• Published 4th Feb 2016
  • 7,764 Views, 152 Comments

The Pantheon - Pylon Constructor



A guy meets a bum at a bus stop. The bum offered to turn him into whatever he dreamed to be at a small price. The man didn't believe him and jokingly said Zeus. Now, in modern times, the man rules the world, and things seem like a Percy Jackson book.

  • ...
16
 152
 7,764

7. I Make a Camper Explode

The following week after that windy dinner went by slowly. I attributed that mostly to the fact that Fluttershy was claimed by her mother two days after our first dinner here. It was during the Hermes cabin’s turn to help haul the strawberries off to storage, much to the grumbling of everyone in the cabin. But Holly, one of the members of the Demeter cabin, is one heck of a nagger.

“We put our hard efforts into making them grow, the least you could do is help move them!” she growled at one of the slackers in our group. Unable to bear the nag anymore, the poor Hermes kid scampered off to help move another crate of strawberries.

I was just returning from storage when I saw everyone not working, instead they were crowded around something. I saw a strange greenish light floating above everyone’s head and quickly ran up to see what was going on.

“What’s going on?” I asked to nobody in particular.

“That new girl is being claimed!” said one of the undetermined campers.

As far as I knew there were only two new girls here at camp. And I didn’t remember having any strange symbol appear over my head. I shoved my way through the campers, much to their protest, and stopped at the innermost edge of the crowd. I saw Fluttershy standing in the middle of the group looking like she’d rather be anywhere else than here, being glomped by Holly and a couple of the other Demeter cabin kids.

“I’m so glad I have another sister!” Holly shouted, squeezing Fluttershy just a little tighter.

“I, um, I’m glad too?” Fluttershy barely wheezed out.

Holly let go of her, much to her gasping relief, and clapped her hands. “Oh, we simply must celebrate!” She looked at the rest of us and made a shooing motion, “You guys have the rest of this activity period off, shoo!”

The Demeter kids hauled Fluttershy off with them, heading to their cabin. I stood in the middle of the strawberry field looking lost. On one hand I was happy that Fluttershy would be able to find people who share more similar interests, and that she finally knows who her mother is. On the other, I was now alone in the Hermes cabin. Besides Fluttershy and Wild, I didn’t know anyone here. Fluttershy was a sweet girl, she’d be able to make friends quickly.

But I’ll admit… I felt just a tad jealous of her.

The next few days after that was mostly filled with beginner’s combat practice against each other or another cabin that joined us, something I actually looked forward to each time. We were partnered with the Ares cabin on Thursday and none of our cabin looked all too thrilled about that. I understood why, Ares was suppose to be the god of war so his children would be really good fighters. There was also the fact that none of them were nice, a few of them even eye me with funny looks. Luckily, since I was the newest of the new, I was spared being put up against one of the Ares cabin members. Instead the Hermes counselor Swift was my instructor.

The head of the two cabins, as the most experienced campers in the group, demonstrated basic sword techniques to us both slowed down and in normal time. After that we were separated into pairs to work on what we were showed until they felt it was time to move on.

“That’s it, but keep your stance a little wider Rainbow,” Swift said, swatting my thigh with the flat of his sword. I wouldn’t have minded that as much if I was actually able to even lay a hit on him during our session.

“You won’t be instantly good at this, it takes years of practice,” he punctuated this by knocking my sword aside with the greatest of ease. “I was as bad as you when I started.”

This guy really knew how to motivate someone, we were barely into our session and I wanted to wipe that smug grin off his face. I grumbled something along the lines of getting better than him within the summer, to which he grinned infuriatingly at me and made the spar all the harder. When the sword sparring was finished I was gasping and leaning my body on my knees. Most of the others weren’t much better, though the two counselors and the older campers were barely breaking a sweat. I suspected that was because of the sun beating down on all of us and not because we put up too much of a fight.

After a quick water break we moved on to spears and practiced those on dummies instead of each other. I enjoyed this kind of weapon far more than the sword, and it was apparent in my much more enthusiastic practicing. I later learned that while learning this stuff is important to surviving out in the world, it is also so that you can do better in a capture the flag game the camp plays every Friday night. I’ll admit I was skeptical about how sword play would be useful in a children’s game.

But it turns out that this place takes the game to a whole different level. As explained by Swift during our spear practice you were decked out in full combat gear and placed on opposite sides of a creek out in the forest. Typically the Ares and Athena cabins lead the two teams, which worried Swift. I mirrored his view on that and wondered what Chiron was thinking letting the two cabins play this game.

Nevertheless, tomorrow night we will be playing a much more risky game of capture the flag and Swift wanted to make sure I would not die a horrible death on that night. Which is why he wanted to be my partner.

The rest of the day was a free day, to spend doing less strenuous things to let our bodies rest. I found myself trying the arts and crafts area and quickly found out that I was not all that great at it when I accidentally flung a hammer onto a Apollo kid’s foot. It slipped out my hand when I raised it to hammer in a nail on my own project. He ended up hopping around in pain and accidentally knock over the projects of the other campers. After he was looked at by his other siblings I was quickly escorted out of the arts and crafts area and asked to not be in the area while they were.

That was fine, the birdhouse I was trying to make looked like it was about to fall apart at any moment anyway.

As I had nothing to do for the rest of the day I decided to walk around the camp commons area in between the cabins. It was actually a nice looking spot, filled with marble statues, flower beds, fountains, and benches. There were even basketball hoops and a stone ringed fire pit that had a fire burning at this very moment.

“Hey! New kid!” A gruff voice shouted from behind me.

Sadly my walk didn’t get to last long, I turned around and spied two of the Ares kids that keep giving me those weird looks. I doubted they wanted to have a serious discussion about important matters, they didn’t look like the brainy type. Then again, neither did I.

“What?” I asked, it came off as a bit rude but I wasn’t up for being nice right now.

The Ares kid smirked at me. “Got a bit of attitude in ya, I like that.” He folded his arms and his friend slowly started circling around behind me. “But this camp has a bit of an... initiation ceremony so to speak.”

I didn’t let either of these guys out of my sight for long, moving myself in ever so slight ways. “Initiation ceremony huh? Sounds more like posturing to make yourselves feel better because of any certain… inadequacies.”

These guys weren’t as dumb as they looked, they clearly got the hidden insult if the cherry red color their heads were rocking was any indication.

“Well newbie, you just earned yourself two ceremonies. Consider yourself lucky,” he lunged at me, trying to get me into a grapple.

I backpedaled as fast as I could, almost tripping over a marble bench in the process. I caught myself in time to keep myself from falling on my butt, but I was unable to dodge the other kid’s grab. I fought valiantly, but this guy refused to let go as he got me into a full nelson. My kicking and jerking came to a halt as the first guy jabbed me in the stomach.

As I coughed and tried to get my breath back he towered over me with a condescending grin on his face. “If you just gave in, this wouldn’t have to be so hard ya know.”

“Bite me,” I wheezed out.

His annoying grin stayed right where it was even as his friend sniggered behind me, “After we’re done with you your little newbie friend is next. Just because she’s been claimed doesn’t mean she gets to walk off easy.”

That sentence made something snap in my head as my thrashing stopped. There are many things I hate, and my friends getting hurt or worse when I could’ve done something about it was one of them. I refused to sit back and watch Fluttershy get hurt or humiliated by these thugs.

The big jerk in front of me noticed my lack of movement and took it as a sign of acceptance.

“Ah, see. Now you should’ve done this from the start. Too bad though, you and your friend will be drinking toilet water by the end of the day.”

“No,” I muttered, so softly I doubt he even heard it. A pungent stench of ozone filled my nostrils.

“What?” He asked, leaning in with a large, ugly ear facing me.

“Uh, dude. You smell that?” His friend asked him, his grip relaxing ever so slightly.

“No!” I screamed. Time seemed to slow for me as I jabbed my elbow into the guy who was holding me square in the kidney. He grunted in surprise as I ducked out of his grasp, quickly slamming a fist into the first guy’s cheek, ever so conveniently placed in front of me. He went tumbling down as his friend recovered from my elbow jab.

He tried swinging a meaty fist at me but I leaned back and let it sail past my nose as he over extended the strike, obviously not expecting a newbie like me to be able to dodge it. With his guard out of whack I let loose my best and strongest forward kick, a kick that managed to win several soccer games in the past, right into his exposed crotch. He went down with a hoarse and pitiful scream, cupping his soccer balls.

My original assailant had gotten back up and glowered at me for hurting his friend. My back was mostly turned away from him so I was forced to roll to the side to avoid his attack. Campers had started to trickle in, likely attracted by the other Ares kid’s scream.

“Oh, it is so on kid! When I’m finished with you there won’t be even a smear left!” He screamed at me.

I didn’t bother with a retort and as he charged me I felt a slight pull in my center as I thought about what he had planned for me, what he had planned for Fluttershy. I couldn’t let that happen. Once more I smelt ozone in the air and clenched my hands in rage.

When he was only a few feet away I did the thing that felt natural at the time, I pushed at the charging enemy.

The second my hands connected with his chest a deafening boom rocked the common area and the Ares kid was sent flying back the way he came. His orange camp shirt was now sporting two smoking holes the size of my palms as he lay on the ground unconscious.

I was breathing heavily as I continued to glare at the fallen guy, and I could swear I could hear some of the onlooking campers mutter amongst themselves.

“Did you see that?”

“It looked like lightning!”

“But that’s impossible!”

“Wait! Look! She’s sparking!”

I didn’t hear much more as Chiron came rushing in, depositing an Apollo camper off his back who rushed off to look at the fallen kid. It was likely that he was in his master’s archery course not too long ago. After making sure the Ares kid wasn’t dead he slowly made his way over to me. He didn’t look angry, or disappointed, he just stared somewhere over my head.

“It wasn’t my fault,” I hurriedly began, pointing at the two downed campers. “They-”

Chiron held up a hand, “Do not fret child.” He then pointed at something above my head, “Look.”

I looked. And what I saw was a bright blue, glowing, lightning bolt shaped hologram thing that was spinning ever so slowly above my head. I stood there in the middle of the common area staring at the symbol like a moron, not truly getting what I was seeing.

It was Chiron speaking and the other campers kneeling that brought me back to the present.

“It has been determined. Your father is Zeus, King of Olympus, god of justice, honor, rain, wielder of lightning. Hail Rainbow Dash, daughter of the Sky God.” With that oddly formal thing out of the way Chiron himself kneeled along with the rest of the campers.

For some strange reason, I doubted I’d be able to play my first game of capture the flag tomorrow night.

Author's Note:

Eh, break not really needed. That's good.