• Published 29th Feb 2016
  • 7,015 Views, 359 Comments

Tooth-hurty - Justice3442



Sonata has a tooth ache. Adagio and Aria don't want to deal with it. Sunset Shimmer gets involved. Applejack is there. It's gonna be one of those days.

  • ...
21
 359
 7,015

Chapter 6: And Giving, And Giving

Sonata glanced up at the reverberating ceiling as she was held in the tight embrace of the dentist hug chair. Chairy was the chair that kept on giving, and the thing he was giving was hugs! Full body leather strap-y hugs, the kind that Adagio liked to give! Everything was sooooo shiny and sparkly as colors danced over the walls, windows, and everything! There were new, fun colors too! The likes of which Sonata had never seen before, like bleen and glurple! Taking in the infinite majesty of the colorful melty room, she smiled as her head bobbed back and forth and—

Oh my gosh! Was that kitten flying as it vibrated under the ‘BELIEVE!’ that was suspended in mid-air and speaking in the voice of that guy who watches penguins all the time?! Could this day get any better?! “Hello kitty!” Sonata greeted cheerfully.

“Yo, dawg!”

Sonata smiled widely. “Penny for your thoughts?”

The kitten gave her a pained expression like it had just suffered at the hands of life throwing lemons at it with reckless abandon! Even too fast to squeeze the sour juices out of them with a baseball bat and dump several pounds of sugar over the lemon blood. Ohhhh… Sonata wanted to hug the little, flying, vibrating kitty soooo much, but it was Chairy’s job to hug her! And it was doing such a good job!

“I hate Brenda!” The kitten answered. “And uh, a bad guy hit me in the shin and I peed all over my pants!”

Well that was just weird! Just who or what was a Brenda?! Sonata grinned widely. “Ha, ha, ha! It’s nothin’ a little music can’t help!” Sonata said as a smattering of percussion, hand-claps, and instruments helpfully started up.

Sonata began to bob her head back and forth to the beat of the music as she began singing.

“Rockin', rockin' and rollin'!
Down to the beach I'm strollin'
But the seagulls poke at my head, not fun!
I said, seagulls, hmm! Stop it now

Hoo ha, hmm hmm hmm ha!
Hmm hoo ha, hmm hmm hmm hmm ha!
Hoo ha, hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm HA!”

Sonata turned to see if her song had made the little kitty feel better but she caught something out of the corner of her eye. Sinister-sounding brass and string instruments suddenly sounded out as the thing circled her and came closer… and closer! It was… was… light blue and holding… oh… oh noooo! It was one of those bristly torture devices covered in the goo that tastes like gum, but unfun gum! Sonata turned away and tried to flee as the instruments got louder, but Chairy wouldn’t have it! He was just hugging Sonata too tightly!

“No, Chairy! You have to let me go! Corpses suck at hugging back! AHHHHHHHH—

Sonata’s scream was cut off as the evil 'brushy brushy' was plunged into her mouth, stabbing at it repeatedly as it savagely attacked her teeth and spread its evil minty foam all over everything!

“BLRRRRGHGAAAARGHGHRRR!”

DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE!” Sonata’s malicious and remorseless (and perhaps soulless?!) torturer called out as she thrust downward repeatedly with her tool of pain.

Betrayal! Betrayal of the highest order! She DID lure Sonata in a false sense of security so she could attack when she least expected it! It was like Sweden all over again!

“DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE—”

-ooo-

“—DIE GERMS, DIE!”

Sunset Shimmer watched with no small degree of concern as Dr. Colgate stood over Sonata and practically stabbed at her teeth with a toothbrush. The Dentist showed no mercy towards what Sunset could only assume were her most hated enemies, the germs and bacteria that lived inside mouths.

Dr. Colgate had clearly been pushed to her limits in the relatively short period of time she had been alone with Sonata. Who could blame her? Sonata had literally stabbed her in the neck with a dental tool as well as a heap of who knows how much mental trauma on top of that? Instead of run terrified from the girl, no doubt as so many had done before, the Dentist had stood her ground and fought back with all her strength.

Sunset couldn’t help but feel a bit impressed, even if the strength was now manifesting as a mad flurry of brush strokes against teeth.

“DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE—”

Sonata let out a sad, gurgling noise.

Colgate pulled out the toothbrush she was holding and flung it behind her, it landed perfectly in the stainless steel sink in the corner of the room. She produced a red, plastic bowl from her white coat that she held in front of her face. “—And spit.”

Sonata sprayed a perfect arc of foamy mouth contents across the room that hit Sunset Shimmer with a ‘splat!’

Colgate rolled her eyes as she flung the unused red bowl in her hand over her shoulder. It hit the ground and bounced a few times before rolling to a stop.

EW!” Sunset cried as she whipped the mixture of saliva and toothpaste off her face. “Seriously Sonata! Sour cream, salsa, guacamole and now saliva mixed with toothpaste?! Do you have any more fluids you’re going to share with me?!”

Sonata’s head flopped over to look at Sunset. “Are you coming on to me, magic talking hotdog?”

Uuuuuggggghhhhh…” Sunset moaned out. “This is just the weirdest day!”

Sonata grinned and raised her eyebrows up and down. “That wasn’t a ‘no’!”

“Here.” Colgate reached into her coat and pulled out a dental bib. “Use this.”

“Thanks,” Sunset said as she took it and began wiping her face off. Sunset lowered the bib and gave Colgate a concerned look. “Are you alright? I mean… I understand that spending time with Sonata can have quite the adverse effect on someone’s psyche, but that was the most intense teeth brushing I’ve ever seen.”

Colgate chuckled. “Sorry, but Sonata’s mouth is filthy.” Colgate pulled a face as if she had just tasted something foul. “I mean really filthy. I have a really sensitive tongue and I could tell Sonata’s mouth was a colony of just the worst bacteria ever.”

Sunset’s forehead tightened. “Okay, but… Why was your tongue…” Sunset pursed her lips slightly. “On second thought, never mind, I don’t want to know.”

Colgate continued, “Brushing her teeth was therapeutic… like… like watching a recording of a bunch of mouthwash commercials back to back.”

Uh…”

Colgate smiled. “You know… Like that feeling you get when they do the bits where the mouthwash hits the germs and they all dissolve? Kinda like that.”

“… Suuuuuurrrre....?”

“The important thing is we’re making progress! Hopefully I can get back in there soon, and—”

Colgate was cut off as a spray of foamy spit suddenly shot out across the room and hit her in the side of the face.

Rrrrrarrrrr!” Sonata exclaimed from the dentist chair. “I’m a dilophosaurus! Rrrrrraaaarrrr!

Colgate didn’t say anything. She stood motionless save for the single twitch of her right eye.

Uh… Dr. Colgate?” Sunset asked in concern. “Do you need to take a break? Maybe wash your face?”

Colgate’s head suddenly tilted as a mad smile popped onto her face in an instant. With her right hand, she reached into her coat and pulled out three toothbrushes, each one held at the end between two of her clenched fingers as if she had suddenly grown a colorful claw tipped with bristles. With her left hand, she reached into her coat again, producing a tube of toothpaste she used to rapidly coat the ends of each brush with.

Colgate turned and practically dove at Sonata who responded with more growling and spitting.

“RRrrrwaaaarrrr! RRRRWWWWARRRR! BLRARRGHGHGHBLURRRGHGHG…!”

With the countenance of a madwoman performing an enjoyable, if unsavory deed, Colgate expertly manipulated her fingers so she was brushing three parts of Sonata’s mouth simultaneously, all while she began chanting, “I’m gonna have me some fun! I’m gonna have me some fun! I’m gonna have me some fun!”

Sunset swallowed as she watched the oddly intense, and perhaps just slightly violent, scene of dental hygiene unfold, wondering if the rest of her party was holding up any better.

-ooo-

Flanked on either side by Aria and Flash, Adagio sat in one of the airline chairs with her face pointed down at her thighs and her shoulders slumped as if her heavy expression was pulling her entire body downwards. Her face silently spoke at length of having just been dealt a serious emotional blow that had left Adagio reeling, even questioning her entire world. Seemingly sensing the gravitas of the woman’s breakdown, Aria and Flash each held onto one of Adagio’s hands as they stared at her with worry.

Adagio shook her head from side to side, causing her massive pile of orange curls to bounce lightly in all directions from the movement. “Just… just how could this happen?!”

Standing in front of her, Applejack offered an explanation. “Uh… my friends and I blasted you with the power of friendship so now ya get to enjoy normal life like the rest of us?”

Adagio looked up to shoot Applejack a glare. “First of all, please don’t spin that like you were trying to do us all a favor! And that’s not even what I was talking about!”

“Well, what then?” Applejack asked.

“You know… the part where I just casually slipped into watching TV and getting it on with everyone as a replacement for the feeling of people’s energy coursing through me and just… just… abandoning everything I was for my entire existence!” Adagio said as she flung out her arms, then collapsed back down into a sulk.

Aria lowered her eyelids slightly as she leaned her head down to catch Adagio’s eye. “Well, it’s not like you didn’t do those things already, now you just have more time to do it.”

Adagio turned to level a vexed look at Aria. “Not my point!” she hissed out. “Look… Don’t you miss draining people of their energy?”

Uhhh… I guess? Sorta? Not really?” Aria said. She shook her head. “I mean… It’s not like it ever worked here like it did back in Equestria.” Aria glanced upwards as she dwelled on this more. “Here it was more like slowly starting to starve and the only place you could go to get food was this restaurant with tiny portions and huge wait times… Sorta like...” Aria looked around. “Anyone wanna throw me a punchline there? Like a restaurant you’re mad at? Flash? Snackerflap? No? Dude in the grey beanie? No?” Aria rolled her eyes. “Alright then.”

Adagio tightened her brow and scrunched her lips to one side as she stared at Aria. She elected to go back to staring at her thighs. She shook her head. “Just… just so much of us was tied up on feeding on people… Being creatures that fed on people like they were cattle!”

Aria shrugged. “Guess it did have a kinda cool vampire vibe to it.” She put on an expression smothered in aggravation. “But what a hassle! Now instead of that one stupid restaurant we can go to eat anyplace we want. Like literally because we’re normal and we can just go get food!”

Flash leaned down past Adagio to look at Aria. “You’re hungry, aren’t you?”

Aria nodded. “Yeah. A little bit. How could you tell?”

“Never mind that!” Adagio snapped. “We were sirens! Ancient beings of hunger and power! It was who we were! Causing strife and devouring the resulting energy is what we did! And now it’s gone… and… and… I think we’re better off!” Adagio puffed out her lower lip. “What do we do now?”

Flash nodded wordlessly and rubbed Adagio’s hand.

Uhhh… I think we’re doing it,” Aria replied. “Me watching action flicks and playing video games. You having your hot and heavy fun times. Sonata… being Sonata… I mean… I think we have this figured out.” Aria thought for a moment. “And we really never stopped causing strife if that’s what’s buggin’ you.”

Applejack shook her head and smiled at Adagio. “Hey, look at it this way! You can start all over like Sunset did! Make some friends! Start helping people out, you know… Really turn yourself around!”

Adagio looked up at Applejack with a glare. “What’s wrong with what I’m doing now?!”

“Yeah, Chapplejack!” Aria chimed in. “She has a good thing going! Why’s she gotta go all goody-goody?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Yer askin’ what’s wrong with her sitting around watching TV, staying up until the sun comes out, and running around layin’ down with anyone who will give her the time of day?”

“Well, yeah!” Aria said in an indignant tone. “I mean… she’s happy doing all that stuff!”

Adagio nodded. “I really am.”

“Why’s she gotta conform to your stupid friendship garbage?!” Aria demanded.

Uh… It sorta helps people contribute as members of society?” Applejack suggested.

“Hey, I contribute!” Adagio said. “I make people feel good… or bad… You know… depending on what they want. And I mean, I’m making money doing that!”

Applejack’s eyebrows went haywire as she tried to raise one, then the other, then lower the first, all while her head tightened and relaxed. “Well that’s uhErm… I mean you probably shouldn’t…”

“Not money doing that!” Adagio indignantly.

Applejack let out a sigh of relief.

“I mean… anymore…”

Applejack cringed.

“… For the most part,” Adagio added.

Applejack sighed, lowering her head as her shoulders slumped forward. “Doncha think it’d be better to pick up a way to make money that’s less likely to getcha arrested?”

Adagio sneered. “Pretty sure someone mentioned I can be very convincing when dealing with the police.”

“What does that even mean?!” Applejack huffed out.

“Dude, get off her back!” Aria exclaimed. “She’s an adult!” Aria glanced to her side for a second. “Sorta…” She leveled an angry look at Applejack. “She doesn’t need to be part of your system!”

“Hey! Ah’m just trying to help!”

“Hey, Applejack?” Flash interjected. “Maybe you oughta sit this one out.”

“What?!” Applejack snapped. “Don’t tell me you’re taking their side!”

“I’m not taking sides!” Flash insisted. “But Adagio’s entire world was just rocked. Maybe give her some time to think things through before you discuss her lifestyle.”

“Yeah, Crackersnack!” Adagio said.

“Yeah, Snapplecrack!” Aria added.

Applejack sighed and massaged her forehead. “Seriously? Both of you? Different names and right after Flash said my name about ten seconds ago?” She shook her head. “Look, Ah’m just having trouble feeling sorry for someone who mind-controlled the entire school as part of some world domination scheme!”

Adagio rolled her eyes. “Oh, like Sunset Shimmer?”

“She has a point,” Flash said. “We did forgive Sunset.”

Applejack’s eyes widened. “Yeah, but… but…”

“But what?!” Aria snapped. “What you described is just exactly how things went down with Sunny!”

Applejack let out a defeated sigh. “Alright, fine…” She walked past the dental receptionist who wordlessly watched Applejack pass into the hallway. “I’m just going to check to see how things are going with Sonata…” Applejack stopped in front of a door, opened it, and was immediately blasted by foamy water.

Rrrrrwaaaarr! Rrrrrwaaaaarrr!” Sonata exclaimed from inside the room. “Take that, fat mailman from that show with the guy who always complains about airline food! Rrrrrwaaaarrggraaaabbble!

Yes, yes!” Colgate cried ecstatically from inside the room. “Open your mouth wider! WIDER! HAHAHA! DIE! DIE!”

“Run Applejack!” Sunset cried from inside the room. “Save yourself!”

Applejack quickly closed the door and continued walking down the hallway. “I’m going to find the bathroom and wash off whatever is now all over my face.”

Flash turned back towards Adagio. “Are you going to be okay?” he asked.

Adagio sighed heavily. “Yeah, I guess so… Just… just the worst part is I think I owe Sunset Shimmer a ‘thank you’ or at least an apology.”

“Oh GOD!” Sunset cried from inside the dentist room. “HOW MUCH SPIT CAN ONE PERSON HAVE?!”

Adagio winced. “Definitely an apology.”

Author's Note:

With props to this bad lip reading of the Empire Strikes Back for part of the beginning of this chapter and a joke last chapter.