• Published 30th Apr 2016
  • 692 Views, 5 Comments

À partir de Bourgeons à Fleurs - Indulgence



Brought together by chance and now embarked on a new shared path, Coco and Fleur remain in Manehattan, spurred onward as one by both each other and a surprise encounter.

  • ...
3
 5
 692

La Conception

For the first time in what had been another in a string of hectic days silence pervaded in the boutique, nigh constant chaos giving way to calm, even if this was merely the tense prelude for an inevitable storm. Coco’s mind seemed to have settled itself on this conclusion, for in spite of gaining some degree of peace (broken only by the faint scratching of graphite against paper) internally she was set on a knife edge by a familiar rush. Today was the day, and as the sun was now well set on its descent the time of judgement within it was fast approaching. Every so often her eyes made furtive glances to the door, each time expecting to witness the arrival of a royal carriage and its accompanying contingent of Lunar Guard. For now however it would not come, leaving her only the pressurised vacuum of anticipation, from which she sought distraction.

It’s a massive risk you know, I mean what if you’re putting words into her mouth with what it says?

For a while this had been achieved, she was after all not in any need of occupation, as for now her life was to be a balancing act. On the one hoof of course there was the princess’ commission, its sketched plan one half of the pair of designs set down in front of her. With it this had brought a surge in orders from others in emulation, following in royalty’s wake. Really she should have been happy about this, for who in their right mind could turn up their nose at increased business, but her feelings remained mixed, wanting what she created to be appreciated as opposed to being just objects of passing fads. On the other hoof meanwhile (in part being distracted from by the former, whilst at the same time being in all honesty not at all thought out) was the wedding, far off and yet still central in her mind. The second drawing before her was therefore Fleur, or rather a poor substitute in her exacting eye, for whom she was as yet struggling to produce clothing for, stumbling at the hurdle of personalisation.

‘Let’s bow to tradition just a little bit, so I’ll play the groom and you can have me in a suit.’

In near perfect mimicry of a few days previous, a chorus of voices from outside yanked on the chain of her consciousness to focus it elsewhere, specifically on the long awaited arrival making her appearance. Again the princess slipped inside, heaving closed the portal perhaps a little quicker this time along with the windows’ blinds. ‘Hey’ Luna greeted.

‘Hey’ Coco matched in reply, not truly at ease with the generality rather than regality of the Princess of the Night’s mannerisms. ‘Bad day?’

‘Just long. You’ve no idea how boring court is, it almost makes me thankful for predominately nocturnal duties. Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to seeing what you’ve come up with, it’s provided a pretty nice distraction’ she smiled warmly, stepping up to the design table.

No pressure!

‘Okay’ Coco began, spinning a paper design round to face perusal whilst a forehoof moved to direct the reviewer, pointing out its elements. ‘As you wanted formal wear without dresses my immediate thought was some form of suit, but in turn this seemed a tad ordinary or expected. Therefore I moved on to the idea of uniform, with the aim being to channel a parade or dress military style. To this end I settled on a double-breasted officer’s jacket in a light navy, to create a tonal link between your coat and eyes, this acting as a base for accoutrements in silver to add highlights.’ She paused to consider her audience, only to be struck with dismay by an unsure frown.

Buck, she doesn’t like it! Buck buck buck!

‘Erm…’ the designer tried to continue, fighting against rising internal doubt. ‘For these I added epaulettes of a refined box design, as opposed to the more traditional tasselled variety, and swirled braiding across the front. Alternatively of course these could be substituted with the fringed form with a plain front to the tunic, and then a sash creating a bisecting stripe, probably with additional embroidery. Overall this would aim to create a statement piece, made strong by not being overstated, but with intricacy in its details, which I have further ideas for but it depends on what you think so far.’

Buck buck buck!

‘I like it’ Luna began, ‘quite a lot actually, don’t doubt that, and it fulfils all I wanted. My area of trepidation however is with its roots, in that the last time that I wore military regalia I… wasn’t myself and I’m rather cautious of further stoking persistent opinions there are of me.’

‘I understand that’ Coco nodded, ‘thoughts of how it would be interpreted did cross my mind, but if you’ll let me explain a bit more maybe I can show where I’m coming from.’ A single nod answered her. ‘The point with any outfit is that it speaks, what it says however is more the choice of its wearer than its fabric or even its design. It’s not a suit of armour, so its statement is bold but not aggressive, whilst at the same time it is a blend of old and new styling, with an emphasis on the modern to channel progression, movement and momentum. Finally you’re right it does cause a degree of looking back, but my aim in that was to go back further than your absence. In extra additions I’d like to bring in elements from your Guard’s uniform as a conscious nod to those close, both past and present, as a complement or salute and a mark of respect and affections.’ She let herself come to a stop, taking in a held breath to await the verdict.

‘Wow’ Luna muttered after a pause, without a hint of mockery in her monosyllabic expression, rather a degree of honest awe. ‘I gave you a couple of days to come up with an outfit, no small feat in of itself, and it would seem that you’ve come up with so much more. I’m truly touched, thank you.’

And breath out.

‘So is that a yes?’

‘It’s a definite yes to both’ the princess affirmed.

‘Both?’

‘Yes, if it’s possible I’d like both the less and more traditional please’ Luna clarified to the silent jubilation of her host. ‘So, what parts of the Guard’s uniform would you like to put into it?’

‘Well, I’d like to take a closer look at it if I could and pick out parts from it.’

‘That I can arrange immediately.’ Luna’s horn became lit with its silvery aura, although it was unclear what her magic was up to. ‘One of my guards can act as your model for what remains of the afternoon, and if you require further reference just ask and I’ll have a suit dispatched to you. Oh and before you say it, it’s not too much trouble, she’ll appreciate the night off.’ Her corona of energy dissipated as quickly as it had appeared, the alicorn herself unmindful of it, as the doorway opened to admit a new figure. ‘Now, once again I’m sorry to be so brief, but I’m required elsewhere, so thank you once more.’

‘When do you want to meet to review the final design?’ the earth mare just managed to ask, Luna being a hard one to keep up with.

‘Not necessary I don’t think: I like your eye and I trust you, so I’ll meet the final ensembles as surprises.’ She smiled with further warmth in her departure, the faint gleam of deeper emotion playing at the back of her azure irises, taking a moment to say something more unheard to the one who had come to take her place before she vanished.

‘Silhouette.’

Coco was caught off guard by the single random word, her attention absorbed in part by the princess in her egression, but more in the meaning of her parting words. Reawakening she found a granite grey night pegasus in the midst of removing her armour’s helmet. Without the helm the cropped short spikes of a jet black mane, tips frosted stark white, broke free. Its strands fell to cover one in a pair of crimson eyes, coming to look at her through their feline pupils, the first of middle age’s wrinkles showing at their edges. ‘Pardon?’

‘My name, it’s Silhouette miss…?’ the soldier continued, her mareish tones revealing what her carapace covered form did not.

‘Coco, Coco Pommel, but Coco’s fine’ she answered, although distractedly, like there was something on the cusp of being a thought in the back of her mind.

‘Well I’m at your disposal, I must confess though that modelling is not my forte. So where do you want me?’

‘I just want to take a look at your uniform if that’s okay?’ Getting a simple affirmation (which could not help but be a little awkward), she walked a quick circuit of her new subject, coming back to the desk where she interspersed her additions with further upward glances.

It’s her voice, you’ve heard it before.

‘Weird question, but do I know you?’

‘Unless you’ve spent much time in Hollow Shades, or you’ve had an unfortunate run in with the law it’s probably unlikely.’

‘Cause if she is you should calm her down or else we’ll have to detain her.’

‘A bit more than few weeks ago, lower Manehattan, outside some club with punctuation marks in place of an actual name.’

‘Nope.’

‘You and I assume he must have been your partner were going to arrest a… to put it politely pretty drunk unicorn for disturbing the peace.’

‘No… actually wait a sec’ the night mare considered. ‘Yeah, you pretty much saved her ass as I remember it. I found out later that she was supposed to be vaguely famous. What was her name… something beginning with F?’

‘Fleur De Lys.’

‘Yeah that’s it. How’d that work out for you?’

‘Pretty well.’ Coco smiled to herself in memory. ‘We’re now joint owners in all this’ she gestured broadly. ‘I owe her quite a lot, and I suppose I should thank you too for not locking her up.’

‘And you met for the first time when she was drunk as a skunk?’

‘More or less.’

‘Well stranger things have happened, but I’m still surprised. Is that the mare in question?’ Silhouette pointed to the second sheet sharing the table beside Luna’s.

‘Yep’ Coco verified with an underlying possessive pride in even the image of her marefriend. ‘We recently got engaged, so I need to work on her wedding gear at some point.’ This last speech however gave her pause, finding it surreal even as she spoke it. The words seemed simple enough, almost harmless, but in meaning they still seemed to go beyond their slight reality. At the same time almost in the same breath she had confirmed for how short a time they had actually known each other. As she stood surrounded by their successes she had to wonder the why of it, for why had she pushed things further and where would this move them to? Too far maybe? What would change as a result? Was it just that harsh possessiveness which she had just felt that had spurred her onward?

‘I know that look.’

‘What?’

‘You look a lot like my husband, who in turn for the record was apparently a mirror image of myself, after he asked me’ the soldier stated knowingly.

‘You’re married?’

‘With a couple of kids’ Silhouette confirmed, pulling back the obstructing mass of her mane to reveal a ring set in the helix of her pointed ear with a smile, its constituent fangs at odds with its underlyingly tender words. ‘I know, I’ve been told I don’t look like the type. To return to my point though, you look as if you’re not quite sure what you’ve done.’

‘That obvious?’

‘Oh yeah. It’s like you’ve opened a box and you’re not quite sure what you’ve let out; am I right? You should take it from me though marriage isn’t a biggy; everypony just likes to make out like it is. It took me a while to realise, but it doesn’t change squat if you don’t want it to, and what it can just tends to add to things. I mean I never saw myself with a ring, or children for that matter, but the point is to roll instinctively with how you feel and stuff will work out, and I for one regret nothing.’

‘Thanks.’ Coco meant it, returning this fact with an appreciative look, slightly if not fully reassured.

‘Don’t mention it; it’s good to do something other than just stand here awkwardly. Feel free to quiz me further.’

They returned to silence, the newly strengthened designer turning back to her work with new confidence, paranoid guilt and insecurity almost put somewhat to rest.

Author's Note:

Title: The Design (French)