• Published 16th Jan 2016
  • 2,321 Views, 21 Comments

Heritage - bahatumay



Rainbow Dash discovers something about her past. Turns out she's half earth pony.

  • ...
5
 21
 2,321

Farming

“Up and at ‘em, Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow let out a pained groan and batted weakly at the general direction of the voice with a hoof.

That groan doubled again as Applejack grabbed the blankets with her teeth and yanked them off, abruptly exposing Rainbow Dash to the cool morning air. “Rainbow, you want to be like an earth pony, you’ve gotta get up like one. That means now, Sugarcube.”

“Can't we just cuddle for a while?” Rainbow wheedled, burying her face back in the pillow.

“Morning sex train left thirty five minutes ago, Rainbow. Now it’s time for work.”

Rainbow’s ears pricked up. “Morning sex?” she asked through the pillow.

“I woke you up and offered,” Applejack said, trying—and failing—to hide a smirk, “but you said, and I quote, ‘uhhghmhmgh’ and rolled back over and fell back asleep.”

Rainbow scowled. She didn’t remember that.

“Maybe tomorrow,” Applejack grinned as she pulled her hat over her head. With a deft toss, she plopped Rainbow’s hat on her head. “Last warning ‘afore I drag you out by your tail!”

Rainbow grumbled something incomprehensible under her breath as she slowly pulled herself out of bed. She collapsed on the ground with a thunk, and with a groan, elected to lay there a bit longer.

I'll show you, she silently promised as she made an effort to stand up.

Her hoof gave way and she landed with a thump back on the ground. She grimaced. Tomorrow…

* * *

Applejack whistled contentedly to herself as she finished hitching Rainbow Dash up to the wagon. “Now, remember,” she said as she pulled the strap tight. “Cart has to go around the orchard, I’ll be bucking, while Mac gets the baskets ready in the barn. Apple Bloom will be catching apples and loading the full baskets into your cart. Keep it moving; it’s easier to keep the cart moving than…”

Her voice trailed off. Rainbow Dash had her head bowed and was snoring softly. She was asleep on her hooves.

“Rainbow!”

Rainbow jumped. “I'm awake!” she cried, looking wildly around.

“Uh-huh,” Applejack deadpanned. “Look, if you need another few hours to sleep-”

“No!” Rainbow nearly shouted, standing up straight.

Applejack held up a hoof placatingly. “I won’t think poorly of you-”

“I can do it!” Rainbow strode forward confidently. “I’m not even tired!” Digging her hooves into the dirt, she pushed forward, pulling the cart behind her.

Applejack let her take a few strides forward before clearing her throat. “Uh, Rainbow?”

“What?”

“We’re doing the east orchard today, Rainbow.”

“Oh.” Rainbow blinked. She glanced up at the sky and quickly realized that she was going west. “I knew that.”

* * *

Rainbow dragged the cart and stopped in front of Applejack. “I am here,” she announced.

“Rainbow?”

“I have gotten here and I made Macintosh wait for me!”

“Rainbow.”

“I’m catching up! I’m getting faster!”

“Rainbow!”

“What?” Finally, Rainbow Dash looked around, and realized that Applejack was waiting, leaning against the tree, with still-empty baskets around her hooves. “We’re done?” she gasped.

Apple Bloom giggled. “Nope. It’s breakfast time, now. Come on!”

Rainbow Dash pulled at one of the straps on her hitches. “Sweet!” She took a step forward, but found herself jerked to a halt. She hadn’t managed to unattach herself from the cart.

Applejack reached up with a hoof and pulled lightly on a different strap. The whole harness fell loose, setting her free. She couldn’t help but smirk as she headed back to the farmhouse.

Rainbow merely glowered.

* * *

Granny Smith prodded Rainbow Dash with the butt end of a serving spoon. “You awake there, young filly?” she asked.

Rainbow’s eyes opened. “Huh? Yeah. I'm awake. Why?”

Granny Smith shrugged. “Er, no reason. You’re just nappin’ on a pancake, that’s all.”

Rainbow realized that she was, indeed, resting her head on a pancake. She quickly sat up, and as she did, she flung apple syrup across the table. She winced as she watched it fly through the air and hit Macintosh in the nose.

He merely cracked a smile and wiped it off with a piece of toast, which he quickly popped into his mouth.

Rainbow glowered at nothing in particular as she picked up her fork. The fur on her cheek was all sticky from the syrup, but she resisted the temptation to lick at it. She would not show weakness.

* * *

Dinner with the Apple Family was always an enjoyable experience. Besides the mountains of things to eat, the dining room was aglow with the sound of food steaming and pleasant conversation.

This time, though, there was a new sound, one that Applejack didn’t quite recognize. She glanced over to see if Rainbow had heard it, too; only to find that Rainbow was the source. She was slumped over on the table in front of her apple pie, snoring softly.

Apple Bloom noticed and giggled. “Guess she had a long day.”

Applejack slowly adjusted her hat. “Yeah, she did; but I’ll say this for her: she did last the whole day.”

“Eeyup,” Macintosh agreed, nonchalantly reaching over her prone body for her abandoned slice of pie.

Applejack smiled wryly. “But I doubt she’ll be up for it tomorrow.”

Macintosh cracked a smile. “Nope.”

* * *

Bright and early the next morning, Applejack stood, lookinng over the fields. “Hm,” she mused. “Hey, Rainbow?”

Rainbow's eyes flicked open, and she smacked her lips. “Mh?” she answered blearily.

“Mac’s gonna need to plow this, and it’s hard as a rock. You mind gettin’ us some water?”

“No problem.” Rainbow raised a hoof in a shaky salute and turned around, ducking back into the harness.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “You can’t, I dunno, grab a cloud or something?”

“I’m half earth pony,” Rainbow answered. “So I’m going to do things the earth pony way.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “The ‘earth pony way’ is to ask a pegasus to help out, Rainbow.”

“But I’m being an earth pony,” Rainbow said, emphasizing 'earth pony'. “Hauling it from the river it is!”

Applejack shook her head as Rainbow began to drag the cart. This was shaping up to be a long week.