• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 3,613 Views, 1,780 Comments

Lifegiver - Meep the Changeling



Azur Lily, a young biomancy prodigy from Germaney, seeks to start a new life in Equestria.

  • ...
8
 1,780
 3,613

18 Normal, Weird, Horror

Lily - 18th of Midsummer ‘15 EoH - Afternoon

By ‘Weekend project’, Sky apparently meant ‘a week’. Not that I was complaining, I was getting far more than I asked for. However I had been hoping for even, lets just say, the sequencer far sooner. As it was, over the last week I had been working on a general use strength enhancement.

It’s rather hard to create a general use spell for Biomancy. It’s not the magic’s fault, but rather the extreme variations in individuals physiologies which make such things hard. For the most part, each spell has to be custom tailored to the person it will be used on. Which is why the simple twenty percent increase to raw strength my spell had in tests imparted to the test mice was more than satisfying to me.

If I could also work out a better endurance booster to go with it, I could probably instruct a few mages in the relatively simple spells in time to upgrade a few companies. But unfortunately there were problems. Two to be specific.

First, volunteers were not exactly chomping at the bit. I understood why, after all my magic was not exactly familiar to most ponies out there. Aside from Scootaloo, who doesn't count because I had helped her once before, I had only one volunteer. Sargent Night Watch.

He had decided to, and I quote, ‘show those cowards there’s nothing to fear from someone the Princess trusts to do a job.’ I was very grateful for his convictions and faith in his leader. So grateful I decided not to tell him that the spell might not work properly on ponies yet as I could only say for sure it worked on mice. So simply said I’d need to have him stay at the clinic for a few days in case of ‘complications’.

The second problem was Sky.

He wasn’t intentionally creating a problem, in fact he was still fixing my ‘no equipment problem. He just had not told me that he would be dropping by with a dozen of so changelings to install everything. Nor did he tell me that while working out his plans he had also included renovations to install things inside walls. And ceilings… And floors…

Which meant that at the moment, the entire building sounded like a construction site. Constant power tool shrieks, spells humming, and hammers pounding. That was my day today.

And I also had to take care of Night Watch today, because the only possible time he could spend three days off began today. He had to train some new recruits starting next week, so even if he wanted to ask for medical leave after today, it would be ‘morally irresponsible until they have finished basic.’

Soldiers… What is it about them and making very convincing arguments? Is ‘how to argue’ a part of modern military training? Because it seemed to be big a part of it.

“You don’t get it, kid.” Night said, leaning against one of the few walls which wasn’t currently being worked on. “Getting data on how much I can lift right now is pointless.”

“Nein!” I objected. “We need strong data based evidence to convince others that this-”

“No, we don’t,” Night sighed. “Maybe in Germaney ponies focus more on the numbers, but here? No, they need a good story. Besides, I’m not here for the strength, I can benchpress six tons. You won't help me much.”

I felt my face twist into a confused knot. “Then why the buck did you even-”

“Because I don’t show off my strength in full,” Night said in a calculating tone. “You zap me with your magic, get to see if it’s okay to use, fix the problems if it’s not, and then I go back to the barracks, crush some steel bars, and claim that’s all your doing. Then a ton of volunteers want your upgrade and your assignment is complete.”

“Oh, well that makes sense,” I mused brushing a hoof over my chin in thought. “But why do that for me? Just to show your peers up?”

He shook his head slowly. “No, because then you owe me a favor, right?”

Ah… Here we go.

I nodded slowly. “Ja, I suppose. What is it?”

“My son’s transgender,” Night mentioned. “He’s got a collar enchanted to make him look male, but his birthday is coming up and I heard through the grapevine that you could actually make his brain and body match. Seem fair?”

I started at Night for a few short moments, doing my best to give him that ‘thousand mile stare’ of a medical professional being coerced into doing something they would do anyways.

“Um… That’s a medically necessary procedure. I’d do it anyways,” I informed slowly.

“Yeah, sure… But would you let him detail everything he might like, or just swap bits around?” Night asked.

“Ah… So cosmetic changes und also a sex change. Okay, that’s a bit different. We have a deal,” I said holding my hoof out to shake and close the deal.

Night nodded and grabbed my hoof, shaking it, and also sending a shooting pain through my entire leg!

“Ah!” I yelped.

Night laughed and let go. “Sorry! I told you I didn’t need more strength. So, what do we do?”

There was no reason to hold hard feelings over a too-hard hoofshake. Even if I did feel a little urge to get even.

Shaking my hoof to get the throbbing pain out, I gave him a smile. “Just hold still. This one is easy.”

I reached for my magic, applying the simple spell in what Night Watch probably assumed was a Telekinetic boop. Aura flash on, aura flash off.

Night blinked, frowning slightly. “Did you flub it?” He asked curiously.

“No. It’s easy magic. I simply instructed your muscles to develop as if you had worked out for several years, und gave them the energy to change,” I explained.

“That fast?” He asked skeptically.

“Yes. I didn’t have to add anything to your body. The trick was working out how to apply the energy. Over the next few hours you should see a slight increase in muscle mass, und your existing muscles will be considerably strengthened.” I elaborated as I wrote down the time for science’s sake.

“Ah, so it’s sort of like combat charms,” Night mused. “Takes a while to kick in.”

“Ja. It’s much simpler to accelerate a natural process, und I want to teach others the spell.” I said raising my voice to be heard over the sound of a circular saw. “I made sure Sky doesn't mess with the room furthest down on the south side. Do you need me to show you where it is?”

Night shook his head, black mane rippling enough to make me wonder if he used mane gel to get it to flow like that. “No need, I instinctively map places I go to. You don’t get to be an old soldier without learning to keep a good head map.”

I nodded. “Okay, but at least let me walk you to the lobby. To make sure there are no immediate problems. I’ll check on you every few hours.”

Night nodded and fished his messenger gem out from his saddlebags. “You got one of these, kid?” He asked.

I shook my head no, and before I could talk he pulled a second one from his bag and tossed it to me. As I reflexively caught the small emerald sphere with my magic Night gently tapped his own gem to the one he had tossed to me and commanded, “Attune: Azur Lily.”

The two gems glowed dimly, and Night gestured for me to do something-

“Oh!” I exclaimed, realizing I had to repeat the command but for him. “Attune: Night Watch.”

The green gem’s glow intensified for a moment before vanishing, the magic having done it’s work.

“There you are, keep it. They run ten bits or so. It’s no loss to me and I keep a few extras on me to give to recruits anyways,” Night said giving me a smile. “Call anytime you get nervous and if a real problem occurs, I’ll call you.”

“Danke,” I thanked, opening the temporary office room’s door to walk Night to the lobby and instantly unleashing a deafening cacophony of noise.

Night flinched. “The hay is he setting up for you?” He asked as we walked down the hall.

“I have no idea. I asked for a list of biomantic equipment, und he comes back with it und also a ton of supplies und a work crew…” I muttered irritably.

“Sterilinade out!” A changeling’s voice shouted!

“Oh sweet Luna no!” Another’s voice screeched from off in the distance, just before a dull boom that sounded as if someone dropped the world’s largest saucepan, as it rang out through the hall.

Night and I glanced at eachother and sprinted towards the doors at the end of the hall, ready to check and see what part of the building had just collapsed!

“Bucking hell, Iriek!” Sky groan-shouted. “I told everyone not to use any sterilinades!”

“Why is atomically clean so itchy!?” Someone lamented.

“Because now all of us are lacking our outermost layer of skin!” Sky growled.

Night and I shared another glance. A glance of, ‘you know on second thought, how about no.’

Pushing the lobby door’s open, I let Night walk ahead of me, noting he went right for the staircase to get to his room. He did know where it was. Good.

A split second later I saw the door on the far side of the lobby open, Sky and six green shelled changelings tumbling out as if being poured from a container. A container filled to the brim with way too much lemony freshness!

Gagging on the super clean smell I called. “Was zum Teufel did you do to my dining room?”

“Can’t talk now!” Sky shouted, running up the stairs, workers hot on his hooves. “Must roll in dust. Too clean!”

I had just enough time to facehoof, groan, and decide to trot over to see what they had even done when the front door opened, the little bell Scoot’s friend Applebloom had made for my clinic jingling as the door struck it.

Turning to see who had entered, I blinked in surprise. I had expected one of the changelings working outside to come in due to the noise. I hadn’t expected Trixie to be back.

“Hallo, Miss Lulomoon. Is something wrong? Did a spell fail?” I asked walking over to her urgently, fearing the worst.

“Trixie’s last name is pronounced, ‘Lulamoon’,” Trixie corrected, straightening a pointed floppy peaked hat which matched her cape’s starry pattern as she closed the door behind her. “And Trixie is quite fine. In fact-”

Trixie reached under her cape and with a dramatic flourish produced a large canvas bag. Which she held up on the flat of her hoof as if reaching for a high cabinet, only for the bag to vanish as if it were never there! A heartbeat later, she reached behind my right ear and produced the bag, which I could now hear clinking as it moved.

It would have been impressive If I hadn’t seen her skill at illusion spells beforehoof.

“-she would like to do more business!” Trixie finished with a happy smile


I frowned in thought. While it would be nice to have more money, my living stipend was literally only enough to support myself after all, I wasn’t quite sure Trixie was safe to work on yet. It had been a week since I’d last worked on her, and nothing I had done was too major. And I did have the first attempt and augmenting Scootaloo’s Weather abilities to do later today… Although I could simply use a manabar...

I nodded slowly. “Well, if you are healthy enough to work on, I suppose we can make a deal. May I check?” I asked, looking Trixie over for any sign of medical problems that might be apparent.

“Trixie feels wonderful! She is certain she is fine, but go ahead and look. After all, Trixie is no doctor,” she admitted with a giggle.

“Did you just laugh at your previous injuries?” I asked with a grin as I gently probed her with my magic, checking for any signs of biomantic induced instability.

“Yes. Trixie no longer hurts when laying down, so she laughs at the old pain,” she confirmed, jingling the bag of coins in one hoof. “Trixie has four more of these. Princess Celestia is most generous with rewards it seems.”

I nodded. “Yes she definitely is. What did she reward you for, the information?”

Trixie nodded. “Yes, but Trixie also gave her a recipe for Blue Velvet Cake. Which got her an extra bag of bits.”

“Do you even know how many bits you have total?” I asked as my sweep neared its completion.

She nodded. “Nineteen thousand bits. Lyra said you would make her able to be bipedal for six thousand, so Trixie thinks she has more than enough to indulge in a few… Whims. And then reverse them later if she finds she dislikes them.”

Something about the way Trixie said whims made me raise an eyebrow suspiciously. Oh boy… What was it going to be?

“Well… You seem to be fit for more,” I said carefully as my sweep finished. “Let’s go into my temporary office and talk. I don’t have all day, I have an appointment in-” I quickly glanced up at the lobby’s clock, “an hour.”

“Oh…” Trixie frowned sadly. “Trixie was hoping for some major enhancements… And had an idea for improving her nopony to hug situation. What could Lily do for her in an hour?”

A major enhancement would definitely take more than an hour. As for the other thing… Probably less. Hay, maybe she just wanted a new face so she wouldn’t look like her fellow clones and wanted to be extra pretty. Please be that. Please don’t be something weird. Today was too stressful a day already to be something weird!

“I can probably do the small thing,” I said evenly. “But we should talk in private, there’s a work crew-”

“Whew!” Sky called from atop the stairs. “Much better… Oh, hey Trix. Gonna fight Twilight again? Can you push that back a few hours? Me and my crew are renovating this place and I’d like to-”

“Not yet,” Trixie replied in a pleased tone. “Trixie is still looking into renting a pair of airships for the occasion.”

Sky grinned ear to ear and walked past the two of us back into the dining room. “Well just put some adverts up a few days in advance. We could sell tickets. Right, everyone, back to work!”

Trixie and I stepped into the small non-work-in-progress room Night and I had occupied moments before just as the sounds of machinery fired back up.

“Sorry about the noise,” I sighed, leaning against the wall due to the lack of furniture. “So, what would you like?”

Trixie sat down, giving her cape a little pull with her magic so it fell across her rear legs like a skirt as she sat. “Trixie mentioned she likes both stallions and mares, yes?” She asked.

Oh boy… here it comes.

I shook my head. “Not to my memory… I’ll say upfront that while I will perform alterations for an individual's fetishes, it makes me a little uncomfortable and I will charge extra.”

“Trixie finds that fair enough, she charged more for private shows after all,” Trixie said before clearing her throat. “As she was saying, Trixie likes all sorts of ponies, but she keeps finding that those she finds the most pretty or kindest, always like the gender Trixie is not, be that stallion or mare. Trixie is…a bit lonely. This distresses her, so she came up with a solution!

“If Trixie had both gender’s parts, then nopony could object to her lack of the set they prefer, as she wouldn’t lack them. Therefore,Trixie would be able to get anypony she liked to snuggle!”

I almost laughed. Almost. As it was, my professionalism was able to contain everything but an amused squeak.

“Ms. Lulamoon, I think you will find that will drive off more ponies than it would attract,” I informed. “While most intersex ponies outwardly seem to have both sets, making such a look quite common, few ponies are attracted to them.”

Trixie nodded and gave me a coy smile. “Trixie understands. But she would still like to try. Maybe you are wrong.”

“Well… It might be different in Equestria,” I conceded, “but if I modified you that much, you would be stuck like that for at least a month. Also, gender dysphoria is a concern. If your body doesn't match to your self image you could become very depressed.”

“Trixie can simply hide the extra parts until you can remove them, if they bother her that is,” Trixie said dismissively. “Besides, she tried the look out before with illusions and rather likes it.”

I facehooved as she said ‘before’. “You have thought of this for a long time, haven't you?”

Trixie nodded, blushing lightly. “Yes… Trixie is… She… She needs somepony. Not just a friend. She’s seen couples and herds everywhere she’s been. The loving looks, the hugs, leaning up against one another as they walk. She needs that. So she wants to try her idea to get that in her life.”

I sighed. “Trixie, I understand wanting love. I have for years and years, but if you can use illusion to make yourself look like you have a stallions and a mare’s parts, then haven’t you used that before?”

She nodded. “Yes, Trixie has. It didn’t work, but she thinks that’s because she isn’t good at illusory smells and couldn’t duplicate the pheromones she would have.”

Buck! She had sound logic on her side. Smell is a very important part of gender, I wouldn’t be mistaken for a mare so often if I didn’t happen to smell like one. However, her plan was still dumb.

“Ms. Lulamoon, I have an ethical obligation to tell you I don’t think your idea will work,” I said as honestly as I could.

Her ears drooped sadly. “Please let Trixie try?”

I opened my mouth to say no. Trixie widened her eyes to pleading-puppy-dog size, lip trembling in genuine, barely contained sadness.

Buck! She genuinely believed that would help her. It wouldn’t. I knew it wouldn’t, not unless she got very lucky… But at the same time, sometimes a pony just had to learn for themselves.

“Oh, alright,” I sighed. “I’ll do it… For six thousand bits. And that will cover the removal whenever you want to be a regular mare again. But remember! With such a big change, I won't be able to work on you for a month. Are you sure you wouldn’t rather wait until tomorrow so I have the time to do the other things you wanted too?”

Trixie shook her head. “Trixie can wait a month to be faster, stronger, and more agile, as well as slightly taller. She would rather not wait another month before finally getting to go on a date.”

I bit my lip. She’d be doing that anyways.

“Trixie knows you think she will be anyways,” Trixie said slowly. “She’s glad you are looking out for her, but Trixie can accept the consequences of her own actions. She’s a big girl.”

“So when this fails, you won't be sad?” I asked seriously.

“No more than she is now. What does Trixie have to lose? Thirty more nights alone? That isn’t much,” she said in a very honest tone.

“Alright…” I sighed steeling myself for the job. The things I would do for money… “Fortunately for you, I’ve performed several sex changes for intersex individuals before. It won't be hard to reverse-”

“Can Trixie pick her sizes and shapes?” Trixie asked hopefully.

“Uh… Well… Yes… But I’d rather not-”

“Trixie can pay… An extra two thousand?” Trixie reminded with a small, shy, grin.

I facehooved again. “This is more than just a means to get a lover, isn’t it?”

“... Trixie is also curious about what it would feel like to be that…” She admitted, shyly looking up at the ceiling for a moment.

“Alright. Let’s do this.” Best to get the bad idea over with and get those bits put to use buying some beds for the observation rooms…

An hour later all of the details had been hammered out, and my spell finished. It had been an, experience, one I would rather not dwell on, primarily because helping somepony with a… Personal desire like that felt weird as heck to me. Now maybe if Scoots had wanted something in that more pleasure oriented vein done…

I shook my head. “Alright… It’s done. Everything’s hidden by your tail and legs from behind as you asked… I’m not sure if everything else is right, and no disrespect, but I’d rather not know.”

Trixie giggled, then wiggled her hips slightly. “This feels oddly comfortable… So, care to make a bet with Trixie? If she gets a date because of this, you owe her a free agility improvement!”

I snorted. “Pfft, deal!”

As Trixie and I shook on it, somepony knocked on the door. Assuming Sky had directed Scootaloo to the room, since she should be here now, I called, “come in dear!”

The door opened to reveal a short green shelled changeling with a long, slender needle like horn, and a pair of glowing green stripes along the edges of her shell. If I remembered correctly, that meant she was a harvester.

“Huh, well, good to know I can get a meal off you,” she joked, flashing me a grin. “But no, your marefriend is here. She and Sky got to talking, so I thought I would fetch yo-”

She trailed off as she noticed Trixie standing next to me, the bright spots in her eyes widening a little “-Uh, hi!”

I felt my heart fall a thousand meters. Trixie didn’t deserve to have weirded somepony out so soon! Literally the second she was able to live out her little fantasy-

“Hello! Trixie’s never met a changeling before, or, so she thinks,” Trixie said, returning the bugpony’s smile. “Are they all as shiny as you are?”

“No, not all of us, I buff my exoskeleton with metal polish. Are you here for gender stuff?” She asked, frowning slightly.

I watched Trixie’s nod, her eyes shrank a little, seeming to also lose a little color. Wow… Seconds. Literally seconds. I would have said ‘this is why I didn’t want to do it, Trixie’ but that would only twist the kni-

“‘Cuz you’re very pretty as you are,” the changeling added.

What?!

My eyes almost popped out of my head in shock.

Trixie broke out in the biggest grin ever.

“In fact, if you have a few hours to spare, would you mind letting me learn your shape? I wouldn’t mind looking like that sometimes! It’s neat, and interesting,” the changeling asked.

“Trixie would love to! Just let her pay for her newest features and she will happily let you do that!” Trixie exclaimed, as she conjured a bag of bits with a dramatic flourish and held it out to me with a hoof.

“Trixie told you so!” She exclaimed, sticking her tongue out at me as I took the bag, doing my best to ignore the unbearable waves of smugness rippling off the icy colored mare.

“This would never happen again in a billion years…” I muttered. Then a thought occurred to me, and I turned to look at the short changeling. “The two of you set this up, didn’t you?”

She shook her head. “No. I’ve never seen her before… Which sucks. So, Trixie right? Did you mean to imply you came here to become dual gendered? Because that’s pretty cool. I’ve shifted like that a few times to try it out. It can be pretty fun, but I prefer being pure female.”

Trixie nodded and eagerly headed for the door, “Trixie did! And she just won her bet that somepony would find her attractive because of it! Er, what is your name?”

“It’s Ayna, or if you can’t pronounce that my full name translates to Scrap Wizard,” Anya said as the two trotted down the hall.

I groaned and slid down to rest on my haunches and cradle my head in my hooves. Today was not shaping up to be my day. Like, at all. Do some work that’s a bit weird for me, instantly lose a bet… I should call Night Watch and make sure he hadn’t caught fire or anyt-

“Motherbucking son of a centaur!” I shouted angrily!

No duh a changeling would find that particular thing attractive! They can change their own biology at will however they like. Of course they would like weird things! Simple overexposure would mean the more exotic something was the more interesting it would therefore be to them. The bet was lost from the beginning, and Trixie had to have known that! That sneaky magician stacked the deck to get a free upgrade she wanted by getting something kinky she wanted to try out!

“That magnificent bastard!” I grumbled.

She was keeping that stallionhood! Buck it! That’s the price for rigging the game like that. My eternal spite on that one area!

“Uh, something wrong?” Scootaloo asked from the doorway.

I looked up to see my favorite pony looking at me with concerned eyes.

I nodded. “Ja… Trixie just pulled one over on me is all.”

Scootaloo walked in and closed the door with a wing. “Want to talk about it?” She asked gently.

“Nein… Nein… I won’t be a foal over it. I’ll just be more careful in the future… And also probably less accommodating of ponies wanting fetish upgrades…” I grumbled.

“Wait, what did she want?” Scoots asked curiously.

I blinked in surprise. I’d expected her to ask suspiciously, not curiously.

“Uh, you're not mad that I did something of that nature?” I asked in confusion.

“Nope. Hon, your shop’s right next to the Red Light district. You’re going to get a lot of ponies wanting stuff like that. It’s just business… But if you ever sleep with a client, well, that’s when I’ll be upset,” Scoots informed through narrowed in seriousness eyes.

“Noted… And why Would I? I have you,” I said giving her a smile, before frowning. “Und I would like to keep it that way… Are you sure you want to do this still? We can back out now.”

“I’m sure. Besides, do you want the last thing you did at work today to be whatever it was she wanted?” Scoots asked.

I grimaced and shook my head. “Nein!”

“Then let’s do it!” Scoots said with a big grin.

“I’d love to, but my brother might walk in,” I joked, hoping to stall long enough for her to change her mind.

Scootaloo giggled, leaned forwards and hugged me tightly to her barrel. “Come on hon, we can do that too, but later. Right now, let’s give me not-hurt-self-using-weather-powers powers!”

Right. She’d had a small stroke last time. This was as much for her safety as it was for protecting Ponyville…

“Okay,” I said solemnly. “Stand in the center of the room, please.”

As she moved into the center of the room, I fetched the scroll I had prepared from the top of the room’s desk and moved to her side. “Alright, I’m going to check to see if it’s safe to work on you first.”

As she nodded, I reached out with my magic and connected with her as gently as I possibly could. Having worked on her so recently and so drastically, even the simple act of directly probing her could lead to issues.

I spent longer than I needed to checking. Everything about her seemed to be in good health. My fix for her wings was taking nicely, no signs of degradation or cancer in her where older parts had been replaced. My magic still worked at replacing parts of her, and I could see a ton of Twilight’s magic as well, following mine and sort of supporting it.

That was odd, but it didn’t seem to be hurting anything. Quite the contrary, it seemed to be helping. Maybe that explained her absurd weather powers. If so, it would mean the scroll I had prepared using her genome from last time would work better than I had hoped.

“You seem to be fine… Are you sure you don’t want to back out?” I asked one last time.

She shook her head. “No. You said earlier that nopony else was volunteering. If I’m the only one, then I can’t back down.”

“Okay,” I sighed. “If this hurts tell me an I’ll stop immediately.”

As she nodded I slowly focused my magic, targeting the most stable areas of her body as I got ready to activate the scroll.

I gulped nervously.

I felt my heart twitch in fear.

I focused, built the delivery lines, anchored them, checked the flow. I took a deep breath to make sure I was working completely calmly, and activated the scroll.

The magic burned along the delivery lines, sinking into muscle and bone, quickly making the slight adjustments I had planned out. She drank in the magic greedily, as if her body needed it. I almost stopped casting as Twilight’s residual magic flared, but kept going as I noticed it went to help fuel the transformation I was guiding.

Then, seemingly too quickly, it was done. My magic’s blue glow faded, leaving Scootaloo standing freely in the middle of the room.

I let out a long breath as she turned and smiled at me. “Do you feel alright?” I asked. “Nothing burns?”

She shook her head. “Nope! Everything feels great, the headaches are even g-”

Scootaloo stopped speaking mid sentence. All of her muscles sized and cramped in unison. She toppled sideways. I dove with a cry of pure fear, catching her as she fell. To my horror, as I held her her muscles started to degenerate! Withering away like a plant in an oven!

“Nein! Nein! Nein! Ficken nein!” I shrieked.

I couldn’t tell if my heart was beating. I didn’t know if I was breathing. All I knew is that she was dying horribly, and it was all my fault!

I couldn’t think. All I could do was feel. Feel as I threw every single ounce of magic I had left at her with nothing behind it but all of the anger, self-loathing, fear, and desperation within my heart.

I don’t know how long my spell lasted. I didn’t know what it was even doing as the blue energy crackled over her rigid body. But just as I felt the last drop of magic leave me, the withering death stopped.

As my own vision started to dim from exhaustion and mana burn, I saw her muscles start to heal themselves. As I collapsed I could only hope they would heal enough.