• Published 16th Mar 2016
  • 1,882 Views, 178 Comments

Daring Do and the Sword of Excalibur - Silver Malice



When Scootaloo collapses, screaming about a magic sword, evil gryphons, and a strange golden mare with grey mane, it’s up to Rainbow Dash and her hero Daring Do to keep Scootaloo from the clutches of an evil fanatic in search of the sword Excalibur

  • ...
12
 178
 1,882

Chapter 8 part 2: Going Out With a Bang!

It had taken two hours for them to make their way through the dense underbrush and twisted coils of the blasted Everfree, but finally Twilight and Rainbow Dash had reached the outskirts of the forest ridge that ran along the edge of Ponyville. The bright lamp light of the streets made the whole town glow like a beacon from the point of view of the dark forest.

Both Twilight and Dash bore the wounds of their travel, their bodies covered in burrs and twigs, cuts, and bruises from rather large vines. Sweat from hours of stressful onslaught had glistened their fur. Their manes were bedraggled and their limbs weak, but still here they stood.

It had been a hard journey, Twilight had used the location spell to feel their way through the forest. The location spell without a place of origin made it hard to get a specific grasp of where they were going, like a game of hot and cold it was more a matter of feeling which direction felt right. As soon as they saw the glow from Ponyville’s lamp lit streets, they knew they were on the right track.

“You did it Twilight, you got us back home,” mumbled Dash, leaning against her friend for support.

“W-W-We had to fly through the poisoned swamp, over the snake-head pit, and cut our way through a mile of tree growth, ughh… but here we are.” Twilight voice was soft and stuttering, sore from a lack of use. Her horn still glowed a bright purple from the location spell.

“I really need to rest a bit Twi. I think i might just pass out!”

“Not yet Rainbow, we still have work to do, hold on.” Twilight shifted her stance as she gathered her magic and her strength, Rainbow leaning tightly against her.

“What...” stated Rainbow right before they disappeared in a puff of smoke and glow of magic.

“... w-w-was t-that?” stuttered Dash blinking as she was greeted by the sight of downtown Ponyville. The gleam of several street lanterns lighting up the street both she and Twilight were currently on.

“I just transported us into town, just down the street from Rarity’s Boutique. Spike’s right outside it,” answered Twilight, staring down the street, just able to make out the boutique’s main doors. Both mares realized at the same time they needed to hurry. Sharing an exasperated look, they hurtled forward, both at a fierce gallop despite their weakened condition.

“Twi, you remember what that griffon said right? They’ll be spotters watching Spike!” Rainbow hollered even as she started flapping her wings, trying to get them ready in case of a need for flight.

“I know but I have a plan!” shouted Twilight in response, her own wings starting to shake in warm-up.

~

Spike was running late to the party at Town Hall, but he had wanted to wrap his gift for Scootaloo in the best gift wrap available. So of course he had to use Rarity’s materials, they were always the finest material and very classy. As he was shutting the doors to the boutique, he hefted the small gift under his arm. The gift was wrapped neatly in blue velvet wrapping and tied with a bright red bow and green string.

“Hope Scootaloo likes this new racing band,” he thought to himself, hefting the small package back under his arm as he locked the Boutique’s doors. She often wore them to keep the sweat out of her eyes while zooming on her scooter. The particular brand he got her was special in that it was the first Rainbow Dash approved product placement band out there. Since becoming a Wonderbolt Rainbow had been approved to help sell some small-item merchandise, nothing too fancy though since she was technically a rookie still.

Turning to make his way over to the town hall, Spike was surprised to find the sight of a very ragged Twilight and Rainbow hurtling towards him at break neck speed.

“What the…?” he started before Twilight reached him first grabbing him embracing them both in a fierce and powerful hug.

“Oh Spike you have no idea how good it is to see you!”

“Ughhh...T-Twilight...c-can’t breathe,” struggled Spike, nearly being smothered in the princesses purple chest.

“Oh sorry Spike, it’s just been a long few days,” muttered Twilight letting the purple dragon take a much needed breather.

“Twi we got to move now!” cried Rainbow her eyes darting back and forth, her body tense and ready for a fight.

Twilight finally noticed what the cyan mare was warning her about, as three burly shapes seemed to melt from the corresponding buildings and barreled toward them.

“Spike, Rainbow, grab hold of my mane!” shouted Twilight, wincing as a fierce set of claws and a pushy hoof grabbed her purple mane tight.

Charging her magic she gave the three now identifiable griffons a, in your face grin as the mares and dragon disappeared in a billow of smoke, followed by a massive explosion of magical light which blinded the three attackers.

Once Spike and Rainbow opened their eyes they found themselves standing in the center hall of Twilight's castle, the familiar sight of the cutie-map table and their six stone thrones before them.

“That was totally awesome Twilight, did you see their faces?” cheered Rainbow hopping into the air as she did so.

“It was rather good wasn’t it,” chirped Twilight with a blush on her face, crossing her front legs together in a sheepish gesture.

“Okay Twilight, Rainbow, what in CELESTIA’S name is going on?!” screeched Spike, interrupting their conversation with an irritated scowl. The little dragon looked up at them from between the two mares, still holding his small gift tight to his chest.

“Griffons Spike, Ponyville's been invaded!” called out Rainbow.

“Yeah there have been twenty of them in town for the last few days, they said you sent them Twilight. To help with the party,” answered Spike.

“They lied Spike, they’re after Scootaloo.” Twilight pushed past both the dragon and Rainbow as she made her way over to her throne.

“Why are they after Scootaloo?” asked Spike in surprise.

“Some stuffy old black griffon wants her because she’s the daughter of Daring Do and can lead him to a sword of ultimate power and…” trailed off Rainbow in a rant.

Spike simply turned to look over at Twilight a questionable look about his face.

“It’s a long story Spike, the most important thing is we need to stop the griffons from taking Scootaloo.” stated Twilight.

“Ughh Twilight, the griffons, Scootaloo, and everyone else is at the birthday celebration in the town hall.” Spike’s voice carried a hint of dread in it, as if he already believed it was too late.

“The birthday party…oh dear, we need to act fast!”cried Twilight galloping from the cutie map table and past Spike.

“What are we going to do Twi?” cried Rainbow after her.

“The thing we should have done from the beginning...Spike take a note.”

~

Tenner pushed his way through the throng of ponies, a frightened scowl about his face. He was desperately trying to make his way to Shekel and Scratch, the two gryphons in question being slung back and forth by their pony dance partners.

“This is not good, not good not good, damn ponies they’re dancing and we got a crisis over here!” screamed the spy in his head. Pushing past several ponies he finally found himself in the middle of the dance floor.

Scratch and Shekel were both front and center, being dragged back and forth by the pink pony and mayor respectively. Tenner could see the obvious sense of discomfort but also the traces of excitement upon their faces. He had no idea what would make them so excited, their giblets were literally now on the chopping block...as were all of theirs as well.

“Ahem uh Lieuten---ah ahem I mean, um Scratch, uh may I speak to you for a second?” he clumsily squawked.

The mayor and Scratch stopped their dancing as he whispered something into her ear before quickly disengaging from the grey-tan mare.

“Ugh yes, Tenner” he questioned, moving himself so that both he and the other griffon were out of earshot. “What’s the news?” he asked the older griffon hotly.

“Not good. while you two and the rest of these young chicks have been dancing up a storm, Twilight and the pegasus mare escaped the spire, Celestia may be coming any moment, and Mordrue can’t back us up until we reach the Everfree,” he grunted out.

Scratch had to pause as a look of surprise and fear slowly dawned on his face, his beak opened slightly. “Did Mordrue say anything else?” he inquired lightly.

“Yeah, if you two screw this up, you’ll be taking a one way trip to the afterlife, courtesy of Mordrue himself. I don’t suppose he’ll be too forgiving with the rest of us either.” answered Tenner, sarcastically.

Scratch gulped and then turned to look back at Shekel; the other gryphon found himself being held tight in the hooves of the pink pony.

“Ughh we have to talk, important matters, we’ll just be a minute,” Scratch muttered, reaching over to pull Shekel with him. Both gryphons and Tenner immediately slumped off into the crowd.

“We have to find the twins and get them to set that timer for three minutes not five,” stated scratch intently. “Once the cake blows we grab the kid and then pull the rope to drop the rest of the boom poppers.”

“That’s all well and good, but what if Princess Celestia shows up before then?” quaked Tenner in a huff.

“Then we’re dead birds,” answered Shekel in Scratch’s place.

Just then the lights to the hall turned off, two large spotlight’s flashing over the hushed crowd. The pegasus above slowly descended down to take their place beside the other ground-based ponies. Unicorn, earth and Pegasus ponies altogether. A dozen and a half griffons intermingled between them. A wheeling sound echoed across the mass of ponies as a rather large five story cake was rushed on a trolley by several ponies. The Cakes themselves in front leading it past the crowd. Pinkie pie hopping her way to stand beside them, as everyone else made sure to make way for the massive pastry.

“Oh no,” gasped Shekel weakly. “They’re about to start singing happy birthday.”

“Tashar’s rear-end, we’re too late!” hissed Scratch.

“What will we do?” begged Tenner in an equal panic.

All three of them were praying to Tashar so fervently not one of them could ever admit later that they hadn’t held the notion that what happened next was not an answer from their god. Then again Tashar was well known for one thing: being a warrior deity who often answered payers with a double edged sword. Neither Scratch, nor Shekel or Tenner, could ever admit if the following events had been a blessing or a curse.

For at that moment before the crowd could start singing, even as the ticking of a set timer on a griffon stun-grenade echoed in the cool womb of chocolate and icing, a feral scream ripped through the silent hall.

Apple Fritter barreled into the main hall, the assorted ponies moving to make way for the wide-eyed terrified looking golden mare with the green mane. The red bows tying her mane into pigtails and fastened about her tail, shook wildly in correlation with her shaking like a leaf.

“Apple Fritter, what en tar'nation es wrong?” shouted Applejack, both her and Big Mack making their way towards their more then flutered kin. Behind them Two-Bits and his brothers slowly made their way in succession.

“Oh, oh A-A-AppleJack it-it’s t-t-t-errible,” she hollered her eyes filling with tears as they remained wide eyed, the young mare going through some obvious form of shock.

“What’s terrible Sugar Cube?” asked Applejack calmly and attentively, now making her way over and hugging the scared mare to her side gently. Big mack took his place on her other side, both apple siblings giving their kin the support and protection of their warm bodies.

“It’s...It’s Caramel...and Tealove,” sobbed the green maned mare. “They’re, they’re…” she trailed off into a fit of sobs.

“Calmly Fritter girl, tell us, what’s wrong with Caramel and Tealove sugar,” Applejack stated firmly.

“They’re...DEAD!” she shouted out, breaking into even more sobs the tears flowing free down her golden cheeks.

Silence greeted the hall for a few seconds before a massive murmur of surprise and horror wafted up to the rafters. Applejack held a stunned look upon her face, while Big Mack shared her surprise as both ponies stared into the crowd unable to contemplate what they just heard.

“And they weren’t just dead,” continued Apple Fritter. “Something dragged them behind the old dumpster at the back, I only found them because...because I could smell some of that plant they like to smoke back there, it was stuck underneath them. Oh Applejack their faces… Tealove looked so surprised, like she never saw it coming, but Caramel… something nearly tore his head clean off!” she screamed.

A small panic began to build within the hall, the ponies fear and uncertainty overwhelming their usual temperaments. It was the perfect situation for the griffons to make their way through the throng.

“This is perfect,” hissed Tenner. “You and Shekel get ready to grab the little filly, I’ll get the others and prepare them to break for it.”

“If they find out we killed those two ponies, then we won’t get near her,” hissed Shekel back.

“They’ll never figure out it was us,” answered Scratch pulling Shekel with him back towards where they saw Scootaloo and her friends. “Nopony saw us back there.”

“How could this have happened came a dramatic cry from the crowd, Rarity the white purple maned pony slumping herself across one of the terrified party guests, the pegasus in question unable to fathom what to do with the mare draped over his back.

Scratch could see Scootaloo now, she was nestled between the white filly and the yellow one, the three huddled together as the adults around them cried out in panic.

“What are we too do?”

“Are any other ponies missing?”

“What could have done this?”

“Are there more of them?”

The chaos was rather helpful for the gryphons, the ponies themselves were milling about piling closer to the center of the floor. Scratch and Shekel now had a bee-line view of Scootaloo and were moving fast, their pace increasing with the panic around them.

“We should evacuate!”

“Every pegasus for themselves!”

“Earth ponies first fly-boy!”

“Will Someone for the love of Celestia, please think of the children!”

Scratch had the filly in his sights, her every feature burned into his retinas as his talons glinted upon the tiles of the floor, ready to grab her and hold on, just---a bit---farther.

“Hey wait a minute, I saw those gryphons come from the back outside, I was waiting in line to get in and saw them coming from that direction!”

“Oh fu--dge!” screamed Scratch in his mind, almost upon the key, when suddenly every eye and head in the place fastened themselves upon him and Shekel, right there in the open.

Pausing the gryphon turned to look at the sea of stern and growing angry faces, and for a second there Scratch felt that fate could do him a good favor and give him a heart attack right about now. Of course fate never once cared a damn about him and so his wish went unanswered. Standing there, sweating, his heart pumping like a piston in his chest, he finally mounted the courage to respond.

“I--I have no idea what you’re talking about, w-w-we saw n-nothing at all.” he stammered. By now Scootaloo had pushed away from her friends, noticing the proximity of the gryphon for the first time. Her eyes were wide, but she was not yet panicked enough to run.

“Then what in tar-nation were y’all doing behind the hall?” shouted Applejack.

“We were simply doing a security check,” answered Shekel timidly beside Scratch. “We didn’t even know they were smoking Las Pegasus herb out there.”

Scratch had to face-talon so hard he nearly cut his own eye as he realized his friends mistake.

“No one nevah said anythang about what they were smoking!” hollered Applejack, a fierce gleam of anger and pain in her eyes. “What did yah fleabags do tah them!” her cries were complimented with many other angry shouts, especially from the earth ponies who worked closely with the apple family.

Scratch was about to beg for forgiveness and mercy when he realized they had a few minutes before the cake exploded. Eyeing the fillies quickly he saw that grabbing Scootaloo would be impossible, but the other two?

“To Tartarus with this!” he screeched even as he shoved forward seizing Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom about the necks with either set of talons. Lifting them up threateningly as Shekel took position behind him. “Stand back or the little ones’ get their throats crushed,” he growled.

Applejack’s intensity never left her eyes but she did stop in her tracks, Big Mack right behind her, an equal look of anger but fear upon his face. “Steady...steady thar, don’t hurt them!” she begged.

“Keep your distance and they will not be harmed,” returned Scratch. The kicking and struggling fillies in his talons couldn't say much with his grip about their throats. However, their limbs were not as restrained and flailed about wildly. “Hey Two-Bits, keep an eye on the Apples, these brats kick more than a griffon ale hangover” he commented

Both Applejack and Big Mack turned around in surprise to find the hulking griffon brothers right behind them, flexing their muscles.

“Scratch?” came the alarmed cry from the back of the crowd as a very serious looking mayor Mare pushed her way to the front of the crowd.

“Awww great, not you,” mumbled Scratch. "You got a serious problem female!"

“But Scratch how could you? We’ve all worked together these last few days, we’ve been friends.” she stammered, other ponies ringing in their sentiment with that as well.

“Lies, we never were sent by your princess, we only needed you to let us into the town,” hissed Scratch., his eyes staring unblinking at the mayor.

“Why this deception?”

“Why did you come here?”

“Why did you kill Caramel and Tealove?”

Applejack, mayor Mare, and Apple Fritter of all ponies yelling out one question right after the other.

“We only want...Scootaloo,”came Shekel’s rasping voice, making his way to stand now in front of Scratch. “Give her to us and we will not harm anypony else, filly or otherwise, we give our word.”

“You’re word is worthless!” hissed Applejack, staring with hatred at the griffons. “Yah lied to us, tricked us, killed some of us, and now want us to give y’all one of our fillies on your word?” she growled.

“If you don’t, I’ll break one of their necks. Just to show you how committed we are!” growled Scratch in response, a spark of inspiration hitting him. They just needed to stall a few more minutes.

“Applejack please, hear them out...Please!” screamed Rarity dropping to her hooves in front of the touch farm pony. “He’ll kill them.”

“Yes listen to your friend Applejack,” grunted Scratch. “Or perhaps you’d like to choose which one dies first?”

Lifting up one talon he brought Sweetie Belle’s kicking form up above his head, his talons digging into her throat, the little fillies eyes going wide her kicking stopping in fear. As soon as she did he lowered her and brought Apple Bloom up in his other doing the same.

“This one, or this one?” he taunted.

“Wait!” cried Applejack, unable to tear her gaze away from the fear in both fillies eyes. “Please don’t, we’ll back off.”

“Good mare," answered Scratch with pride, he didn’t think he had it in him to actually kill them, but was glad the ponies wouldn't call his bluff...or force his talons.

“Hand over Scootaloo!” demanded Shekel.

“We can’t just hand her over,” cried Rarity, Applejack not saying a word but the look on her face showing she felt the same.

“Then you don't have to!” came the cry from behind the gryphons, everyone turning to find Scootaloo herself standing behind them. “If i surrender myself, you let them go, okay?”

"No Scootaloo don’t!” cried Rarity.

“We'll’ find ah notha way!” hollered Applejack.

Even her fellow crusaders lent muffled squeals of disagreement, kicking their legs widely.

“Deal,” answered Scratch, dropping the two mares to the floor as Shekel cautiously grabbed Scootaloo in his talons, holding the filly tight, even though she offered no struggle.

Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom gave a cough, their throats sore from the gryphon’s grip. They gave Scoots a combination of surprise, appreciation, and regret on their faces, before they slowly backed away from the filly and her hostage takers.

“We have her!” cried Scratch, the collection of griffons in the hall gave a resounding cheer, just as the upper windows smashed open as three burly griffons hurtled through them.

“What the?” cried Scratch as shards of glass rained down around him, using a wing to shield himself from the falling glass.

“Scratch, the Princess is back! She just transported herself and the dragon, we lost them,” came the cry from the lead griffon, a dangerous looking crossbow in his talons.

“What?” answered Scratch again, his voice carrying over the assembled ponies. “That means Celestia is not far behind, get down here with the others!”

As the three griffons flew down to join up with their comrades, the ponies began murmuring to themselves.

“What are y’all gonna do now Scratch?” taunted Applejack. “Twilight’s back and Celestia’s on her way, and you still havn’t made it out of ‘er yet”

“Scratch why didn’t the popper go off yet?” asked Shekel, adding on to the drama.

“I don’t know, Moula! What did you set the timer for?”

“I told you Scratch eight minutes on the dot!”

“I said five minutes not eight moron! We went over it six times.” Scratch grumbled even as Tenner sped over to him, a pocket watch in his talons, pointing to the dials with an alarmed face.

“Oh, well who can listen to you half the time anyway i mean…” started Moula from behind the mass of ponies, before he was cut off.

Because just then, the cake decided to explode. The sound like a loud muffled thump, right before the five story layers of chocolate, icing and pastry exploded outwards. It showered the entire hall in icing and burnt chocolate filling.

Scratch and Shekel were lucky in that the majority of the cake missed them, the ponies however were drenched in cake filling. Scratch took the initiative and leaped towards the newly arrived griffons.

“Give me that crossbow!” he demanded, taking the weapon from the others outstretched talons. As he did so several of the griffons decided to bolt, making their way for the front doors. “No not that way idiots, the plan, remember the plan!” hollered Scratch, to no avail.

Just as they neared the front doors however, the doors themselves shattered into splinters as the fiery mane and blazing eyes of a very pissed off Celestia, stood in the doorway. The griffons halted in step, eyes wide before they turned and flew right back to hide and cower behind Scratch. The lieutenant himself gulping as the quite angry pony ruler stood before him.

A resounding cheer came from the masses of ponies in the hall as Celestia and several armored pony guards strode into the hall, Twilight and Rainbow Dash quickly following them.

“Everyone hold where they are, you griffons, put that filly down...NOW!” demanded Celestia the last order booming from her voice.

Scratch looked like he would comply for a minute before his eyes flashed dangerously. “Not a chance spike-head, this filly belongs to Mordrue, and he expects what is his to be returned to him.”

“Mordrue will never have that filly! You cannot escape, let her go and you will be given a fair hearing and trial, I swear!”

“Not good enough I'm afraid! With you, there’s a chance you’re lying about our fate, with Mordrue, there is no such possibility.”

“You cannot escape from here, so it seems you have no choice, i can take her from you if I need to, i’m giving you a chance to see sense.” stated Celestia, her horn glowing threateningly.

Scratch looked above them towards the rafter looking for the tether rope that held all the confetti boxes up. Finding the rope on the second balcony, just above the third main rafter section, he brought the crossbow up to bear.

“That weapon won’t work on me!” shouted Celestia.

“Not aiming it at you witch!” He answered before taking aim and firing the crossbow. The cross bolt speeding through the air and slicing through the tether rope itself.

In consecutive order, as soon as he had fired the weapon, Scratch yelled for the rest of the griffons to head for the back. As he did so the boxes in the rafters now spilled their contents upon the entire hall, the confetti and streamers raining down upon the ponies. The small circular sound grenades however, started to glow and beep as their proximity spells were activated. Before they hit the ground they exploded across the dance hall, the sound alone deafening, but the light so powerful it blinded every pony, including Celestia. A massive cry of pain rose above the deafening sound of a hundred ear drums popping.

Scratch and Shekel found each other as their group shot out of the back doors like bottle rockets, their wings extending as soon as they reached open air, the gaggle of griffons launching themselves towards the heavens.

“Now head for the Everfree!” shouted Scratch as the flock made their way towards the dark woods. Shekel and scratch now each holding onto Scootaloo who was dazed and alarmed.

“Where are we going?” she shouted over the wind shear as the griffons hurtled at break neck speeds towards the outskirts of the Everfree.

“We're going to Mordrue girl, better prepare yourself,” shot back Shekel. Scootaloo didn't know who that was but she did notice the feeling of a shudder run through the griffons body at the mention of his name.

That definitely wasn't a good sign.