• Published 14th Apr 2016
  • 4,762 Views, 317 Comments

The Other Side of the Horizon - Rambling Writer



Twilight gets deeply involved in political maneuvering while on an ambassadorial mission to the zebras.

  • ...
8
 317
 4,762

8 - Royals

“Chin up just a liiiiiittle more, yes,” said Livingstone. “She’ll be a little taller than you, so you want to be sure you’re looking her in the eyes without looking like you’re turning your nose up at her. Little more… Aaaaand… there.”

Twilight held her chin there and tried not to clench her teeth. It was the worst part of becoming a princess all over again: learning the protocol. Remember to place your hooves just so, don’t flick your tail more than a foot up if you don’t have to, don’t blink too often, don’t blink too infrequently, measure your breathing so you don’t have to pause mid-sentence to get some more air, keep your legs straight, don’t speak out of turn, blaaaaaaaaaaah. All the formalities were so boring and didn’t actually add to anything, since you were learning them by rote.

The worst part of the worst part was that a lot of zebra formalities were slightly different than pony formalities. The differences were big enough to throw her off and make her go through the already-learned motions through habit, but not big enough for her to put them in a separate category and start cataloguing them differently.

“And Spike…” Livingstone frowned. “I don’t think there’s anything I can do about you, sorry, no. You’re just too short. Just look up at her. She’ll understand.”

“She better,” said Spike.

To somehow make things even worse, when Twilight was finally able to take a break, it was like her worst nightmare: she was in a library, surrounded by books. Hundreds of them, possibly thousands, each and every single one from a brand new culture. She could spend weeks in there, learning the whole time, and not read the same thing twice. But, thanks to her lack of knowledge of Zebran orthography, she couldn’t read any of them. Screw Tartarus. This was pure torment.

But the dinner was now a scant thirty-two minutes and twenty-seven, twenty-six, twenty-five seconds away, and Twilight was beginning to feel like maybe protocol wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

“And remember,” said Livingstone, “when you pay homage to her-”

“I know,” muttered Twilight. But it wouldn’t do any good. They’d gone over this particular bit of information three times in the past fifteen minutes alone, and, yeah, it was important, very important, but Twilight was pretty sure it was burned into her memory by now.

“-you don’t want to go all the way and kiss her hooves,” continued Livingstone unabated. Her voice was slowly picking up speed. “She’ll think you’re a brownnoser. In fact, don’t even bow down too deeply. She’ll still think you’re a brownnoser. She doesn’t know you, and you don’t know her, so if she thinks you’re trying to pay respect to her that she hasn’t earned, she’ll assume you’re trying to suck up to her, which means that Equestria either doesn’t really care about who goes or it’s populated entirely by sycophants, s-”

Twilight gave her a light telekinetic smack upside the head. “Stop freaking out,” she said. “That’s my job.”

“You freaking out is bad, yes,” said Livingstone. She tried to smooth down her mane with a shaking hoof. “So I’m freaking out for you.”

“You’ll need to freak out more to match Twilight’s best freakouts.”

“Spike!”

“Well, it’s true.”

“…Yeah.”

It’d been a long day. A long, long, long day, all of it spent with Livingstone, and occasionally Uvivi, drilling manners and etiquette into Twilight’s and Spike’s brains. But finally, it was just about dinnertime, and they were ready to meet with the King of Zebrabwe. Hopefully.

Livingstone frowned at Twilight and batted at her wings. “Your dress will be sufficient,” she said, “but I think we should’ve packed something to accentuate your wings a bit more. They’re impressive, yes. Is there any chance you could eat with them out?”

“What?”

“Keep them open while you’re eating. Like this.” Livingstone lightly pushed Twilight’s wing into an open position. “Looks quite grand, it does. Zebrabwe’s lacking in them. The only species that has wings around here are birds.”

“I doubt it,” Twilight said, flicking her wing away. “It’d start aching after too long.”

“Hmm. Unfortunate. Well, maybe when you sit down, you can stretch, and just happen to flare your wings while doing so, yes.”

“I think we should be caring a bit more about what I say than how I display my wings!”

“It’s part of your image,” said Livingstone, gesturing grandly. “You need to look to powerful. Majestic. Splendid. Desireable.”

Twilight made a face. “Desireable?”

“Well, not in that way! You need to look… like someone would want to be an ally with you.”

“I know appearances count for something,” said Spike, “but this much? If Inkosi’s that easily swayed, I don’t think we’d want to be friends with her.”

“Maybe,” replied Livingstone, “but you still need to project some image.”

“The image I’ve got is fine! It’s-”

The door to the apartments opened and Uvivi came in, grinning. “Got the two-way translation down,” she said. “Bit trickier, but now I won’t need to also cast the spell on anyone else you want to talk to. Gimme a sec.” Her horn glowed more brightly than it had before. The light split into five balls, each of which zipped over to one of the ponies or dragon in Twilight’s group and showered them with sparkles.

“Feel good?” asked Uvivi. “You look good. Remind me to show you how to do that. It’s long-lasting but ultimately temporary, and I don’t want your translation faltering at the wrong time.”

“After dinner,” said Twilight. “Or tomorrow. And I can’t thank you enough for doing this. It simplifies things so much for us, I ca-”

“Eh, don’t worry about it.” Uvivi shrugged. “You’re with Livingstone, and I-”

“UVIVI!”

Another abada, this one even smaller than Uvivi (if only by a little), stormed into the room. She stomped angrily as best she could, but her size meant Twilight had dropped books that made more threatening sounds on impact. The abada didn’t so much as glance at anyone else in the room, instead looking like she was trying to fry Uvivi alive with heat vision. Stormwalker and Cumulus both looked ready to pounce, but weren't going to go that far just yet.

Uvivi jumped, then sighed. “Mhate, I-”

“Do not give me that,” snapped Mhate. “You didn’t say anything. The day before our meeting with Inkosi, a mere half-hour, and you just- just-” She spluttered for several moments, trying to find a word to properly express her frustration. Eventually, she gave up. “-just run off to these…” She gestured at the ponies in the room.

“Ponies,” prompted Uvivi.

“Foreigners!”

We’re foreigners.”

“Oh, you know what I mean. We’ve been working at this for over ten years, then an envoy from an entirely new species shows up and you immediately drop everything to help them.”

“I owed a favor or two to one of them. Besides, we’ve got this in the bag. Okubi’ll be fine, even if she’s only got you.”

“That doesn’t change you abandoning your job!” yelled Mhate. “If you had just said something before you chose to join up with these latecomers-”

“Mhate, stop talking about them like that. They wouldn’t like that.”

Mhate let out a quick, barking laugh. “Oh, really. Why? They don’t speak Abadic, why is there any reason I should speak anything but my mind while I’m around these intruders?”

Twilight and Uvivi exchanged a long look. Finally, Twilight coughed. “Because she just ran the translation spell on us?”

Mhate went so rigid she might as well have been petrified. The silence was so complete a pin dropping would’ve been deafening. Mhate looked between everybody, her face cycling between anger and terror so swiftly it was hard to tell them apart. When she finally made it back to Uvivi, she said, “Just be ready, okay?” She then bolted from the room so quickly a cloud of dust and a swinging door were the only evidence she hadn’t teleported out.

“Heh. Sorry,” said Uvivi. “She’s the other consul I’m with. She doesn’t like change much. She’s also…” She rubbed the back of her neck. “…let’s just say anal and leave it at that.”

“That’s one way to put it,” said Twilight. “Is she always going to be like that?”

“Maybe. Maybe not. She might just be stressed. She’s, um, she’s got a point.” Uvivi looked over her shoulder out the door. “Look, I should probably get going, okay?” And she was gone.

“…Okay then,” said Twilight. “Livingstone, is there anything else we need to cover?” Please say no, please say no, please say no…

“Nope. We just need to get you into your dress, yes.”

Joy. It was better than endless hours of protocol, but still.


It didn’t matter how much she adjusted it, Twilight’s collar itched.

Her dress wasn’t too bad. It provided a lot of freedom of motion while still looking nice and not being too overblown. But that collar. Sweet Celestia, did that collar itch. She rubbed her neck, moved the collar up and down and side to side, but it kept itching for no reason she could see. Livingstone had a simpler dress than Twilight, and Spike, as per usual, had nothing.

The dining room they were in- “Dining room” seemed too mundane to describe it. It was too grandiose for that. “Eating hall” more like. It was big, with the already-large table only taking up a relatively small portion of the room. Torches lined the walls (with the electric lights around the place, Twilight guessed they were purely for ambience) and the floor and ceiling were intricately decorated. One wall was an array of windows looking out over Kulikulu. The view was spectacular; Twilight could easily see the whole city from here. The sun was slowly setting, casting orange light all over the room. Servants were waiting in the wings, ready to exchange empty plates for full ones once dinner began. The table was covered with so many different types of food that Twilight had never seen before that she could barely take it all in. The settings were all clearly designed for a lack of magic; the silverware and cups had oversized handles you could stick your hooves in to manipulate.

Twilight, Spike, Livingstone, and the bodyguards were standing at the end of a line of eight or nine zebras and abadas; nobles and executives, she was guessing. They all had different styles of clothes, ranging from things that were merely monochrome sheets shaped for an equine body to things that resembled the offspring of a loom and fireworks. Livingstone had said the waiting was a zebran tradition; they couldn’t take their seats until Inkosi appeared. And they hadn’t been waiting that long, but that stupid collar wouldn’t stop itching.

Twilight fidgeted with her collar yet again and grunted. It was such a pain. The abada in front of her, a big mare (relatively speaking, she was still shorter than most ponies) in what Twilight assumed was a Wilayabadan business suit, glanced back at her and smirked. An “I can relate” smirk, not a “look at the stupid princess” one. “Formal clothes, huh?” she muttered.

“Yeah,” mumbled Twilight. “Why can’t they make clothes that look nice and are comfortable?”

“That would make sense.” The abada inclined her head slightly. “Mtendaji. And you’re Princess Twilight Sparkle, correct? Talk about you has spread through the palace quickly.” She extended a hoof.

“Yes, I am,” said Twilight, shaking the hoof. I wonder how many others know about me so far. “What’re you here for, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Mtendaji waved a hoof in some vague direction. “Oh, mining stuff. It’s probably boring to you, but it’s very important to me and the zebras of Zebrabwe. I’m here with Mhate and Uvivi — I’ve heard you’ve met them, and I’m really sorry about Mhate — and also Okubi. That one there.” She pointed at a zebra up the line who was a bit taller than usual, which put her almost in line with Luna, but bony and scrawny and possessed of one of those perpetually frowning faces. “Basically, she’s the zebra executive for our company, I’m the abada exec.”

“I see.” Twilight wasn’t sure where to go from there, so she let it drop.

Mtendaji began clicking her hooves against the floor. “You know, I really hope King Inkosi shows up soon. I’m hungry, we’ve been waiting forever, a-”

Suddenly, almost as if on cue, the main entrance doors swung open. Two zebra guards with horns played a brief fanfare as two short lines of guards filed into the room. They stepped aside, and King Inkosi entered the room.

Twilight wasn’t sure what she was expecting for Inkosi’s appearance. Whenever she came up with an idea (a huge, musclebound warrior, covered in tattoos), her brain would tell her that that was stereotypical, and she’d switch to another one (a tiny, frail elder, barely able to speak loud enough for anyone to hear her), only for her brain to tell her that one was stereotypical and begin perpetuating the cycle again. But she had some archetypes that popped up more often than not.

Among all her guesses, however, what she wasn’t expecting was a middle-aged, average-sized zebra in the Zebrabwean equivalent of a three-piece suit.

The zebra who followed the guards in was remarkably unassuming in appearance, but she walked with the calm, nonchalant air of one who had so much authority over everyone else around that she could get away with anything. And considering the company in the room, that was saying something. Her build was supremely average in almost every way. Her clothes were simple: a basic suit done in dark red fabric with golden threads for trimming. The only thing keeping her from being a businesszebra back in Equestria was the crown: it wasn’t gaudy and flashy, but it wasn’t as quiet and subdued as Celestia’s or Luna’s, either. The base was an average metal circlet, but sticking out of it were several feathers of various colors, all very bushy and over a foot long.

King Inkosi stopped before the head of the table, and without a word from her or change in expression, the line began to move. As each person passed by her, they paid homage in some way. Some just bowed their heads a few degrees silently. One dropped to the floor, hugged Inkosi’s hooves, and kissed them for several seconds straight before Inkosi lightly nudged him away. There was no real pattern; it seemed to be based all on the individual’s preference. If any of it displeased Inkosi, she made no sign of it.

And then it was Twilight’s turn. She remembered everything Livingstone had said — how could she not? — but it didn’t quell the stress any. Her knees still felt like jelly and her heart still pounded in her ears. She decided to go simple: she walked in front of Inkosi, lowered her head, and said, “Your Highness.”

When she looked back up, she and Inkosi briefly locked gazes, and the first thing that struck Twilight was how friendly Inkosi’s eyes seemed. They weren’t hard, displeased, dispassionate, or anything like that. They looked more warm and welcoming. Maybe not as much as Celestia’s, but a lot closer than Twilight would’ve expected. Inkosi smiled slightly, just enough for Twilight to see. Twilight managed to imitate the smile and move on.

She didn’t see Spike’s or Livingstone’s interactions with Inkosi, but a great weight had been taken off her shoulders. Her first interaction with Inkosi had gone alright. Her first impression was, thus far, a success. Hopefully, she wouldn’t screw it up any more.

The diners took their places, with Stormwalker and Cumulus standing behind Twilight, Spike, and Livingstone. Inkosi took a seat, smiled, and said in a remarkably casual voice, “Dig in!”

Twilight didn’t need to be told twice. She almost planted her face in her plate, but managed to stop herself and eat in a more dignified manner at the last second. She looked to her left; Spike was eating with dignity. She looked to her right; Livingstone was eating with dignity. Good. Good. She stole a glance behind herself at her bodyguards. Stormwalker looked alert, but at least she wasn’t going to dive tackle someone who reached for their fork wrong. Cumulus was half-relaxed, half-aware.

So should she talk first, or should Inkosi talk first? Her question was answered when Inkosi started talking to Okubi about land. Right. This wasn’t her dinner at all. “And now we wait for them to finish?” she asked Livingstone.

“And now we wait for them to finish,” Livingstone said with a nod. “It’ll be some time, but they have precedence, yes.”

“Do you know how long it’ll take?” said Spike. “The food’s good-” He popped some kind of fruit into his mouth. “-but I can only eat for so long.”

“Try to eat slowly, then,” said Livingstone. “It shouldn’t be too long. This is just a formality compared to the actual talks, after all.”

“I hope so,” said Twilight. She settled back and waited for them to finish, trying to follow the conversation as best she could.

Easier said than done. At first it was semi-interesting, about some zebra-abada coal-mining company called Imayini Yamalahle, but once it turned to talks of land ownership outside Kulikulu, it got a lot harder for Twilight to care. She tried to listen, she really did, but one could only listen to zoning laws that didn’t concern them for so long.

She tried watching the conversationalists, and for a while, that worked. Mhate, for all her abrasiveness before, looked to be doing just fine here; she was doing most of the talking and was going about it in a level-headed manner. Every now and then, Okubi would put in something, but otherwise, she just ate and occasionally stared at Twilight for as much as ten seconds at a time. Mtendaji seemed content to just sit back and go “uh-huh”, “yeah”, or “nope”. Uvivi wanted to come in, bouncing in her seat a little, but rarely got the chance to say anything. But eventually, even that wore down. Besides, she was staring.

As she picked at her food (which was delicious), and watched the servants go back and forth, Twilight thought. How deep should this particular conversation go? Was it best to start talking about friendships, or should she talk about Equestria first? If Livingstone had gotten into the court, Inkosi probably knew a little bit about Equestria, but how much? Actually, it was probably best to start with details about Equestria, since then, Inkosi could make a more informed decision on-

Spike jabbed Twilight in the ribs. “Twilight!” he whispered. “She’s talking to you!”

Twilight twitched and looked up. Apparently having finished her conversation with the abadas, Inkosi had turned her attention to her and was smiling expectantly. Most of the others were looking at her with mild disapproval. “Omigosh, I am so sorry!” gasped Twilight. Umpteen bazillion and thirty-five thoughts of how she’d just ruined everything forever ran through her head. “I wasn’t involved in the conversation, and I wasn’t paying attention, and-”

But Inkosi waved her down. “I understand,” she said. “It can be… tricky to care about a conversation when you have no stake in it, hmm? Indeed. Now… Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, was it?”

“Yes,” said Twilight, inclining her head slightly. “This is Spike, my number one assistant-” She patted Spike on the head; he smiled hesitantly. “-and this is Livingstone, who I think you know.”

“I do indeed,” said Inkosi. “First pony I ever met, and she left a good first impression.” (Livingstone suddenly buried her face in her plate.)

“There are two more in my party, but, um-” Twilight glanced briefly at Livingstone, who shrugged. “-circumstances forced us to split up. They should be here in the next week.”

“Hmm. A shame, that. I hope they turn up safely.” Inkosi ate a rice cake in a single bite. “So what brings you to Zebrabwe?”

“It just seemed to me that we could try to open communications between our two countries. I brought it up with our ruler, Princess Celestia, and she ordered me to-”

Inkosi cut in. “Wait. You’re a princess. How could this… Celestia order you around if she’s also a princess?”

“Celestia’s the co-ruler of Equestria, along with her sister Princess Luna. I help, but I’m a bit lower than they are.”

“All the people who have the slightest say in ruling Equestria all share the same title, regardless of their actual position to one another?”

“Well, Celestia and Luna are equals,” said Twilight, “but they’re above Cadance and me, and…” That made her stop and frown a bit. Was there a princess hierarchy? It seemed like there wasn’t, aside from Celestia and Luna being on top, but people seemed to talk about… Never mind. “Cadance and I are equals,” said Twilight. Even if it wasn’t true, it was close enough.

Inkosi frowned. “That seems unnecessarily simplistic. Why not just call Celestia and Luna kings?”

“It’s their way of keeping themselves from being too distant from their subjects.” This was something Twilight hadn’t thought of, much to her chagrin: that she’d have to explain everything to Inkosi and the zebras. “They take the lower title to remind themselves that they shouldn’t think of most ponies as mere underlings.” It was weird; even griffons and minotaurs knew the basics. “And since they move the sun and moon, th-”

Everyone twitched, and across the table, a zebra in a robe that appeared to be made of gold thread coughed. “Come now, princess,” she said. “While I don’t doubt that your leaders may be quite powerful, do you honestly expect us to believe they move the sun and moon, as opposed to them moving of their own accord?”

“That’s Kutengwa,” Livingstone whispered to Twilight. “She’s a bit of a Zebrabwean isolationist, yes. She won’t want you staying here.”

Twilight clenched her teeth slightly. Now, how to make herself look confident without also looking like someone who was ignorant of their own ignorance? After a brief internal debate, she decided to go with brevity. “Yes.”

Kutengwa laughed softly. “Really. And, considering the day-night cycle has been going for millennia, they’ve also been around all that time?”

Twilight clenched her teeth a little more. “Yes. Both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are thousands of years old.”

Murmurs broke out around the table. Some were worried (could Equestrians really be that powerful?) and some were dismissive (she’s delusional is what she is). Kutengwa cocked her head and smirked. “But I suppose you have no proof of this, hmm? Obviously, it’s just those two, and you can’t move the sun on your own. Conveniently.”

“Actually, no.”

Silence fell like an anvil and everyone stared at Twilight with varying expressions of horror, amusement, and confusion. Kutengwa coughed. “Come again?”

“I’m not as powerful as either of them,” Twilight said, “but I can move the sun, at least a little. Would you like me to show you?” Livingstone looked like she’d been slapped in the face and Spike was tugging on her tail, shaking his head. She ignored them; if she backed out now, nothing good would happen.

After a moment’s pause, Kutengwa nodded slightly. “…Yes,” she said slowly. “I would like that very much.”

“Alrighty then,” said Twilight. She jumped off her seat and strode to the window. Her confident steps concealed the fact that her thoughts were a combination of sweet Celestia, why did I do this?, the mental equivalent of incoherently screaming in terror, and various assorted angry expletives.

Twilight wasn’t completely sure she could move the sun, if she was being honest with herself. The only time she’d done it before, she had the power of three other alicorns helping her. Now, she only had herself. But unicorns had done it before Celestia and Luna were around, right? And they’d done the whole thing, morning to morning, day in and day out. Twilight didn’t want to complete an orbital cycle, just jiggle the sun a little to show what she could do. Surely she could manage that.

Right? Right?

She hadn’t even wanted Kutengwa to respond. She’d hoped her supreme confidence would be enough for her to back down. That was the problem with bluffs: every now and then, you’d run into someone smart enough (or stupid enough) to call them. Twilight just hoped she could manage this tiny, single thing with everyone watching, or else Equestria’s reputation would be ruined before it had a chance to be built, and… bad things would happen. Very bad things.

Twilight reached the walls and stared out the window, at the skyline of Kulikulu. The sun was dropping perfectly in between two towers, framing the palace between them. (Twilight wondered if a decree had ordered no towers to be built there, so the king would always have a view of the sunset at dinner.) She took a deep breath, gathered all the magic she could, braced herself, closed her eyes, prayed, and reached out.

The effort was immense, larger than anything she’d attempted on her own. But soon, she had the sun in her grasp. And she pushed, pushed with every single metaphysical muscle she had. She still didn’t know the proper way to do it. But it couldn’t be that hard.

The sun budged.

It was barely anything, not noticeable from the dining room. But Twilight felt it, and, somehow, redoubled her efforts. She tried a more directed push, aiming to move the sun to one side, behind one of the towers. If that didn’t convince them, nothing would.

The sun jumped a few inches to the right and a sliver of it vanished behind the tower. The change was undeniable. Everyone in the room gasped, some of them cursing. In spite of the sweat running down her face, Twilight started grinning. Who was looking stupid now? It was hard, but she kept at it. She pushed in the other direction, and the sun slid slightly behind the other tower. More gasping and cursing. There is no way I could’ve had a better demonstration, Twilight thought.

Suddenly, some other force grabbed the sun and, easily as if Twilight had been no more than a bug, shoved it back into place. Twilight strained against it, but she might as well have been trying to drill a hole through diamond with a wet feather. She released the sun with a gasp and took deep, heaving breaths. She sidled back to her seat and tried to ignore the way everyone was staring at her as if she’d just pulled her guts out her mouth.

She couldn’t help it; she grinned her most irritating grin at Kutengwa, who looked like she’d just been shot. “And that,” Twilight said in between breaths, “is how you do it.”

“B-b-bubba-bobba-hob-hobba-hobba-wah-wah,” said Kutengwa.

Silence reigned for several moments. Everyone was staring at Twilight like she was about to rip the sun from the sky and drop it on them. Even Uvivi and Mtendaji looked terrified. The only one who seemed halfway normal was Inkosi, but she still had big eyes and a tight jaw. Twilight tried to ignore them and keep eating, but that was kind of hard to do.

Eventually, Inkosi spoke up. She was trying to sound jovial, but her voice was a bit higher than usual. “Well, then, I guess it’s in our best interests to not piss Celestia off, lest she take the sun away.”

“It’s not that simple,” Twilight said, shaking her head. “We- hang on.” She brushed aside her dishes and silverware to clear some space, then put two plates next to each other and picked up a cup in her magic. “Now, this is Zebrabwe, this is Equestria, and this is the sun.” She pointed at, respectively, the two plates and the cup. “Celestia moves the sun around the world every day.” She passed the cup over the plates a few times. “Now, suppose she did keep Zebrabwe shrouded in darkness. But where would that leave the sun?” She stopped levitating the cup over the Zebrabwe plate and held it over the Equestria plate.

A few murmurs broke out around the table and Inkosi’s fear slowly began to disappear. Twilight continued. “If we take the sun away from Zebrabwe, that leaves the sun permanently over Equestria. Even if you freeze to death, we’re frying to death. We can’t use the sun as leverage because we depend on it as much as you.”

A collective sigh came up, most visibly from Inkosi. She took a sip of some drink, trying to look casual. “And… moving the sun is a full-time deal, is it?”

Twilight knew the question Inkosi wasn’t asking: Celestia’s too wrapped up in her duties to come over here and smite us, right? Of course, given the power disparity between Equestria and Zebrabwe, that was a perfectly reasonable question to ask. “More or less,” Twilight said with a shrug. “It’s complicated, but between moving the sun and running the country, a lot of Celestia’s time is taken up. In fact, part of the reason I’m here is that, although I’m less powerful, Equestria can go longer if I’m not ar-”

Abruptly, Spike started hacking, and he belched a scroll onto the table. “Message from Celestia, Twilight. Obviously,” he said. He picked it up and began poking at the seal. “Talk about inconvenient.”

“A… a message? From… from this… Celestia?” Mhate stammered. “You have… nigh-instantaneous… transoceanic communication… via a biological medium?”

“Yes,” Twilight said simply.

Mhate blinked a lot, then leaned over and started muttering to Okubi.

Spike coughed. “S-so, um,” he said, staring at the scroll in his hands, “should we r-read this, or ignore it, or what?”

“Read it!” said Inkosi happily. “Assuming it’s not personal, obviously. I can only imagine what Celestia has to say to her ambassador.”

Spike glanced at Twilight, who motioned for him to read it. He nodded, unrolled the scroll, and cleared his throat. “Dear Twilight,” he read, “I don’t know what you’re up to in Zebrabwe, but please: if you’re going to move the sun to impress the zebras, let me know first. Having it start to move back and forth during lunch with no warning is very disconcerting, and the constancy of the sun’s movement is vital for the survival of Equestria, not to mention other lands. Sincerely, Princess Celestia. P.S.: If you’re not responsible for the sun’s erratic behavior, let me know. We may have a big problem on our hooves.”

Inkosi laughed. “Well! Well well well. You won’t have the slightest difficulty staying in touch with her, that’s for certain. Would you like to write back?” She turned to one of the servants. “Could you get us pen and parchment, please?” The servant bowed and scurried away.

When the servant returned, Spike scribbled out a quick apology from Twilight, while Inkosi added a few words of greeting. He set it aflame, much the bemusement of every non-pony in attendance, and once the smoke had vanished out the window, Inkosi clapped her hooves together. “Now,” she said, “where were we before we got diverted by this sun business? You were saying you came purely to open relations, I think.”

“Right,” Twilight said with a nod. “W-”

“And to maybe see if you can lift the travel restrictions, yes,” Livingstone added quickly.

Beneath the table, Twilight lightly kicked Livingstone. She’d been hoping to lead into that a bit more. They’d’ve gotten to it eventually, sure, but to bring it up so suddenly kind of undermined the whole idea of diplomacy. Hey, we’re only here so you can do something for u-

“The whats?”

A strange silence slowly fell over the table, and Inkosi was staring at Livingstone. Everyone else was either staring at Livingstone or Inkosi, or picking at their food and pretending they weren’t staring at Livingstone or Inkosi.

Livingstone coughed. “The… travel restrictions?” she said tentatively. “The ones you sent out six years ago. I’d just arrived in Bandari Mji, yes, and then came a message from the royal court saying travel beyond Zebrabwe’s borders was forbidden.”

“I never sent out anything like that,” Inkosi said slowly. Her voice had changed, going from the happy-go-lucky tone she once had to something much more serious. “I have no reason to make a law like that. Did it have the royal seal?”

“Yes. I sent word to you to try and get an audience, but I was always turned away.”

“…As far as I know, the court never received any such letters from Bandari Mji.”

Well, thought Twilight, this just got a lot more complicated.