• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 939 Views, 8 Comments

The Trenches - paxtofettel



A series of journal entries chronicling the experiences of a pony in war.

  • ...
 8
 939

Extra: Letter to Home

Dear Mother,

First off, thank you for the cookies you sent over; they were delicious, as always.

Everything's been so quiet lately. It's almost as if there was no war going on. My friends (yes, you read that right) and I have been spending most of the time playing cards and singing songs from home. Once in a while, a shot might be heard at one point, but then silence follows.

It turns out that Sea Shell is also part of my unit. You remember Sea Shell, don't you? That colt that loves collecting shells down by the beach back home? Last night, he showed me part of his collection that he brought with him. They were beautiful, their design so simple yet so stunning.

There's this other pony in the unit; his name's Farce Tale. He doesn't really talk too much. Mainly, he just stays away from our group and writes in his little notebooks. Some of us tried to talk to him, but he always ignores us and continues his writing. Sometimes I wonder if he even has any friends.

We have lost some ponies in the past weeks. One of them, a zoologist from Maredrid was trying to sketch an image of a bird he saw perched on a dead tree. When it flew away, he stood up, trying to get a better view. We tried yelling at him to get down, but it was too late. A single shot rang out; he probably died before he even heard it.

Mother, it's hard for me to put down how much i miss you in words. Sometimes, I wish this damn war would end already so I can come back to all of you. Please, if you get the chance, tell Golden Delight that I love her and that I miss her so much.

With love,
Lickety Split