• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 15,856 Views, 544 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Becomes a Changeling Queen, Book 1 - bahatumay



Twilight Sparkle has been through some interesting changes in her life. She wasn't quite ready for this one.

  • ...
30
 544
 15,856

Chapter 10

Twilight woke up early the next morning feeling very confident and surprisingly alert. Though it was still dark outside, she hopped out of bed, her body full of energy and her mind full of ideas. “Let's do this!” she proclaimed, her mane flowing in a wind only she could feel.

She jumped and spun around at the sound of a loud yawn behind her. Celestia rubbed her eyes with a hoof. She clearly did not share Twilight's morning enthusiasm.

“Princess? Are you ok?” A brief worry ran through Twilight's mind. Had she inadvertently drained Celestia during the night?

Celestia closed her eyes, mentally calculated the time, and groaned. Eyes still screwed tightly shut, she lit her horn and raised the sun with a lazy toss of her head.

Twilight couldn’t help but crack a smile. This was a far cry from the time she’d gracefully raised the sun at that fateful Summer Sun Celebration.

Celestia fought to suppress a yawn. “I am fine, Twilight. Mornings, though, have never been my friends. I am princess of the sun, not necessarily the princess of the early morning,” Celestia joked with a half-smile.*

“Oh, well, I have plenty of energy! I bet I could…” Twilight hopped onto the bed and crossed her horn with Celestia's.

Celestia tried to pull back. “Twilight, you don't…”

But it was too late. With a spark of purple magic that held just a tinge of green, Twilight transferred a pulse of energy through her horn and bounced back. “How was that?” she asked, seemingly none the worse for the wear.

Celestia paused as the strange sensation coursed through her. “I feel… awake,” she admitted, “and refreshed.”

“Oh, good. I was hoping that would work. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got tests to run and new experiments to try!” Apparently, she still had plenty of energy, as she quite literally leaped off the bed and sprinted out of Celestia's room. Celestia watched her go with a smile on her face. Twilight had grown so much…

Her musings were interrupted by a polite cough next to her. “It's good to see you up so early, your majesty,” Raven said pleasantly. “And how would you like your tea this morning?”

Celestia pondered for a moment before answering. “This morning I believe I shall dispense with the tea.”

Raven blinked. She could honestly say that was one of the last things she had expected to hear.

A slow smile spread across Celestia's face. “Instead, bring me a stack of scones, and that stack of paperwork I keep putting off. I'm feeling awake and alive today, Raven, and I intend to take full advantage of it!”

Raven hesitated only briefly before bowing. “At once, your highness.” As she left, she briefly considered the possibility that Celestia had been replaced by a changeling during the night; but then realized that that was impossible. Paperwork made ponies want to kill themselves; a changeling (and one without caffeine at that) would happily throw itself out the window within the first two minutes.

* * *

Bruch poked his head into Twilight's chambers. "Princess? You summoned me?"

"I did," Twilight said, looking up from her writing and pulling over a new piece of paper. “It has come to my attention that we don't have a lot of food supplies.”

Bruch winced. The changelings had come to a silent agreement that they wouldn't bring this up; Chrysalis had left a bad impression about food desperation. “It's true, your majesty,” he admitted.

Twilight didn't seem to notice his hesitation. “And since it now falls to me to make sure that that changes, I've been brainstorming. I think I have a few ideas on how to increase our food supply. Would you like to test them out with me?"

“It would require going to Equestria proper, right?” Bruch asked hesitantly.

Twilight nodded.

"I am not well-trained in infiltration," Bruch confessed, shuffling uncomfortably. "I’m much more comfortable staying here. Not that I won't accompany you if you want me to, of course; but…"

“I’d hate to make you do anything you’re uncomfortable with,” Twilight cut him off. “Do you know any changeling in particular you think I should bring?”

Bruch smiled. “I know a couple. I think you’ll like them.”

* * *

Twilight walked through the halls, accompanied by two changelings Bruch had recommended. They were called Nemri and Ithir, and they were twins. Twins weren't unheard of among the changelings, but they were still a fairly rare occurrence. And, much like pony twins, they seemed to be very close and even shared the same sense of humor.

It was fun to see the guards stiffen slightly as they passed. They didn't dare say anything, not with Twilight walking with them, but it clearly made them uncomfortable to have changelings prancing through the halls.

Not as uncomfortable as Spike, though. When they rounded the corner and he saw her, he waved and said something that sounded like, “Oh, hey Twili- aiiiii!” and then sprinted down the hallway.

Obviously, this was cause for alarm. Startled, Twilight could only watch as he ran off. “Spike?” she called, giving chase. “Spike!” She followed him as he ran into Cadence's room. His legs had grown slightly during the Incident, and Twilight found herself hard-pressed to keep up. She found herself feeling impressed against her will.

Twilight followed him in, but he was nowhere to be seen. “Spike?” she asked, looking desperately for him. “Spike, what happened? Are you alr-?”

Cadence suddenly burst into the room, head down and horn aglow, with Spike hiding behind her hind legs. Twilight took a step back. Cadence had never shown aggression towards her before; not even when she accidentally lit her wings on fire.

Though the changelings quickly ducked against the wall for cover, they were seemingly unfazed by this show of power. In fact, they seemed more curious than anything else. “That’s the princess of love?” Nemri asked.

“She’s prettier than I imagined, especially with how Chrysalis described her,” Ithir said.

“Right. And not too scary, either.”

“I'll say. By pony standards, I’d say she’s downright beautiful.”

“She needs fangs. That's all that's missing, really.”

“She'd look great even if she just had an inch and a half.”

“Mhm.”

This somewhat awkward conversation continued, but Twilight lost track as she ducked a bolt of shooting magic from Cadence. “Cadence, what are yo-?”

“Don’t call me that! What have you done with Twilight?”

“I am Twilight!”

But that's as far as she got. Now that their queen was in danger, it was time for action; and Nemri and Ithir tackled Cadence with a perfectly executed combination tackle. One changeling went high around her neck from one side, and one went low around her fetlocks from the other, and their combined rotational inertia brought her down to the ground easily. Cadence was slightly dazed from the impact, but didn't let that stop her. She flared her wings and grit her teeth as she struggled to stand up, but Nemri forcibly pushed her horn to the ground with a hoof and was about to hock a giant slime loogie on it when Twilight stomped.

“Let her go!” she ordered.

Nemri looked at her in confusion, but a second later obeyed, releasing Cadence and hovering in the air nearby.

Twilight held her breath as Cadence stumbled to her hooves. “Cadence, I…”

“Don't call me that!” Cadence snapped.

Twilight struggled for comprehension. “Why? What did I do? It's me, Cadence! It's really me!”

“Liar! You got the eyes wrong!”

“I am! It’s me, I swear!”

“Prove it! Tell me something only the real Twilight would know!”

Twilight thought quickly, and something she'd thought long forgotten came to mind. “Well, there’s... no, I couldn’-”

“Tell me!”

Twilight buried her face in her hooves as she provided the proof. “When I was in seventh grade I saw you and Shining Armor having anal sex on my bed, but I didn’t know what you were doing until I asked Princess Celestia two days later!”

Cadence froze, and suddenly her fur was not the only thing making her face pink. Yes. That she could believe. She remembered that; though she hadn't realized Twilight had seen. Still, that would definitely explain the intense grilling she had received from Celestia over dinner later that week about the more physical aspects of her element.

Behind Twilight, Nemri smirked. “Toldja she looked like a butt mare,” he said, jabbing the other in the ribs. Ithir sighed and bent over. With striking similarity to a cat puking up a hairball, he gagged violently, and a small chunk of sickly-pink glowing material formed on his tongue. With a few deft motions, he formed it into a ball, which he passed to the first changeling. Nemri grinned and proceeded to pop it open on a fang and then suck out the contents.

“That was disgusting,” Twilight said, gagging.

Cadence flushed even brighter red, and couldn't quite meet her eyes. “A- actually, it takes a bit of preparation, but it’s quite pleasurable if done righ-”

“I meant the changeling.”

“Sorry,” Cadence said.

“Sorry, Princess,” the changelings repeated in unison.

“It’s fine,” Twilight said, “but what I don’t get is why you and Spike both tried to attack me.”

Cadence looked down and back up nervously, unsure how to break it to her. “We thought you were a changeling copy of Twilight.”

“Why would you think that?” Twilight laughed. “They wouldn't do that.”

Nemri and Ithir shook their heads. “Not unless ordered.”

Twilight scowled. She was mildly relieved to remember that they couldn't understand changeling.

Spike and Cadence shared a look before Spike broke the news. “It’s your eyes.”

“My what?”

Cadence lit her horn and hesitantly brought over a mirror. Twilight took it and looked at her reflection... and then screamed.

The irises of her normally purple eyes had changed, becoming a sickly shade of green.

* * *

Back in her bedroom, Twilight was definitely freaking out. She paced relentlessly. “Ok, this is bad. This is really bad; but it's explainable. You can explain this. It's explainable, I'm sure of it. There's a perfectly logical explanation for this.” Twilight continued to pace, not noticing or caring that she was wearing a rut in the thick carpet.

The two changelings shared a look. “A logical explanation for what, your highness?” Nemri asked.

“Why my eyes are like this! It's too fast to be an adaptation, but it doesn't feel like a spell. It can't be a prank…”

Cadence glared at the two changelings standing nearby. “Gee, I wonder who could be responsible.”

Ithir glared back and then burst into flames, and then there stood another Cadence, though this copy was a bit smaller than the original. He waggled his head and stuck his tongue out with a mocking “Rethponthibibble!”

Cadence shot to her hooves and lit her horn, but Twilight jumped in between them and held out her hooves, keeping them apart. “Decloak,” she snarled at Ithir.

Ithir did so instantly, and had the decency to look abashed.

She turned to Cadence and held a hoof to her own chest for a moment before extending it. Cadence was chagrined at being shown something she herself had taught Twilight; but after a few seconds' hesitation, brought her hoof up and out, breathing out as she did.

“Good,” Twilight said calmly. “I won't have you two fighting. Now, I can return to freaking out.” She teleported back to her previous location on the carpet and continued wearing a rut through it.

Ithir and Nemri looked at each other, then back at Twilight. Ithir shuffled slightly. “It's because you're a queen now,” he said. “That's literally what it is.”

“But what does that have to do with what's happening to me?” Twilight demanded.

Ithir coughed. “Anyone who kills a changeling queen becomes themselves a changeling queen. I'm not sure how else I can say that.”

Twilight froze as the impact of these words hit her. “Wait… so that means… I’m going to become Chrysalis?”

It was Spike and Cadence's turn to share a look, though theirs was a bit more shocked than confused.

“You’ll become a queen,” Nemri emphasized. “Taller, stronger, beautiful set of fangs, more magical abilities than the rest of us changelings combined, that sort of thing.”

Twilight took a shaky breath. “Can I at least keep my mane?” she whimpered.

Nemri bit his lower lip. His queen needed support; as much as he would like to crack a joke, he couldn't. “You’re a changeling now, and a changeling queen no less. You can do whatever you want and look however you choose.”

Twilight was far from comforted. She looked up at Cadence. “What have I done?” she whispered.

Cadence hesitated--she hadn’t understood the changelings’ half of the conversation--but then sat next to her and pulled her head onto her chest, just as she had done when Twilight was a filly.

Author's Note:

*Possibly relevant.