie. “I see.”

The mare was silent for a moment, gathering several more pieces of wood. “That is unacceptable. I will talk to her,” she finally said.

Luna shook her head. “Please, don’t. It’s okay. I don’t want her getting mad at me because she got into trouble over something I said. To be honest, her being a little short with me is still better than the way half this town treats me.”

“That still doesn’t excuse her behavior.”

“Ginger, please don’t talk to Granite about this. I’ll handle it. If Granite warms up to me, starts voluntarily talking to me, I’d rather it be over something that I did, than because her parents are forcing her to do it.” She smiled at Ginger. “I’ll just win her over with my charming personality and wit.”

The mare couldn’t help but snort at that, a small smile gracing her features. “Are you sure?”

Luna nodded. “I am. Just let it go for now.”

“Alright. But if she gets out of line, then please tell me. I will not allow that behavior to go unchecked.”

Together, they headed back into the house, Luna carrying most of the wood. Granite was still working at the table, the same look of frustration on her face. Ginger loaded some wood into the stove while Luna dumped hers into the basket. Soon enough, a fire had been started and a pot was sitting on the stove while it heated up.

Ginger set Luna to work in the kitchen, having her chop some vegetables. Luna was glad for the work. It felt good to contribute to the household other than just carrying things. The two of them engaged in idle chatter, until the front door opened.

“I’m back,” came Copper’s voice. A moment later he entered the kitchen, the rod with several full buckets of water on his back. He kneeled down, sliding out from under the load. “I went to the well, love.”

“Oh good,” Ginger said, going over and giving her husband a kiss. Quickly, the two of them dispensed the water where it needed to go. One bucket went into the basin out back, while the rest went into the cistern in the closet.

“What’s for dinner? Smells good,” Copper said.

“Nothing much, just a quick stew.” Ginger headed back to the stove, stirring the pot as Luna dumped the last of the vegetables into it. “I had to work most of today, so didn’t have much time to get ingredients and prepare something.”

The stallion frowned. “Ginger, I thought you were going to quit working there.”

The mare waved her spoon at her husband. “And I am. But I won’t leave Peppermint without any help. As soon as a replacement for me is found, I’ll stick around long enough to train her, and then leave.”

“Okay.” He gave her another kiss, which she returned. He spotted Granite still sitting at the table. “How’s the homework coming along?”

The filly sighed. “Not well. Wanna help me with it?”

Copper nodded. “Sure. Let’s go to your room where it’ll be quieter.”

Granite got down from the table, Copper gathering up all of her materials. The two of them trotted off, but Copper stopped in the doorway to the kitchen. “Oh, you should ask Clover about her crush.” Before Luna could retort, he slipped away.

Luna turned to look at Ginger, who was looking right back at her, one eyebrow raised. “Crush?”

“He exaggerates. I merely asked about a stallion that works at the mines. His name’s Tank. He and I... We spoke today. It was actually a pleasant conversation, he was quite nice. A far cry from many of the conversations I’ve had, or tried to have, with ponies.” She didn’t have to directly mention why it was difficult for her to have a conversation around town, Ginger knew why.

The mare turned back to the stove, stirring the pot. “I know Tank. He is a nice stallion. Helped me out a few times with projects around the house while Copper was away.”

Luna sat down at the table, her job for the meal done. “He seemed nice.”

“He’d make a fine stallion for you to date.”

She groaned, her muzzle falling onto the table, narrowly missing the bowl set there. “I don’t have a romantic interest in him.”

Ginger chuckled, though it could have also been the sound of the stew bubbling. “Of course not. Though if you do ever look to settle down, he’d make a fine husband.”

“What of me being a unicorn? I do not think I would get very far even if I were interested,” Luna groused.

“I think that Copper is right. Over time you’ll come to be accepted around here. We’re a stubborn town, but even we can change with time.”

Luna held her head and mumbled in her hooves, “I do not recall that convincing earth ponies was as easy as you make it sound.”

“What was that about earth ponies, dear?” Ginger hummed distractedly as she spooned out a portion of the soup and blew on it.

“Er—” Luna cleared her throat. “I said, I’ve not had much luck with earth ponies so far.”

“Did you date one back in Canterlot?”

“No. I never dated anypony. Not much time back at the Academy, you see. And I never left to date anypony outside of it, like an earth pony, or pegasus.”

Ginger gave Luna one of those knowing smiles mothers were so good at. “I’m sure you’ll find somepony eventually.”

Luna just let out a sigh. “Maybe,” she said, trying to placate the mare. While she would have to try and live a normal life, she didn’t want to deal with that part of one. Once upon a time she had entertained the notion of... being with a stallion. But any fancies now were silenced in the face of her current predicament.

The other mare didn’t say anything else, choosing instead to test her creation before continuing to stir. Luna got up from the table, heading into the living room. There wasn’t anything left to do for the meal beyond stir the pot, and Ginger could handle that. Sitting on the table was the book she was currently reading. Opening it up, she found her place and started reading, the candles in the room illuminating the text.

She found it hard to concentrate on the words, and instead found herself watching Ginger prepare dinner over the top of her book. Luna sighed, glancing back down. Why was she even here? Well, that was an easy question, because she wanted to get away from Canterlot and Celestia. But, she had accomplished that, so why was she sitting here and just reading a book?

The words on the page in front of her blurred as she looked back up at Ginger. Rationally speaking, she didn’t have a place to work on recreating Twilight’s and her laboratory. She had only been here for a few days and it was important, to her, not to be a freeloader. Luna nodded to herself, that was why she wasn’t in a hurry. The project would take time and she had all the time in the world. She looked back to her book with renewed vigor, ignoring the niggling feeling that she’d left something unresolved.

The sun had completely disappeared by the time Ginger called from the kitchen that dinner was ready. Luna stood, closing her book and stretching. A giggling Granite shot into the sitting room with Copper closely behind. At seeing the unicorn, the filly straightened up and raised her snout before trotting past Luna into the kitchen. Copper watched with a bemused frown before nodding Luna in before him.

The meal was relatively calm, which Luna was thankful for. After using all that magic she could feel a migraine coming on. It was a little odd though, while it had been a lot of magic she’d used, it had never been a problem before. She wondered if her magical warnings and restrictions had something to do with it. Perhaps they were giving her symptoms just like a unicorn facing magical exhaustion would have.

She was almost grateful for the earth ponies around her. With the lack of magic, there was no point in trying to use spoons, so it was a simple way to excuse herself from straining herself further. Each of the earth ponies simply lifted their bowls to their muzzles and drank. While it was certainly a new experience, Luna emulated them.

Copper and Ginger conversed easily, both simply enjoying each other’s company. Luna felt as if she were intruding. It would have been a lot less awkward, however, if Granite weren’t shooting her glares anytime she thought Luna wasn’t looking. As it was, she just wanted to go lay down; a bath would just have to wait until morning.

A sudden jangle of bells caused Luna to pause with her bowl in hooves and cock an ear towards the door and town. After a moment there was a click and scraping as Copper set his own bowl down and stood up. Luna raised an eyebrow at the worried frown that passed between the married couple.

Copper moved towards the door as Ginger stood. “What are they ringing the meeting bells for now?” Luna heard Granite ask.

“Dear,” Ginger began, “What is going on?”

“I have no idea,” Copper said shortly, cantering to the door.

Everypony followed, Granite tugging on her mother’s tail and repeating her question.

“Hush, Granite, and stay next to me. This isn’t normal,” Ginger said distractedly, pulling Granite close.

As Copper approached their front door, Ginger stood back near the kitchen as Luna followed the stallion with a curious, but cautious, step. She said nothing and watched as Copper opened the door to a hive of activity. Stallions, and even a few mares, were coming out of their homes and hurrying towards the edge of town.

Copper closed the door and turned back inside with a frown. “What is the matter?” Luna demanded. “Those were meeting bells, you say? For town announcements and the—”

“Yes, they are,” Copper cut in. “And them ringing now is not normal. Something is happening, at the southern edge of town it seems.” He stood silent for a minute, then turned to the mares. “I want you all to go to the cellar, you had better put together a quick sack of food as well. I am going to go see what is going on.”

Ginger turned back into the kitchen with a nod, but Luna stepped forward. “What is the matter?” she repeated.

“I don’t know,” Copper responded, turning back to the door. “But, I’m going to go find out. It can’t be good, though. Last time I remember those bells being run at a time like this was a long time ago when... Nevermind, just hurry and help Ginger. I’ll be back soon.”

“That is unacceptable!” Luna stated, trotting forward. “Whatever is the matter, I’m sure I can help.”

“Clover, please. The last time I remember there being town warnings was when Nightmare Moon sent—” Copper paused, biting his lip. “Look, this is probably nothing, or something extremely dangerous and either way it’s no place for a mare.”

Luna snorted and stepped past Copper. “Do not worry, I can take care of myself.”

Copper frowned and glanced from the rapidly moving crowd, back to his wife. He groaned. “Ugh, fine, I don’t have time to argue.” He turned to Ginger who had hurried in close when Luna refused to leave. With a quick nuzzle and a, “stay safe,” he hurried after the unicorn.

Luna trotted after the crowd of, mostly stallions, through the streets. Copper soon joined her, but at seeing his glare she opted to remain silent. It was only a dozen buildings before the rest of the townsfolk came into view. There was a mass of them lined up at the edge of the town proper, with many of the stallions carrying some sort of mining instrument, or weapon, in their teeth.

There was an uneasy whispering rippling through the crowd, but any words were lost to the mare as she tried to find a vantage point over the mass of ponies..

“Stay close to me,” Copper ordered. He then began pushing through the crowd. To Luna’s surprise, they parted before his insistence. She followed, acutely aware of the frowns following them; or more accurately, her.

There was no murmur from the front line when they finally reached it. Luna recognized Rocky, and Tank, and a noticeably prim earth pony standing together, staring silently at the forest fringe. Copper paused in front of her with a sharp intake of breath, frustratingly blocking her line of sight to whatever the ponies were staring at.

Then, it moved. Luna almost gasped herself, then promptly chided herself for being so foalish. There, just beyond the treeline, was a timberwolf. She almost laughed, the ponies had gotten this worked up over a timberwolf? Their drama had her walking on pins and needles.

It did make sense, however. Timberwolves, while magical, were still wolves in nature and their affinity to the night had lent itself well to her, albeit short, reign of terror as Nightmare Moon. No doubt her presence in this town, and possibly via her walk through the woods, had aroused the curiosity of this specimen. Timberwolves were especially sensitive to the magical eddies surrounding them. No doubt Luna’s magic was still a memory to this wolf, even if it had been tainted.

Luna watched the beast pace back and forth. Peering carefully through the underbrush, she picked out another two lingering further back. It was doubtful anypony else had noticed them, their vision wasn’t as good as hers and they probably didn’t know what to look for.

Copperhoof stiffened and began marching softly towards Rocky, Tank and the other pony. Luna pulled her attention away from the wolves and followed him. To her relief, most of the front line of ponies ignored her, although there were a few who snorted or glared at her in contempt.

Rocky acknowledged them both with a quick nod. “Seems a wolf has gotten too close to town.”

“Who spotted it?” Copper asked.

Tank shrugged. “Dunno. I came over here when the bells started ringing.” He glanced over and saw Luna standing there. “Shouldn’t you be back at Copper’s, Miss Clover?”

Luna eyed him. “I was curious what all the fuss was about. And if you’re wondering, I can take care of myself.”

The large stallion just nodded. “I figured, given the way you hauled all that stuff around the mine sheds like it was nothing. Still, ‘taint fitting for a mare to be out here at a time like this.”

“Agreed,” Copper muttered, darkly.

Luna was about to defend herself, mention that she was not some invalid to always be left behind, but quickly thought better of that. It wouldn’t do to argue cultural issues, especially at a time like this.

“I don’t think it’s going to do anything now,” the prim stallion said. Luna didn’t know his name. “Rocky, Tank, you two work out a watch schedule for tonight. I want a perimeter around the town in case there are any more.”

Rocky nodded. “Consider it done, Mr. Line.”

The two burly miner ponies turned to the crowd and started calling out names. Luna turned to Copper. “So you’ll set a watch, is there anything else the town does in a case like this?”

“I do not want to risk anything else, unicorn,” Mr. Line said, giving Luna a hard look. “The Nightmare may have been defeated years ago, but her beasts are still dangerous and it’s best to simply leave them be.”

Luna pursed her lips, but remained silent, turning her gaze back to the woods.

“They show up from time to time, but aren’t aggressive often anymore,” he continued. “We’ll keep a watch out for a while until after the wolf leaves and make sure everypony stays away from the town fringes. No need to have careless foals making themselves a target.”

Copper tapped Luna on the withers. “Let’s get back, Ginger is waiting.” He gave a nod to the earth pony. “Evening, mayor.”

Mr. Line nodded, but said nothing.

Turning away, Luna saw Copper trotting back through the crowd, which was now milling and dispersing. Some were gathering towards Rocky and Tank while the rest returned to their homes. Giving one last glance to the woods, Luna trotted after Copper.

She knew the timberwolves were there because of her, but it was as Mr. Line said, they weren’t a threat to the cautious. There were a few magical ways to disperse the wolves but they were all flashy and thus not something she was keen on performing in this crowd. It sounded like the ponies knew what to do anyway.

As the door to Copper’s home clicked shut behind them, Ginger looked on expectantly as the stallion stood silently, staring at the floor. Luna glanced between the two, and then to Granite who ignored her in favor of hopping towards her father.

“Daddy, what’s going on?”

Copper took a breath, ruffling Granite’s mane. “Let’s all sit down and I’ll tell you.”

As they all sat down in the living area, Luna wondered what the couch was stuffed with. It was surprisingly comfortable, making her consider using it as her bed instead. Those thoughts were squelched as Copper cleared his throat.

“So, it looks like there is a timberwolf wandering around the edge of town,” he said, looking at Ginger.

“A timberwolf?” Granite asked as Ginger gasped. “Aren’t those just a legend?”

Copper pulled his daughter into a side hug. “Unfortunately, Granite, they are very real. Before you came along, Nightmare Moon used them to prey on small villages. They’re very dangerous, and usually run in packs.”

“But she’s gone now! Princess Celestia banished her, right?” Ginger asked, her eyes wide.

“Yes, but only the Nightmare was banished, not her minions.” Luna looked away uncomfortably as Copper continued, “The town has started a watch to keep an eye on the woods. But this means that we have to be more careful until the wolves are driven away.” He looked directly at his daughter. “From now on, your mom or I will escort you to school in the mornings.”

“I’m a big filly!” Granite scoffed. “I don’t need help, momma lets me walk to school by myself all the time!”

“Maybe so,” Copper agreed, “but not when there were timberwolves lurking about.”

“I can be careful!” Granite protested.

“Listen to your father, Granite,” Ginger interjected. “He is right, timberwolves are very dangerous and unpredictable.”

Luna opened her mouth to deny that claim, but quickly shut it. She may be Luna, and near enough Nightmare Moon to these ponies, but she was pretending to be Clover. If she started spouting off facts it would be suspicious, and that would lead to them ignoring her advice as well.

Granite once more opened her mouth, a look of defiance on her muzzle, but Copper cut her off. “One of us is going to escort you, Granite. That’s just how it’s going to be. I won’t take the risk of anything happening to you.”

“Fiiine,” the filly whined, scrunching her muzzle in disappointment.

Copper leaned forward, and after a moment of hesitation, kissed her on the forehead. Ginger smiled and moved to join them. Copper glanced towards Luna as he hugged his wife with his other foreleg, but she only grinned faintly before closing her eyes and leaning back.

It would be fine, these ponies had the situation under control. In a few days the wolves would be gone and she’d be back to dealing with a stubbornly rude Granite. It was a shame, really. The filly looked so cute snuggling with her parents.