• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 955 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 955

13. Perfidious Pony

The plan was simple. Trixie would find a way to distract Pit Boss and his bodyguard, Meat Shield, while Spike got hold of the contract and sent it to Princess Celestia. Hopefully the contract would be enough to get the princess to intervene on Trixie's behalf, saving Trixie and letting her keep the money she had made working for the Pony Carlo. Spike had considered sending the contract to Twilight, but decided that Celestia would have more experience with this sort of thing, considering she had to deal with nobles on a daily basis.

Winona had been left in Trixie's dressing room. Trixie had been too afraid that Winona would cause suspicion.

"Sorry, girl. Trixie's got a point." Spike scratched the collie behind the ear. "Heh. Never thought I'd say that. Twilight'll laugh her tail off when I tell her that."

"Trixie can still hear you, Spike." The mare shot Spike a flat expression.

"Sorry." Spike stifled a laugh and put on a serious face. "Let's do this."

~~~

"Trixie would like to apologize for her behavior earlier." Trixie stood in Pit Boss' office, speaking to him about her 'outburst' form earlier. "It was wrong of me to try and get out of the contract."

Spike was amazed that Trixie wasn't choking on the words. She really was a good showpony. He was currently hiding under a bench in the hallway, waiting for the opportunity to slip past Meat Shield and grab the contract. Trixie had said that most contracts were kept in the top drawer of Pit Boss' desk, so Spike would quote: "Have to channel Twilight's pink friend's ability to teleport." Spike could only assume Trixie meant Pinkie Pie.

"Well, I have to say I'm surprised that you've had a change of heart." Pit Boss responded. "Of course, for your outburst earlier I'll have to dock your pay from the next show. I'll have to take, say, forty percent?"

"You can't! I'm barely making enough to get by as it is!" Trixie cried out.

"Oh, sorry. I think I misheard you. You want me to take forty-five percent?" Pit Boss replied coolly. Spike was wondering if this guy was a pony or just a snake.

"I-" Trixie bowed her head in defeat. "No. I'm... sorry."

Meat Shield looked over from his position by the door and chuckled. Spike took the opportunity to slip past the hulk of a pony and hide behind a potted plant. Score one for BatSpike. The dragon thought as he congratulated himself. He quickly slipped to another potted plant to distance himself from the door.

"That's what I thought. Now, is there anything else you needed?" The slimeball of a casino asked. "If not, I'm a very busy pony."

"I-" Trixie's eyes shot to Spike for a fraction of a second. A fraction too long. Pit Boss followed the mare's gaze, easily spotting the purple dragon amidst the red decor and green plant he hid behind.

"Meat Shield, you idiot! You let somepony slip past!" Meat Shield ran into the room, pausing inside the doorway. Pit Boss pointed a hoof at Spike. "Get him!"

"Run Spike!" Trixie's horn glowed brightly, and the room was filled with pyrotechnic magic. Bursts of colorful light flashed everywhere, half-blinding everypony who wasn't Trixie (who had long ago become accustomed to the bright spells). "Get out of here!"

Spike darted forward to the desk, rather than listen to Trixie's words. He threw open the top drawer of the desk and breathed a bright gout of green flame into the drawer without finding the particular contract he needed.

The dragon's world was filled with bright lights as something slammed into his head with the sound of breaking glass. At roughly the same moment, Trixie let out a cry of pain of her own.

"You really thought you could get away with such a boneheaded plot?" Pit Boss dropped the remnants of a shattered vase from his mouth. A lock of his coiffed mane had slipped free, hanging in front of his eyes. All in all, it lent to the mad expression on his face. "You thought you could best me? ME!" The stallion sneered down at Spike. "Meat Shield, tie these fools up until I can decide what to do with them."

Pit Boss walked over to a groggy Trixie and pulled a rolled up paper from his coat. "Looking for this? I knew you'd try something stupid." He waved the contract tauntingly in front of the mare. "Too bad. Even if you destroyed this contract, that wouldn't release you. I have copies. You'll work for me forever." The stallion laughed maniacally as Spike felt himself get hoisted into a chair and roughly bound.

Author's Note:

Current Location: In trouble!