• Published 1st May 2016
  • 713 Views, 1 Comments

Almost - roguesoul



The world is burning, and no one is coming to save us. This is the end.

  • ...
0
 1
 713

Almost

The world is burning. The world is burning and no one can save it. This is the end.

Years before Nightmare Moon unleashed eternal darkness, some fought back, but she’s an alicorn. It wasn’t like Celestia could save us. She was gone, disappeared the day the world went black. Rumors circled, questioning if she was dead or just locked away in the lost sun. The worst one was if she just ran away. That she just didn’t care about us. Over a year we’d made progress to create an agricultural system that could work in the darkness. Nightmare Moon might not have relented and given us a sunrise, but she also didn’t want to see us all dead. She helped fashion new plants that could grow without sunlight. She might have been a tyrant, but at least she wasn’t evil. Not really.

Discord wasn’t evil either, I think, just a crazy sadist. He arrived one day out of the blackness, a chaotic bubble of color and light that we hadn’t seen in years. At first we thought he was here to save us. I mean things were going, but we were surviving, not thriving. We were wrong. Discord wasn’t here to save us; he was here to “play.” The grass became the sky and the sky the grass. Clouds fell to the earth weighted while houses and stones lifted up into the open air. Nightmare Moon flew out of her palace, ready to reclaim her kingdom, not that she cared I think it was mostly out of pride. And he turned her to stone. Last month, I visited what was left of Canterlot. I was looking her survivors

I didn’t find any. But I did see the statue.

She’s still screaming.

The Day of Reversal marked the beginning of Discord’s reign and no part of Equestria was left untouched. To be honest, I’m not sure how long it lasted. I tried to keep track for a few months(?), but after a while I didn’t see the point. It was a blur of flying cakes, cotton candy clouds, and living sandwiches. Hehe, sorry, but after I lost my home to a bunny stampede I shared a living space with a bubbly earth pony baker. She was very kind to house me, even if it was only for a few days. She used to joke that Discord was probably really hungry after being a statue for 1,000 years. I laughed for the first time in years when she said that. Even before everything went to Tartarus I wasn’t very social. I liked my alone time, but now that I’ve had time to think about it, I think I really was lonely.

The chaos lasted for less time than you think, Discord left eventually after getting bored of ruling. He went off and took his magic with him, off to terrorize other denizens of the world. It marked a new age for Equestria. We were ravaged by Discord, plunged into eternal night and now left in a world where the sun and moon move on their own. We were without ruler and without a clue what to do in this new world. But we picked ourselves up and kept moving forward. Towns were built, farms planted, even the weather factory restored to some glory. Things were peaceful for a short time. Not enough time.

Out of nowhere a kingdom rose out of the snow up in the north bringing without King Sombra. A unicorn infested with dark magic. It twisted around him like vines, black as death and corrupted him from his tail to his horn. When his blackened crystals began to invade Equestria you could feel to evil leaking from them like poison. The plants withered and slowly everything was consumed. I don’t like remembering, but the scars won’t let me forget. The whip marks for being lazy, I hadn’t meant to fall like that I was just so tired of dragging crystals in hopes of finding a smidgen of darkron. We found maybe two tiny stones per cart and Sombra was already powerful why did he need more. Why did he have to cuff our necks and keep us in chains? Why? WHAT WAS THE POINT?!?

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry it’s just it isn’t a good memory. I barely remember the old days, before all of this. My family, my job, my home, my memories good and bad so childish compared to now. I sitting in the dust, in the wasteland that was once fertile green fields. I can’t remember what grass felt like, how clean air felt when it pours into your lungs. I don’t like remembering, I don’t like caring about what we’ve… I’ve lost, I don’t like not remembering.

I remember Tirek though, the demon from Tartarus itself. He arrived one day, powerful from stolen magic. The ponies grayed out and left weak. Sombra had turned to dust, the dark magic literally keeping him together. No one was spared and as he left to destroy other lands he burned this one to the ground. Nothing grows, maybe the earth ponies of old could. But this is the end.

The world is burning, and no one will save us. Perhaps that’s a good thing, perhaps it would be a mercy to die before another evil rises up.

I’m crying now, the tears stain the page. I, Twilight Sparkle, one of the last unicorns in Equestria write now to all future explorers or settlers. This is what happened to the ponies of Equestria. I’m sure the stories of our downfall have spread, but perhaps a thousand years will pass.
Do I have any regrets? Yeah, I wish I’d tried friendship. I was always pretty antisocial, I just didn’t see the point of having friends. I got teased a lot, because I was such a nerd. But I always had my books, I just wish… I had ponies besides my family that will miss me.

That won’t forget me.

Comments ( 1 )

So... This is how the Ashlands timeline came to be? It's awful:ajsleepy::fluttershysad::fluttercry:

Login or register to comment