• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 6,847 Views, 353 Comments

Final Fantasy: Zack's second chance - Freelancer



Zack gave his life to save Cloud... he never thought he'd wake up again, let alone on a cloud of all places.

  • ...
25
 353
 6,847

Prologue: To Wish Upon A Star

Prior Note: If you hadn't realized from the tags, I decided to take a different path then most crossovers when it came to Character gets pulled into Equestria and meets ponies. I have nothing against other writers whatsoever, but the idea of character X is brought to Equestria via one of Twilight's spells (and meets / ships with either Celestia, Luna, or the mane 6) is rather common.

Also, if you thumbs down, please tell me why, just so I know where I can improve.



Prologue: To Wish Upon A Star

Spitfire’s ears were once again filled with filly-like giggling from beside her, and, for what she guessed was the hundredth time in the last hour, she groaned and shook her head in utter annoyance.

Sitting on the barstool on her left, though 'teetering' was probably a more accurate description, was a half-drunk Soarin, the stallion being the current, and main, source of her frustration and increasingly bad mood.

The show earlier in the day had gone perfectly, a huge cheering crowd had turned out to watch and cheer them on, and their stunts had been performed without a single hitch; no real complaints in that department. Nope, the real reason she was so wound up was because the team couldn’t go anywhere, not even for a quiet drink at a bar after a performance, without Soarin trying his luck with the local mares.

Mares such as the silver-grey pegasus who was currently sitting on his lap.

Normally Spitfire just dismissed it and let him have his fun, it wasn't her life after all. The problem on this particular night, however, was the fact the captain and vice-captain happened to be stuck sharing a two bed Cloudsdale hotel room, and the thought of trying to get some sleep beside a pair of bucking ponies was a far from inviting one.

She wasn't sure who she was more angry at, Soarin or the hotel manager.

“Ugh… I’ve had enough of this,” the mare snorted mentally at last, downing the last of her fifth cider in a single gulp before stumbling out the door, not even bothering to say goodbye to her other present team mates.


Once outside, she spread her wings, and with mild awkwardness took to the air, her skyward path leading her through the now silent city of Cloudsdale. She used her wings to try and dispel the surprising amount of anger that had built up inside her, courtesy of the last few hours spent at the bar with Soarin and his antics. Flying was, as she had learned over the many years of doing it, like a medicine to her emotions, freeing her of all painful and dark thoughts, and leaving behind only pure and radiant happiness.

Well... most of the time anyway.

Like a burning arrow she shot upwards from the quiet street, aiming her heart and her rapid accent at one of the highest clouds that dotted Princess Luna's night sky she could see, driving her trained body to its limits as it brought forth a surge of joy and adrenaline inside her. Around her the low clouds and white buildings raced by, before she in turn left them and the world below far behind her fiery tail; she would settle for no less than the highest reachable cloud, and that was final.

Her lungs could feel the air getting thinner as she headed skyward, but the subtle ache neither bothered nor hampered her in any way. As a Wonderbolt she'd flown in every condition a pony would dare to, everything from storms to blizzards. A little thin air wasn’t going to bother her tonight.

By the time she at last came to rest at her destination her body was covered in sweat, bringing with it the return of a small amount of metal clarify; definitely not sober, but a hay of a lot better then what she'd been. Hence, in a sort of joyful exhaustion, she collapsed backward onto her cloud, sparkling eyes wandering over the dark expanse of Luna’s night sky that sat before her.

Slowly, as the last few pieces of anger and frustration departed, she brought her front hooves behind her head and closed her eyes, her head buzzing happily due to the combination of her physcial effort, and her earlier drinking session.

“I guess sleeping up here wouldn’t be so bad,” she chuckled lightly to herself, slowing her breathing rate as she readied herself for sleep. “At least I won’t need to put up with Soarin and his piece of flank.”

It seemed though that Princess Luna had one more surprise in store for this particular night; just before she began to slip away and was drawn into the realm of dreams, a blinding light filled the vision beneath her eyelids.

Spitfire's already heavy eyes grudgingly creaked open once again, and a groan escaped her muzzle at it's interruption to her attempt at finding sleep... although her jaw dropped a heartbeat later.

Racing across the blackness of the night sky was a shooting star, the ball of fire burning white hot and leaving a trail that went on for miles. It felt so close that Spitfire actually swore if she raised her hoof skyward, she would probably be able to feel its white-hot fire on her skin.

In her mind's eyes, the sight was something of truly magical splendour, and for once it was all hers, and hers alone to enjoy; she did after all have the best seat in Equestria to watch it.

It did, however, in turn cause a momentary sting of pain as the thought trailed off; the fact she was enjoying such a beautiful sight alone subtly weighed down on her, almost like a block of training lead tied to her wings... it wasn't like she suddenly wanted Soarin to be lying there beside her or anything, drunk or not she put up with him enough in day-to-day terms... but some matter of company would've been nice. Fleet or Blaze seemed more likely candidates, but Fleet never stopped talking and Blaze probably would've found it boring.

Still, she knew she didn't have much say in the matter.

Life as Wonderbolt, as the mare had come to realize over the years, came with a combination of both ups and downs; one of said downs happened to be a packed travel agenda, and hence virtually no time to stop and make friends outside her team as they, quite literally, raced around Equestria and beyond.

Hastily, Spitfire shook the moronic thoughts from her head. She wasn’t going to let such a foalish worry ruin the spectacular sight before her.

As it came closer still, her smile only widened as a somewhat amusing and cheeky thought came to mind; Spitfire wasn't somepony who believed in silly old mares’ tales, she was a full grown mare herself now and long past such foalish beliefs... but deciding to do it just for a drunken laugh, she closed her eyes, and made a slightly intoxicated wish as the star passed over her.

“I wish… I had somepony to lie here with me… and perhaps keep Soarin's flank in line for once.”

Before she could go over her choice of words, or even think about anything again for that matter, another wave of brilliant light filled her vision, this one so intense it actually stung her eyes despite them being closed behind their lids.

At last the immense light faded away in oblivion, and the sky was replaced once again by the peaceful darkness of Princess Luna's night, just as before; in a show of somewhat foal-like amusement, Spitfire abruptly burst into fits of laughter, forgetting the world around her, and simply allowing herself to relax and enjoy the peaceful and somewhat blurred moment, alone and without a care in Equestria for a minute or two.

As she happily she lowered her head sideways onto her makeshift pillow, however, she swore her heart skipped a beat or two; her eyes just about grew to the size of the overarching moon as she, finally, realized she was no longer alone on her little cloud.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Zack’s head, if he had to give a way to describe the feeling, felt like someone had driven a hot sword into it; the pain at the front of his skull was truly just about too unbearable for mere words to describe. Other than the immense ache he wasn’t really aware of anything, except perhaps the prescence of his own mind, and his dull state of alive consciousness, and those he could only barely feel even with strenuous effort.

For a moment he did nothing other than look over his mind, and scrutinize it for what he remembered clearly; he remembered the fight with the Shinra soldiers, killing them all to protect Cloud, feeling weak and buckling over because of his wounds, at last saying goodbye to his blond haired friend, and then finally handing him his sword as he blacked out. They were vague and blurry snippets at best, but they were there and real none the less.

The next and final memory he had was a huge momentary flash of white light, right before his vision had once again returned to black. That, he guessed, was where he was stuck now, possibly floating somewhere the vastness of the Lifestream.

"This is getting old, really quickly."

Tired of seeing only darkness and feeling nothing, Zack grit his teeth and set about re-engaging with the rest of his body, first sending out lines of thought to each of his limbs. The first to respond were his legs; they, like his head, ached with an intense agony, but somehow still managed to move at his request. Next he felt his arms and flexed them a little to get his blood flowing once more. Again though, they hurt a lot, but still reacted to his impulses none the less.

Finally, he pulled the rest of his mind and body together, and at last his senses seemed to have returned; if he wasn't deceived, then he could feel he was apparently lying on something soft, and perhaps also slightly cold, to be more accurate; the sound of howling wind was in his ears, and something hard was sticking into his back.

Then, at long last, he pulled his blue eyes open and gazed up at the world that awaited him.

Covering the world above him was a cloudless star studded night sky, the millions of stars shining like diamonds inset in a layer of obsidian. For a long moment, Zack could nothing other than stare dumbfounded at the sight, his SOLDIER mind trying to process the fact what what he was seeing was real.

that process though abruptly ended when he felt something soft brush against his leg. A second later he shot up with a start, ready for a fight if need be... the golden coated creature that awaited him, however, only made his eyes widen even further.

His shimmering blue eyes took another moment to register, yet again, just what he was looking at; the creature was golden coated, with a set of similarly bright wings, and had what he guessed was the equivalent of hair that looked somewhat like tongues of dancing flames.

"Well... this is different."

On appearance alone, he couldn't confidently say if it was dangerous or not, but, given the situation, his training was telling him to be wary of it's appearance.

That was, realistically, the best available option given the pure weirdness of the situation. And after all, most of the none-human creatures he had ever encountered had tried to kill him, or worse.

“What…exactly are you?”

“I…” Zack started slowly, only to realize halfway through the next word that the creature had just spoken. “Wait… you can… talk?” he asked tentatively.

“No, I can’t talk, you’re just imagining things,” was the slightly mocking reply to his confusion.

The creature, for its part, gave him a look of what seemed like amused sarcasm, and Zack couldn’t help but blink slightly back in return at it's snark; the tone in the creature’s somewhat slurred voice suggested it was female, and, judging by its sleek and streamlined body proportions, he wasn’t wrong on that assumption.

Before replying to her question he took a quick look around, and realized the two of them were sitting on a cloud, the last place he expected to end up after apparently dying.

Still, it probably could've been worse.

“I’m... a SOLDIER,” was his firm by casual reply at last, leaning up a little so he was more comfortable on their shared seat. He still wasn't sure if this was all a figment of his imagination, or perhaps what the Lifestream actually looked like. “A human-jenova hybrid, and lastly, you can call me Zack… so who... and what the hell are you exactly? And... where the hell am I?”

“I’m a pegasus, and you can call me Spitfire, Mr. SOLDIER, and you're in Equestria… and I have no idea what a human or a jenova is,” she laughed in reply, the golden mare suddenly collapsing into a new fit of immense giggling, while Zack just sat there, utterly confused at the situation. "Hehe, you look really funny right now!"

"Um, yeah. Equestria... is that anywhere near Shinra?"

"Pfft, what's a Shinra?"

Zack lifted a curious eyebrow at the hysterical pegasus. Normally when two very different creatures met, one would usually attack, or run away as fast as possible, and the fact Spitfire was rather chilled about the entire ordeal was a little unnerving to the veteran SOLDIER.

It was then though he smelt something on her breath that made everything a little clearer. The unmistakable scent of alcohol.

“Let me guess… you’ve been drinking?”

“Duh,” she replied with a giggled smirk, pulling her front hooves up to her chest in an effort to control herself. “What? You hating on me already? Don’t you SOLDIER guys drink?”

Zack sighed and rubbed his temples. He had known Spitfire for all of five minutes, and she was already giving him a headache on top of his current one.

Her eyes then suddenly darted up to his shoulder. “By the way what’s that big metal thing you’ve got across your back?” She asked before he could say anything, sitting up with her tail flicking, and an obnoxiously wide smile on her face.

For the first time since waking up, Zack looked back at what had been sticking into his back earlier, and to his utter shock realized not only was he still in his armor, but was somehow also still in possession of Angeal’s huge Buster Sword.

Now, that didn’t make any sense whatsoever, considering he had given it to Cloud before he had…died?

“Now this is just getting plain damn weird,” he remarked dryly as he reached up and felt the handle, his words prompting the already intoxicated and hysterical pegasus mare to go into another fit of laughter. “Seriously, what is so funny?”

“Zack, buddy, you’re just plain weird to me… but hay, you seem alright…”

“Well, can you at least stop laughing and tell me why I’m sitting on a cloud of all places, beside a drunken… pegasus… in a world that's apparently completely different from my own?”

“Oh sure, I can explain that,” she giggled as she clapped her front hooves together excitedly. “I brought you here when I wished upon that shooting star for someone to lie with me.”

“…What?”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Notes:

This was an idea I had and needed to get down before I forgot… and no, I wasn't smoking anything.