• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 340 Views, 0 Comments

Friendship With Heart - Melody Dream



Florid Rainbow is excited to attend CHS. She has read all about CHS in the news and plans to find the portal to Equestria to have an exciting pony adventure. But things don't turn out as she had originally imagined...

  • ...
 0
 340

Chapter 1: First Day at CHS

I walked up the steps of CHS with all the other students. It was so crowded, I had to really pay attention to where I was walking as I walked up CHS’s many stairs leading to the entrance. Once I was inside I did a slow motion twirl, observing the lobby of the school. Hmm… CHS looked just like a normal school; where could the portal possibly be? I walked through a long hallway, looking for my locker, I needed to unload some of my stuff from my backpack into it. I eventually found it, typed in the combination on the lock, and began unloading my backpack. I was just putting my last book in my locker, when I heard a voice behind me.

“Hello! Welcome to CHS. I’m Sunset Shimmer, and you are?”

I whirled around. “You’re Sunset Shimmer!” I exclaimed, grinning.

“Um…yes?” Sunset Shimmer looked at me quizzically.

I blushed. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off like that. I’m Florid Rainbow. It was nice meeting you Sunset Shimmer.” I smiled.

Sunset Shimmer stared at me confused for a few moments, then visibly collected herself, smiled, and said, “It was nice meeting you too, Florid Rainbow. If you have any questions let me know, I might be able to help you. Math is my specialty, by the way. I’ll see you later.” She smiled and walked away.

I met Sunset Shimmer! I smiled to myself as I placed the last book in my locker, closed the door, then locked it.


After I finished lunch in the school cafeteria, I checked my watch, I still had a few minutes before my next class. I decided I would look around the school more; maybe I could find that portal! I walked out of the cafeteria and strolled through one of CHS’s many hallways. I looked right and left as I walked, looking for what I thought a portal would look like.

Some time later, I glanced at my watch for the umpteenth time and gasped. I only had 5 minutes until my next class! I had to hurry. I pulled the slip of paper, listing all of my classes and where they were located, out of my pocket. I studied it for a moment. Why wasn’t the map making any sense?! I glared at the sheet of paper dismissively. Then I realized it was upside down! I could feel my face turning red as I glanced around the hallway, had anyone seen me? Phew! I let out a breath of air when I realized I was the only one in the hallway; which meant no one had seen me.
Once I finally found out where I would be going, I closed the map and put it back in my jeans pocket.

On my way to class I heard music and voices coming from a nearby room. I walked toward the door and glanced inside. Sunset Shimmer was there as well as five other girls. All the girls were playing instruments and singing into microphones. I found myself standing there, just listening. I loved how the rhythm and melody of their current song they were playing felt, it was enchantingly wonderful! The lyrics sounded great too! After a few moments, one of the girls-the rainbow-haired one-suddenly lifted into the air and grew a tail and pony ears! I stepped back, startled and tripped over my own feet. I fell unceremoniously onto my back.

All of a sudden the music stopped and all the girls turned to stare at me. I gasped, grabbed the ground with my fingertips, and quickly lifted myself off the ground. I turned away from the room and walked briskly on my way. How humiliating! They most likely saw me gasp and fall when the uhh…thing happened to the rainbow-haired girl. They probably thought I wasn’t a very accepting girl. Oh no, I groaned. Sunset Shimmer, and the other girls too, probably wouldn’t want to be my friend after today.

The last bell of the day rang and I headed toward my locker. I put some of my schoolbooks and notebooks from my locker in my backpack for studying at home. Then I walked toward the exit/entrance of CHS. As I walked down the steps of the school, Sunset Shimmer dashed down the steps behind me.

“Wait up Florid Rainbow!” Sunset Shimmer gasped.

I stopped and waited for her to reach me.

“Hi!” Sunset Shimmer smiled. “Sorry about earlier. We didn’t mean to scare you off like that.”

“It’s alright.” I smiled back at Sunset Shimmer understandingly.

“Anyway,” Sunset Shimmer continued. “What you saw earlier was Rainbow Dash ponying up. It happens when we play music; when one of us feels really connected with the song we are currently playing, she will ‘pony up.’”

I must have been looking at her funny because she laughed and said, “It must have looked really odd to you. Don’t worry,” Sunset Shimmer winked at me. “I don’t completely understand the whole ‘ponying up’ thing either.”

I felt better now, knowing I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a little odd.

“I’m sorry I left quickly.” I said. “My class started soon.” It was at least 99% true; I was going to be late for class if I hadn’t hurried. Though, that wasn’t the reason I had left the music room so quickly.

“No problem!” Sunset Shimmer said.


We walked side by side down the rest of stairs.

“How was your first day of school?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“It was fine.” I smiled.

Should I ask her where the portal is; I knew she knew where it was. Or would that be an awkward question?

We made our way over to the school’s mascot statue, which was right in front of CHS. The statue was a horse rearing up, its hooves aimed for the sky, with about a three and a half foot high base beneath the statue.

Sunset Shimmer leaned against the edge of the statue and began to talk about various things happening-past and present-at CHS. I half listened while I observed all the students walking around. Some students were chatting with their friends, while others were making their way to the school bus that would take them home. My bus was scheduled to leave in about ten minutes; so I still had some time to talk with Sunset Shimmer.

“Do you drive to school?” I asked Sunset Shimmer when she came to a break in her conversation.

“Yes I do. I drive an orange Mustang with red flames on the sides!” Sunset Shimmer grinned at me.

“Do you drive at all?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Maybe I could show you how to drive sometime.” Sunset Shimmer smiled.

“Oh! In your Mustang? I couldn’t!” I exclaimed.

Sunset Shimmer laughed. “In a big parking lot with no cars it won’t be a problem.” She assured me.

“Thank you!” I smiled. “Sounds like it might be fun!”

“I’d better go now. I have dance practice in about an hour.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“Okay.” I smiled. “It was nice talking to you. See you tomorrow!”

“You too!” Sunset Shimmer waved, then walked away.

Sunset Shimmer accidentally bumped the base below the statue with her arm, right before she walked away. A sparkle coming from the base caught my eye. Is this horse statue directly outside CHS the portal to the pony land? I had expected it to be more hidden.
I wonder if the statue is a horse because it leads to the pony realm? Or it could just be because CHS’s sports team are called the Wondercolts, I reasoned.
A big smile spread across my face. I felt like jumping up and down with joy. I had found the portal to the pony world, and on my first day at CHS too! I had expected it to take me at least a week to find it. Should I go in now?
No, I decided. I’ll go tomorrow, right after school. I wanted to pack a few things for my trip to pony land!